PDA

View Full Version : Cool things to to in Atlanta Ga

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 10:50
My wife and I are going down to Atlanta in a few weeks.

I am going down chiefly for my P51 flight there at the Dixie Wing while we are there we would like to do some other things.

The Aquarium is #1 on the list followed by Kennesaw Battlefield and the Fernbank Natural History Museum. (My wife wants to see dino skeletons, I have a cool wife:D).

I have been looking online and The Atlanta Cyclorama and the Zoo seem interesting and eating at the 57th Fighter group restaurant.

What other things are there to do in Atlanta?

Not really into "night life". Unless there are some ghost tours or something like that.

We like historical, natural, cultural type stuff.

Not sure if we will have time to do everything, but I like to have a list of stuff so if something doesn't pan out, we have an alternate.

The P51 (me) and the Aquarium (her) are on the must do, everything else is optional.

What do you guys recommend?

jaxman7
09-30-13, 11:13
Eat at the Melting Pot fondue restaurant in Duluth. Love that place.

-Jax

ETA: ....and of course there is Stone Mountain. Anyone know if Glock is doing factory tours at Smyrna?

austinN4
09-30-13, 11:17
My wife wants to see dino skeletons, I have a cool wife:D).
Not Atlanta, but if you are ever in the area, I highly recommend The Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman for dino bones: http://www.museumoftherockies.org/

Sam
09-30-13, 11:22
If you have time, check out Stone Mountain, biggest piece of natural rock.

If you pack heat, don't take it or any other form of weapon to the Aquarium. It's a big no no (i.e. they have metal detectors).

Jax: Glock doesn't do tours of any kind.

Kokopelli
09-30-13, 11:27
Dang! That is going to be a blast.. Cheers.. Ron

jaxman7
09-30-13, 11:27
Sam,

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Always heard rumors about a tour but nothing in concrete.

I dated a girl in Snellville, worked in Duluth, and lived in Greyson for a while so I am racking my brain trying to remember were my ex and I used to go and have fun on the weekend that's around the ATL area. What is the building that has the spinning restaraunt on the top floor? That would be another nice place to eat. Cant remember the name but probably called Peachtree something or other like half of Atlanta. ;)

-Jax

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 11:29
If you have time, check out Stone Mountain, biggest piece of natural rock.

If you pack heat, don't take it or any other form of weapon to the Aquarium. It's a big no no (i.e. they have metal detectors).

Jax: Glock doesn't do tours of any kind.

I saw where they didn't do CCW, I normally do.

I was wondering about pocket knives and flashlights.

I normally carry a Surfire Backup and a Spyderco Endura. Are those Verboten as well? I don't want to hand them over to a guard to disappear.

I saw ads for Stone Mountain. Isn't it kind of a tourist trap type thing? Sort of like Rock City?

Kokopelli
09-30-13, 11:29
Helen GA is good for an overnighter...

jaxman7
09-30-13, 11:35
Helen GA is good for an overnighter...

Ja! Helen is beautiful.

Sam
09-30-13, 11:39
Sam,

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Always heard rumors about a tour but nothing in concrete.

I dated a girl in Snellville, worked in Duluth, and lived in Greyson for a while so I am racking my brain trying to remember were my ex and I used to go and have fun on the weekend that's around the ATL area. What is the building that has the spinning restaraunt on the top floor? That would be another nice place to eat. Cant remember the name but probably called Peachtree something or other like half of Atlanta. ;)

-Jax

Ah, Snellville/Duluth/Greyson - I've been there once or twice. :)

The restaurant you referred to is the Sun Dial, located at the top of the Westin Peachtree hotel. The outer ring of the restaurant revolves around the center core. It's worth it to go at twilight so you can see the view in the daylight and when it gets dark. Drinks and food are expensive.

Spurholder
09-30-13, 11:42
Try The Varsity for a chili dog and some onion rings.

CNN does tours.

Carter Library?

Fox Theater and the downtown area

Sam
09-30-13, 11:43
I saw where they didn't do CCW, I normally do.

I was wondering about pocket knives and flashlights.

I normally carry a Surfire Backup and a Spyderco Endura. Are those Verboten as well? I don't want to hand them over to a guard to disappear.

I saw ads for Stone Mountain. Isn't it kind of a tourist trap type thing? Sort of like Rock City?

The Aquarium have Atlanta PD officers station at the metal detectors. They will take your Spyderco. Like I said, no weapons of any kind. It's scary because the Aquarium is located in one of the worst area of town. Go in the daytime when all of the goblins are asleep before they get too jacked on on khat in the evening. :)

The Stone Mountain isn't a tourist trap like Rock City. Locals go there all the time. On Friday nights they usually have a laser show on the face of the mountain. Although the laser show may be closed after September. It's a good place to walk, hike, take in a little fresh air.

Sam
09-30-13, 11:44
Try The Varsity for a chili dog and some onion rings.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/varsity.jpg

Word ! It's a local legendary institution.

Fogo De Chao is good too, if you like Brazilian churiscaria style food. Costly ($50 per person before drinks)

jaxman7
09-30-13, 11:50
Again, thanks Sam. Its been a while since being over there.

-Jax

Sam
09-30-13, 11:52
Ja! Helen is beautiful.

Now that's a tourist trap especially during Oktoberfest :) Actually, I like Helen.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880Helen_008.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880Helen_009.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880Helen_009.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880Helen_006.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/17880Helen_007.jpg

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 11:53
Cool.

Keep 'em coming.

Thanks a bunch Sam for the advice on the Aquarium. I would probably have had to stop and turn around and go back to the car.:D

We will be going first thing on a weekday so maybe the goblins will be in for the morning.

Right now we will be there on a Friday night, I will definitely investigate the light show.

Thanks for the food ideas too. I would like to eat somewhere that isn't the same old chain restaurants that I can eat at here.

That turning restaurant sounds kind of cool. Do you have to have reservations?

Man those dogs look good, especially since all I have had to eat today is a bowl of Cheerios and I am going to have to eat a chicken salad sandwich out of the machine.:(

Sam
09-30-13, 12:02
Thanks a bunch Sam for the advice on the Aquarium. I would probably have had to stop and turn around and go back to the car.:D

We will be going first thing on a weekday so maybe the goblins will be in for the morning.

Right now we will be there on a Friday night, I will definitely investigate the light show.

Thanks for the food ideas too. I would like to eat somewhere that isn't the same old chain restaurants that I can eat at here.

That turning restaurant sounds kind of cool. Do you have to have reservations?

Man those dogs look good, especially since all I have had to eat today is a bowl of Cheerios and I am going to have to eat a chicken salad sandwich out of the machine.:(

Where is "here" that you're from? that will give me an idea of the non chain food that I can recommend. We visited my sister in law in Wash, DC and I specifically asked that she take us to "non chain" restaurants. She did not disappoint us, we went to some good places.

You don't have to make a reservation at the Sun Dial if you just want to have a drink at the bar. You do need to make a reservation if you want to dine in. They used to have Sunday brunches, those are good too.

The Sun Dial/Westin Peachtree hotel, the Varsity and the Aquarium are all within a two mile radius. They are smack dab in downtown ATL.

You're in luck, the laser show is still running.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/shows-entertainment/Lasershow.aspx

A question for you. Are you going to be at the Peachtree Dekalb Airfield with the P51?

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 12:18
Where is "here" that you're from? that will give me an idea of the non chain food that I can recommend. We visited my sister in law in Wash, DC and I specifically asked that she take us to "non chain" restaurants. She did not disappoint us, we went to some good places.

You don't have to make a reservation at the Sun Dial if you just want to have a drink at the bar. You do need to make a reservation if you want to dine in. They used to have Sunday brunches, those are good too.

The Sun Dial/Westin Peachtree hotel, the Varsity and the Aquarium are all within a two mile radius. They are smack dab in downtown ATL.

You're in luck, the laser show is still running.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/shows-entertainment/Lasershow.aspx

A question for you. Are you going to be at the Peachtree Dekalb Airfield with the P51?

Jackson TN is my "here", for chain restaurants. So Logans, Applebees, Chilis, Longhorn, TGI Fridays, Red Robin etc.

Yes at Peachtree Dekalb.

Sam
09-30-13, 12:37
Jackson TN is my "here", for chain restaurants. So Logans, Applebees, Chilis, Longhorn, TGI Fridays, Red Robin etc.

Yes at Peachtree Dekalb.

Gotcha on your location. Good, so far we haven't recommended you anything you can find at home.

I have to stop by PDK to check out the planes.

Do you like watches (wrist watches), if you do, take a trip to Phipps Plaza (upscale mall) and check out a few watch stores. Omega has their boutique in Phipps, Mayors sell Rolexes, there are a few other stores that sell stuff like Breitlings, Tags, Hamiltons, Panarais, etc. Phipps plaza is about 3 miles south of PDK on Peachtree Road.

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 12:52
Gotcha on your location. Good, so far we haven't recommended you anything you can find at home.

I have to stop by PDK to check out the planes.

Do you like watches (wrist watches), if you do, take a trip to Phipps Plaza (upscale mall) and check out a few watch stores. Omega has their boutique in Phipps, Mayors sell Rolexes, there are a few other stores that sell stuff like Breitlings, Tags, Hamiltons, Panarais, etc. Phipps plaza is about 3 miles south of PDK on Peachtree Road.

Technically the only chain restaurants where I live is an Applebees and our new Cracker Barrel. Have to drive 45 min to Jackson to find the other chains. So in reality, the other chains are like we are "going out on the town" but I would like to eat somewhere that I can't easily get to. :D

Not a watch guy. If you hadn't said they were watches, I would have assumed you were talking about store names. My watch consists of my cell phone or looking at where the sun is in the sky. :D

I am a plane guy though and I am hoping that CAF Dixie will have most of their other aircraft around while I am there so I can look at them too. I really want to see their F4U Corsair. I have never seen one in person before.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Sam
09-30-13, 12:59
Not a watch guy. If you hadn't said they were watches, I would have assumed you were talking about store names. My watch consists of my cell phone or looking at where the sun is in the sky. :D

I am a plane guy though and I am hoping that CAF Dixie will have most of their other aircraft around while I am there so I can look at them too. I really want to see their F4U Corsair. I have never seen one in person before.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Oh come on now, a plane guy who posts in a gun forum and not a watch guy. :p You have to like some kind of watch with the word GMT or Breitling or something. LOL.

I love the F4U Corsair also.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG773.jpeg

Picture was taken at the Air Space Museum at Dulles.

Ooh, almost forgot another legendary food place. FATT MATT'S RIB SHACK. Since you're from TN, you're familiar with the ribs joints in Memphis. Fatt Matt's, my prejudice opinion, is the best ribs joint around. It's a hole in the painted brick wall, greasy floor and all, but their ribs are falling off the bones finger lickin' good.

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 13:23
Oh come on now, a plane guy who posts in a gun forum and not a watch guy. :p You have to like some kind of watch with the word GMT or Breitling or something. LOL.

I love the F4U Corsair also.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG773.jpeg

Picture was taken at the Air Space Museum at Dulles.

Ooh, almost forgot another legendary food place. FATT MATT'S RIB SHACK. Since you're from TN, you're familiar with the ribs joints in Memphis. Fatt Matt's, my prejudice opinion, is the best ribs joint around. It's a hole in the painted brick wall, greasy floor and all, but their ribs are falling off the bones finger lickin' good.

Never been into watches.

The Corsair that the Dixie Wing has is in flying condition. I am hoping they will let me get a good look at it while I am there.

Better barbecue than The Rendevous? I used to have to run an "executive shuttle" when I was in college in Memphis. The #1 place I went to other than the airport was The Rendevous.

I will have to try this place and see.

Sam
09-30-13, 13:30
Never been into watches.

The Corsair that the Dixie Wing has is in flying condition. I am hoping they will let me get a good look at it while I am there.

Better barbecue than The Rendevous? I used to have to run an "executive shuttle" when I was in college in Memphis. The #1 place I went to other than the airport was The Rendevous.

I will have to try this place and see.

Never been to the Rendezvous. I've been to Leonard's Pit Cooked BBQ down the street from the Rangemaster.

Like I said, my taste buds are prejudiced. I love Fatt Matt's.

wahoo95
09-30-13, 13:41
Grab dinner at Antico Pizza....BEST PIZZA ON EARTH!!!

http://www.anticoatl.com/

Kokopelli
09-30-13, 13:43
Definitely do the varsity for lunch. Helen is a tourist trap, but hell I'm a tourist! hahahaha.. The drive north from Helen to Highlands is nice and of course if you make it to Highlands there's "Wild Thymes".. I guarantee you'll eat well there.. But I'm getting quite a ways from Hotlanta!

Spurholder
09-30-13, 14:11

Any place that lists their closing time as "until out of dough" gets a visit!

Thanks for sharing.

wahoo95
09-30-13, 14:16
Any place that lists their closing time as "until out of dough" gets a visit!

Thanks for sharing.

This isn't pizza like many are used to so don't go prepared for anything that taste like that stuff served up by chain pizza delivery joints :) Also, they serve beer, however you can bring your own beer/wine which is pretty cool.

Spurholder
09-30-13, 14:33
This isn't pizza like many are used to so don't go prepared for anything that taste like that stuff served up by chain pizza delivery joints :) Also, they serve beer, however you can bring your own beer/wine which is pretty cool.

Know what you mean - spent some time in northern Italy and southern Switzerland.

Redbeardsong
09-30-13, 14:39
The Atlanta History Center is a worthwhile stop, and not far from PDK.

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com

For eats, there are tons of top notch choices (and I don't count The Varsity as one). La Fonda (5 locations) has great paella and fish enchiladas and patio seating. Taqueria Del Sol has outstanding a la carte tacos. ( I like Mexican food.)

Empire South is Chef Hugh Acheson's latest restaurant in Atlanta. I haven't eaten there yet, but his other two restaurants in Athens are amazing. There are a lot of great restaurants in Atlanta.

Clyde Armory is about an hour and fifteen minutes east on 316. Lots of cool guns and gear.

Crow Hunter
09-30-13, 14:42
Clyde Armory is about an hour and fifteen minutes east on 316. Lots of cool guns and gear.

I saw what you did there.:D

Thanks for the tips.

Ick
09-30-13, 15:05
DON'T go to the Coca-Cola museum. That place was downright strange. Definitely not worth the price of admission.

Devildawg2531
09-30-13, 15:23

Agree on Antico Pizza and the Varsity. Great food

For recreation you should CCW and walk around after night in the Grove Park and Bankhead area's of the ATL:)

Avenger29
10-01-13, 01:43
DON'T go to the Coca-Cola museum. That place was downright strange. Definitely not worth the price of admission.

You aren't kidding on the strange part for the Coca-Cola museum. Some of it was worthwhile (the bottling plant plus the actual history parts) while other parts of it were flat out ****ing weird. The video at the beginning is pretty out there.

The aquarium is pretty ****ing awesome. Free dolphin show with admission. The dolphins are cool, the parts of the show that don't involve the dolphins are pretty ghey.

If you are into trains the Southern Railway Museum has some nice equipment and is dirt cheap to get into.

Stone Mountain is pretty cool.

There is also the zoo but I dunno how it is.

I can't add anything to the restaurant suggestions.

Hootiewho
10-01-13, 07:52
Pappadeaux is a pretty good restaurant to try.

Downtown Lawrenceville is also a nice little evening scene, and it's right by Bullseye gun shop. There is some beautiful scenery up around Elijay if you want to go on a day trip. There's a pretty good gun shop in Monroe (monroe sporting arms?) and one in Braselton (dixie gun shop maybe?).