PDA

View Full Version : BCM Gunfighter Grip Screws

WS6
09-30-13, 10:29
I installed a couple of them, and they have all been "difficult" to get tight. To the point where I worried that I may be cross-threading them, but I am not upon inspection. Last night, I installed one on my Daniel Defense SBR. It was VERY difficult, in fact, I mangled the screw head (using a large-blade that filled the slot, too!) and took it out. I was very worried, but the lower was fine. I then used the Daniel Defense sourced screw that came with the gun, and everything installed just fine. Snugged it down at the "bottom", and used the star washer, and she was good. No goop on the BCM threads.

Do they use a larger screw, and have others experienced this? Is this normal, was I doing it wrong, etc...?

hk_shootr
09-30-13, 10:43
Did it have a rather large drop of thread locker on it?
I run a die down the screws to remove, have not had any problems with screws backing out in years. I use the old star washer

kdcgrohl
09-30-13, 10:45
I have installed 5 of these and experienced no such troubles. Maybe they've changed hardware in last few months?

Kokopelli
09-30-13, 10:46
I've noticed that as well. I like the star washer approach..

Did it have a rather large drop of thread locker on it?
I run a die down the screws to remove, have not had any problems with screws backing out in years. I use the old star washer

Shorts
09-30-13, 11:00
That's oddd. I too wonder if they changed hardware. The Mod 1 I installed earlyy this year went on fine and snugged correctly. It did feel like I turned it longer than it seemed I should, but nothing concerning.

I did run the screw into the lower first w/o the grip in place to very fit w/o interference. Any issue after the grip is in place is because of hole alignment, I anticipated.

Oh no thread locker on it. Just the slotted screw and a star washer.

horseman234
09-30-13, 11:04
I received a Gunfighter from BMC on Saturday and installed it using their screw and star washer with no problem on a LMT lower. There was no thread locker on the threads.

sva01
09-30-13, 11:11
Mine went into my stripped Aero Precision lower with resistance as well. I was initially concerned about cross threading, verified that I hadn't, would turn in a few threads, back it back out, and then go further in again. It seemed to go in easier this way by using the screw as my "thread chaser." My star washer finally flattened out and it's secure. There was no thread locker on the BCM grip screw.

RWH24
09-30-13, 19:25
No problems on my 2 Spike's lowers except, each one uses a different length screw. I didn't figure it would make a difference, It did. Older lower had a longer hex screw/bolt than the newer. Older lower is a 2 letter prefix, newer is a 3 letter prefix.

DMViergever
09-30-13, 20:02
I have had some non BCM slotted screws feel this way but have no experience with the BCM grip. This is interesting though because I have been going back and forth between them and the Umbrella Corp.

WS6
09-30-13, 22:31
No thread locker on either. The BCM felt harder to turn from the get go. I didn't compare length of them.

Honorthecall81
10-01-13, 07:00
I installed a couple of them, and they have all been "difficult" to get tight. To the point where I worried that I may be cross-threading them, but I am not upon inspection. Last night, I installed one on my Daniel Defense SBR. It was VERY difficult, in fact, I mangled the screw head (using a large-blade that filled the slot, too!) and took it out. I was very worried, but the lower was fine. I then used the Daniel Defense sourced screw that came with the gun, and everything installed just fine. Snugged it down at the "bottom", and used the star washer, and she was good. No goop on the BCM threads.

Do they use a larger screw, and have others experienced this? Is this normal, was I doing it wrong, etc...?
I had the exact same problem. I installed a gunfighter grip from a miad on my DDv3. The screw that came with the bcm just would not get tight. I was also afraid I cross threaded but did not. I took the screw from the miad and used it with the gunfighter grip and everything was as tight and perfect as can be. Just weird...

WS6
10-01-13, 08:49
Of my sample of 3 guns, all 3 had this to some extent. This latest SBR was just the most noticeable. The others, I torqued down on good and the grips finally stopped shifting around while handling the weapons. This SBR, it wasn't happening with a large screw-driver and hands.

Blak1508
10-01-13, 12:50
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=117991

Just some info on it. I had a bit of trouble on my DDV1 at first but I figured it out and was GTG. But every time I have remove the pistol grip screw I cringe. I have build a few since that using a Rainier and also a Noveske lower and have not had any issues. Easy as pie. I do like using a Allen top screw if I can now, but before I do that I now measure out the screws to see if they are the same or not.

Robb Jensen
10-01-13, 13:43
I've installed about 70 of them w/o any issues.

Blak1508
10-01-13, 14:59
Yeah I calked my issues to my level of experience at the time. I did not strip anything but If I had continued on I would have. My wife made me sit with her for 5 minutes to cool down I was so pissed :D

709bubblehead
10-03-13, 16:40
I installed one one my rifle and one on my wife's rifle, both in the last month. Mine's a Spike's lower, hers is a S&W, and both went on without any issues. I had more trouble getting the grip itself onto the lower since the slot is a little bit tapered...

Iraqgunz
10-03-13, 19:17
I assembled about 200-300 of them when I was there and never had any issue. Not to mention all of the ones before and after.

I've installed about 70 of them w/o any issues.

WS6
10-03-13, 22:40
Interesting experiences. From now on, though,I'll just be using whatever came with the weapon for the grip screw. Avoids all issue.

Ballistic Agency
10-04-13, 10:26
I've installed many and have had exactly one that was tight like you describe and it was on a Daniel Defense SBR lower. I was very cautious with that one but it did not cross thread.

narco23
10-04-13, 17:09

Same issue with a DDM4v5. Figured it was my lack of experience.