PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Select or Daniel defence govt 16 middy Barrel?

mickeyjr308
09-26-13, 11:59
Hi All,

Looking to build a new rifle for service rifle matches. Plan on using a 16" middy barrel. Which barrel would be more accurate to 500M?
Daniel defence DD-9081 or Rainer arms select barrel? I am using hand loaded 75gr rounds.

Thank you in advance.
MickeyJr308.

nml
09-26-13, 12:36
Go with a stainless match barrel for matches. DD midlength is not designed for that, look at the profile before the gas block

crusader377
09-26-13, 13:17
Over the standard chromed lined DD barrel, I would have to go with Rainier for a match rifle. With the DD s2w profile with the nitrate coating that would be a different story and I think both Rainier and DD s2w barrels would serve your needs very well.

philpac33
09-26-13, 14:42
For your application I suggest the Rainier Select barrel. I have a 16" Rainier Select that outshoots what I'm able to do with RDS. It's guaranteed to shoot MOA with match-grade ammo.

mpom
09-26-13, 17:52
If you can get the Ranier Select!
Been waiting for over 6 months...

Mark

ShootinRN
09-26-13, 18:00
Why not a 20" for service rifle matches (Perry style)? Or is this a "do all" rifle?

In researching my Recce build/purchase, I found quite a bit of positive feedback from the Rainer barrels especially their higher grade as mentioned. The DD heavier S2W 18" barrel has some good reviews as well.

sinister
09-26-13, 18:16
...build a new rifle for service rifle matches.

If shooting USPSA Rules almost anything goes.

If you're shooting CMP/NRA competition the rules are a bit more restrictive (the rifle has to externally look like an M16):

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.PDF

6.2.3 U.S. Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm, M16
The rifle must be an M16A2 or M16A4 rifle issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or a commercial rifle of the same type and caliber. M16 rifles must be chambered for the 5.56mm cartridge and comply with the following specific requirements:

• Modification to make automatic fire impossible without removing,replacing or altering parts is allowed.

• Metal or synthetic (polymer) magazines with standard service 20 or 30-round box magazine dimensions must be attached during the firing of all courses and in all positions. A 10-round magazine with the same external dimensions as a standard service 20-round box magazine may be used. A dummy magazine with a ramp for single shot loading may be used if this magazine has the same external dimensions as the standard service 20-round box magazine. Standard service 20-round magazines are straight, without curves. Standard service 30-round magazines are curved.

• The front sight post may be fixed or lockable.

• To stabilize the rear sight assembly, it may be fitted with one or more pins extending down into the receiver or with stabilizing projections extending forward no more than 5/16” into the top groove of the carrying handle.

• The flash suppressor and bayonet lug may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor or bayonet lug. A vented barrel extension may be attached. Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifling in the barrel.

• A screw may be inserted in the back radius of the pistol grip where it joins the lower receiver. This screw may extend into the rear lock-down lug of the upper receiver for the purpose of securing the upper and lower receivers. The screw head may not protrude above the original surface of the receiver. Both ends of the original takedown pin must remain in place so that the original outside configuration is not changed.

• Upper receivers may not be changed during the firing of any match.

• An external device may be attached to prevent selector lever movement to the auto position.

• The front sling swivel may be attached to the front ferrule of the hand guard or front tip of the “tube” (in the case of a floating barrel system) as long as it remains in the 6 o’clock position and is no more than ½ inch from the original sling swivel location.

• An M16A1 rifle (short) butt stock or pistol grip or its commercial equivalents may be installed in lieu of the M16A2 or M16A4 butt stock or pistol grip. A fixed-length aftermarket stock that reduces the length of pull to no less than 10 inches may also be installed on an M16A2 or M16A4 rifle or a commercial equivalent rifle. Any aftermarket stock must have the same external characteristics as the A2 or A1 stocks except for the shorter length. Collapsible stocks of the type used on M16 M4/M4A1 Carbines are not permitted. The same butt-stock must be used for all stages of a competition.

• If an M16 A4 or a commercial equivalent rifle with a removable carry handle is used, the rifle must be equipped with a carry handle and rear sight that has the same configuration as the carry handle on the M16A2 (height, type of sight, etc.). No optical sights are permitted. The carry handle must be attached to the rifle in such a way that the sight radius remains the same as the M16A2 rifle. A higher front sight base (.060”) or lower rear sight base/ carry handle (.060”) may be used to allow proper zeroing of the rifle from 100 to 1,000 yards.

• A standard hand guard or tube without an accessory rail must be used. The sling swivel can attach to the front ferrule of the hand guard or the front tip of the tube in accordance with Rule 6.2.3.31

• A DVC-T-30 or commercial equivalent case deflector may be attached.

• The M16A4 quad rail or commercial equivalent hand-guard may be used. The quad rail must be 12” in length and have four rails at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions running the entire length of the hand-guard. The diameter of the rail must be at least 2” and not more than 2.5”. The rail may be free floating. The front sling swivel must be attached to the front end of the hand-guard. The standard A-frame front sight must be fixed in the as-issued position on the barrel. Plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the hand-guard.

• California residents only may use rifles where a Bullet Button AR-15 Magazine Lock or similar device that is legal according to California laws has replaced the conventional magazine catch.

• Grip extensions of any type are prohibited.

SteveS
09-26-13, 18:44
20" barrel,,, Plus the 20" barrels are nice to shoot.

mickeyjr308
09-27-13, 12:20
Thank you for the replies.
I should of stated that I live in Canada and here we should a different style of service rifle matches. We shoot 100m,200m,300m,500m. deliberate, rapid, snaps, run downs in the standing, kneeling, prone positions. I usually shoot a colt 20" Hbar with an Elcan 3.4 optic. I am trying to build a lighter, compact rifle for these matches. The 14.5/16 middy rainier select barrels look very good. What is the barrel life of the rainier barrels? Are the bores coated?

Thanks,
MickeyJr308.

sinister
09-27-13, 12:27
You will do fine with either barrel.

The stainless barrel is an excellent starting point. Once it dies it will die hard (deteriorating precision will be like falling off a cliff).

The Daniel is also a very, very good choice with exceptional accuracy. It should last a good, long time. Accuracy on a military-style chrome-lined, hammer-forged, chro-moly-vanadium will hold well for those ranges using 73, 75, and 77-grain ammo. Precision grouping has a long, steady life -- groups expand slowly, and you'll notice you need more elevation than before as your throat wears out.

I have barrels of both type-configuration (Krieger vice Rainier) for different style competition and hunting-shooting.

Generally-speaking I'd buy the Daniel Defense barrel (free-floated) and not lose sleep.

mpom
09-27-13, 13:05
Am waiting for a Ranier 16" Select to ship. Picked this barrel because its supposed to be "match grade", meaning moa capable with good ammo, and a long service life due to a treatment similar to nitriding, according to Ranier. I also like the profile; light but not super thin. Not sure about the DD you are looking at, but doubt its a bad choice, especially if its available and you need it now. No telling when the Ranier will be in stock, could be a week or next year. Been waiting around 8 months.

Mark

mickeyjr308
09-27-13, 20:49
Sinister thank you for the info.
Question for you with the Daniel defence barrel being a govt profile 16middy. Would the groups open up at longer distances as the barrel heats up? Per you suggestions I will free float the barrel.

Thanks,
MickeyJr308.

sinister
09-27-13, 21:12
It depends on rate of fire, number of rounds fired, and barrel wear.

If you're shooting the CFSAC program you'll be fine. If I had a choice I'd use a DD mid-weight contour rather than a Government, but they've discontinued the 16-inch and only carry the 18 now (a carbine would be this long):

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxjGJGGOPNRjSr3zeZHxrs2gUhYhsIravSP9ZZn2p1lQuai8sp

CMMG still carries mid-length/mid-weight chrome-lined chro-moly barrels.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/zympc.qnkxo/v/vspfiles/photos/55DD30B-2T.jpg?1338990857

justin_247
09-28-13, 14:18
It depends on rate of fire, number of rounds fired, and barrel wear.

If you're shooting the CFSAC program you'll be fine. If I had a choice I'd use a DD mid-weight contour rather than a Government, but they've discontinued the 16-inch and only carry the 18 now (a carbine would be this long):

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxjGJGGOPNRjSr3zeZHxrs2gUhYhsIravSP9ZZn2p1lQuai8sp

CMMG still carries mid-length/mid-weight chrome-lined chro-moly barrels.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/zympc.qnkxo/v/vspfiles/photos/55DD30B-2T.jpg?1338990857

Noveske, Centurion, and Spike's (FN) all make barrels that have a profile similar to that CMMG barrel.

BCM also makes barrels with that profile, except with carbine gas systems:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Barrel-Stripped-SOCOM-p/bcm-brl-s-m4%20socom%2016%20std.htm

mickeyjr308
09-29-13, 18:29
Thank You All for the information.
I Will try to find a mid-weight barrel & get ready for next years matches.

Best Regards,
MickeyJr308.