PDA

View Full Version : What grease for handguns?

jhs1969
04-26-08, 17:05
Many of you may have already seen my post in the AR section on lubes. I've settled on Mobil 1 for my rifles. I always prefered grease on the guides/rails, barrel/hood etc. on my handguns. I used Wilson's grease for many years, it worked. I switched to Pro-Gold grease for a short time as it has copper anti-seize added to it. I just switched to Militec-1 grease on my HK, my M&P9 still has Pro-Gold. I've been thinking of trying Mobil's synthetic grease next.

What grease do you use? How long have you used it? How do you feel about it's performance?

Just looking for something better.

El Cid
04-26-08, 19:31
Used to use G96. Currently using 10-8 performance lube as it sticks around longer. No complaints with the performance of either.

Parabellum9x19mm
04-26-08, 20:38
TW25-B

Gutshot John
04-26-08, 20:53
I'm partial to Tetra Gun Grease.

CHoffman
04-26-08, 22:18
I use Brian Enos' Slide Glide. Works pretty good for me.

Wayne Dobbs
04-27-08, 12:49
I've used TW25B (AKA "Elephant Sperm") with good results and have a very experienced and well informed Sig pistolsmith and top notch competitor friend who highly recommends the Enos Slide Glide on his build guns.

ToddG
04-27-08, 13:19
I use grease (TW25-B previously, Militec presently) only on the action. For the parts of the gun affected by cycling of the slide (slide/frame rails, barrel, locking block, etc.) I prefer oil. It doesn't tend to capture crud as much. When I've used grease for that application in the past, it's trapped so much debris that it becomes more of a lapping compound than a lubricant. Oil just seems to work longer.

I've had many guns go 2,000+ rounds between applications of Militec-1 (oil, not grease).

Of course, if you're operating in an environment too cold for oil, then a grease is better than a non-functioning weapon. :cool:

Abraxas
04-27-08, 13:53
At one time since I used grease on my rifle I thought, this stuff is great I will put it on my pistol. Then I was told by two different gunsmiths and a dealer that seems to know what he is talking about that while it is great on rifles it is bad for pistols. The reason being that on pistols it will collect crud and act as a lapping compound. So I stopped using grease on my pistols. My AR's like it though:D

Jerm
04-27-08, 17:40
hmmm....

i had been told to use the grease(just ordered some TW25B) on my pistol slides,but keep it off of the AR.

:confused:

not a good idea?

i have been using WS on everything(various CLP on my pistols in the past).

Lumpy196
04-27-08, 17:50
Of course, if you're operating in an environment too cold for oil, then a grease is better than a non-functioning weapon. :cool:

Or in heat that leaches oil right out of a pistol ;)

jmart
04-27-08, 18:52
hmmm....

i had been told to use the grease(just ordered some TW25B) on my pistol slides,but keep it off of the AR.

:confused:

not a good idea?

i have been using WS on everything(various CLP on my pistols in the past).

Never heard that. Many use this grease on AR's and recommend it highly. Use it to lube the bolt, the carrier, and the FCG sear.

One rule I've heard is use an oil on pins or on things that rotate, use a grease on things that shear. Or just use a good CLP on everything.

mark5pt56
04-27-08, 18:58
I use the Miltec, Tetra or Shooters Choice. Right now, I have a bunch of the Miltec. The grease is great for carry guns, stays on, less lint. Never had an issue with any brand while shooting with just grease. I usually use both.

Jerm
04-27-08, 20:30
Never heard that. Many use this grease on AR's and recommend it highly. Use it to lube the bolt, the carrier, and the FCG sear.

One rule I've heard is use an oil on pins or on things that rotate, use a grease on things that shear. Or just use a good CLP on everything.

makes sense.

i dont recall what the reasoning was on the advice mentioned...the grease will "gunk up" in the AR and the oil "doesnt last" in the pistol IIRC.

ive never used grease on anything in the past,just whatever CLP was handy.im trying to experiment with all of the highly recommended stuff now(grease and CLP).

...really like the WS.

JLM
04-28-08, 03:04
I use grease (TW25-B previously, Militec presently) only on the action. For the parts of the gun affected by cycling of the slide (slide/frame rails, barrel, locking block, etc.) I prefer oil. It doesn't tend to capture crud as much. When I've used grease for that application in the past, it's trapped so much debris that it becomes more of a lapping compound than a lubricant. Oil just seems to work longer.

I've had many guns go 2,000+ rounds between applications of Militec-1 (oil, not grease).

I detailed stripped a friends recent production 226 and lo and behold on all the FCG parts I found grease on everything. Whatever it was it was some cruddy looking yellow gunk :p Some
areas seemed to have attracted fouling as well.

Is that the cancer causing agent itself? :cool:

I actually use TW-25B on slides, albeit sparingly. It seems to be good shit. Just a LITTLE thou seems to go a long way. I think it was Hilton or someone that recommended 'painting' it on with a little brush.

S-1
04-28-08, 03:32
I use a small amount of Tetra grease on the slide and frame rails of my P226 and P225.

Rinspeed
04-30-08, 09:03
I use Brian Enos' Slide Glide and it seems to work just fine.

toddackerman
05-01-08, 07:28
Mad Dog Labs XF-7.

Used it for 3 years on the AR and 1911's with no issues. It stays put, doesn't burn off, and is impervious to the elements.

Erich
05-03-08, 18:11
Another TW-25b guy here. They all seem to work pretty well if applied properly, though.

STS
05-03-08, 18:45
Another vote for Mad Dog Labs XF-7. I've been using it for years. Sometimes I'll stray away, but I always end up coming back. Nothing seems to last longer on a 1911 during high round counts (500+) than this stuff. I ran it for years on just about the tightest 1911 made, a Baer TRS, and it ran great. Never got sluggish or fouled up. The best set up I've found is a thing coating of the XF-7 with some 10-8 or Larue machine gunner lube over it. At least for me with 1911's, they just keep running and never dry out or get sluggish.

I do like TW-25 for carry, especially in the summer. It is very easy to apply, you only need a small amount, it doesn't leak out and get on your clothes, and it smells great!

GLOCKMASTER
05-03-08, 19:04
I used to use Slick 50 ball bearing grease on my pistols. Now I use TW25B.

My rifles get SLIP 2000 EWL.

rhino
05-03-08, 19:31
I've been using (and advocating) TW25B grease since about 1996 for any applications where grease is appropriate (as opposed to a liquid lube). The best part about it is that you can use it and not worry about temperature extremes as it is unaffected by any temps a human can tolerate. The same is not true for a lot of other products like Slide Glide, where you need to use a different version based on the temperature (and doesn't work as well anyway).