PDA

View Full Version : NFL is a non profit org?!

WillBrink
09-25-13, 19:04
How on earth? As usual, truth is stranger than fiction:

Why Does the National Football League Deserve Tax-Exempt Status?

You may not know it, but the National Football League is a nonprofit organization. It may seem absurd that a collection of teams that generated at least $9 billion in revenue last season would be given tax-exempt status, but the NFL is technically classified as a 501(c)6 organization.

Cont:

http://sportsfans.org/2012/03/why-is-the-national-football-league-given-tax-exempt-status/

SteyrAUG
09-25-13, 19:25
I actually have no words.

fixit69
09-25-13, 19:26
Seriously?

WTF moment. Never knew about this.

WillBrink
09-25-13, 19:37
I actually have no words.

"What a f-ing BS scam that is!" comes to mind! What could more blatantly for profit than the NFL?! :eek::eek::eek:

JBecker 72
09-25-13, 19:47
MLB only recently lost their tax exempt status. (2007)

JBecker 72
09-25-13, 19:48
It's all Bush's fault.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/11/21/56/2431873/11/628x471.jpg

Pork Chop
09-25-13, 20:05
You leave my NFL alone. Football is like air and water to me. I would give them farm subsidies if I could.

Ok, not really. It's pretty unbelievable that they are a non-profit.

Spiffums
09-25-13, 20:50
You leave my NFL alone. Football is like air and water to me. I would give them farm subsidies if I could.

Ok, not really. It's pretty unbelievable that they are a non-profit.

You'd pay them not to play?

Pork Chop
09-25-13, 21:49
You'd pay them not to play?

Lol, that's funny.

I do love football. Alot. But, the NFL as a non-profit is ridiculous. Pretty much like the catholic hospital network.

SteveS
09-25-13, 21:58
I actually have no words. How can I say this politely? The golden rule!! Those that have the gold make the rules. I am so amazed that people do not realize how corrupt the government/corporations are.

SteveS
09-25-13, 21:59
It's all Bush's fault.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/11/21/56/2431873/11/628x471.jpg
They are on the corrupt politician /one world order list.

_Stormin_
09-25-13, 22:08
I'll admit, this one is an absolute head scratcher… I get how they got the exempt status in the past, but how they didn't end up losing it is beyond me.

Maybe this is why they're in bed with the promotion of Obamacare...

CodeRed30
09-25-13, 22:33
I'm speechless.

Nightvisionary
09-26-13, 02:32
Games played with rubber balls are an important distraction tool for government so it makes perfect sense that the NFL would be tax exempt. It is much easier to loot the treasury, destroy the constitution, and enslave the people when Americans are distracted with meaningless sports minutiae and fantasy football leagues.

polymorpheous
09-26-13, 03:18
Games played with rubber balls are an important distraction tool for government so it makes perfect sense that the NFL would be tax exempt. It is much easier to loot the treasury, destroy the constitution, and enslave the people when Americans are distracted with meaningless sports minutiae and fantasy football leagues.

Winner!

Why do you all think the football season starts near the start of the federal fiscal year?

Palmguy
09-26-13, 07:53
I'm not a tax expert, and I'm not saying that the tax situation with respect to the NFL is as it should be, however it's a little more complicated than portrayed.

Profit, not revenue is what should be discussed when it comes to taxes. That $9B number is good for headlines but it is revenue.

The NFL itself has the status, not the individual teams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/06/01/nfl-as-tax-exempt-less-than-meets-the-eye/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9342479/examining-nfl-tax-exempt-status-challenged-us-senator-tom-coburn

"The NFL League Office is a not-for-profit organization. The NFL League Office receives funding from the 32 member clubs to cover its non-revenue overhead activities such as office rent, League Office salaries and game officiating. In addition, the NFL League Office collects revenues on behalf of the 32 member clubs and distributes those revenues to the clubs. All national revenues (e.g. broadcast TV payments) collected and paid to the member clubs, as well as local revenues earned individually by the clubs, are subject to tax at the club level."

Money generated from sources like NFL Network, national sponsorship deals and merchandise fall under the umbrella of a for-profit company called NFL Ventures, which is owned by the 32 teams, not by the league office. Accordingly, this money is already subject to taxation.

Crow Hunter
09-26-13, 08:11
Not surprising.

The company I used to work for, which was the largest privately owned automotive supplier in the world when I worked for them, was a non-profit company.

All profits over and above what was needed to run the business and pay for acquisitions was paid to the founders foundation in Germany. They doled it out around the world to schools and other such stuff.

The company my wife works for now is a non-profit electric company co-op owned corporation. They are making money hand over fist. All the while paying there senior staff managers insane bonuses (for this area), $250k - $1,000,000k+, while shafting the rest of their employees. If they just took half the amount of bonuses they pay out and give it to the employees, everyone could see a $5,000 raise. Which is warranted considering they have been working them 6-7 days a week for over a year.:angry:

I wouldn't be suprised that there were LOTS more non profit corporations out there.

Caeser25
09-26-13, 08:45
Not surprising.

The company I used to work for, which was the largest privately owned automotive supplier in the world when I worked for them, was a non-profit company.

All profits over and above what was needed to run the business and pay for acquisitions was paid to the founders foundation in Germany. They doled it out around the world to schools and other such stuff.

The company my wife works for now is a non-profit electric company co-op owned corporation. They are making money hand over fist. All the while paying there senior staff managers insane bonuses (for this area), $250k - $1,000,000k+, while shafting the rest of their employees. If they just took half the amount of bonuses they pay out and give it to the employees, everyone could see a $5,000 raise. Which is warranted considering they have been working them 6-7 days a week for over a year.:angry:

I wouldn't be suprised that there were LOTS more non profit corporations out there.

The two largest health insurers in my area are tax exempt, non profits are in the same boat paying, their ceos $5,000,000 plus. That was the last ceo anyways. He even gave himself a 20% raise the one year which equaled $1,000,000 while everyone else got 2%. Not even enough to cover the real inflation %.

montanadave
09-26-13, 10:23
Read it and weep: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Big A
09-26-13, 12:24
"What a f-ing BS scam that is!" comes to mind! What could more blatantly for profit than the NFL?! :eek::eek::eek:

NCAA...