PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" high scope mount suggestion?

ShipWreck
09-25-13, 11:20
I will have a SCAR soon, and I MIGHT buy a Trijicon 1-4x scope soon (still debating if I wanna make that leap)

I want a mount that puts the center of the scope at 1.5" high. Trijicon makes a mount of their scopes - but no where have I been able to find out the height # info. Does anyone else know?

Many mounts are something like 1.4-something inches high (to the mid point). GG&G and several others are like that. Rock Rivers is over 1.5" in height (plus, the Rock River mount is heavy). I've read so-so things about the Burris mount.

Anyone have a suggestion? I've read many people complaint that La Rue mounts are known for tearing up rails. On a SCAR, I obviously wouldn't want this.

The Bobro mount seems to be very good, and is at 1.5" high for the 30mm version. But, it's not cheap either...

I'm gonna be using a Nikon mount on a 15-22 carbine soon. But, I wouldn't wanna use it on the SCAR, I think... No quick detach and only 1 screw instead of two holding down the rings on the mount. For a 22 it's fine. Probably not good enough for a SCAR. In all honestly, I'll probably never put the scope and off the SCAR - but the quick detach feature would still be nice.

Nick S
09-29-13, 01:02
Are you looking for QD or not? Larue, Bobro, KAC or Spuhr are all good choices.

The 1.5" is height over rail not height over bore. This is important if you are plugging numbers into a ballistic calculator. I use Larue mounts and have never had a problem with them tearing up rails. I cant speak for others.

Good luck.

jmnielsen
09-29-13, 06:46
I really like my aero precision mount. It's 1.5" tall like you are looking for, not QD though. Hard to beat at only 3oz.

ShipWreck
09-29-13, 15:22
Are you looking for QD or not? Larue, Bobro, KAC or Spuhr are all good choices.

The 1.5" is height over rail not height over bore. This is important if you are plugging numbers into a ballistic calculator. I use Larue mounts and have never had a problem with them tearing up rails. I cant speak for others.

Good luck.

Yes, I am aware of the height being over the rail. I have neck problems, and I need that height over the rail or it sits too low for me.

Since I posted this, I took my SCAR out yesterday with my Mepro 21. I shot the gun better with the Mepro than I did with the Mepro sitting on an AUG. So, I've decided I will likely NOT buy that Trijicon 1-4x afterall. But, if I change my mind later - I would probably want quick detach levers.

The Bobro seems to be the one that I like the best, despite the cost

SA80Dan
09-30-13, 04:39
The trijicon branded qd mount is the Bobro - I have one. Well recommended, I would say to get the extended variant though, just that bit more placement flexibility for shooter style and eye relief.

ShipWreck
09-30-13, 11:04
The trijicon branded qd mount is the Bobro - I have one. Well recommended, I would say to get the extended variant though, just that bit more placement flexibility for shooter style and eye relief.

Is it? I didn't know that.

If I change my mind and get the optic later - the rifle is a SCAR. So, I have a bit more flexibility on where to place the mount (compared to an AR15 trying to keep it off the quad rail area).

But, thanks for the information!