PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms 1-6 scope

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 02:38
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-Reticle-p/pa1-6xrbd.htm

Marshall came out with what I think will be a winner for the entry level optic market. I got to play with this scope on a friends rifle at last weeks match. The reticle was good and easy to use. The illumination was not daylight visible but the reticle was bold enough that it could be used quickly. Marshall has always sponsored the matches we have hosted up here. He stands behind what he sells. So if your looking for a 1-6 scope in the sub $300 market this one is it.
Pat

Koshinn
09-24-13, 06:05
So besides illumination, what make this worse than a vortex razor 2?

Grand58742
09-24-13, 06:13
Did the BDC reticle work as advertised or were you able to shoot at extended ranges?

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 06:23
So besides illumination, what make this worse than a vortex razor 2?

Its no 1400 scope. The clarity is no where near the same and the field of view is smaller. But for the $300 or less market its the best I have scene.
Pat

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 06:24
Did the BDC reticle work as advertised or were you able to shoot at extended ranges?

Not me but check the video out on the link I posted. They shot out to 700 yards.

DTakas
09-24-13, 07:21
- - - - -

Caeser25
09-24-13, 21:42
I'm taking mine out Thursday. This is my first variable optic so I won't really have anything to compare it to though.

lunchbox
09-24-13, 22:18
My PA scope just started to give me problems:(. The eye piece developed a rattle, then some internal part came loose(fell down and is bouncing around) and can see in scope. Still holds zero. Never had one problem from their red dots, but the scopes (for me at least) I was less than impressed. BTW warranty for the scopes was for a year and mine lasted 11/2.

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 22:40
My PA scope just started to give me problems:(. The eye piece developed a rattle, then some internal part came loose(fell down and is bouncing around) and can see in scope. Still holds zero. Never had one problem from their red dots, but the scopes (for me at least) I was less than impressed. BTW warranty for the scopes was for a year and mine lasted 11/2.

Marshall will take care of you even if it is past warranty generally. He is a stand up guy.
Pat

lunchbox
09-24-13, 22:51
Marshall will take care of you even if it is past warranty generally. He is a stand up guy.
PatWas out of warranty so I didn't even try. I guess I'll shoot them an email and hope.

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 22:57
Was out of warranty so I didn't even try. I guess I'll shoot them an email and hope.

Yes call him or email him.
Pat

TAZ
09-26-13, 15:07
You guys that have them, please post up some reviews. It seems like an interesting optic, especially at the sub $300 price point. Not a huge fan of BDC reticles, but hey at that price point I can't bitch too much.

Joe Mamma
09-26-13, 17:11
I've compared the 1-4X24 (not the 1-6x) Primary Arms scope to a Vortex 1-4X24 Viper side by side.

The PA scope is about $120 and the Vortex is about $480. The Vortex has an illuminated reticle and the PA does not. [edited to add ->] The PA scope simply has an illuminated red dot in the center of the cross hairs.

The images are brighter, clearer, and sharper with the PA scope. I couldn't believe it.

But the caps and screws for elevation/windage on the PA scope feel like cheap junk, and they are very high quality on the Vortex. Actually, everything about the PA is worse than the Vortex other than the image quality. I'm not even sure if the PA scope tracks properly.

I would not trust a PA scope for serious use. But I would consider them for anything else.

Joe Mamma

dwhitehorne
09-27-13, 14:39
This is the best review I've seen so far. I hope to get out to the range with mine next week. David

http://fnforum.net/forums/optics-mounts-sights/49468-primary-arms-1-6x-initial-impressions-review.html

Caeser25
10-04-13, 05:54
I returned mine. I didn't like the small eye box. Coming from a TA33, I might be looking for a unicorn in the variable field looking for something with the same size eye box. I might also need something with a 1" tube. With the TA33 and both eyes open I could see the same object with my left eye that I could with my right through the glass.

Failure2Stop
10-04-13, 08:08

Is this for the 1-4, or the 1-6 (the topic of this thread)?

brickboy240
10-04-13, 09:56
I have actually toyed with the idea of mounting one of those on my M&P15-22.

If I was to do this...how high would the rings have to be in order to co-witness with my MBUS irons?

Medium is too low...I know this because I have a set and tried it.

High or Extra High 30mm rings?

-brickboy240

Failure2Stop
10-04-13, 10:05
I have actually toyed with the idea of mounting one of those on my M&P15-22.

If I was to do this...how high would the rings have to be in order to co-witness with my MBUS irons?

Medium is too low...I know this because I have a set and tried it.

High or Extra High 30mm rings?

-brickboy240

You can't really co-witness a low powered variable with irons.
I prefer standard 1.5" mounts for these optics.

brickboy240
10-04-13, 10:43
Yeah, I guess not.

Currently, I have a Primary Arms knock-off of the Aimpoint Micro on my 15-22. It works really well but has not magnification and the red dot sight is not really good for precise shooting.

Thinking of moving the little Micro knock off to my daughter's play around 10-22 and putting the 1x4 or 1x6 version of this Primary Arms scope on the 15-22.

I know these scopes are not for "serious" use (I will keep the Aimpoint Pro on my 6920, thank you) but for playing around with the 22LR S&W 15-22....it looks like a winner.

BTW, Primary Arms are GREAT people to deal with. I have been in their shop many times and have several of their products.

-brickboy240

brickboy240
10-04-13, 15:33
Went to Primary Arms at lunch and bought the 1-4x version of this scope and an Aero Precision mount.

Will mount on the M&P15-22 this weekend and blaze away. This ought to be plenty of optic for a 22 rimfire.

Let you all know how it performs but it sure seems like a heck of a scope for the money spent.

-brickboy240

lunchbox
10-05-13, 00:09
Is this for the 1-4, or the 1-6 (the topic of this thread)?The 1-4, your right I should have stated. I don't want to come off as saying PA is bad, I was just saying the only problems I've ever had from PA was a scope.

7.62WildBill
02-09-14, 10:18
Now that y'all have had these for a while, would you recommend them? How well does the reticle work?

jesuvuah
02-09-14, 18:09
Funny that this thread just came back up. I was shooting mine yesterday and it died on the first mag. Most likely a lemon as many people have head better results. I am sure they will take care of me but it does not leave me with much confidence in the optic. The reticle set up is the best I have seen in a variable honestly. Everything you need and nothing you don't. I kinda was vortex made this reticle in their pst line, that would be great.

MSparks909
02-10-14, 12:50
Now that y'all have had these for a while, would you recommend them? How well does the reticle work?

The reticle works well for me from close in to 500+ yards. It is very similar to the Eotech reticle and is quick to pick up. I ran my 1-6x yesterday in a Vicker's Basic Carbine class. My scope held zero perfectly and the magnification was nice to have in certain instances. I did not feel handicapped by the reticle during any portion of the course, but I did feel handicapped by the weight of my setup by the end of the day. The PA 1-6x + the LaRue LT-139 mount I'm running comes in at roughly 25 oz. (1 lb. 9 oz). The rifle the scope is mounted on is a DDV5 16" gov't profile barrel with a 12" quad rail. At the end of the class I handled several students rifles that were wearing Aimpoint T1's and Vickers personal super lightweight BCM middy, and the handling of their much lighter rifles was night and day different than mine. Needless to say it has me re-thinking my choice in running a variable optic on my 16" rifle. I may build a 18-20" rifle length gas/receiver setup and throw this optic/mount on that and install a T1 and some fixed DD irons on my DD. And maybe that new 13" BCM keymod rail (which is really light).

Neville
02-10-14, 12:52
Any idea which the lightest 1-4 optic is?

MSparks909
02-10-14, 12:56
Some of the Leupold models are pretty light. Can't think of which model off the top of my head.

B Cart
02-10-14, 13:30
The reticle works well for me from close in to 500+ yards. It is very similar to the Eotech reticle and is quick to pick up. I ran my 1-6x yesterday in a Vicker's Basic Carbine class. My scope held zero perfectly and the magnification was nice to have in certain instances. I did not feel handicapped by the reticle during any portion of the course, but I did feel handicapped by the weight of my setup by the end of the day. The PA 1-6x + the LaRue LT-139 mount I'm running comes in at roughly 25 oz. (1 lb. 9 oz). The rifle the scope is mounted on is a DDV5 16" gov't profile barrel with a 12" quad rail. At the end of the class I handled several students rifles that were wearing Aimpoint T1's and Vickers personal super lightweight BCM middy, and the handling of their much lighter rifles was night and day different than mine. Needless to say it has me re-thinking my choice in running a variable optic on my 16" rifle. I may build a 18-20" rifle length gas/receiver setup and throw this optic/mount on that and install a T1 and some fixed DD irons on my DD. And maybe that new 13" BCM keymod rail (which is really light).

This pretty much sums up my experience as well. I have the PA 1-6 on my precision AR, and love it, but I run an Eotech and Aimpoint on my other 12" and 16" guns for weight savings.

As for the PA 1-6 with ACSS reticle, it works really well for close to medium range engagements, and I like the reticle much better than most other variable optics out there. I have shot mine effectively out to 600 yards with M855, M193, and heavier bullets, and the scope has performed as advertised. I have shot this side by side with other variable optics, including the Vortex PST 1-4, Burris MTAC, and SWFA 1-6, and the PA scope performed just as well or better than most. The glass on the Vortex and SWFA were slightly crisper, but barely noticeable, and super expensive high quality glass isn't as big of a game changer in a lower (4-6x) power optics in my opinion. You notice it much more in higher power optics, but for a low power variable optic, the glass in the PA 1-6 is very adequate, especially for $250.

I would say that the biggest downsides of the PA 1-6 are the weight, and the illumination isn't really daylight visible. Also, it is still a $250 optic, so it most likely isn't built as durable as the Vortex, SWFA, or some of the other high end $2,000 + variable optics. Mine has been flawless so far in an ADM Recon mount, for the couple hundred rounds I have on it, but I haven't shot with it enough yet to really test it's durability. But so far, for $250, it seems like a definite winner.

glocktogo
02-10-14, 14:34
Any idea which the lightest 1-4 optic is?

None of the true 1-4 variables with 30mm tubes and illuminated reticles are very light. The closest I've found is the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4X, which weighs a mere 11.5 oz. By comparison, a 1" tubed Nikon M-223 1-4X with no illumination weighs 14 oz.

By comparison, the following 30mm illuminated 1-4's weigh:

Trijicon Accupoint: 14.4 (some complain of a "fisheye" effect with this scope, but it's very clear and bright)
IOR Valdada: 16 (1.1-4)
Vortex Viper PST: 16.2
Burris MTAC: 17
Bushnell AR: 17.3
SWFA: 17.5
Millett DMR: 18.4
Schmidt & Bender Short Dot: 18.7 (1.1-4)
Meopta ZD: 19.4

I don't see any of these that can compare when it comes to weight and balance. If you require true 1X capability and want a light optic, I'd highly recommend looking at the Leupold VX-6 Multigun. It's the same weight as the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, only $57 more at SWFA and it's a 1-6X. Given the funds, it would be my hands down choice for a magnified optic on a 14.5-18" AR.

44Dave
03-19-14, 14:44
Are there any updates to the long term durability of the PA 1-6?

Singlestack Wonder
03-19-14, 20:35
Are there any updates to the long term durability of the PA 1-6?

Hasn't been out long enough for any long term durability data. Since it is yet another low end chi com optic, I wouldn't consider it for any serious use.

Alaskapopo
03-19-14, 22:17
Chinese optics are getting a lot better. The stuff I have seen from Marshall lately is not the typical Chinese stuff you used to see.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
03-20-14, 08:19
Chinese optics are getting a lot better. The stuff I have seen from Marshall lately is not the typical Chinese stuff you used to see.
Pat

So are suzuki automobiles but they are still light years behind global standards for automotive quality.

Alaskapopo
03-20-14, 08:23
Well the most recent Primary Arms products I have tested (CR123A Red dot and the 2.5x fixed power scope) are not light years behind and frankly I would use them on serious rifles. What is your actual experience testing these products pray tell?
Pat

SurplusShooter
03-20-14, 08:25
AlaskaPopo are you also the same name on BEnos forums? I ask because the 3-gun competition environment would tend to give us _some_ indication if these things are breaking or holding-together. Eg being dumped in barrels on stage transitions, etc. What have you seen?

Alaskapopo
03-20-14, 09:00
Yes I am the same person.
The 1-6 Primary arms one of our shooters has is holding up great so far. I plan on getting one of the 2nd gens as soon as they are released. I have ran the 2.5x sight in several matches with no issues and I am about to start running the new CR123 red dot in matches. A few years back I tested several of their micro dots on guns such as the Benelli M4 and even my Marlin 45 70 and I could not break that sight. Marshall at Primary Arms is selling good stuff especially when you consider the cost. Now is the 1-6 Primary arms as good as my Vortex Razor 2 or Swarovski no its not. But it does not cost nearly as much either. This scope officers a great entry level option for those with lower budgets.
Pat

Singlestack Wonder
03-20-14, 18:50
Deleted....not worth the time........

BOSAR15
03-23-14, 15:12
hoping the 1-6x get back in stock soon

B Cart
03-23-14, 16:25
It's still to early to tell, but I've been shooting mine a lot and it has been awesome so far. I haven't thrown it out of a moving truck or run it over, but I haven't really babied it either.

And I agree with Pat that Primary Arms optics have seemed much better quality that the typical chi-com stuff. I have a couple Primary Arms micro dot sights that we've beat up as well and they've been great.

Having shot the PA 1-6 frequently next to other more expensive variable optics, it seems like a LOT of win for $250. Only time will tell how they hold up in the long term.

44Dave
03-23-14, 16:40
I'm actually pretty interested in knowing how it survives being thrown from a moving truck. Thats actually the exact question I was going someone would answer fire me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BOSAR15
03-24-14, 13:43
I would like if they upgraded the reticle in the 1-4 to be a "smaller ranged" version of the 1-6x advanced reticle

dwhitehorne
03-24-14, 19:18
I've got one on my M&P 10. I only have a few hundred rounds through it so far but it is holding up well. This is my second scope the first one had a piece of thrash on the lens and was replaced in a week. For an entry level scope it is pretty nice. My main issue with the PA 1x4 scope is it is almost 12 inches long, just like the Millet DMS/Optisan Mamba style scopes. With 2x more power and under 10 inches I'll take the few more ounces the 1x6 has have the 1x4. David

MSparks909
03-25-14, 08:05
I can't speak to long-term durability, but I have put roughly 1,500 rounds through my AR with the PA 1-6x on top (not a huge amount I know). I'll be taking a SOTM and a Carbine 2 class in the coming months, so I'll be running it hard again. Optic has held up fine in my local 3-gun matches as well as the training, plinking and long range shooting I've done with it. Stretched the optics legs to 600 yards on a 14"x14" gong with XM855 recently. Made a nice "thwack" on target nearly every shot.

riggins57
03-25-14, 19:59
Yes I am the same person.
The 1-6 Primary arms one of our shooters has is holding up great so far. I plan on getting one of the 2nd gens as soon as they are released. I have ran the 2.5x sight in several matches with no issues and I am about to start running the new CR123 red dot in matches. A few years back I tested several of their micro dots on guns such as the Benelli M4 and even my Marlin 45 70 and I could not break that sight. Marshall at Primary Arms is selling good stuff especially when you consider the cost. Now is the 1-6 Primary arms as good as my Vortex Razor 2 or Swarovski no its not. But it does not cost nearly as much either. This scope officers a great entry level option for those with lower budgets.
Pat

I would be interested in know what will be different about the GEN 2 scopes if you don't mind.

TIA

Shoulderthinggoesup
03-25-14, 22:42
I really, really like the reticule and extra zoom over my MTAC, but I am selling mine as the FOV is so much smaller. I feel claustrophobic looking through it. That said, it is an amazing scope for the price.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

B Cart
03-25-14, 23:46
I'm actually pretty interested in knowing how it survives being thrown from a moving truck. Thats actually the exact question I was going someone would answer fire me.

I can't tell if you're being a smartass with that comment or not, but it seems like that is the type of stupid reliability everyone "demands" from optics and gear these days. Since people can "drop Aimpoints out of helicopters and run them over and they still work" it seems every optic has to pass some stupid level of reliability standards or they are "hobby gun crap".

Maybe someone will drop theirs out of a moving truck for you and find out :-) I'm gonna use mine a little more before I try that

44Dave
03-26-14, 06:33
Ha, nope, that was the actual question on my mind. It probably won't get answered any time soon though. It would be interesting to hear about any drop tests. I have been known to drop a rifle or two on cement. The PA red dot on that rifle hasn't lost it's zero yet, so I hope this would give the same service.

SurplusShooter
03-26-14, 09:40
I noticed the PA 1-6x with ACSS 7.62X39/300AAC Reticle is in-stock, anybody know how different it is from the "regular" 1-6x scope could I buy it and use it on an AR or is the reticule going to be so different it will be a mess?

Edit: sounds like I just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

BOSAR15
03-26-14, 20:42
Had me thinking the "normal" ones were back.....

B Cart
04-11-14, 14:55
I shot my PA 1-6 ACSS yesterday out to 800 yards with awesome results. I was shooting with a bipod and rear bag, from a bench, at man sized steel silhouette targets using 62 gr M855 factory rounds, with a 5-7 mph left to right wind. I used the built in bullet drop mark for each target, and used the built in 5mph wind hold dot exactly on the target. I made first round, and repeatable hits at 500, 600, and 700 yards, and it took me 2 shots to make a hit at 800, with repeatable hits following at 800. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate the bullet drop hash lines are on the ACSS reticle at long range! I was shooting with a couple buddies running Leupold Mk8 1-8 scopes, and needless to say, everyone was impressed with the PA 1-6 for the money. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I am with it.

marsh1
04-17-14, 15:46
I noticed the PA 1-6x with ACSS 7.62X39/300AAC Reticle is in-stock, anybody know how different it is from the "regular" 1-6x scope could I buy it and use it on an AR or is the reticule going to be so different it will be a mess?

Edit: sounds like I just answered my own question. :rolleyes:

The scope is very different as well. It was designed primarily for a AK so the eye relief is shorter. The scope is also shorter to not hit front AK sights. Because of those changes we were not able to get it true 1X. The updated 5.56 1-6X is true 1X

SurplusShooter
04-17-14, 16:57
The updated 5.56 1-6X is true 1X
Thanks for the update, I'm on the notification list waiting for the new ones.

Obscenejesster
04-17-14, 17:25
I just saw this scope and it has me second guessing my recent purchase. I know I got a good deal waiting for the SWFA 1x6 to go on sale for $800 but that's still over $500 more than this one. I know Primary Arms doesn't make high end gear but from what I hear it's pretty decent for the price.

I already bought the SWFA but I haven't received it yet. Maybe once I handle it and look though it, my buyers remorse will subside. Bottom line though...Is the SWFA 1x6 worth the extra $500?

riggins57
04-17-14, 17:41
The scope is very different as well. It was designed primarily for a AK so the eye relief is shorter. The scope is also shorter to not hit front AK sights. Because of those changes we were not able to get it true 1X. The updated 5.56 1-6X is true 1X

Is the true 1X referred to above the only difference with the GEN-2 5.56 scopes?

TIA

slybarman
04-17-14, 17:43
The new video of the gen2 1-6x looks great

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

B Cart
04-17-14, 20:04
Is the true 1X referred to above the only difference with the GEN-2 5.56 scopes?

TIA

From what I've heard, the Gen 2 has better glass, and the illuminated reticle is actually daylight visible. Should be a fantastic scope!

44Dave
04-17-14, 21:38
I was all over the PA site today and didn't see anything about a gen 2. Where are you seeing this at?

riggins57
04-18-14, 06:30
I was all over the PA site today and didn't see anything about a gen 2. Where are you seeing this at?

This thread is the only place I have seen the reference to GEN-2 scopes. Hopefully Marsh will be back to address this question.

slybarman
04-18-14, 07:04

Facebook, YouTube, ar-15.com . . .

marsh1
04-18-14, 07:48
This thread is the only place I have seen the reference to GEN-2 scopes. Hopefully Marsh will be back to address this question.

The one on our web site is the Gen II version. None in the field yet but testing video posted.

slybarman
04-18-14, 09:05
Last video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGhz6FJDTj0

44Dave
04-18-14, 10:04
The one on our web site is the Gen II version. None in the field yet but testing video posted.

So, the next time they come up as available I would be getting the 2nd gen? I'm thinking I need to give this a try.

SurplusShooter
04-18-14, 10:22
Thanks for the video link.

riggins57
04-18-14, 11:01
Does anybody know if it has off settings between the individual power settings?

Sorry if I oerlooked this. I did watch the video twice, and did not see this mentioned. The scope does look good in the video. Is there a video link that shows this reticle out in the direct sunlight?

TIA

B Cart
04-18-14, 18:24
Does anybody know if it has off settings between the individual power settings?

Sorry if I oerlooked this. I did watch the video twice, and did not see this mentioned. The scope does look good in the video. Is there a video link that shows this reticle out in the direct sunlight?

TIA

I have the Gen 1, and it DOES have off settings in between the different illumination settings, which is nice. I have no reason to believe the Gen 2 would be different in that regard.

marsh1
04-21-14, 07:46
The Gen 2 does not have a off position between each setting

Obscenejesster
04-21-14, 08:21
The Gen 2 does not have a off position between each setting

Seriously? That doesn't seem ideal.

marsh1
04-21-14, 08:23
Seriously? That doesn't seem ideal.

We went to a different factory and the scope in noticeable better in every other way. That was not a option without a longer delay in production.

SurplusShooter
04-21-14, 09:15
on my other PA red dot I start at Zero/off and turn the knob the other way direct to 11 or 10, instead of going up from 1,2,3 direction.

B Cart
04-21-14, 15:54
on my other PA red dot I start at Zero/off and turn the knob the other way direct to 11 or 10, instead of going up from 1,2,3 direction.

Some RDS/Scopes don't allow it to be turned backwards.

@Marsh1, does the illumination dial on the Gen2 1-6 allow it to turn backwards from 0 to the highest setting, or do you have to start from one and go through to the highest? Thanks

marsh1
04-22-14, 08:15
Some RDS/Scopes don't allow it to be turned backwards.

@Marsh1, does the illumination dial on the Gen2 1-6 allow it to turn backwards from 0 to the highest setting, or do you have to start from one and go through to the highest? Thanks

Yes you can go backward from zero

TAZ
05-14-14, 20:06
Any more updates on how these are holding up? I'm wrapping up a project and thinking about using this as the optic.

dwhitehorne
05-15-14, 03:55
I've had a few hundred rounds through mine on a M&P 10 and just switched it over to a 556 and painted the rifle and scope. I put about 8 mag through the rifle Monday after zeroing and the scope seems to be working fine. I was shooting from vehicles and around a step barricade banging it around. For the features you get for the price, I am pleased with it. David

MSparks909
05-15-14, 11:43
Any more updates on how these are holding up? I'm wrapping up a project and thinking about using this as the optic.

Taking a 2 day advanced carbine course with mine this weekend. I'll post how it held up on Monday. I have about 1,750 rounds on this scope so far with no issues.

B Cart
05-15-14, 13:39

Mine has still been perfect. I ran it in a close-mid range comp a week or so ago in the pouring rain all day and it held up great in the rain. I didn't have any fogging on the glass or any negative effects from the moisture. The targets were set up from 10 yards out to 500 yards, and my PA 1-6 has still held zero with the BDC hash lines allowing me to make first round hits on all of the targets. I'm not sure what my exact round count is on it, as I have not been keeping track, but I've probably put 30-40 mags through it since I mounted it, with no issues to date.

I am excited for the new Gen 2 though! The ETA on the website changed to late may unfortunately. Marsh1, any updates on the ETA for the Gen2?

dwhitehorne
05-15-14, 18:48
I was conducting rifle quals today and got some time afterwards to shoot at the 600 yard line. The wind was a little tricky before the storm that is here but the stadia lines worked great. I have the center dot zeroed at 50 so I had to use the #8 line. I was surprised how often I was hitting the 12 x 18 MGM plate with a 556. I did manage to break off the 3 gun stuff cat tail today. I got it when I bought the scope. I guess I bumped it one to many time the other day shooting out of the vehicle. Oh well it was plastic anyway. David

MSparks909
05-16-14, 12:46
The first issue with my scope surfaced today while confirming my zero for this weekend's class . My illumination dial has come loose and is flopping around. With that said, it still works and functions through all illumination cycles. I'm gonna run it through the class and see if the dial loosens more or if any other issues pop up. After this weekend I'll give Primary Arms a call regarding repair/replacement.

jmnielsen
05-16-14, 13:58
Anyone used this scope on a 6.8 SPC? I may have to try one out on my 6.8 SBR

marsh1
05-16-14, 18:55
The first issue with my scope surfaced today while confirming my zero for this weekend's class . My illumination dial has come loose and is flopping around. With that said, it still works and functions through all illumination cycles. I'm gonna run it through the class and see if the dial loosens more or if any other issues pop up. After this weekend I'll give Primary Arms a call regarding repair/replacement.

Shoot me a email and I will take care of it. Do this ASAP so I have you info and can snag one of the new ones that are due next week for the exchange. They won't last a day with all the people waiting.

skywalkrNCSU
05-16-14, 19:39
Shoot me a email and I will take care of it. Do this ASAP so I have you info and can snag one of the new ones that are due next week for the exchange. They won't last a day with all the people waiting.

This is why I love primary arms, never had anything but a great experience with them

MSparks909
05-16-14, 20:12

Mr. Lerner,

Thanks for the offer. PM is inbound. I appreciate the top notch service and customer support. Looking forward to putting the Gen2 through its paces :cool:

44Dave
05-21-14, 10:27
Looks like these are available again, so I drank the kool aid and ordered one.

B Cart
05-21-14, 10:39
I liked my first gen so much, I ordered a 2nd Gen as well :-)

According to Dimitri at Primary Arms, the Gen 2 has much better glass (true 1x), better internals, and a daylight visible reticle. I'm excited to see it and see how it works!

44Dave
05-21-14, 11:00
It will be interesting to see if they do, in fact, sell out as quickly as they anticipate.

B Cart
05-21-14, 11:17
sold out already

geaux2sleep
05-21-14, 12:33
Got in on 1 with an AD Recon-H (High) mount. Hell of a discount on the mount, too ($40). Will be picking up on Friday.

TAZ
05-21-14, 12:51
Missed it by thaaaaat much!?

Guess I'll have to wait for the next batch.

jmnielsen
05-21-14, 12:59
Dang... Those went fast

jukeboxx13
05-22-14, 11:48

With your scope setup my 14.5" ELW KMR carbine with a SF EAG Fury light would be 8.5 lbs unloaded. Pretty light imo for Scoped carbine. Switch your mount to an Aero and it will be close to 8 lbs.

tonyxcom
05-23-14, 16:09
Got mine mounted. Glass is bright! Reticle is crisp. Not daylight visible but as good as or better than an MTAC. There is a spare battery in the windage cap. Eye relief is really good - I shoot NTCH so thats why its so far forward.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/pa_1-6x-g2_01.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/pa_1-6x-g2_03.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/pa_1-6x-g2_02.jpg

B Cart
05-23-14, 16:20
^^ Looks good! I got mine today, but haven't mounted it yet. But from initial impressions, the glass is definitely nicer than the Gen 1, and the reticle is also MUCH brighter. It was a little cloudy today, so it may not be a true comparison, but it was daylight visible for me mid day today. I'll test it again when it's completely sunny. The overall build quality also seems to be higher quality than the Gen 1, and the caps it comes with are really nice.

Based on initial impressions, it looks like it will be a killer scope for the money! I'll have it mounted later today, and I plan on putting 500+ rounds through it this weekend from close engagements out to 800 yards. I'll do a full review after I shoot with it.

slybarman
05-23-14, 17:07
Get mine tomorrow. Looks like a winner.

Caeser25
05-23-14, 17:13
How's the eye relief?

tonyxcom
05-23-14, 17:20
I think the eye relief is great. I shoot pretty close to NTCH and you can see how far forward I needed to mount the scope. I'd say it is every bit of 2" at 6x.

geaux2sleep
05-23-14, 18:37
Picked up today and mounted on my 15-22.

jmnielsen
05-23-14, 19:14
Can't wait til the next run! I need to pick one of these up.

7.62WildBill
05-23-14, 19:48
I picked up a 7.62 version a few weeks back for my OPAP, mounted using a RS AK-310/AKR. It has a little fish eye at low power. I have only shot it during one brief range trip so far, but the results at 200 meters were encouraging.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/ccb345d9-b71b-4b04-b36a-7aa0cf5072eb_zpsa3c30af5.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/ccb345d9-b71b-4b04-b36a-7aa0cf5072eb_zpsa3c30af5.jpg.html)

marsh1
05-24-14, 09:40
I picked up a 7.62 version a few weeks back for my OPAP, mounted using a RS AK-310/AKR. It has a little fish eye at low power. I have only shot it during one brief range trip so far, but the results at 200 meters were encouraging.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/ccb345d9-b71b-4b04-b36a-7aa0cf5072eb_zpsa3c30af5.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/ccb345d9-b71b-4b04-b36a-7aa0cf5072eb_zpsa3c30af5.jpg.html)

The Ak version is a totally different scope than the 5.56. It was a real challenge to keep it short enough not to hit the rear AK sight (you can run it in lower rings for a better cheek weld) and it has much shorter eye relief, again to be AK specific. Because of the restraints it won't have the clarity and is not true 1X, like the 5.56.

slybarman
05-24-14, 11:24
FedEx man just brought me a present.

slybarman
05-24-14, 12:19
Looks good to me. The eye box at 6x will take some getting used to as I am used to a hws, but it will make me be more consistent about my cheek weld. No issue with daylight visibility at all. Primary arms extended mount seems like it will work well. I have 45 degree offset buis to use with it.

B Cart
05-29-14, 17:19
I got my new 2nd Gen 1-6 mounted in an ADM Recon mount and sighted in, and shot a bunch of rounds through it. I sighted it in at 100 yards with IMI 62 gr M855, and then proceeded to hit steel at 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900 yards. The BDC hashes were dead on, and I made first round hits on all of those, except 800. It took me 2 shots at 800, and then I did a slight holdover at 900 and made a first round hit surprisingly. The glass is definitely better than the Gen 1 that I have, and the illumination is much better too. It's not super bright in mid day, but definitely daytime usable, unlike the Gen 1. I put a couple hundred rounds through it, and then took it back to 100 yards and it still held perfect zero.

The scope itself is a little bigger and longer than the Gen 1, but seems to be better built with nicer glass and a better finish. My buddy, who doesn't shoot very much, got the 2nd Gen 1-6 as well, and was able to make hits out to 800 yards using the BDC hashes. He was stoked to say the least. My other buddy was shooting with a SWFA 1-6, and trying to dial for all of the long shots, and we outshot him by far using the Primary Arms 1-6 scopes. All in all, it seems like a fantastic scope so far, and worth every cent of the $270 price tag. I'll try and get some video or shooting steel out to 800+ yards next time I take it out.

cbx
06-01-14, 18:41
Can't believe they sold out that fast. I didn't even get the email notice. Oh well, wait some more.

Really want to get one too see if i even like 1-6 without spending 1-2k first.

tonyxcom
06-02-14, 10:54
They only had 400 in this first batch and they sold out in about an hour. My email notification was in my spam folder but I keep pretty good track of it so I noticed something was there. Anytime I need to sign up for a stock notification on any website I am going to use multiple emails from now on.

jmnielsen
06-02-14, 17:30
They only had 400 in this first batch and they sold out in about an hour. My email notification was in my spam folder but I keep pretty good track of it so I noticed something was there. Anytime I need to sign up for a stock notification on any website I am going to use multiple emails from now on.

I would hope that there are more than 400 in the next shipment. Those sold out crazy fast and I would like to order two, but it says limit one per household...

cbx
06-03-14, 09:51
How about some reviews from people who did get them this time around?

tonyxcom
06-03-14, 11:12
I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet but the glass is bright and clear. It does appear to have a slight warmish tint but I don't think its something that will cause any practical issues. I didn't even notice it until someone asked me to check for it. My Vortex 2.5-10x32 has a very slight tint as well for comparison.

B Cart
06-03-14, 12:32
How about some reviews from people who did get them this time around?

I don't know if you read the last page (page 5) of this thread, but multiple people who got theirs made comments on them. I also commented on the last page about shooting mine out to 900 yards, but I haven't had time to do a more detailed review. I had the Gen 1 before, and the Gen 2 definitely seems to be higher quality in every area. The only downside is the Gen 2 doesn't have off settings between the illumination settings like the Gen 1 did, but the illumination on the Gen 2 is WAY better and you can dial back straight to the 11 setting from zero, so it's not bad. Seems like a fantastic optic so far.

What would you like to know specifically?

slybarman
06-03-14, 12:51
I got my new 2nd Gen 1-6 mounted in an ADM Recon mount and sighted in, and shot a bunch of rounds through it. I sighted it in at 100 yards with IMI 62 gr M855, and then proceeded to hit steel at 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900 yards. The BDC hashes were dead on, and I made first round hits on all of those, except 800. It took me 2 shots at 800, and then I did a slight holdover at 900 and made a first round hit surprisingly. The glass is definitely better than the Gen 1 that I have, and the illumination is much better too. It's not super bright in mid day, but definitely daytime usable, unlike the Gen 1. I put a couple hundred rounds through it, and then took it back to 100 yards and it still held perfect zero.

The scope itself is a little bigger and longer than the Gen 1, but seems to be better built with nicer glass and a better finish. My buddy, who doesn't shoot very much, got the 2nd Gen 1-6 as well, and was able to make hits out to 800 yards using the BDC hashes. He was stoked to say the least. My other buddy was shooting with a SWFA 1-6, and trying to dial for all of the long shots, and we outshot him by far using the Primary Arms 1-6 scopes. All in all, it seems like a fantastic scope so far, and worth every cent of the $270 price tag. I'll try and get some video or shooting steel out to 800+ yards next time I take it out.

Thumbsup. Good to hear real world experience out to some long (to me) distances.

cbx
06-03-14, 14:52
I don't know if you read the last page (page 5) of this thread, but multiple people who got theirs made comments on them. I also commented on the last page about shooting mine out to 900 yards, but I haven't had time to do a more detailed review. I had the Gen 1 before, and the Gen 2 definitely seems to be higher quality in every area. The only downside is the Gen 2 doesn't have off settings between the illumination settings like the Gen 1 did, but the illumination on the Gen 2 is WAY better and you can dial back straight to the 11 setting from zero, so it's not bad. Seems like a fantastic optic so far.

What would you like to know specifically?

I guess I would like to know if any changes were made to this last version from the previous version. And, most of all, would you buy it again?

cbx
06-03-14, 15:22
I think Would like to get a low power variable. I feel like 4x isn't enough zoom on the ones I've tried.

When I run my leupold vxr 3-9 I feel like the top end is awesome at distances I shoot at. At 50 yards the 3x I is ok. At less distance it works and gets the Job done, but a true 1x on the bottom I think for me would just be fantastic. The price tag of any of the 1-8's and 1-10's are not doable for me. Sold my Aimpoint only because of the distance factor. Outside of 100 yrds I hated the aimpoint. Great system for in close.

The 1k for the swfa or vx6 is something I think i can do. But if the PA scope is decent enough, thats enough savings for some ammo or a good carbine class somewhere.

Just would hate too drop 1k to find out it sucks and take a loss of several hundred on a sale.

Hopefully Marshall ordered more units this time. Like 5000..... (btw hats off to Marshall for offering a desirable product at a great price.)

marsh1
06-03-14, 15:26
I think Would like to get a low power variable. I feel like 4x isn't enough zoom on the ones I've tried.

When I run my leupold vxr 3-9 I feel like the top end is awesome at distances I shoot at. At 50 yards the 3x I is ok. At less distance it works and gets the Job done, but a true 1x on the bottom I think for me would just be fantastic. The price tag of any of the 1-8's and 1-10's are not doable for me. Sold my Aimpoint only because of the distance factor. Outside of 100 yrds I hated the aimpoint. Great system for in close.

The 1k for the swfa or vx6 is something I think i can do. But if the PA scope is decent enough, thats enough savings for some ammo or a good carbine class somewhere.

Just would hate too drop 1k to find out it sucks and take a loss of several hundred on a sale.

Hopefully Marshall ordered more units this time. Like 5000..... (btw hats off to Marshall for offering a desirable product at a great price.)

Plenty on order. We are just fighting for production time.

B Cart
06-03-14, 15:55
I guess I would like to know if any changes were made to this last version from the previous version. And, most of all, would you buy it again?

Yes, they did make a couple important changes. The Gen 2 is made in a different factory and the finish and overall build quality definitely looks better than the Gen 1. Also, the glass is much better in the Gen 2, and is closer to true 1x. The other big difference is the illumination on the Gen 2. The illumination on the Gen 1 was not daylight visible at all, but the Gen 2 is much brighter and definitely more daylight visible. Also, the entire reticle is illuminated (unlike only the main circle area on the gen 1) which makes shooting targets at longer distances easier in low light.

The Gen 1 was a great scope, and the Gen 2 is even better. I would absolutely buy it again. I have shot a lot with the Burris MTAC, Vortex PST 1-4, SWFA 1-6, and even shot with the Leupold Mk8. They are all great optics, but I still like the Primary Arms ACSS reticle best for what I want out of a 1-x optic. The reticle is very well thought out, and the BDC hashes have been surprisingly accurate with M855 and M193. The ability to make very fast accurate hits on man sized targets out to 800+ yards without dailing or doing holdovers is what really sold me. With other variable 1-x optics, I end up having to dial or do holdovers, and it takes a lot more time and thinking on an optic that, in my opinion, isn't best suited for that type of shooting.

In my opinion, the whole point of a 1-6x optic is that it gives you the close up 1x capability of a red dot, with the added bonus of some magnification to be able to make quick, fairly accurate hits out to medium/long ranges. If you want to spend time with a ballistic calculator dialing and trying to make super precise hits at distance, why not get a 2.5-10 or higher magnified optic that will much better serve that purpose. But if you want an optic that gives you a red dot like view up close, with the ability to then make fast repeatable hits on targets out to 800 yards without dialing, the PA 1-6 with the ACSS reticle is hard to beat.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helps.

cbx
06-03-14, 22:43
Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I wanting to know.

Arkansas Bob
06-03-14, 22:45
How is it it low light? Good and bright?

cbx
06-03-14, 23:08
Plenty on order. We are just fighting for production time.

"Sweet" in my best cartman voice.

Any chance I could just pre pay now instead of waiting, just in case I miss out again?

marsh1
06-04-14, 07:22
"Sweet" in my best cartman voice.

Any chance I could just pre pay now instead of waiting, just in case I miss out again?

Our technology person is working on it but unfortunatley we don't have a system for that right now.

tb-av
06-04-14, 12:58
Can someone recommend a good mount for this scope? Perhaps a fixed and a QR. I get confused on these mounts and rings and such.

Thanks,

TB

geaux2sleep
06-04-14, 13:24
Personally, I like the ADM mounts. Either the Recon or the Recon-X (both QD), depending on where you like your cheek. This scope has long eye relief. Primary Arms has a decent discount on the ADM's when you pair the mount with the scope.

B Cart
06-04-14, 14:16
I have mine in an ADM Recon mount, but Bobro and Larue are also really nice. I have some buddies who use the Burris PEPR mount and like it, and the Primary Arms Deluxe mount also seems to be good if you want a cheaper option. If you order a mount with the scope, you can get a discount. I think the Recon mount is discounted down to $129 or $139 if you buy them together.

tb-av
06-05-14, 10:34
Ok, thanks.... sounds good.

atp
06-07-14, 15:03
The Ak version is a totally different scope than the 5.56. It was a real challenge to keep it short enough not to hit the rear AK sight (you can run it in lower rings for a better cheek weld) and it has much shorter eye relief, again to be AK specific. Because of the restraints it won't have the clarity and is not true 1X, like the 5.56.
That is very important and useful information! But my God man, you've now made at least three scopes which are really entirely different designs, not merely slightly different reticles, and called them all the "Primary Arms 1-6x scope". That's just confusing! Please, please, give each one a different model number or something.

Singlestack Wonder
06-07-14, 17:06
That's the issue with cheap, one production run, optics. Each run is different. Yes, there may be improvements, but if you get one today, a problem feature may be fixed in the next run but you'll have to buy the new scope to have it.

marsh1
06-07-14, 17:16
That's the issue with cheap, one production run, optics. Each run is different. Yes, there may be improvements, but if you get one today, a problem feature may be fixed in the next run but you'll have to buy the new scope to have it.

We just went to the next generation like many companies do. The new 5.56X 1-6 will be in production at least until SHOT of next year. We have multiple orders in for the rest of the year. Our products are not one production run. Our Micros have been around in similar form for 5 years.

marsh1
06-07-14, 17:19
That is very important and useful information! But my God man, you've now made at least three scopes which are really entirely different designs, not merely slightly different reticles, and called them all the "Primary Arms 1-6x scope". That's just confusing! Please, please, give each one a different model number or something.

We have two 1-6X scopes. One is a 7.62AK scope and the other is a 5.56 scope. As I explained the AK one is very different becasue of the platform.

jmnielsen
07-10-14, 21:09
Looks like they got some in, better jump on it while you can!

TAZ
07-11-14, 09:31
Already out of stock :(. Next lot I guess.

cbx
07-11-14, 09:56
They were saying they ordered enough this time...

HCrum87hc
07-11-14, 11:31
Got my order in last night when the emails went out. Already received a shipped notice. Looking forward to getting it mounted and to the range.

TAZ
07-11-14, 11:56
They were saying they ordered enough this time...

Email said they only got a partial shipment in. I didn't check email till this AM so I missed the boat.

B Cart
07-11-14, 12:21
Crazy they sold out so fast again, but I can say they are well worth the wait. Mine has been flawless and very accurate. Same with the ones my buddies are running.

riggins57
07-12-14, 08:14
If it weren't for bad luck.....

Had a 64 hour work week this week and by the time I was able to check them out, they were gone. Oh well maybe next time.

MSparks909
07-13-14, 11:38
My Gen 2 version is on the way. I have a Gen 1 on my rifle now and it has been through 2 separate carbine classes, local 3-gun competitions and is on my main training/HD/plinking rifle. The illumination dial on my Gen 1 came loose and can wobble around; however, the illumination dial still works perfectly. Primary Arms is exchanging my current for a new Gen 2 (MUCH thanks to Marshall!) and I'll give a detailed review once I put some rounds through this new one and how the fit/finish compares to my Gen 1. Based on what others have said, the Gen 2 should be a nice improvement. Mine should be here tomorrow.

slybarman
08-03-14, 10:24
Finally got my Gen 2 mounted up after sitting for a few months. I like what I see so far - seems like a great value. I hope to get it zeroed in the next week or so.

TAZ
08-03-14, 17:19
Finally got my Gen 2 mounted up after sitting for a few months. I like what I see so far - seems like a great value. I hope to get it zeroed in the next week or so.

What offset BUIS are those??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slybarman
08-03-14, 18:04
What offset BUIS are those??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They are these cheapies, but they seem pretty solid to me. I will know better after I have a chance to zero them and maybe run this gun through a class later this month.

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Offset-Transition-Backup/dp/B00D9BELCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407106911

riggins57
10-09-14, 19:27
Primary has these back in stock if anybody is looking for one still. Got mine this time.

MBtech
10-09-14, 19:40
Nice, has anyone tried one of these on a SCAR 17?
Been thinking of trying one out, I have heard SCARs are hard on optics.

NetJunkie
10-18-14, 18:16
Finally got my PA 1-6x out to the range today. Have it on a 12.5" LMT Piston w/ M4-2000. Works great. The glass isn't high end..but no issue hitting the gongs at 300 today. The downside is that the illumination isn't daytime visible on a bright day. I got this to play with the concept of a 1-6x optic and I liked it a lot. Probably sell this off or move it to another gun and get a VCOG or something along those lines.

cbx
10-18-14, 19:57
Every time I try to get one I never make it in time. Just to see if I like the 1-6.

cbx
10-18-14, 19:58
Finally got my PA 1-6x out to the range today. Have it on a 12.5" LMT Piston w/ M4-2000. Works great. The glass isn't high end..but no issue hitting the gongs at 300 today. The downside is that the illumination isn't daytime visible on a bright day. I got this to play with the concept of a 1-6x optic and I liked it a lot. Probably sell this off or move it to another gun and get a VCOG or something along those lines.

What would you compare the glass to?

NetJunkie
10-18-14, 19:58
Every time I try to get one I never make it in time. Just to see if I like the 1-6.

If I sell mine I'll PM you and give you first right of refusal. That's why I bought one too.

riggins57
10-18-14, 20:46

AIM has them and shipping is free. If I would have known, I would have ordered from AIM instead of Primary. It would have saved me shipping fee and sales tax.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPAPS16X&name=Primary+Arms+1-6X+Scope+w%2f+ACSS+Reticle&groupid=1058

marsh1
10-18-14, 22:36

Be patient. We are working on a best in class 1-8X made in Japan scope, with our Patented ACSS reticle. Will be second half of 2015 and under $2,000

jesuvuah
10-18-14, 22:38
Be patient. We are working on a best in class 1-8X made in Japan with our Patented reticle. Will be second half of 2015 and under $2,000

Very intrigued

jmnielsen
10-18-14, 22:44
Be patient. We are working on a best in class 1-8X made in Japan scope, with our Patented ACSS reticle. Will be second half of 2015 and under $2,000

This is very interesting.

Koshinn
10-18-14, 22:57

What class will it be best in?

marsh1
10-18-14, 23:06
What class will it be best in?

Higher end 1-6 & 1-8 in the $1,500 - $2,400 price range. Not up there with the Schmidt 1-8X at $3,500.

Koshinn
10-19-14, 06:59
Higher end 1-6 & 1-8 in the $1,500 - $2,400 price range. Not up there with the Schmidt 1-8X at $3,500.

So Leupold Mk8, USO SR8c, Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5, March 1-8, etc?

evilblackrifle
10-19-14, 07:47
Anybody got a pic showing how much of the lens this reticle covers?

marsh1
10-19-14, 11:32
So Leupold Mk8, USO SR8c, Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5, March 1-8, etc?

The Leupold is in the Schmidt price range so depends on how you want to define the "Class". All great scopes and the market we are targeting. We have a lot of work to do so I probably should not have mentioned it. The reason I did was if someone is a big fan of the ACSS reticle I wanted to let them know our goal is to get it in a higher end offerings. For those that see value in the reticle having it is a quality 1-8X FFP scope makes it an attractive offering.

I don't have anymore details that I can talk about at this time and apologize for taking the thread off track from the 1-6X.

ChoppinFatTony
10-22-14, 17:46
Any idea when the next batch will be in Marshall? I would much rather buy through you for the deal on butler caps and a AD mount.

cbx
10-22-14, 18:02

That's awesome. But, it us a year away..... I know. Be patient.

Make a true 1-8, day bright, true 1x, and an 8x that works well, and doesn't weigh more the rifle, that has potential to be winner winner.

cbx
10-22-14, 18:02
If I sell mine I'll PM you and give you first right of refusal. That's why I bought one too.

That is really nice of you. Thank you.

marsh1
10-22-14, 19:05
Any idea when the next batch will be in Marshall? I would much rather buy through you for the deal on butler caps and a AD mount.

Late November. If you want to go ahead and grab one from a dealer I will do the BC deal at what you would have paid us including shipping.

mastiffhound
10-22-14, 19:07
I ordered my PA 1-6x 9/17/13 and it saw 2500 rounds between my 20" PSA and my 16" BCM carbine. I picked up two Leupolds for them and the PA then went on the Mini-14 for around 300 rounds. The Mini was being shot by my niece and she started missing the target but it was the last few rounds of the day so I thought nothing of it. At the time I was testing out two lubes so my usual property companion AR wasn't available. The next day I took a shot with the Mini at a groundhog about 60 yards and missed by feet not inches. Shouldering it felt weird. Then I noticed I was twisting the Mini to get the reticle straight. The reticle had canted.

PA gave me store credit around 8/27/14 when it was sent back. I don't blame PA, Minis eat scopes for lunch apparently. They beat variable scopes to death. I've been told to go with fixed power scopes for the Mini. PA was great to deal with and I got another optic from them. The 4-14 FFP mil-dot went on my Savage .243 deer rifle and it's been great. It's surprisingly clear and a box test showed that adjustments were equal and repeatable. Right now it's the only optic I have that isn't made by Leupold on any of my rifles (Savage in .308 and .22LR, ARs, and 10/22). We'll see how it goes I guess.

jmnielsen
10-22-14, 19:37
I ordered my PA 1-6x 9/17/13 and it saw 2500 rounds between my 20" PSA and my 16" BCM carbine. I picked up two Leupolds for them and the PA then went on the Mini-14 for around 300 rounds. The Mini was being shot by my niece and she started missing the target but it was the last few rounds of the day so I thought nothing of it. At the time I was testing out two lubes so my usual property companion AR wasn't available. The next day I took a shot with the Mini at a groundhog about 60 yards and missed by feet not inches. Shouldering it felt weird. Then I noticed I was twisting the Mini to get the reticle straight. The reticle had canted.

PA gave me store credit around 8/27/14 when it was sent back. I don't blame PA, Minis eat scopes for lunch apparently. They beat variable scopes to death. I've been told to go with fixed power scopes for the Mini. PA was great to deal with and I got another optic from them. The 4-14 FFP mil-dot went on my Savage .243 deer rifle and it's been great. It's surprisingly clear and a box test showed that adjustments were equal and repeatable. Right now it's the only optic I have that isn't made by Leupold on any of my rifles (Savage in .308 and .22LR, ARs, and 10/22). We'll see how it goes I guess.

Was that the gen1 1-6x that you broke? Or the gen 2?

mastiffhound
10-22-14, 19:51
Was that the gen1 1-6x that you broke? Or the gen 2?

It was the Gen1, it only illuminated the dot and circle not the whole reticle.

mastiffhound
10-22-14, 19:52
double post.

BillSWPA
10-23-14, 08:59

Your comment about Mini 14's eating scopes has me curious. Have you been able to learn why this is the case with a low recoiling .223/5.56?

mastiffhound
10-23-14, 17:49
I read it a couple places. Then I watched some slow mo videos. It isn't the recoil back into your shoulder, it's the bolt closing. It has a huge piece of metal that slams forward. I guess most scopes aren't designed for that type of recoil. Airgun scopes are made for that type of recoil and are said to work better for the Mini also.

Here is a video of a Mini in slow mo, right at 17 seconds you see the bolt slam home so hard that the mini actually slides forward in the guys hands. Also watch the knuckle of his thumb on his shooting hand as it ends up further into the video frame than when he fired the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPy4ud7NaOc

BillSWPA
10-23-14, 20:17
Interesting. Thanks!

mastiffhound
10-23-14, 21:38
Interesting. Thanks!

I also forgot to note that my 18.5" barreled Mini is severely over gassed, as are 99.9% of them. People have cut down the 18.5" barrel all the way to 14.5" and still had no function issues. I can't use PMC brass in it as it rips the rims off, must be the alloy they use or something. Shooting xm855 or xm193 almost feels like shooting my old AK, but the brass stays together. The recoil with steel crap feels a little closer to the recoil of my 16" BCM carbine length. The recoil/buffer/whatever Ruger calls it spring they use is a small diameter spring that is alot like an AK spring only much stronger. I use it now as a back up to a backup to a back up. AR and AK mags are just much cheaper, costing 1/2 or 1/3 of what Mini OE mags cost.

I did shoot the .243 today after work and got some good groups just under and just over 1" using the 4-14x PA scope. I'm still pretty impressed with the PA scope and it should hold up. MAC did a budget build with one on a .308 so .243 should be fine considering the recoil is much less. Sorry for the derail, we now return to your regular program.

Shiz
11-21-14, 23:21
Really considering this. Been looking at the MTAC and the Nikon too. (1-4)

mastiffhound
11-22-14, 00:57
Really considering this. Been looking at the MTAC and the Nikon too. (1-4)

What will you be using it for? Plinking? Hunting? HD? With 1-4s you have a lot of options.

I liked my 1-6, if it didn't die on my Mini-14 I'd still have it. Primary Arms was great (as I think I stated before) and even offered me my money back. I took store credit and got their 4-14FFP Mil-Dot for my Savage .243 and it has worked well through 300 rds so far. It's a bolt gun and not really something I shoot often so I can't say much about durability.

Another option is the Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR Mod 1 Firedot. I have one and like it a lot. It spent time on my PSA 20" for a couple years banging around in a truck and side by side without a problem. I moved it to my BCM 16" Carbine and it's been there ever since. For an illuminated scope it's very light listed at 9.6 oz. I don't know of any with illumination that are lighter.

A buddy from work has a Leupold VX 1 HOG 1-4x20 and it looks to be the same scope as mine but without illumination and has the Pig Plex reticle. It's decent but it is not a true 1-4, maybe 1.5 on the bottom end. It is however lower priced, he said his was $209 on sale. Some people don't like the reticle but I do. The thicker outer lines on the reticle kind of funnel your eye to the crosshair in a circle. His has held up getting dropped and bumped on hikes and it's damn light, 8.6 oz I think. Again, it might be the lightest optic in the 1-4 magnification range.

A ton of guys like the MTAC and the Nikons, both are suggested on a regular basis as entry 1-4s. The comparable Nikon and Burris are heavier than either of the Leupolds I mentioned, 14 and 17 oz respectively. The MTAC is a 30mm tube though, it's in line with other 30mm 1-4s weight wise. I went with Leupolds because I carry my rifles while hunting or hiking so I wanted lighter scopes and they are about as light as you can get. They've been durable so far and they have a lifetime warranty. People that have had to deal with Leupold's customer service haven't had many complaints that I've seen either.

Another scope recommended on a regular basis are the SWFA branded scopes but they are $100 or more than most everything I mentioned. They do get rave reviews though. As long as you don't go too cheap you should be fine. Warranty, weight, cost, clarity, light gathering, durability, and some others I forget at the moment are all considerations depending on what you plan to do with it.

Shiz
11-22-14, 07:35
Thank you for the info! I would be going on my BCM KMR (elw) so I would still want it to be capable of HD, but would like a little more distance capability if I need it. Not really a hunter.

MBtech
11-22-14, 14:27
Thank you for the info! I would be going on my BCM KMR (elw) so I would still want it to be capable of HD, but would like a little more distance capability if I need it. Not really a hunter.

PA goes months at a time without having the darn thing in stock and for sale, so I got tired of waiting and
just received a Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x and I'm happy as hell with it in the $300 price range. The reticle is way more uncluttered is great on 1x with the circle dot and has ranging capability.

I was very interested in the PA 1-6 for my first hand pick for a budget optic, but geez if you never have it in stock for sale, take it off the website until you do. That's why I shopped elsewhere.

all I've seen is ETA early this month late next month... then in stock for a day or two then gone... what's up with all that?

marsh1
11-22-14, 16:39
PA goes months at a time without having the darn thing in stock and for sale, so I got tired of waiting and
just received a Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR 1-4x and I'm happy as hell with it in the $300 price range. The reticle is way more uncluttered is great on 1x with the circle dot and has ranging capability.

I was very interested in the PA 1-6 for my first hand pick for a budget optic, but geez if you never have it in stock for sale, take it off the website until you do. That's why I shopped elsewhere.

all I've seen is ETA early this month late next month... then in stock for a day or two then gone... what's up with all that?

Whats up is they are that popular. We price it right and this factory makes a quality scope. We take the production capacity we can from them instead of going to a lesser factory. We also now have dealers that pre order. When we run out we will direct people to dealers that have them. The reticle in not cluttered in use it is world class. We received our second and more comprehensive patent on it a few weeks back. That said I get not waiting when you need a optic now. No one wishes we could get more than me.

MBtech
11-22-14, 17:26
Whats up is they are that popular. We price it right and this factory makes a quality scope. We take the production capacity we can from them instead of going to a lesser factory. We also now have dealers that pre order. When we run out we will direct people to dealers that have them. The reticle in not cluttered in use it is world class. We received our second and more comprehensive patent on it a few weeks back. That said I get not waiting when you need a optic now. No one wishes we could get more than me.

Understood and agree completely. I'd still like to try one but needed an affordable optic Now, PA was my first pick. Seems I'm always a day late on the 1-6 PA.

Shiz
11-22-14, 19:49
Marsh1, I am sure impressed you take the time to answer concerns and are polite and patient. You helped decide on my next optic as I read.

cbx
11-23-14, 10:49
I received a gen 2 1-6 this week. Hopefully I'll get to run it this afternoon. The reticle seems like a winner glassing my cows off the back door. The ranging side seems very fast too.

Glass quality is on par with other optics in it's price range, maybe slightly better. 1x does carry some distortion.

Illumination is much better than I expected. It snowed today do it'll be a good day to see how it actually shoots.

I was surprised at the weight, I never paid attention to that spec, but it weighs like my vxr, I'm surprised it's not a 2lb optic like most illuminated budget optics are.

Home on the range report to follow.

MBtech
12-11-14, 14:58

Back in stock, snagging one this time.

Spiffums
12-12-14, 21:03
Ordered mine and a mount........Last time they were in stock I had to build a PC. A buddy got 1 last time around and I love it so I snagged it this time.

huntswithweim
12-14-14, 13:10
I got mine and ADM mount I ordered yesterday (12/13). It shipped out fast and looked to be in good condition when it arrived. I got it mounted last night and really liked the reticle and the illumination looked good. Took it out this morning to go sight in. It was overcast so I thought I would try the illumination out, no luck. I was sure I turned it off last night but maybe I didn't get it all the way off. I went and picked up a 2 pack from the store and tried again. The first battery the illumination worked and I went through all the settings and back to the off position. Tried to turn it back on and nothing. Threw in the second new battery and nothing at all. So I don't know if the illumination turret is bad or something inside is causing the battery's to burn up/ short out.

I am going to call PA on Monday and see what they want to do. They sound like a good group so I doubt it will be a big deal to get squared away. Other then the illumination issue I will say I really like it so far.

marsh1
12-14-14, 15:09
I got mine and ADM mount I ordered yesterday (12/13). It shipped out fast and looked to be in good condition when it arrived. I got it mounted last night and really liked the reticle and the illumination looked good. Took it out this morning to go sight in. It was overcast so I thought I would try the illumination out, no luck. I was sure I turned it off last night but maybe I didn't get it all the way off. I went and picked up a 2 pack from the store and tried again. The first battery the illumination worked and I went through all the settings and back to the off position. Tried to turn it back on and nothing. Threw in the second new battery and nothing at all. So I don't know if the illumination turret is bad or something inside is causing the battery's to burn up/ short out.

I am going to call PA on Monday and see what they want to do. They sound like a good group so I doubt it will be a big deal to get squared away. Other then the illumination issue I will say I really like it so far.

We did push them through QC pretty quick but should have caught this. Shoot me a email with the order # and I will get another one out with a pre paid return label for that one. marshall@primaryarms.com

SurplusShooter
12-14-14, 18:45
I just got one from the latest batch, Looking forward to mounting it and trying it out :)

Spiffums
12-14-14, 19:59
We did push them through QC pretty quick but should have caught this. Shoot me a email with the order # and I will get another one out with a pre paid return label for that one. marshall@primaryarms.com

Now that is Customer Service! If only more companies were like PA the world would be a much better place to shop.

huntswithweim
12-14-14, 20:42
Marshall, thanks for the quick response on m4carbine.net, specially on a Sunday afternoon. Email sent.

Deadwing
12-22-14, 02:58
For those who are still trying to get their hands on one of these, they're in stock from Primary Arms here: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_6X_Scope_with_Patented_ACSS_Reticle_p/paps1-6x.htm

AIM Surplus also has them in stock here: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPAPS16X&name=Primary+Arms+1-6X+Scope+w%2f+ACSS+Reticle&groupid=1059

Pilot1
12-22-14, 05:03
I have a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x40. How does this PA scope compare to the Burris? I am thinking of picking up a second carbine, and would also like to mount an optic on this one. I like the Burris, but would like something different.

huntswithweim
12-22-14, 08:36
I picked up one of these out of the last batch. Had a slight illumination issue with the first one I received but Marshall and his team corrected it very quickly and the second one They shipped out I have a no trouble with. Between the holidays and the poor weather I haven't had a chance to really take it out and shoot at a long distance with it. But so far I really like it. On settings 10 and 11 on the illumination it is daylight visible. I am very impressed with the glass quality on it especially for the price point.

Sean W.
12-22-14, 13:37
For the people who have owned the Gen II for awhile, has anyone put it through any kind of abuse? Did it fare well?

B Cart
12-22-14, 15:16
For the people who have owned the Gen II for awhile, has anyone put it through any kind of abuse? Did it fare well?

I've shot multiple thousand rounds with mine now including a couple shoots in wet weather, and a few short-mid range carbine matches. It has held up great so far. About 6 months ago I strapped my 16" AR with PA 1-6 to the front of a 4-wheeler on a hunting trip (thinking it would be an easy ride). It turned out to be one of the most brutal 2 hour rides I've been on, and it rocked the crap out of my gun the whole time and the scope was hitting the metal guard the entire ride. When we got back, my muzzle brake was almost off from all the jarring, and I thought the scope would be wrecked. My 100 yard zero had shifted slightly (about .3 mils), but other than that it looked like it held up great. I adjusted the zero back and it has held zero perfectly ever since.

So, so far so good for me

Sean W.
12-23-14, 02:07
Thanks B Cart,

Decided to grab one and give it a try with an ADM mount.

prdubi
01-04-15, 09:35
Not seeing these in stock.

marsh1
01-04-15, 12:31
Not seeing these in stock.

We have them in stock

Mike from Texas
01-08-15, 08:06
I am building a 10.5" 458 Socom SBR. I'm trying to save money where I can. Will this scope hold up to the recoil of a Socom and what reticle would be best to use?

I normally run Leupold optics and I in no way expect this to be on par with a VX-6 or Mark 6 but if it will hold up to the recoil, I'll give it a try.

marsh1
01-08-15, 09:04
I am building a 10.5" 458 Socom SBR. I'm trying to save money where I can. Will this scope hold up to the recoil of a Socom and what reticle would be best to use?

I normally run Leupold optics and I in no way expect this to be on par with a VX-6 or Mark 6 but if it will hold up to the recoil, I'll give it a try.

Give me you fps weight and BC and I will ask Dimitri the reticle designer to see how it matches up. More recoil than we have done long term testing on but if the reticle works we can upgrade you to one of the higher recoil ACSS scopes that are in the works for later this year.

Mike from Texas
01-08-15, 10:44
Give me you fps weight and BC and I will ask Dimitri the reticle designer to see how it matches up. More recoil than we have done long term testing on but if the reticle works we can upgrade you to one of the higher recoil ACSS scopes that are in the works for later this year.

Best anticipated velocity I can give you is 1650fps, BC .236, Barnes 300 grain TTSX.

Edit: there is a possibility subs will be used as well.

marsh1
01-09-15, 08:02
Best anticipated velocity I can give you is 1650fps, BC .236, Barnes 300 grain TTSX.

Edit: there is a possibility subs will be used as well.

Can you say drops like a rock! I don't think the reticle works.

300-133
400-172
500-216
600-263
700-310
800-362

Mike from Texas
01-09-15, 12:00
Can you say drops like a rock! I don't think the reticle works.

300-133
400-172
500-216
600-263
700-310
800-362

Lol. I'm very well aware that it will be a short range gun.

I'm building it as a novelty/close range pig gun.

What scope/reticle are the values above listed for?

marsh1
01-09-15, 12:09
Lol. I'm very well aware that it will be a short range gun.

I'm building it as a novelty/close range pig gun.

What scope/reticle are the values above listed for?

This is our 1-6X ACSS reticle scope The numbers on the left are where the hash marks line up with 5.56/ right is .458

beungood
08-02-15, 06:35
I shot my PA 1-6 ACSS yesterday out to 800 yards with awesome results. I was shooting with a bipod and rear bag, from a bench, at man sized steel silhouette targets using 62 gr M855 factory rounds, with a 5-7 mph left to right wind. I used the built in bullet drop mark for each target, and used the built in 5mph wind hold dot exactly on the target. I made first round, and repeatable hits at 500, 600, and 700 yards, and it took me 2 shots to make a hit at 800, with repeatable hits following at 800. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate the bullet drop hash lines are on the ACSS reticle at long range! I was shooting with a couple buddies running Leupold Mk8 1-8 scopes, and needless to say, everyone was impressed with the PA 1-6 for the money. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I am with it.

Would you trust your life on it if you were a cop or in the military?

marsh1
08-02-15, 09:03
Would you trust your life on it if you were a cop or in the military?

Probably not but you can get the same reticle in an Acog.

beungood
08-02-15, 09:06
What model ACOG?

beungood
08-02-15, 20:17
Love to see long term durability. Love the reticle . I know this isn't marketed to ////////law Enforcement or Military but I'm pretty tempted to run it..

beungood
08-02-15, 20:24

Whoa, you got my interest now. The only other scope Ive had interest in is the Norden GRSC 1x6. Maybe I will hold off for a bit..

cbx
08-03-15, 10:57
Marsh, if possible, make this new 1-8 scope weigh 20 oz or less. I know it may not be possible.

I don't know Jack about building optics. Just that I really prefer optics that aren't super heavy for a carry rifle. It could be really amazing but if it weighs 30 oz, that would be a deal breaker for me.

(Eta never mind, scopes already published with data.)

TAZ
08-03-15, 11:42
Since we are putting a wish list up, is there any chance to get the reticle from the 1-8 into the 1-6 as an option. Not a big fan of BDC reticles, so the MIL based reticle on the 1-8 would be nice to have in the 1-6.

cbx
08-03-15, 11:46
Never mind my last post marsh. I just saw the scope listing. Sorry guys, I suck at life.

marsh1
08-03-15, 16:35
Since we are putting a wish list up, is there any chance to get the reticle from the 1-8 into the 1-6 as an option. Not a big fan of BDC reticles, so the MIL based reticle on the 1-8 would be nice to have in the 1-6.

Not is the works. Will add that to the possible new project list for next year.

wesr228
08-09-15, 12:12
Saw that there is a new 1-6 for 300blk with sub and super holdovers. Really looking forward to this, and I hope they don't sell out in a day! The 300 I'm building is more for hunting and fun more than anything and hope this optic fills my needs.

The only other option I was seriously considering was the Mark IV 1.5-5 and this scope is about $1,000 less.

XD40Colorado
08-10-15, 13:33
Had one, sold it here on the EE. Reflects light from objective back into your face.
At 100 yards, you can't focus on the reticle or the target bull - you have to pick one or the other.
Glass quality is so-so; MUCH easier to see hits on a "Shoot 'N' See" target at 100 yards with burris MTAC vs this.
When it comes to rifles and scopes, you do, in fact, get what you pay for.