PDA

View Full Version : S&W M60 ??

NYH1
09-30-13, 01:21
My dad gave me his S&W M60 3" 357 mag. about a year ago. He bought it new maybe 6 or 7 years ago. He didn't shoot it that often and neither do I. It's a nice little wheel gun though. Conceals great too.

However, lately when I push the little button/lever to open the cylinder, then when I push on the cylinder itself to open it, it's been getting a little tighter to open. We have alway's kept it clean and oiled. What does this sound like?

Thanks, NYH1.

robotoid
09-30-13, 10:55
Extractor rod is coming loose. It has reverse threads. Take it to a good gunshop and they could/should tighten it while you wait for free. It's like a 30 second job, but you don't want to booger or bend the rod with the wrong tool (i.e. pliers).

youreacrab
10-01-13, 20:02
Either the extractor rod is coming loose or the pin inside the extractor rod is wearing down at the tip. Either way, the pin isn't able to push the plunger far enough past the rod. Same thing happened to me and I had to fit a new pin. Get out the extractor rod wrench and a set or files or head to a gunsmith.

NYH1
10-01-13, 23:30
Thanks guys.

NYH1.

Icopy1
10-12-13, 15:54
You can use padded pliers to tighten the ejector rod. First see if you can loosen it with your fingers and then tighten. Some times the factory does tighten down all the way. Be sure to put two or three empty shell casings in the cylinder to keep the ejector star from bending.

Bandanabandit1
10-22-13, 23:01
Had the same problem with one of my Smiths when I was firing it. The cylinder wouldn't open at all. After hours of searching the web I did find in fact that the cylinder rod became loose. Just tighten it down (they do use reversed threads!, meaning twisting to the right will tighten it instead of the left). Definitely a DIY type fix.