PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaning?

Rikakiah
09-24-13, 21:33
I hate cleaning. I do it every time I get back from the range (even if I just fired 20 rounds), I just hate it.

That said, anything to make the job easier/less messy interests me. I'm planning to get a small ultrasonic cleaner in the future when my .22 suppressor comes in as that's a recommended way from the company to clean the baffles.

My question is, how much of my AR can I clean in there, too? Will it take the finish off my bcg? I'm guessing it will take at least any marking paint off the outside, if not the finish, so there's no point getting one large enough to drop the whole receiver or even upper in, right?

I'm fine if it's just the bcg, if that'll work, since that's probably the dirtiest and most critical to clean, just don't want to ruin any finish on it.
Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

SurplusShooter
09-24-13, 21:40
I ultrasonic clean my Rimfire suppressor.
When you say "take the finish off" there are two effects:
1) mechanical wear due to contact with the basket or other parts
2) the cleaning agent + ultrasonic action actually eating the paint off.

The #1 effect, mechanical wear, is always gonna happen, no way around it. Can try plastic baskets (instead of bare wire) to mittigate the effect.

The #2 effect is a result of the cleaning solution.

I have thought of throwing my BCG in there for cleaning but haven't tried it yet. Search on these forums someone else is cleaning BCG's in USC's and they posted about it.

I have a commercial-style dual-transducer unit with heater. If I use plain soap and water the effect is like "meh, whatever", not really helping.
But mix 50/50 Purple Power and "whoa" the suppressor's baked-on residue start to break up, it's a night and day difference.

The other thing you need to think about is 3) it's expensive to have a unit large enough to dunk an AR upper completely. And 4) much of your AR (upper and lower) is Aluminum which is a danger-area for ultrasonic cleaning. (Not impossible, ultrasonic cleaning of Aluminum is done in Some industrial applications) The Purple Power cleaner, specifically, says not to use it on Aluminum.

uncle money bags
09-24-13, 21:48
There are really only two issues with respect to ultra sonic cleaners and finish damage. One is from the friction of the parts rubbing against the sides of the cleaner or the container suspended in the cleaner and the parts being cleaned. The second depends on the cleaning solution itself.
I have used ultra sonic cleaners professionally on a near daily basis for over 20 years and can say the first point above is a very minor concern while the second can be a much bigger concern.
I recommend a detergent based cleaner like 409 or LA's Totally Awesome diluted as directed on the bottle. Rinse thoroughly in hot water afterward and use compressed air to dry the part if possible. Obviously you will want to lube well post cleaning.

Having said all of that however, and considering the clean up of the equipment afterward, i dont find that it makes the process any faster or considerably better than conventional cleaning. It is probably over kill, especially with the ar.
Now, a dirty ass glock frame? I will drop in the ultra sonic every time if its dirty enough.

dhrith
09-24-13, 21:49
The #1 effect, mechanical wear, is always gonna happen, no way around it. Can try plastic baskets (instead of bare wire) to mittigate the effect.

Suspend it in the solution with some wire or string from an overhead stick or some such. Voila, no metal to metal contact.

SurplusShooter
09-24-13, 21:52
Suspend it in the solution with some wire or string from an overhead stick or some such. Voila, no metal to metal contact.

Duh, I didn't think of that ;)

Rikakiah
09-24-13, 22:03
Thanks for the fast replies. Yeah, I didn't figure a large enough one for the whole gun would be financially practical.

I guess I'll just stick with my plan to get the cleaner for the suppressor. I may throw the bcg in there at that time, but won't bother to get it just for the bcg, then.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

1_click_off
09-24-13, 23:02
Not as good as results, but you can also put your parts in a ziplock bag, fill with cleaning solution. Now place a rod/dowel across the top of the cleaner full of just water, drop the bag in and secure it to the rod to suspend it in the cleaner. Helps with the mechanical wear.

BoringGuy45
09-24-13, 23:23
I got a small cleaner about a year ago and have used it a grand total of 5 times. I found it's good for detailed cleaning and getting parts factory clean and dry; essentially hitting restart on your gun. A few trips into the cleaner will get really stubborn caked on carbon loose from small parts. It's also good for cleaning parts that you're prepping for Froglube, Fireclean, and other lubes like them that don't work well when previously applied petroleum-based lubes and cleaners remain in the metal.

Other than that, I think cleaning your gun down to the bare metal every time you're done shooting is like changing your car's oil every time you're done driving it. Sonic cleaners, I've found, actually are more work in cleaning and re-lubing guns than cleaning them by hand. If they were essentially the gun cleaning equivalent of a dishwasher (that is, you throw it in, take it out, and it's good to go with nothing further needed), everyone would own them. If you don't like cleaning, try Froglube or Fireclean.

Iraqgunz
09-24-13, 23:46
Why not take the time to read some of the cleaning threads? It's been discussed more than enough times.