PDA

View Full Version : New handguard has me seriously reconsidering my current build.

Knyghtmare
09-27-13, 16:45
I have almost all of the parts together for my newest build except for the barrel and muzzle device. So, I already have an MI Gen 2 T-Series rail for a "recce" style build.

But, MI went and announced that they will be releasing the SSK series keymod handguard. Now I never really got on board with the keymod band wagon, but there is just something about this handguard that really has me reconsidering that decision.

What do you guys think? I guess something that is making the decision a little more difficult is that I already have the Gen 2 T-series, and how much do I really need a keymod system? The weight though is also very appealing.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/Midwest_Ind/MI-SSK/P9242407_zpsfdb02adb.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/Midwest_Ind/MI-SSK/P9242408_zpsbacb237a.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/Midwest_Ind/MI-SSK/P9242413_zpsfba3bee5.jpg

ky2970
09-27-13, 16:53
Looks like they could give the NSR some serious competition.

silviacrazed
09-27-13, 16:58
Looks good. Interesting how the tabs lock into the barrel nut.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Hmac
09-27-13, 17:03
I don't think there's anything magic about the keymod system. Having an NSR, I would consider it neither a plus nor a minus in selecting a rail system. I do think that Noveske missed the boat by not building in a rotation-limited QD socket.

|

jerrysimons
09-27-13, 17:07
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=139324
Looks quite nice! 8.5oz with barrel nut, it is lighter than the 11" NSR at 9.8oz.

It uses the same barrel nut as some of their other free float rails.

Keymod is the wave of the future. If you like the looks of it, go for it!

If you want to get your build rolling you can just use your current rail/barrel nut and when this one comes out, just swap out the rails.

Tier One Arms
09-27-13, 17:30
KeyMod is awesome and I run Keymod rails on all my AR's now. The nice thing about the Noveske NSR is how low profile it is compared to the other KeyMod rails on the market.

Iraqgunz
09-27-13, 19:27
I think you could keep searching for the Ark because you never know what's coming next. Two weeks now Geissele could release a 175.00 Economod rail and then what will you do?

CaptainN8
09-27-13, 20:01
I think you could keep searching for the Ark because you never know what's coming next. Two weeks now Geissele could release a 175.00 Economod rail and then what will you do?

Wait, are they? :lol::lol::sarcastic:

supplex
09-27-13, 20:23
keymod makes alot of sense. I use fortis rails and the NSR. I wish accessories were more readily available, like light mounts and such. A tape switch panel, similar to the tangodown cover would be nice.

I like the integrated QD swivel on the MI rail, which is one of the things that drew me to the fortis

LewP
09-27-13, 23:17
What capability does a keymod rail give you that you can't get with one of the existing modular rail systems? Is a few ounces of weight savings really going to improve the effectiveness of the rifle? I understand lighter is better, the question is how much better?

HeliPilot
09-28-13, 00:08
There's always going to be a latest and greatest, hints why the madness never seems to end.

I personally prefer the look of the Geissele and Centurion CMR rails over the keymod. I worked in too many warehouses before the military to continue to enjoy looking at that pattern. YMMV

Stickman
09-28-13, 00:18
I think you could keep searching for the Ark because you never know what's coming next.

I know of something coming out very soon....

MistWolf
09-28-13, 00:27

I'm waiting for the ALG handguards- they'll cost even less:ph34r:

MistWolf
09-28-13, 00:31
What capability does a keymod rail give you that you can't get with one of the existing modular rail systems?

It's not what the keymod gives you, it what it doesn't give you- miles of rail estate you'll have to pay for and never use

Is a few ounces of weight savings really going to improve the effectiveness of the rifle? I understand lighter is better, the question is how much better?

Yes, and a smaller diameter that's more comfortable for the human hand. All they gotta do now is make it out of carbon fiber or kevlar, then I'll be up for one

black22rifle
09-28-13, 00:35

The bcm keymod? If not spill the beans.

Iraqgunz
09-28-13, 02:22
And that's my point. You never know what's coming next. Good part about the M16 family of weapons is the modularity of it.

Hmac
09-28-13, 06:16
Jason Trusty has a very cool-looking hand guard system coming out. Non-keymod. I love Gear Sector stuff...it's top notch and they're a class act.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=139198&highlight=Gear+sector

MarkG
09-28-13, 06:54

More shit for the hipsters to play dress up with...

TAZ
09-28-13, 08:52
AR furniture is like electronics. The minute you hit the add to cart button it's out of date. You'll never buy anything if you want wait for the latest and greatest. If the system you have now works for you stick with it. Functionality needs to be the primary consideration. The rest are would be nice things.

BrigandTwoFour
09-28-13, 09:28
Run what you've already got until you find it limits you in some way. Otherwise you're always going to be chasing the latest and greatest.

jc000
09-28-13, 09:53
Run what you've already got until you find it limits you in some way. Otherwise you're always going to be chasing the latest and greatest.

Yeah, I remember a quote I read once which I always thought applicable to bikes/electronics/other gear: run what you got until you're hopelessly behind the current technology--then upgrade.

Hmac
09-28-13, 09:55
AR furniture is like electronics. The minute you hit the add to cart button it's out of date. You'll never buy anything if you want wait for the latest and greatest. If the system you have now works for you stick with it. Functionality needs to be the primary consideration. The rest are would be nice things.

I think this new crop of tube rails add significant functionality to me, given my hand size, grip, stance, and minimal accessory needs. As far as I can tell, keymod adds nothing to solve any of my problems, and the lack of a built in QD socket on my NSR actually detracts in my use.

For me, it's a vast improvement over the quad rail I had before (DD Lite). The NSR is otherwise a good rail system for me in use. If I was doing it again, I might be waiting to see what Gear Sector gas got going.

justin_247
09-28-13, 14:08
I love how everybody is buying all of these KeyMod rail systems despite the fact there are hardly any accessories available for it. Even worse, many of the accessories, such as rail covers, are usually proprietary and usable only on rails made by the same manufacturer (as an example, see Noveske's and KAC's offerings).

Don't get me wrong, they're really nice kit. But seriously?

Korgs130
09-28-13, 14:39
I love how everybody is buying all of these KeyMod rail systems despite the fact there are hardly any accessories available for it. Even worse, many of the accessories, such as rail covers, are usually proprietary and usable only on rails made by the same manufacturer (as an example, see Noveske's and KAC's offerings).

I understand what you're saying about the panels, but Noveske KM rail sections, QD sockets and light mounts work on all KM hand guards as do the IWC light mounts.

jerrysimons
09-28-13, 16:25

It was more of a gamble when the NSR first came out but now this argument doesn't really hold water.
There are many accessories out for Keymod that work with all Keymod rails. IWC light mounts, handstop, QD socket. Noveske rail sections, flashlight mounts, QD socket, barricade support. KAC just came out with a barricade support, and is coming out with 45* offset micro sights and other accessories. BCM is coming out with accessories as well, including aluminum and nylon rail sections, and single file plastic rail panels that look like they would work with any Keymod rail. Primary Weapon Systems just came out with a bipod mount. Mega makes rail sections too.
As big names like Noveske, BCM, KAC, Mega, Vltor, Midwest Industries and Geissele lead the way, more accessories will come out, especially as mid level manufactures start adopting it and popularizing it with the average AR owner.
Really the only thing that are not necessarily interchangeable are the plastic rail panels unique to each rail design. In that respect keymod is not any different from other modular rails. Benefits of Keymod are the same as another modular rails but also allows you to direct attach standardized accessories while maintaining ridiculously light weights and, if wanted, slim profiles.

Going forward I would like to see direct attach vertical grips like the tango down and magpul RVG, and more bipod options. It is only a matter of time.

SteveL
09-28-13, 16:36
I think this new crop of tube rails add significant functionality to me, given my hand size, grip, stance, and minimal accessory needs. As far as I can tell, keymod adds nothing to solve any of my problems, and the lack of a built in QD socket on my NSR actually detracts in my use.

For me, it's a vast improvement over the quad rail I had before (DD Lite). The NSR is otherwise a good rail system for me in use. If I was doing it again, I might be waiting to see what Gear Sector gas got going.

With hindsight being 20/20, I also wish my NSR had an integrated QD swivel. Oh well. Live and learn. I have the Noveske Keymod QD swivel mount on it and it does the job. It's even rotation limited which I've found out through recent experience is a good thing. Granted it's not quite as elegant as a built-in socket, or as people had hoped it would be, but it serves its purpose and hasn't failed me yet.

The upcoming Gear Sector rail does indeed look appealing. I'll be keeping my eye on it and it may well find its way onto some rifle I build in the future.

jaxman7
09-28-13, 17:07

So very true. Now I am knocking any new and future products but people can get into the 'runway fashion' syndrome. In other words the latest and greatest comes out and I MUST HAVE IT. Don't fall into this trap.

Not saying don't ever buy new gear but don't think just b/c its new my stuff is now crap.

I like my NSR. Its thin and light and the key mod attachments keep accessories closer to the centerline of the rifle. I also have a Centurion C4 that I love. Both are great. The NSR does not make me a better shooter than the rifle with the old style Centurion rail.

-Jax

Hmac
09-28-13, 17:26

Sometimes you don't realize you're being limited, or how much, until someone brings something newer and better to the table. I didn't realize that my DD Lite quad rail was limiting me on that particular SBR until I got a skinny tubular rail.

Knyghtmare
09-28-13, 18:18
Thank guys for the input. I am not usually one to jump on the latest and greatest bandwagon, generally I know what I like and I know what will fill my needs. I will admit though that when I first saw this handguard it did give me a chubby and I know that's not a reason alone to make such a purchase, so I appreciate the humbling I got from some of you.

I should have stated this in the OP, but once the decision is made on which system I go with, that will be it, at least for the major components, as I am going to have this build cerakoted. That's why I have been racking my brain with this... you know "buy once, cry once..."

jerrysimons
09-28-13, 18:26
Thank guys for the input. I am not usually one to jump on the latest and greatest bandwagon, generally I know what I like and I know what will fill my needs. I will admit though that when I first saw this handguard it did give me a chubby and I know that's not a reason alone to make such a purchase, so I appreciate the humbling I got from some of you.

I should have stated this in the OP, but once the decision is made on which system I go with, that will be it, at least for the major components, as I am going to have this build cerakoted. That's why I have been racking my brain with this... you know "buy once, cry once..."

If you can afford it, buy what you like! Even if it is only for looks who care? As long as it does not detract from functionality, go for it (I think Keymod adds functionality). Especially if you are going to semi-perm the build. Sell off your old rail and the price differance won't be too much anyway.

Redbeardsong
09-28-13, 20:55
I worked in too many warehouses before the military to continue to enjoy looking at that pattern. YMMV

I see what you did there.
:laugh:
http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/large_wco/442806_2wco.gif

That is a good looking rail. I like the beveled contours around the edges, but I don't care much for the looks of MI's clamp or exposed barrel nut design.

TehLlama
09-28-13, 22:41

Uhh... if they release an AR-10 flavor of that, I'd have to tell myself to stop licking the monitor.

But yeah, the really nice keymod rails are going to keep coming out, I'm actually a bit impressed that MI beat TROY out of the gate with something in this range though.

lethal dose
09-29-13, 06:04
No anti rotation tabs?

sua175
09-29-13, 10:04
It would seem that ar15 rails have turned into a "keeping up with the jones" sorta thing. I think a lot of people choose their rail based off of fad and looks. Just select your rail based off your needs, mission drives the equipment. If you buy a quality rail, then there shouldn't be a real need to update it when other greatest and latest comes out.

I own 3 ar15 rifles and one 300blk upper. I plan on getting no more. When I built my 14.5in gun for my needs the URX3.1 was the best rail on the market. I really like the new geissele MKIV rail but I'm not going to switch out my URX because it is doing its job perfectly. Plus that money can go towards other things I need or want.

I think that sometimes when I see a dudes who's personal rifle is all operator as **** (optic, light, peq, forward grip, dual pressure switch) with a slick rail with bolt on rail panels or a key mod system that would be better served with a quad rail. I also think that it is silly for guys who run a slick gun to have a quad rail as all your doing is adding weight and profile. I hope you guys kinda get what I'm saying.

With all that said, I have everything and the kitchen sink mounted to my rifles, so most of my uppers have a quad rail system.