PDA

View Full Version : AK74 a rational purchase right now?

SpookyPistolero
09-28-13, 10:24
I'm about to take a beast of an exam that I've been studying for for six months, and I'd like to get a treat for myself. I've been thinking about a 5.45 AK for quite some time (probably Waffen Works or Arsenal), something cheaper to feed than my ARs.

My hesitance is only whether this is a wise purchase during such a tumultuous political setting? With the silliness of the arms treaty signing and ability to prevent import of the cheap 5.45, not to mention the lack of domestic 5.45, I'm extremely concerned that I'll drop a grand on this rig only to find I literally cannot feed it within a year.

Is this a valid concern at this time? Is 7.62x39 a wiser choice? Or avoid the foreign calibers all together and save my green....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wake27
09-28-13, 10:36
Have you read the UN ban? I haven't, but from my understanding it won't do anything to limit the import of foreign ammo. If what I've heard is correct, that is nothing more than a common misconception. There's a thread on here that you should take a look at if nothing else.

amadeus76
09-28-13, 19:22
I wouldn't be too concerned about the UN treaty... A bigger concern and a more likely scenario in my opinion is an executive order banning the import of ammo.

I'm a huge fan of the '74 and the 5.45 round, but I traded off my '74 because I just don't see the longevity of the round long term.

amadeus76
09-28-13, 19:25
7.62x39 is a better choice... There are several domestic ammo manufacturers producing the round.

Shawvez
09-28-13, 21:24
I've heard that the UN treaty banning foreign ammo is an internet legend. The UN hasn't done anything since the "league of nations" days except piss away money. I would worry more about Feinstein and Barack Hussein fear mongering about weapons of war. I doubt 5.45 will be any more limited than any other ammo.

ramairthree
09-29-13, 00:36
7.62x39 was a bargain,
and 5.45 an even bigger bargain for ages.

Both locally and on line, I am seeing both at the 30c/round OTD/delivered range.

Compared to brass cased, boxer primed, reloadable 5.56/.223 at 42c/round.

Up until the past few years, both were obviously cheaper.

For me the draw of an AK, or AK mag SKS, what that they cost 1/3 or what an AR did and the ammo was less than half the price. Well, yeah, they are just plain cool- but dollar for dollar nowadays I would go for the AR.

I get some serious sticker shock when I see AK prices these days, it is the same as some AR offerings/builds. And the ammo is no longer the same bargain.

Now, it may not apply to you, but
for someone with one or two ARs, less than 100 mags, less than 5K rounds, and that is not reloading,
instead of an AK I would recommend for the 1K your are considering dropping:

I would get 1000 rounds of 5.56, $440 delivered right now (psa)
a Lee Pro 1000 set up for 5.56, 200$ delivered right now (ebay)
ten more mags 110$ delivered right now (multiple)
and 250$ worth of AR parts- there are some great deals going on (psa and others)

then tell everyone what powder, primers, etc. you want for Christmas

Now, if you already have over half a dozen ARs fully equipped, a nice reloading set up with 10K primers plus bullets, and 24 pounds of powder and a pallet of 5.56 and 200 Pmags-

then hell yeah, add a new platform and a new caliber.
I would go 7.62,
the bullet, brass, etc. options would be there if the imports get lean, which would not be the case with 5.45.

zacbol
09-29-13, 01:14
If you're looking for something that's cheaper than 5.56, have you considered getting and M&P15-22? It was tough to get .22LR for awhile (and along with all ammo ridiculously priced) but it seems to be more available now and priced relatively reasonably.

I have an SGL21 I bought a couple years ago but have shot it like 1-2X and have been toying with the idea of selling it since it just sits in the safe. It doesn't really do anything an AR doesn't and if I want to shoot something cheaply (or am trying to save ammo) I go with the M&P15-22.

Boss Hogg
09-29-13, 08:08
I wouldn't if you don't have a large supply of 7N6 surplus ammo already. Prices on 5.45 have gotten stupid.....as has availability of 22LR.

Campbell
09-29-13, 08:53
Wideners has 7n6 for 175.00 a tin, so it has come down some. Still a good deal to me, maybe not so much if you need rifle, kit, ammo....

Walleye
09-29-13, 11:07
Hard part about 74s right now are mags. They range from $30-40 for surplus and whatever you might save with the relatively cheaper ammo will be burnt up on getting good working magazines.

I got my 74 just weeks before the panic began so I lucked out in getting ammo and accessories. Most places now want $400-440 for a crate of 5.45 surplus and while that's cheaper than 5.56 brass or even steel case, it's not quite the deal as it used to be. Plus you have the whole corrosive ammo song and dance which depending on where you live can range from 'not a problem' to 'my rifle is rusting 5 minutes after leaving the range'.

Lastly, as with so much else firearm related right now, quality control has slipped all over the place. I have a Waffen Werks 74 but if you search the net you'll find a lot of small simple problems people have with them now. This is true regardless of manufacturer as everyone is still rushing to fill orders.

Unless you really want one, you'd be better off using the money to get munitions for your existing firearms.

Dan_93SER
09-29-13, 11:39
Considering current AK prices, it doesn't make as much sense as it used to, but with that said, during the last panic I was able to buy as much 5.45 as I wanted. No, it wasn't at $139 a tin, but even at $175 per that's still a bargain in my book.

A 5.45 AR upper is also an option. The mags to run one are certainly cheaper than surplus 5.45 AK mags.

SpookyPistolero
09-29-13, 11:58
Thanks very much for the good counsel, I suppose I'll just stick to ARs for now. Doesn't sound like I could shoot enough to save money. I may just spend the cash getting a good tube handguard for my 6720, then a couple K of ammo.

Ark1443
09-29-13, 15:16
Thanks very much for the good counsel, I suppose I'll just stick to ARs for now. Doesn't sound like I could shoot enough to save money. I may just spend the cash getting a good tube handguard for my 6720, then a couple K of ammo.

I picked up a 6720 last December. Thing is barely over 6 lbs unloaded, I think you'll like it!

I too was thinking of a 5.45 ak at the time, but I only had one AR. I go with the idea of two is one, one is none.

As others have mentioned, you could also consider another caliber AR after you have a 5.56 or two as well.

Arik
10-04-13, 08:14
I wouldnt worry too much about it. Right now Aim, SGAmmo,Wideners have 5.45 at about $175/1080 rounds. Its not too hard to stock up on. $400 get you 2160 rounds. Not the deal it once was but still not bad. Hornady does/did make a SD 5.45 (I cant find any at the moment)

Polish steel 5.45 Tantal mags $15ea
http://www.copesdistributing.com/polish-tantal-545x39-steel-30rd-used-p-3219.html

And prices on AKs are dropping. I just picked up an unfired RobArm Vepr 5.45. The AK config not the sporter config for $800. They were over $1000 new. And a Bulgy skeleton stock side folder for $900 (over paid a bit on that one but it was my fault).

I dont see the 5.45 going away any time soon.

BTL BRN
10-04-13, 12:55
I am down to one 74 personally, but plenty of ammo to go with it; I am not too worried about supply either. For awhile the nice Bulgarian polymer mags were in short supply (or more like high price), and I would say at this point that is still more of an issue than the ammo itself.

Primuspilum
10-05-13, 06:54
I'll regurgitate what I think the consensus is.

I think it's a very rational purchase if you are deep in 7N6.

If not, it's price sensitive. If surplus goes back to $129 a tin and surplus mags are in the $15 dollar range, very rational.

5.45 Surplus mags are starting to come back down as is price on ammo. It's not the screaming deal it used to be, but if you're looking to stack a caliber deep at a relatively low cost, 5.45 can still be had comparatively cheaply.

I think you'll always hear the recommendation to reload as a way to offset cost. For a lot of reasons, reloading is just not feasible for some of us. If you're looking for a "real" caliber to train with cheaply, I think 5.45 fits the bill. I don't think it's the equal of 5.56, but it's close enough to get the job done for training purposes, and a back up, if necessary.

jmk
10-05-13, 08:50
If you're looking for something that's cheaper than 5.56, have you considered getting and M&P15-22? It was tough to get .22LR for awhile (and along with all ammo ridiculously priced) but it seems to be more available now and priced relatively reasonably.

I have an SGL21 I bought a couple years ago but have shot it like 1-2X and have been toying with the idea of selling it since it just sits in the safe. It doesn't really do anything an AR doesn't and if I want to shoot something cheaply (or am trying to save ammo) I go with the M&P15-22.

this is my situation & thinking exactly.
when i go to practice now it's with .22lr, esp since i live in a sub-urban setting where getting to an outdoor range where i can shoot steel ammo takes significantly longer than my local indoor club.

i'm less concerned about the ultimate availability of 5.45 as even if B-HO bans imports the domestic manufacturers will step up (as Hornady already has).
which would raise the cost-per-round, of course, but that just pushes you back to .22lr, anyway... ;)

.22 is still scarce and pricey, but the deals are out there if you look.