PDA

View Full Version : Emerson Knives

BigJoe
09-30-13, 06:36
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=4661

I remember growing up watching my grandfather pull out his Case pocket knife regularly to do any myriad of tasks. I remember getting my first pocket knife and carrying it with me everywhere I was allowed and some places I wasn’t. A knife in your pocket just becomes part of your routine, just like carrying a wallet or your car keys. Fast forward to joining the military and getting to my first command, I was introduced to Emerson knives. Half my platoon seemed to carry them, all well worn and treated like prized possessions. Of course wanting to emulate my mentors I purchased my first Emerson knife about eight years ago and haven’t looked back. I have been issued, carried and used knives from just about every quality manufacturer out there, each one making its way into my pocket for a short time only to be replaced by an Emerson again.

Known as one of the elite hard-use knives on the market, Ernest Emerson started Emerson knives in 1979 and since the company has grown to its current state. Offering a large variety of different size and style folding and fixed blade knives, Emerson’s style shows their intent for their knives to be used with their black handles and basic finish options. While Ernest still makes full custom knives, the company focuses on their factory offerings. Emerson also runs a training center for self defense both with knives and without. Another thing emerson is known for is their patented “wave” feature, which is a hook on top of the blade allowing for one handed opening when drawing from a pocket or pouch. All their factory offerings feature G10 epoxy handles, 154cm steel blades and Titanium locks. Finishes offered are black and satin blades with most models being offered in serrated and non serrated versions. Recent developments has led Emerson to do a Multi-tool as well called the EDC, adding to their line and offering another great option to the market owned by Leatherman, SOG and Gerber.

I have owned at least six different emerson knives in the last eight years, sadly losing a couple over time. Currently I’m running a CQC7 and CQC8 with black blades on a regular rotation depending what i’m doing. The CQC7 is a medium sized tanto folding knife and the smallest of my Emersons but seems to be the one I tend to carry the most. Their slim profile allows for very comfortable daily carry. This is a big thing for me as many “hard use” knives on today’s market seem to be built so if you attached a chain to them you could use them as a boat anchor. This is not the case with Emersons, even their larger models are slim and fairly light making daily carry painless. I cannot say enough good things about their customer service, always being treated amazingly well. I will never say a company is the ONLY way to go but an Emerson Knife will be a regular companion of mine for the foreseeable future. New “high speed” knives come to the market regularly touting feature or options that nobody even knew they needed. The true test is to put out a product that lasts and built for a very demanding end user. Emerson has been and will continue to be used by the worlds elite military and law enforcement units for that reason.For more information:http://emersonknives.com

Charlie84
09-30-13, 07:55
Great write up and thanks for sharing. I carry a CQC8 daily. I love edged tools fixed/folders and own quite a few of them. The Emerson is the one I always grab before I leave the house.

yoni
09-30-13, 09:58
I had an Emerson knife once and loved it.

The problem I have with any knife that I carry for work in Afrika is that it runs the risk of becoming a gift.

As a result my folder now tends to be a Cold Steel Spartan as it is less painful to hand these knives out as gifts.

Kain
09-30-13, 10:22
I currently own two Emersons though am looking at picking up my third. Have an old Commander that I carried for several years and my current carry CQC-13 that I picked up used, very lightly used at that, for $100:D. Have run that one hard for the past two and half years and while it shows wear there is nothing wrong with it. Have always been very pleased with Emerson's knives and have even made a few converts out of Benchmade fans.

TMS951
09-30-13, 10:54
Carry an A100 daily, always loved the CQC-7 and still carry one from time to time.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-30-13, 12:25
Used to have a few, I think a Mini Commander, CQC 8, and Karambit. Had issues with the brittle blades chipping, and then had issues with their customer service. Swore them off and got a Spyderco, never looked back.

I hope they have changed and are good to go now because I see a lot of guys carrying them.

Kain
09-30-13, 12:59
Used to have a few, I think a Mini Commander, CQC 8, and Karambit. Had issues with the brittle blades chipping, and then had issues with their customer service. Swore them off and got a Spyderco, never looked back.

I hope they have changed and are good to go now because I see a lot of guys carrying them.

How did you chip the blades? Am curious.

Now, me, I have managed to destroy a few of their pocket clips, though it was really more of my fault, usually catching them on door frames when entering too close to the side. Current one I have on my CQC-13 I have run the same clip for a little more than a year, went a little crazy and got the one with the Emerson Skull and crossbones, ;)

jmoore
09-30-13, 13:04
I can't seem to hold on to them! Lost a Roadhouse and Super roadhouse!!!!!! Great knives, though. Carry a cheap CRKT m16 now:)
John

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-30-13, 13:07
How did you chip the blades? Am curious.

Now, me, I have managed to destroy a few of their pocket clips, though it was really more of my fault, usually catching them on door frames when entering too close to the side. Current one I have on my CQC-13 I have run the same clip for a little more than a year, went a little crazy and got the one with the Emerson Skull and crossbones, ;)

The CQC8 (or maybe it was an 11) chipped cutting tin seals that just about any pair of scissors or knives should cut through like butter. The karambit chipped on sheetrock. The Karambit is not a work knife, I know, but still.

BigJoe
09-30-13, 15:11
Huh, that is strange, i've done the same with the clips but i've done the same thing with spydercos and a few other clipped folders. usually just unscrew the clip and rebend it. I don't "use" my Karambit in that fashion, i do beat the ever living hell out of my cqc7 and that little tanto just laughs at pretty much anything i do to it. I had a commander for the longest time and that thing was a beast too, their customer service every time i have called or needed anything was awesome. But nobody is perfect and i'm not saying anything to discredit your comments, sometimes you just get people on a bad day.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-30-13, 15:27
Huh, that is strange, i've done the same with the clips but i've done the same thing with spydercos and a few other clipped folders. usually just unscrew the clip and rebend it. I don't "use" my Karambit in that fashion, i do beat the ever living hell out of my cqc7 and that little tanto just laughs at pretty much anything i do to it. I had a commander for the longest time and that thing was a beast too, their customer service every time i have called or needed anything was awesome. But nobody is perfect and i'm not saying anything to discredit your comments, sometimes you just get people on a bad day.

This was 05-08 timeframe. I got a personal apology after a little bit of a public feud with Ernie in 2010. We get along just fine now, and I would probably by an A100 if the price was right, I just have no issue with my Paramilitary II.

halo2304
09-30-13, 20:05
I've got a few Emerson knives. I used my CQC-10 out on the production floor cutting vehicle carpeting and noticed the blade has chips in it. What's surprising is the damn thing is still pretty sharp. My 10 has been semi-retired and is one of my favorite knives. I also keep a CQC-7 close by because it has served me so well. It has serrations which have come in very handy on occasions. It's the one knife I'm not afraid to beat on. Surprising, since Emerson's aren't cheap.

2Sharp
10-01-13, 09:57
Love my Emersons, been a fanboy since ~1994 when I first saw a pic of the CQC-6 in some knife rag.

Went through most models, Benchmade version CQC-7, Emersons own, Commanders etc.
Bought a CQC-6 in 2003-ish, it has been my EDC ever since :) Like the knives, respect the man, couldn't ask for more!

mattexass
10-01-13, 21:06
Those with the CQC-7, what do you think of the chisel grind? I have never owned or handled a chisel grind. I know what the concept of the chisel is, however I am wondering the upsides and downsides. I have been stalking Emerson for a long time and this might put me over the edge.

gun71530
10-01-13, 21:23
Anyone have any recommendations on which karambit too get for EDC purposes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
10-01-13, 21:30
Anyone have any recommendations on which karambit too get for EDC purposes.

Can you carry a fixed blade? Or do you have to carry a folder? Do you have to conceal it, or is is openly carried?

I'm partial to the Tarani folder, and the Emerson fixed Karambits. having said that, it's almost impossible to find a folding Tarani trainer. And you really, really need a trainer with a Karambit, even more than with most others.

I stopped buying knives that I could not buy a matching trainer for.

gun71530
10-01-13, 21:33
I can carry a fixed blade. I saw on Emerson's website, that they're selling karambit trainers now.

SeriousStudent
10-01-13, 21:44
Yep, they do make the Emerson trainers, and I highly recommend getting one of those if you get his knives.

Be really, really careful if you do buy something off ebay. There are TONS of Chinese crap knockoffs, be very wary. I'd be very hesitant to buy one from anybody but a well-known dealer or a friend, there are a lot of chances to be ripped off.

Retention with a Karambit is very good. The best way I know of to disarm somebody carrying one is a bunch of good CNS hits from across the street. Preferably with something belt-fed. ;)

BigJoe, I hope we have not pooped in your thread too much.

halo2304
10-01-13, 22:37
Those with the CQC-7, what do you think of the chisel grind? I have never owned or handled a chisel grind. I know what the concept of the chisel is, however I am wondering the upsides and downsides. I have been stalking Emerson for a long time and this might put me over the edge.

First off, the bevel is on the wrong side for right handers (which coincidently means the liner lock and pocket clip are on the wrong side for left handers too.) The reason it's on the wrong side is simple aesthetics. Go figure. The chisel grind is okay to sharpen but mine stays sharp for a few days and then it just feels like a 'sharp' square edge. It's technically 'sharp' but it doesn't cut things like paper well. Perhaps it's the bevel geometry or the heat treat of the steel on my blade. It could also be that I can't sharpen a knife for shit. (Probably that last one.) YMMV...as they say.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-02-13, 05:16
Are the liner locks still stiff as hell (almost to the point that they stick)?

BigJoe
10-02-13, 06:07
nah man, i welcome discussion on anything i post.

the liners on mine vary, most break in nicely. Actually have a harder time with a strider folder locking mechanism then with any of my emersons but thats a different write up all together

I love my cqc7, i have had no issues sharpening it. But no knife is perfect, nice thing is the varying options emerson offers for blade design.

for carry for defense i like my cqc8 and karambit. Actually buying a karambit fixed blade though as i only have so many pockets and want to be able to then carry a more usable knife/tool as well when i can't CCW.

Bowser
10-04-13, 02:02
I have a CQC7V and I like it a lot. What are you using to sharpen them?