PDA

View Full Version : Rome II

Koshinn
09-23-13, 20:45
Anyone here play Rome II Total War?

I've been playing a lot lately between Squadron Officer School, studying for the CISSP, practicing chess, and sleeping a lot.

After a lot of trial and error, I've decided that my favorite nation is Ptolemaic Egypt, which is fitting since my username is Skhmt. The ability to field the best phalangites, long swordsman, and archers along with the second or third best cav AND war elephants is just too good to pass up. I beat down a Spartan phalanx with hoplite support the other day and slaughtered a Roman praetorian blob whose player thought it was a good idea to charge directly into a thicket of sarissa.

I used to play Macedon, but their lack of good melee infantry and elephants made me sad. They do have good melee cav though... But their main appeal, the phalanx, can be done just as well by Egypt, but with better support. Long swords are vital to my version of the phalanx, able to deal with any skirmishers or units trying to flank my phalangites. Also, war elephants absolutely maul cav and most infantry... Yes they get sad when shot with flaming arrows (who wouldn't?), but that's why I use archers, to beat enemy missile infantry.

So my plan is basically kill their javelins or slingers with my archers, march my phalanx towards them, best their cav with elephants, then roll up their flanks with said elephants and additional cav support. Sort of hammer & anvil in principle, but my phalanx makeup is completely different than what Alexander would have done.

I can beat straight up pike boxes because of my massive arrow/javelin support (elephants and swordsmen have javelins too). Smart Romans give me a little trouble though, since testudo makes them hard to hurt with arrows, they all have pila, and they aren't hurt quite as much by flanking. I end up having to actually out think them.

Magic_Salad0892
09-24-13, 08:13
I've been playing a lot lately between Squadron Officer School, studying for the CISSP, practicing chess, and sleeping a lot.

I actually laughed when I saw this.

Koshinn
09-24-13, 08:52
I actually laughed when I saw this.

That's how I roll.

So far, the medium chess AI beats me into the ground.

duece71
09-24-13, 12:35
I haven't played Rome Total War but I have a copy of Shogun Total War and by far is the most entertaining game I have played. My copy has to be 10-15 years old. I love it. Samurai feudal warfare at its finest!

Koshinn
09-24-13, 13:00
I haven't played Rome Total War but I have a copy of Shogun Total War and by far is the most entertaining game I have played. My copy has to be 10-15 years old. I love it. Samurai feudal warfare at its finest!

Shogun was great as well. I played some Shogun II and had a lot of fun with that, but Shogun in general is a simpler game than Rome. Rome has a much bigger variety of units, many more nations that are actually different, and a much bigger map. Both are great fun though!

duece71
09-25-13, 06:14
Sounds like a game I could get into, is Rome total war still being sold? I haven't seen shogun tw for many years.

Koshinn
09-25-13, 06:46
Sounds like a game I could get into, is Rome total war still being sold? I haven't seen shogun tw for many years.

Yeah, on steam

kwelz
09-25-13, 12:18
I would love to play it. But it is so amazingly broken that I can't take more than 5 minutes of it at a time. Waiting for all the fixes.

Koshinn
09-25-13, 12:33
I would love to play it. But it is so amazingly broken that I can't take more than 5 minutes of it at a time. Waiting for all the fixes.

What's broken about it?

In terms of balance, elite units utterly destroy an equal cost of less elite units, cav with spears are pretty bad, Oathsworn and Galatian Guard are just good at killing everything, elephants aren't as good as they should be, and a few other things...

Replays don't work at all. The computer takes a long time in campaign mode. The AI is horrible at fighting battles.

But the game works.

kwelz
09-25-13, 12:55
Broken AI video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpIENG0Y2k)

Angry Joe Angry Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8)