PDA

View Full Version : Shot my new SCAR today!

ShipWreck
09-28-13, 21:00
Got my new Scar 16S in yesterday - As some know - I sold my Steyr AUG and used the $$ to pay for this.

Today, I put 287 Rounds thru the gun. Fantastic gun! Had a great time.

Now, I had already read it was it was super loud with the factory muzzle break - But, the break also reduces recoil a little. I wanted to try it before I just went ahead and took it off and had a flash hider installed...

Well.. DAMN was it loud sitting under a metal roof (outside) when it went off. I had to go back to the car and add foam ear plugs UNDER my muffs. And, with the reflection of the noise off that roof, I still started to get a headache.

But, I love this gun. I was using my Mepro 21 reflex sight (with triangle reticle) - an optic I had left over after I sold my Steyr AUG a couple of weeks back. After sighting it in, I was very impressed with the optic. I actually had considered selling it and getting a Trijicon 1-4x scope, as I didn't shoot as well with it on the AUG. But, for some reason, I shot with the Mepro MUCH better with the same optic on the SCAR.

So, I've decided not to bother with the Trijicon scope. I might shoot a little better groups with the magnification - but not $1000 better groups - hahahaha. Plus, with a mount, such a scope would add more weight to the rifle...

Anyway, After 150 rounds, I left the range for a little while, and I had the factory muzzle break removed. It was replaced with a Yankee Hill flash hider instead (it was $35). I then went back to the range and shot another 100+ rounds with it. HUGE difference. Recoil is a tiny bit more - but the noise seemed to be cut in 1/2. Just the muffs were fine at that point.

As I had read online previously - the zero of the rifle changes a bit when you make such a change. It was 3.5 inches to the left at 50 yards. So, I re-zeroed my optic with the new flash hider.

I did most of my shooting at 50 yards,but actually did about 80 rounds at 100 yards. First time I ever did that - as my eyes suck without magnification - and I never shot the AUG that well at 100 yards with my reflex sight. I did very well.

I also really like the TROY battle grip I installed last night (factory gun coems with an A2 grip - I hate that finger groove). The new pistol grip is at a slightly different angle, but it actually rests on sandbags better than a Magpul grip does.

Here is a pic:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/SCAR1000_zps75dbffba.jpg~original

Shawvez
09-28-13, 21:38
Cool, looks great. An M21 will be my next optic. Ive wanted one since my A1 carbine days. I like the SCAR also, I was loaned one at work and was very impressed.

ramairthree
09-29-13, 00:05
Very nice.

Ed L.
09-29-13, 13:36
Congrats on the new SCAR.

I missed this. Why did you decide to sell the AUG?

I had the same reaction the first time I shot one--had to stuff earplugs in as well as the muffs.

ShipWreck
09-29-13, 14:47
Congrats on the new SCAR.

I missed this. Why did you decide to sell the AUG?

I had the same reaction the first time I shot one--had to stuff earplugs in as well as the muffs.

Well, I will say that while the weight difference between the Steyr AUG I had (and the accessories on it) versus the weight my SCAR (and the accessories on it)... The AUG setup was about 6 ounces less. However, the SCAR does feel heavier than the AUG, because much of the weight of the AUG was in the rear.

And, the AUG was much shorter (had to re-arrange my safe to fit the SCAR).

However, I shoot the SCAR much better. I think a lot of that is the trigger. The trigger on an AUG is not known for being that great, unless you start to do mods to it. And, some people can complain about the factory SCAR trigger and throw in expensive $300 upgrades. But, the trigger weight seems to vary from specimen to specimen. Mine is fine.

I also found that for some reason, the barrel on the Steyr AUG had to heat up a bit before I shot consistent groups. That was kind of strange, and I didn't like that 1 factor. Not sure if they are all like that, or just the one I had.... The SCAR doesn't seem to have that issue.

In general - I liked the SCAR better - it's personal preference. I had an MSAR AUG years ago - my first 5.56 rifle at the time. After I sold it, I missed it a bit. And, I finally had a chance to get the real deal - a Steyr AUG. So, I gave the AUG platform another chance...

However, I probably would have gotten the SCAR months ago instead - had not all that craziness started. I got the AUG at normal price - but the 5.56 SCARs were going for over $3k, if you could even find one. Now, prices are back to normal.

BaronFitz
09-29-13, 15:21
I put a Battlecomp on my 16S, which does a good job of keeping muzzle rise down without making your teeth hurt from the racket like the FSC line. A little pricer than a FH, but worth it in my opinion.

I also noticed with my 16S that the stock doesn't rattle like my older FDE 17S. Maybe FN is improving a few things here and there.

Enjoy the new rifle... you'll find it much less of a chore to clean than a DI AR after a high round count. Just make sure to move the gas block selector lever back and forth a few times before you leave the range if you've fired a bunch, or it'll be hard to remove later to clean the piston (which is one of the few parts that does get truly filthy).

*ETA* I'm "that guy" that paid a stupid high price for my 16S back in January, but the way the winds were blowing then, I could have seen things going either way, and I wanted one while I still could. Still feel a little dumb, but at least I got mine.

JPB
09-29-13, 22:00
I also noticed with my 16S that the stock doesn't rattle like my older FDE 17S. Maybe FN is improving a few things here and there.

It's the same stock (16s/17s), right?

ShipWreck
09-29-13, 22:04
I just looked up the Battlecomp you mentioned. Ouch that is pricey!

Javelin
09-29-13, 22:06
That is a sexy piece of hardware!

halmbarte
09-29-13, 22:14
It's the same stock (16s/17s), right?

Yes. Later stocks have a anti-rattle spring in them that takes the slop out.

H

Pierced Armor
09-29-13, 23:19
Great looking rifle. I'll pick one up once pricing settles a little bit more.

PA

ryr8828
09-30-13, 07:51
Shipwreck, you ever shoot an acr?

Wondering what you thought about the differences if you had.

ShipWreck
09-30-13, 09:41

No, never shot an ACR. I have held one a couple of times (been probably 2 years since the last time). It seemed nice - but the gun doesn't seem nearly as popular as the SCAR. And, the aftermarket hasn't really latched onto it like they have with the SCAR.

I've been picking up the SCAR for years now... Wanting one.

I even sold off a very expensive 1911 two or three years back. Local gun store owner kinda wanted my 1911 for herself. But, she wasn't willing to trade me a new SCAR for it (at her cost for the SCAR at the time - it would have been a fantastic deal for her). I did sell the gun, and came so close to buying a SCAR then.

I made the mistake of picking up a SCAR again about 5-6 weeks ago, at a gun show. It was on my mind ever since. On my last range trip with my AUG, I decided I wanted the SCAR and put it up forsale that very day.

After shooting the SCAR, I don't regret my decision.

BaronFitz
09-30-13, 15:23
The BC takes a lot of the muzzle rise out of the equation, and really lets you feel the difference in the recoil impulse compared to the AR. It's not what I'd call better or worse, just different.

I still think the Geissele trigger is worth it, but I'm spoiled by the SSA-Es I have on all my ARs. :D

ShipWreck
09-30-13, 15:27

Here is a thread I just stumbled upon related to differences between the two...

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/27568-would-you-buy-bushmaster-acr-over-scar-16-if.html

TurretGunner
09-30-13, 17:36
The ACR is not even in the same league as the SCAR.
ACR is a 100% complete waste of money.

ryr8828
10-01-13, 06:24
Here is a thread I just stumbled upon related to differences between the two...

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/27568-would-you-buy-bushmaster-acr-over-scar-16-if.html

Thanks, but the replies on that forum could have been predicted in advance.
Much like the replies in the same kind of thread in the ACR forum. I'm a member of both and chuckle at the fanboyism. The guys in the ACR forum say the scar is junk and I view that as complete lunacy.

I have both a scar17 and an ACR, but have never shot a scar16. The scar17 I bought because I really wanted it and it's my favorite rifle of all I own.
The ACR enhanced (with some extra parts) I stumbled into in a trade when getting rid of something I didn't want anymore. I can't really find any fault with it outside of it being barrel heavy.
My guess is I'd prefer a scar16 to an ACR from shooting the ACR and my 17, but you can't really compare 7.62 against 5.56.

RHINOWSO
10-02-13, 20:47
Beware, the 16 is often the gateway to getting a 17...

Yes, FN improved the stock latch to get rid of the rattle on later SCARs, probably for the last year or so. It is the same stock on the 16/17, they are the same and interchangeable, as are a lot of parts on the SCAR.

Geissele SCAR triggers are awesome, I have them in both of mine but FN seems to have improved the stock trigger a bit. My 16 was purchased in 2011 and was awful & gritty, my 17 purchased about 15 months later had a good, military weight / quality trigger. Not "great" but battle rifle worthy. I had already purchased a Geissele for the 17 so I swapped the stock trigger out.

Factory break is loud, when I had them on mine it was fun to see people's reaction at the range. I use AAC 51T Blackouts now for the suppressor (SDN6), a little more recoil but not much.

ShipWreck
10-02-13, 21:00
Yea, lots of fans of the 17. But, I'm not interested in the larger caliber. I'm fine with 5.56. Damn ammo for that costs me enough as it is :p

masakari
10-02-13, 22:39
great looking rifle! I want a SCAR so much, but alas it probably won't happen, at least not for a long time.
I also like that Troy ECQB grip as well. I have one extra that's not on anything, but I don't want to get rid of it because I like it so much! Maybe I'll save it for my SCAR someday haha.
one thing to note: I see that you have a Light mounted at 12:00. That's my preferred mounting location as well.But if you flip up your front sight, you will block the light and cast a wild shadow.
I recommend replacing the SCAR front sight with a rail, and mounting a front sight behind the light. Or just slightly modify your mounting location (IWC Thorntail offset 1913 mount would be perfect). Thats just my recommendation.

ShipWreck
10-03-13, 06:42
Well, I have played with many light locations. Putting it at 9 o'clock is my personal preference... It's easier to activate that way (from the forward grip). But you then get a huge barrel shadow. That is why I have it at the 12 o'clock position.

On the AUG I previously had (which I sold to buy the SCAR), I did not even worry about backup sights. Admittedly, the optic railw as rather short... But, the optic is a big, one pound piece of aluminum. No batteries and no electronics inside of it.

At the time, I figured that if something broke the optic - more than likely, the huge plastic stock would be screwed too. And, I'd be in bad enough shape that I would likely be screwed anyway...

But, I've decided just to leave it the way it is for now. Part of the SCAR is polymer as well. I still kinda take that approach... (if something takes out this optic,. I've got serious problems).

I really don't wanna add anymore forward weight by adding a rail extension on the front either.

I do have the sights there if I need them. I don't know that I would need them AND the light on at the same time. I can always remove the TRL1 with a coin very, very easily, and reposition it. So, if I was in a situation where my optic dies some how, but the rifle still works... I could always move it then. I doubt this would be that likely.

Thanks for the suggestions, though...

ShipWreck
10-06-13, 14:52
FN Party :cool::cool:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/fnparty-bigger1_zps99bf0b1d.jpg~original

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/scar500_zps96c768c9.jpg~original