PDA

View Full Version : 1000-Lumen Surefire

krisjon
09-25-13, 20:16
Looks like Surefire is getting closer and closer to a real lightsaber.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2013/09/24/surefire-p3x-fury-3-batteries-1000-lumens/

jaxman7
09-26-13, 04:31
Wasn't really excited until I clicked on and read 1000 lumens from a 3 cell body. That's awesome.

-Jax

Trajan
09-26-13, 07:32
I'm just curious why they didn't transfer that technology to the existing two cell fury. Make them 750 lumens or something.

This looks like it'll be an awesome carbine light once converted to single output only. Would be nice if they made a rotating bezel like the vampire series that switches between 200 and 1000.

LSK
09-26-13, 13:23
Elzetta has a 900 lumen 3 cell. I have used the SF Fury and the Elzetta 2 cell 200+ lumen, and think that the Elzetta is the stronger piece of kit.

Bowser
10-02-13, 04:10
Is there a clicky switch that would work with this light? I only want one output, but I want to choose between momentary and constant on without twisting the cap.

The Elzetta version of that at 900 lumens is $210.

Trajan
10-02-13, 08:45
Is there a clicky switch that would work with this light? I only want one output, but I want to choose between momentary and constant on without twisting the cap.

The Elzetta version of that at 900 lumens is $210.

Assuming the head is the same as the regular Fury, you could always just cut the trace eliminating the 5 lumen output.

ST911
10-02-13, 08:46
Assuming the head is the same as the regular Fury, you could always just cut the trace eliminating the 5 lumen output.

Tell me more about this.

Trajan
10-02-13, 08:54
Tell me more about this.

Remove the head on your Fury. You should see two circles of trace connected by a straight piece of trace. The difference between single output and dual output is that at the factory, Surefire brakes the trace (go compare a single output of yours to a dual). All you need to do is take the tip of a knife and scratch the straight connection, breaking them. Then your dual output is now a single output (only the highest setting). You can conversely reconnect this with solder to get a dual output mode if you want to go back, or if you own a single output and want dual.

ptmccain
10-02-13, 08:56
Will double as a fire starter too!

1000 lumens...wow.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-02-13, 17:07
Sounds like a hell of a duty light.

Bowser
10-04-13, 02:20
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4762

I see the single output model (P3X-A-BK) in stock in various places.

Switching
Type: Two-stage tactical
Momentary and constant-on modes
Shroudless tailcap pushbutton for comfort and ease of use
Press pushbutton for momentary activation; twist tailcap for constant-on
Tailcap lockout prevents accidental activation

I may just buy it.

Eric_Oh
10-04-13, 02:46
At that output level you, its past that curve of practical indoor application. Id hate to catch a reflection of that come back off a mirror or glass. I think it'd be great for outdoor application though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jellybean
10-06-13, 20:18
So, I'm guessing the runtime at 1k lumens is going to be about 5 minutes? :p

TyGuy
10-06-13, 21:16
I cringe at the weight. And indoors there is a thing as too much light. It bounces off of walls and comes back to your eyes.

Javelin
10-07-13, 01:23
I'm in the 200 lumen is a great compromise. My scout is a good example at 200 is perfect for inside and out... and my G2X at 300 lumen is a tad bit bright. 1000 lumen is not something I wish for. I'd rather take a 200 lumen with 4hr burn time as the battery life is what's important to light fighters but it seems that no one at Surefire listens and instead is just pushing the output.

Bello
10-16-13, 19:31
Does it have a wall plug?

Javelin
10-16-13, 19:55
Does it have a wall plug?

That's funny.

firerocketjump
10-16-13, 21:43
Seriously, stop with the posting just to get into the EE. You need to read a while and stop posting. - SeriousStudent

msstate56
10-16-13, 23:37
I'm in the 200 lumen is a great compromise. My scout is a good example at 200 is perfect for inside and out... and my G2X at 300 lumen is a tad bit bright. 1000 lumen is not something I wish for. I'd rather take a 200 lumen with 4hr burn time as the battery life is what's important to light fighters but it seems that no one at Surefire listens and instead is just pushing the output.

I work a night patrol shift, and have for the better part of a decade. I find that 500 lumens is the minimum I want in a weapon light, or tactical handheld. I have a 750 lumen Lawman R1 that I use every night. the only time I ever want less light is if I'm looking under a seat in a car. I also carry a small single C123 light for small admin tasks. I used to use 200 lumen lights, but I still couldn't ID targets, or see what was in someone's hand beyond 25-30 yards. With 500 lumen Furys, X300 Ultras and R1 lawman, I can easily ID targets out to 100 yards. Yes, I've used all of the above lights to clear buildings. Including several structures under construction that had nothing but solid bright white walls. Not once have I been blinded.

That said, I probably wouldn't use a 1000 lumen light indoors, but outside on traffic stops, behind buildings, or especially search and rescue, I would definitely use a 1000 lumen Surefire. The runtime is supposed to be the same as the 2 battery Fury at 500 lumens.

texasgunhand
10-16-13, 23:55
Seems like there would be a ton of washout indoors...

Javelin
10-17-13, 00:48
I guess I will just hold out and upgrade for the 50,000 lumen model.

'Because I don't always use a taclight...
But when I do I prefer commercial aircraft headlamps.'

Javelin
10-17-13, 00:55
Seriously though... Some guys must really have some bad night vision or eyesight. One of the two. :)

Trajan
10-17-13, 08:26
Seriously though... Some guys must really have some bad night vision or eyesight. One of the two. :)

More lumens work better when there is already ambient light. For example, a street corner that has lights on both sides with an alley way that is completely dark. More lumens will allow you to see better into that alley way, my guess is due to your vision washing out from the other lights.

sammage
10-17-13, 08:36
Remove the head on your Fury. You should see two circles of trace connected by a straight piece of trace. The difference between single output and dual output is that at the factory, Surefire brakes the trace (go compare a single output of yours to a dual). All you need to do is take the tip of a knife and scratch the straight connection, breaking them. Then your dual output is now a single output (only the highest setting). You can conversely reconnect this with solder to get a dual output mode if you want to go back, or if you own a single output and want dual.

Have done this mod to some G2X Pros in the past to get a single output with clicky for cheap. :D

TCB
10-19-13, 07:25
This is going to be a great light for those of us who work out of doors. I run 500 lumen Surefires on my rifle, sidearm and another one for a hand held and have never once thought I needed less light inside or out. The only place where lower lumens help is for cutting sign (tracking) as the 500 lumens can wash out foot sign but I have a 200/60 lumen Surefire for that. As I understand the 1000 lumens will quickly go down to 500 and give me more runtime at that level, this light is going to rule as a handheld while searching for bodies out in the brush.

Screwball
10-19-13, 09:12
I have the G2X on my AR, P2X for a handheld (girlfriend has one, as well), and just ordered a P3X... just because.

Bowser
11-04-13, 18:28
Did anyone actually get one yet?

Just curious at how long it really lasts at 1k before it starts to drop significantly.

jerrysimons
11-04-13, 20:46
More lumens work better when there is already ambient light. For example, a street corner that has lights on both sides with an alley way that is completely dark. More lumens will allow you to see better into that alley way, my guess is due to your vision washing out from the other lights.

I have definetly found this to be the case aswell. Our pupils adjust to the ambient light and make the shadows harder to see.