PDA

View Full Version : Things You Wish You Had Known Years Ago

Doc Safari
09-26-13, 17:30
1. Buffalo Burgers taste better than burgers made from beef.

Vive le Differance. My girlfriend and I went to Tombstone Arizona for the weekend. One little cafe was selling hamburgers made from buffalo meat. I am telling you right now that was the best hamburger I've ever eaten, and I wasn't particularly hungry. The meat is simply tastier and of milder flavor than beef. I'm hoping all the beef cattle ranchers in the US will see the light on this and start raising bison. No cow burger will ever be adequate again.

2. I finally admit I think the AR is a better gun than the AK

I owned all kinds of so-called "assault rifles" in the years that Bush 41 and Clinton were president. I considered myself an AK man and considered the AR to be "not for me." Over the years, I battled poor quality control in the AK platform, not to mention the crappy parts forced on the civilian market by section 922(r). Then in 2010 I decided "everyone needs one M4." I sold one of my prized AK's to get it. A month later I was selling all my AK's to buy M4's and stuff for my M4's. The kicker: I fired my "best" AK side-by-side with my first M4. The M4 was able to hit not only clay pigeons lying in the dirt, but also PIECES of clay pigeons lying in the dirt. The AK wouldn't stay on a coffee can. Nuff said. I also decided the lack of a bolt hold-open on the AK was unacceptable.

3. I don't like pickles on hamburgers

For most of my life I've eaten burgers with dill pickles on them. Then one day I ate at a restaurant that gives you a pickle spear as a side and not on the sandwich. It dawned on me that all this time the sourness of the pickles was overwhelming the taste of the rest of the burger. Never again will I eat a burger with pickles on it.

4. I unintentionally overeat

I'm still working on this one, but I'm finding that I can eat less and not feel hungry later. Now if I could just convince some of the restaurants I eat at to lower their portion sizes.

5. Silence is Golden

I've lived most of my life having something on in the background: radio, TV, computer, CD's, or whatever. I"m finding that sometimes I'd rather drive without something blaring in my ear, and that it reallly is okay to be at home and not have the TV or radio on. Sometimes just sitting on the porch with a glass of iced tea watching the scenery is the only program worth watching.

6. I'd rather have a job I enjoy than one that pays a lot

I worked too many jobs that were stressful but paid a lot. I think I would have been happier learning a trade or something less stressful. I'm not even counting the fact that I'm a rancher now because that has its stresses, too.

I'll post more if I think of any.

fixit69
09-26-13, 17:36
1. How much of a f**ked up b@$*h my ex was. Wood have saved me a few hundred thousand dollars and a possible prison sentence courtesy her and the IRS.

2. Silence is worth more than gold.

3. The rarer the steak the better. I ate medium for years, now almost rare. Better flavor. Less cooking time, what's not to like.

4. This site:D

Ryno12
09-26-13, 17:40
I wish I would've known last week's winning Powerball numbers, two weeks ago.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
09-26-13, 17:50
1. Don't elevate pussy on a pedestal. Don't spend all your time trying to be hip, cool, fly, def or otherwise get noticed. If you just can't relate to her on equal or better terms then you aren't getting any no matter what you wear, dress or say. Just go get it, she knows why you are talking to her.

Really passed up some nice opportunities in the past because I didn't know that simple thing.

2. Make life mean something. Nobody on their deathbed evaluated their life and thought "thank god I always got the bills paid on time, wore sensible shoes and was never late for work." There is certainly nothing wrong with being responsible and dependable, unless it is at the cost of your existence and that is all you managed to do.

3. There are people you know socially and there are people who are your friends. Don't mistake one for the other, friends are those rare individuals who help you out when there isn't anything in it for them other than the fact that you are friends. It's usually a short list.

4. The richest man is the one who is most content with what he has. Nice things are really nice but if you need a million dollars to feel good about yourself and you make $40k a year, you are going to have a hard life. Realistic goals and material desires that you can actually accomplish are far more satisfying than having superior taste.

5. Nobody can damage your honor, only you can do that.

cinco
09-26-13, 18:02
I'd rather trust you, than like you.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-26-13, 21:25
1. Chicken fried steak, isn't chicken.

2. A $20 coffee press makes much better tasting coffee than any $100 coffee pot.

3. It's never a good idea to take a laxative and a sleeping pill all in the same evening.

4. Never give money or anything else for that matter to a friend or family member and expect to get it back.

5. Dry fire is real training when done properly, not just an excuse to play with my gun.

jaydoc1
09-26-13, 21:45
Older women love younger men!

Bubba FAL
09-26-13, 21:53
It is possible to get through life without a credit card.

And the corollary to that: a credit rating does not matter if you always pay cash.

thopkins22
09-26-13, 22:05
1)Life is too short to drink crappy beer or whiskey.

2)Women are crazy. There are no exceptions. Wonderful, but absolutely certifiably insane. You may find one that is great and that you get along with, but rest assured...she's bat shit crazy.

3)Don't carry the weight of your life and decisions with you. I would rather die penniless having lived my life to the fullest than spend most of it grinding away worried about senseless BS. Make decisions for you, not your friends, not your parents, not because of what's expected of you. Chances are that's what's going to make them happiest with you anyway.

4)Fish more. You'll be happier.

6)Most importantly, I finally found Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness. It encompasses damn near everything I want to live my life by.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/ff9699a0-e35d-4f97-b3f3-eab428b03250.jpg (http://s476.photobucket.com/user/thopkins22/media/ff9699a0-e35d-4f97-b3f3-eab428b03250.jpg.html)

rero360
09-26-13, 22:36
After talking with admissions at a college back home in CA, I've learned that they might not be able to even accept my application to attend for their mechanical engineering bachelors program because I already have a bachelors, music business. I wish I had known that it would have been a useless degree and would potentially hold me back in the future. Still waiting to hear back from the school after I sent them transcripts and a brief description of my military career to see if they will be able to make an exception for me, apparently its a state mandate to not let individuals to get a second degree. Looking into the feasibility of just going for a masters in ME.

Another one that I still don't know but wish I did, women, 30 years old and they still confuse the hell out of me, love 'em, but don't understand 'em.

thopkins22
09-26-13, 22:38
After talking with admissions at a college back home in CA, I've learned that they might not be able to even accept my application to attend for their mechanical engineering bachelors program because I already have a bachelors, music business. I wish I had known that it would have been a useless degree and would potentially hold me back in the future. Still waiting to hear back from the school after I sent them transcripts and a brief description of my military career to see if they will be able to make an exception for me, apparently its a state mandate to not let individuals to get a second degree. Looking into the feasibility of just going for a masters in ME.

Another one that I still don't know but wish I did, women, 30 years old and they still confuse the hell out of me, love 'em, but don't understand 'em.

So it seems that you're ready for the next thing you wish you had known years ago. 2)Don't live in California.

P2000
09-26-13, 22:43
5. Silence is Golden

^^This

Once I bought a truck that didn't have a radio. I owned it for three years, and never missed not having a radio. My friends couldn't believe it. When the music and junk radio conversation stops, it gives you time to think and breathe a little.

I will add that I wish I knew how powerful self doubt is. We create some of the biggest obstacles in our own minds. It took me decades to figure this out, and I still have trouble with it from time to time.

_Stormin_
09-26-13, 22:56
As I've been working on getting back into pistol comps, and eventually rifles as well.

1: Stay fit… It's easy to let this one slide, and I don't even mean getting fat. I mean cardiovascular endurance is GOLDEN. After years of working to get back into shape I can outrun some of the scrawniest people I know because they're done after a few hundred meters. The ability to run several miles is not outdated just because the world has become a smaller place and I own a car.

2: Tac Reload… Nothing sucks more than transitioning between stages fast, getting sights on target, and getting nothing on the second pull of the trigger. If you have the chance, feed the firearm. Building the habit makes for faster stages, but it might also just save your life some day.

3: A clean gun isn't an always an accurate one… For some reason I was raised to scrub all of the "gunk" out of a barrel before putting a firearm away. Desirable fouling only became relevant to me years later. I could have taken all the time I spend cleaning the bore to a mirror finish and spent some of it on number 1.

Just a few at the top of my mind.

AKDoug
09-27-13, 01:02
I should have taken every dollar I spent in the bar chasing tail and bought real estate. I'd be a rich man today.

rero360
09-27-13, 01:08
So it seems that you're ready for the next thing you wish you had known years ago. 2)Don't live in California.

Oh I knew that before I even moved to CA, however, my failure at number two (understanding women) led to that move.

bluejackets92fs
09-27-13, 01:18
1.) After High School life actually starts. (responsibilities, bills, stress, let downs, etc...)

2.) Once you get past 21, the years really fly by.

3.) Don't put things off "until next week", because you still won't have accomplished it until at that point next year.

4.) Enjoy every day. It took me a few friends deaths to realize this.

5.) When an opportunity comes around, jump on it. Chances are it won't come back.

Grand58742
09-27-13, 05:05
I should have taken every dollar I spent in the bar chasing tail and bought real estate. I'd be a rich man today.

Two things guaranteed to rise in cost per unit over time:

Real estate

Women

On the OP...Things I wish I had known years ago?

That Renee, Ginger and Christine would have said yes.

Don't wait to say what you need to say and want to say and even things that don't need to be said right then to your loved ones. While silence is golden, just sitting around talking about the little things in life will create the memories for the times when you can't.

Karma will eventually catch up to those that deserve it the most. Sometimes it's years but it's best to wait around and watch instead of lashing out.

duece71
09-27-13, 06:21
I wish I would have known what being married was going to be like, I would have stayed single. I should have seen what my parents went through and left well enough alone. Thanks match.com

The feeling you get in life when you are comfortable and satisfied, watch out, that is when the SHTF happens. Always prepare for the dark clouds and the rainy days.

duece71
09-27-13, 06:27

Truth has been spoken, thank you.

Iraqgunz
09-27-13, 06:51
The winning numbers to at least one of the large Powerballs.

Apricotshot
09-27-13, 07:16
1. Never date a woman with the same first name as your mother or the same lastname as your first name.

2. Alchohol is behind every negative outcome you will ever have.

3. Alchohol is behind almost every awesome story you will ever have.

4. Don't puff on your cigar too much. It heats the stick to hot and ruins the taste of the cigar.

5. I you want something bad enough, you should do whatever it takes to get it.

jwfuhrman
09-27-13, 07:35
1. That my ex-fiancee, even after having been together since high school(dated from 16 until 22, engaged a year and a half) was a cheating back stabbing slut.

2. That Gingers really are soulless evil people(after dating 4 of them you'd think I'd learn..... Yes the ex fiancée is a ginger).

3. That if you start working for a redneck gun club, you will never get them to change.

4. Don't let an injury be an excuse.

5. Did I mention that Gingers are soulless creatures?

6. Live your life for you, don't ever change yourself for someone.

Crow Hunter
09-27-13, 07:43
1. Have fun

2. Don't postpone having fun

3. Don't be afraid to fail, it happens

4. What you see that impresses you about others is usually a facade, don't waste your time trying to build a facade to impress others

5. Bought farm land when it was cheap

6. You don't really "know" something until you experience it. There is only so much you can learn from books/others experiences

7. Spend quality time with the people you love, they may be gone tomorrow

8. Don't live life as a race, you don't want to "win" by being the first to get to the end

SilverBullet432
09-27-13, 07:49
1. know what you want to major in, before you start college.

that is all for now. will ETA when i think of more.

MountainRaven
09-27-13, 08:22
1)Life is too short to drink crappy beer or whiskey.

2)Women are crazy. There are no exceptions. Wonderful, but absolutely certifiably insane. You may find one that is great and that you get along with, but rest assured...she's bat shit crazy.

3)Don't carry the weight of your life and decisions with you. I would rather die penniless having lived my life to the fullest than spend most of it grinding away worried about senseless BS. Make decisions for you, not your friends, not your parents, not because of what's expected of you. Chances are that's what's going to make them happiest with you anyway.

4)Fish more. You'll be happier.

6)Most importantly, I finally found Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness. It encompasses damn near everything I want to live my life by.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/ff9699a0-e35d-4f97-b3f3-eab428b03250.jpg

Where is 5 and who is Ron Swanson?

montanadave
09-27-13, 08:48
2. Alchohol is behind every negative outcome you will ever have.

3. Alchohol is behind almost every awesome story you will ever have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

jmoore
09-27-13, 08:54
>>Once I bought a truck that didn't have a radio. I owned it for three years, and never missed not having a radio.<<

For 13 years I drove a ragtop Jeep Wrangler - it had ZERO options! No radio, AC, cruise, hell - didn't even have floor mats! It had zipper windows, and I was the one who had to install the only "option" it ever had - a rear bumper:) Damn - wish I had that Jeep back. Was the best all around vehicle I ever owned. - john

PS - Oh, and it was RED:)

Doc Safari
09-27-13, 09:16
7. It's always something

I remember hearing an interview with a very old lady, and the interviewer asked her what was the one fundamental truth she had learned in her long life. She said, "It's always something." In other words, you never get to a point in life where you don't have to deal with some aggravation or challenge.

8. People can change, but rarely do

If a person tells you about their wild past, but swears things are different now: beware. I've met a handful of people in my life that really did forsake their wild and wicked ways, but most will turn back to them in a heartbeat if given the right motivation.

9. You can never please other people enough

One reason I got out of sales and customer service is that you never make everyone happy. As far as your boss is concerned, you're only as good as your next sale. A lifetime of achievement doesn't mean shit. As far as customers are concerned, they only remain happy until they aren't, and when they aren't they forget all that you once did for them.

10. Everybody is human

No matter how virtuous or disciplined you think someone may be, they can still get drunk and start a fight, steal, cheat on you with your best friend, forget your birthday, etc. Even the most "perfect" person can let you down on a moment's notice.

Alex V
09-27-13, 09:21
I wish I knew that I would regret not taking the opportunity to attend the USNA. I can't say I will regret it for the rest of my life, but I have regretted it ever since.

Not like my life turned out to be shit since then, but I wish I took the opportunity that was presented in '01.

Suwannee Tim
09-27-13, 09:25
1) Hot on the left.

2) Cold on the right.

3) Shit don't flow uphill.

:D

Seriously:

1) My oldest brother is a worthless sack of shit.

2) My second oldest brother is a worthless sack of shit.

3) One of my childhood best friends didn't really give a damn about me.

4) My other childhood best friend would turn out to be one of the finest men I would ever meet.

5) Above mentioned childhood best friend's father was another of the finest men I would ever meet.

6) My mother was one of the finest women I would ever meet. All that time I thought she was just Mom.

7) 96% + of lawyers have no integrity.

brickboy240
09-27-13, 10:17
Listen MORE to the guy next door with the dirty hands and his own successful plumbing company and LESS to the lawyer down the street with his fancy degree and Mercedes.

Don't worry about what other people think of you or say about you - their inaccuracy is their problem...not yours.

Your kid IS listening to EVERYTHING you say and IS watching everything you do.

Laughing and having fun is more important that having tons of nice material things.

Save money for a rainy day...because it WILL rain.

These are some...but I probably have more.

-brickboy240

Pi3
09-27-13, 11:54
Opportunity knocks, but Karma tracks you down.

thopkins22
09-27-13, 12:30
Where is 5 and who is Ron Swanson?

Five got pulled because it was starting to sound like a commencement speech, and then I forgot to renumber.

Ron Swanson is one of the best characters to ever be put on television.

The Best of Ron Swanson.

http://youtu.be/bwGat4i8pJI
http://youtu.be/B0ALxdrq4bk

sadmin
09-27-13, 12:50
1) There is a huge difference between saying your a Christian and being a Christian.

2) Perspective is everything and should always be considered.

3) Dont be afraid to settle down, get married, grow up, and have kids. (If you so desire it.) Your old buddies who are still yelling "Bros before Hos" are lonely ass mofos, they will admit it when they are drunk.

brickboy240
09-27-13, 13:06
The people that talk about God and being Christian. Those that wear crosses and have fishes and WWJD decals on their cars. Those people are usually the LEAST Christian people you will ever find. They often lie, act jealous, talk poorly of others and do many other things that are very far from any Christian teachings.

A woman that is overly jealous and suspicious of her husband playing around is usually the biggest cheater of them all.

People that are obsessed with material status items and showing the world their wealth usually grew up totally dirt poor.

-brickboy240

Doc Safari
09-27-13, 17:30
11. They ride good horses to death.

I found out at more than one job that if you work hard, apply yourself, volunteer for extra tasks, and whatnot, that you don't get a promotion, a raise, or time off. You just get more work. Unfortunately at my last job I had to learn to build "being a slacker" into my daily routine because they happily encouraged people to give up their free time for the organization.

12. Ass-kissers get promoted faster than hard workers

Unfortunately, it took my about three different jobs over about a 25-year period to finally realize that if you can pucker up them lips and apply generous amounts of pressure to the boss's keester then you go further and are forgiven more than the hardest worker in the place. Trouble is I can't be an ass-kisser.

13. It really is easier to get forgiven than get permission

Nuff Said. Works in almost any area of life, within reason of course.

14. You are happier if you lower your standards

This works especially with women. I can't tell the number of times I turned out to be miserable with the hot chick. One day I found out that the woman you don't expect much from can pleasantly surprise you. Even better, if she likes you more than you like her, then your anxiety level drops considerably.

15. Where you start is where you finish

Most of the time, what you negotiate for your pay on a job is what you're stuck with, small incremental raises notwithstanding. I've never been in a position to start at, say, $10.00 an hour and do such a good job that I was able to increase that by leaps and bounds. Never ask for the minimum you can get by with; always ask for enough that you can tolerate the aggravation the job is going to give you and still live on what they pay you if you still work there in 10 years. (Of course this doesn't apply if you're desperate just to find any job).

bluejackets92fs
09-27-13, 17:48
Never make your self irreplaceable at a job. That is how you get stuck.

The one who works the hardest usually gets beat the most.

Don't be afraid to admit you're wrong.

Scoby
09-27-13, 18:10
Nookie is expensive and overrated.

A wonderful thing mind you but, overated.
Never wore one out either. They ought to make tires out of that shit.

jpmuscle
09-27-13, 19:18
Honor and integrity are everything.. if you've smashed it with a hammer because you did something undeniably stupid it will gnaw at your soul forever...

Don't be afraid to love someone.. if they say they love you back and mean it don't fvck it up.

People suck, humanity sucks, but always live by the golden rule anyway, always...

Material things are overrated. It doesn't matter if its cars, houses, even firearms (to a point) none of that stuff matters when it comes right down to it. Living a life of value, of purpose, to live a life for something that is worth dying for, whatever it may be, is what really matters. I think anyway..

Scoby
09-27-13, 19:37
always live by the golden rule anyway, always...

Spot on!

Suwannee Tim
09-27-13, 19:47
Never put yourself in a situation where you can mistake the Ben Gay for Preparation H.

platoonDaddy
09-27-13, 19:56
Wife would end up with a love canal filled with concrete! Bitch getting old.

OUT

montanadave
09-27-13, 22:15
Wife would end up with a love canal filled with concrete! Bitch getting old.

OUT

Gadzooks! :eek:

Armati
09-27-13, 23:07
http://nomarriage.eurorequirement.com/No%20Marriage.pdf

Grand58742
09-28-13, 03:01
Never put yourself in a situation where you can mistake the Ben Gay for Preparation H.

Concurrently, never store your Preparation H next to your toothpaste.

montanadave
09-28-13, 06:10
Concurrently, never store your Preparation H next to your toothpaste.

On the plus side, if ya got bleeding gums it probably can't hurt. :D

wild_wild_wes
09-28-13, 09:29
Mangos.

austinN4
09-28-13, 10:43
Getting into this thread late and have'nt read all the posts so this may have already been said:

I wish I had know I was going to live as long as I have. I would have taken better care of myself.

chuckman
09-28-13, 11:32
When your parents say life goes by in the blink of an eye, it does.

Kokopelli
09-28-13, 13:30
Ain't no pockets on a shroud...

AKDoug
09-29-13, 01:56
http://nomarriage.eurorequirement.com/No%20Marriage.pdf I was going to comment on how stupid that link was... until I found out why I am totally happy with my wife and our life after 20 years..... chapter 1, section 2 and 3. He must have been meeting the right women overseas, because the foreign wives of guys I know are the biggest bitches I've ever met...

Magic_Salad0892
09-29-13, 02:17
Never ever sacrifice personal values for personal gain.

Astroglide sucks.

Peshawar
09-29-13, 02:38
Poon tang's expensive!

09-29-13, 08:43
Don't stick your dick in crazy. Made this mistake in college several times before I met my wife.

Avenger29
09-29-13, 18:30
I wish I had known that it would have been OK not to go to college to get a 4 year degree...the guidance counselors and teachers were full of shit when they said you had to get a 4 year degree to be successful...instead for people like me, a trade school is the best path to take. You can make mongo amounts of money if you've got the right skills in a trade (a hell of a lot more money than a liberal arts degree is going to net you). I wish I had discovered welding when I was back in high school.

FlyingHunter
09-29-13, 19:14
Nookie is expensive and overrated.

A wonderful thing mind you but, overated.
Never wore one out either. They ought to make tires out of that shit.

Tires...thanks - that was a laugh out loud moment

Javelin
09-29-13, 20:09
I edited - it's probably better no one knows the truths. Life is sometimes better and more blissful without knowledge.

jpmuscle
09-29-13, 20:28
Well now, that just ruined me evening. I'm going to go to bed clinging my AR and bible now.

fixit69
09-29-13, 21:08
I edited - it's probably better no one knows the truths. Life is sometimes better and more blissful without knowledge.

Holy crap...

Be there truth spoken? How dare you!

;)

SteyrAUG
09-30-13, 02:16
Astroglide sucks.

Because...?

C4IGrant
09-30-13, 07:15
I love these threads. It is funny what people do not know and what I didn't!

At age 7, while at the family dinner table, I was rambling on about something and my Father interrupted me. "Son, don't talk to talk. Think about what you are saying and ask yourself if it is of important to others. If not, keep quiet." This sticks with me today and is something I am passing down to my boys.

Being right isn't always a good thing. Whether in marriage or on a gun forum. If you believe you are right, you are going to rub it in the nose of the other person (commonly). "I told you so." type thing. This rarely makes you any friends. If you are in fact right on the subject, state your opinion and drive on. The person(s) will eventually figure it out. THEN you will get an idea of that persons integrity (as they will come to you and admit that they were wrong). If you have spouse that does this, you have a winner!

You will get much farther in life by establishing GOOD relationships with people. For every overpaying job I got as a Govt contractor or gun account that I shouldn't have had it was due to a relationship that was established somewhere many years ago.

The last one is a gem and wish someone would have told me this in the 90's when I first started hanging out on gun forums. To quote the owner of Soldier Systems; "The internet DEHUMANIZES." I have had days long arguments with people online and then when we meet, that person is quiet as a church mouse. No confrontations, no loud voices, NOTHING. For whatever reason, people will say the most amazing things from the safety of their keyboard. Doesn't matter who the end person is (SEAL, Delta operator, etc). They will say all kinds of things that in the real world would have gotten them a punch in the mouth (or worse)! Arguing with people online is simply a huge waste of your time. They are most likely a 20 something white male that still lives at home (in their parent basement). They have never served their Country and most likely spend their day playing video games and working minimum wage jobs. Ignore them and do not fall into the trap of having it out with them for everyone to see.

C4

Eurodriver
09-30-13, 08:38
I wish I knew that I would get the same benefits from joining the Air force as joining the Marine Corps.

Less work. Better living conditions. Less stress. Same GI bill, VA healthcare, etc.

All I've got to show for all my hard work in the Corps is this stupid EGA tattoo and a bunch of skanky ex girlfriends....a whole bunch. :o

I have had days long arguments with people online and then when we meet, that person is quiet as a church mouse. No confrontations, no loud voices, NOTHING.

C4

This - all day long. It seems the shyer/quieter a person is in real life the more obnoxious they are online.

Doc Safari
09-30-13, 09:30
I have found that the secret to getting what you want in negotiation, love, or whatever, is to be the least interested party, or to at a minimum convince the other person you are the least interested party. Now, this only works if in fact the other person IS interested.

I've also found that the secret to diplomacy is to "say 'yes' so it sounds like 'no', and to say 'no' so it sounds like 'yes'."

BWT
09-30-13, 10:00
I'm glad I know Christ.

Other then that, I wish I had gone after my CCNA after finishing the classes in college.

But, I'm going after it this Fall/Spring.

I will say this, a lot of people get Christianity wrong (myself included) that being said. To the guys that have had horrible marriages and divorced.

If you're attracted to a attractive woman who is easy and is into pre- marital sex, who has a wild streak, who you have to buy things to keep happy, doesn't have serious values. What makes you think that'll all change when you're married.

Just saying.

ETA: A good saying also is, "The grass is always greener on the other side. But you don't know it because you don't mow it."

I found peace and joy in Salvation, that as a Christian, I simply didn't know for the first 15-20 years of being a Christian.

Learn to be content, goals are great, but living for the next thing/day can eat you alive.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-30-13, 13:27
That it is inappropriate to leave Santa cookies and a beer on Christmas Eve. Not only is your wagon going to assembled wrong, people will just silently nod their heads in a moment of understanding when you go away for college and you mention it in passing.

It happened to me, my sister and a brother who all mentioned that we leave Santa cookies and beer when we were first away for college. Never crossed our minds that giving Santa a beer was odd.

That said, I'm keeping the tradition alive with my kids...

Waylander
09-30-13, 16:03
1) Age is overrated. If I was 18 again I would enjoy those next 18 years more. But I do like my toys I couldn't afford at that age.

2) Forgive yourself. It doesn't matter what other people think of your mistakes.

C4IGrant
09-30-13, 16:10
I wish I knew that I would get the same benefits from joining the Air force as joining the Marine Corps.

Less work. Better living conditions. Less stress. Same GI bill, VA healthcare, etc.

All I've got to show for all my hard work in the Corps is this stupid EGA tattoo and a bunch of skanky ex girlfriends....a whole bunch. :o

Interesting that you say that. I was an E-5 in the NAV and then worked for the NAV as a contractor and they assigned me rank of Lt. CMDR. This was done purely so sone Ensign could tell you what to do. :rolleyes: It was interesting to basically come back as an officer and eat and live with them onboard.

Then I went to work for the USAF at Langley. HOLY CHIT did the enlisted I worked with have it good. No 14hr days in hurricanes, eating crappy NAV food, all the standard BS and having to live on a filthy ship.

If my kids want to join the Military, it will be with the Zoomies! :D

C4

Waylander
09-30-13, 16:19
Make damned sure you don't let your family or in-laws interfere in your marriage.

SeriousStudent
09-30-13, 20:18
A good woman is a gift from God, and worth all the effort and work it takes to keep her happy.

Few things in life will make you happier and prouder, than have your child call you when they are in their 20's. Not to ask for money, but to say "Dad, I wanted to pick your brain about something, if you have a minute..." Not asking you to get them out of a jam, but genuinely wanting your advice. And then acting on it.

I am an extraordinarily lucky man, with wonderful children.

wild_wild_wes
09-30-13, 21:18
Then I went to work for the USAF at Langley. HOLY CHIT did the enlisted I worked with have it good. No 14hr days in hurricanes, eating crappy NAV food, all the standard BS and having to live on a filthy ship.

If my kids want to join the Military, it will be with the Zoomies! :D

C4

My tech school was on an Air Force base. In the mess hall they would cook your burger to order :blink:

BoringGuy45
10-02-13, 00:18
Things I wish I knew before I got to this stage in my life:

1. Always assume the worst and treat people as though they can't be trusted until they prove otherwise. Even then, approach with caution if you don't know them well.

2. The easier a job is to get, the harder it is going to be to keep it. Related: Unless it's a large organization that is going to naturally lose people retirement almost continuously, beware of any place that pays well and is "always hiring." Chances are they are impossible to work for.

Hootiewho
10-02-13, 07:29
This one has been a big one for me to learn. I always seemed to end up with "friends" who constantly want you to do stuff for them, some to the point of being very obnoxious, all the while very rarely helping me out in return or returning the favor.

Learn to say NO and don't be affraid to lose a "friend" from sticking to your guns. Try to learn to recognize these type people and avoid them. My father in law is very much like this. He has 2 groups of "friends", those whom he uses, and those whom he kisses up to. If someone from the group he kisses up to wants him to do something, he'll go out of his way to put the task off on someone from the group he uses. The only way I have ever seen him "do something" for someone personally is if he can use the act as leverage over someone to put them in his pocket, he can use the act to brag about and make himself look good, or if someone from the group he kisses up to has shamed him for not doing an action. Just a screwed up individual no matter how you look at it.

Avoid these people like the plague. I wished I could have seen through people like this' BS a long time ago.