PDA

View Full Version : Marine Sharp Shooter Eliminates Taliban Fighter

wild_wild_wes
09-29-13, 03:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2BDKBI2sk

Helmand Province, Afghanistan - Moments after taking fire, U.S. Marines spot an armed Taliban fighter across the Helmand River where the ambush came from. After receiving clearance and confirming that he is in fact a Taliban fighter, the Marines engage with a suppressed MK-12. This is a typical engagement for Marines fighting in Afghanistan, and contrary to popular belief, confirmation of targets is confirmed before engaging.

ptmccain
09-29-13, 08:05
Well done. Semper Fi.

wild_wild_wes
09-29-13, 11:27
Good work by the spotter too. I wonder how he called the missed round. Wonder if the Taliban fighter knew he was being shot at.

Arctic1
09-29-13, 15:21
Good work by the spotter too. I wonder how he called the missed round. Wonder if the Taliban fighter knew he was being shot at.

He either saw the trace of the round, or bullet impact behind the target.

The guy probably knew he was being shot at, but I don't think he was able to orient sufficiently to what was happening in the 6 seconds before the second shot.

ptmccain
09-29-13, 15:26

The spotter's role, assuming there was one, is to watch closely and feed data to the shooter. He has a high power spotting scope and can see where the rounds are going.

Noodles
09-30-13, 13:46
5 seconds,

I wonder if the shooter is naturally left handed, plenty of room for the gun so I'd assume so. Also foam and duct tape on the stock. Non-cantilevered rings, I wonder if they were too tall? I've never felt like my cheekweld was wrong at 1.5" over rail on the AR.

Not surprised to see thumb on left side of the gun, but am surprised to see almost no bipod load.

MountainRaven
09-30-13, 14:41
5 seconds,

I wonder if the shooter is naturally left handed, plenty of room for the gun so I'd assume so. Also foam and duct tape on the stock. Non-cantilevered rings, I wonder if they were too tall? I've never felt like my cheekweld was wrong at 1.5" over rail on the AR.

Not surprised to see thumb on left side of the gun, but am surprised to see almost no bipod load.

The shooter may not have the training; He may simply be the best shooting grunt in his unit.

Noodles
09-30-13, 15:24
The shooter may not have the training; He may simply be the best shooting grunt in his unit.

No real criticism. I'm completely unaware who they hand Mk12s to. I would have figured anyone with a Mk12 was fully trained on them. We also don't know the distance. I would have to figure 300y+ though considering the number of voices on the video.

Doc. Holiday
09-30-13, 15:34
5 seconds,
but am surprised to see almost no bipod load.

Ya I caught that too...

Bandanabandit1
10-23-13, 04:13
Very cool! I always wondered though how that user was able to get all that combat footage...