PDA

View Full Version : Do they still pull "fireguard" in Army basic?

ABNAK
10-01-13, 13:19
Friend of mine is a retired SgtMaj, insists they don't do it anymore. He's been retired since the 90's and I threw the BS flag! I maintain it's part of getting a soldier used to pulling "guard" duty as the days of wooden barracks and coal burning stoves (which he lived in at Ft. Knox basic in 1970) are long gone. It conditions the troop to get used to the idea of being awake at times you don't want to be, i.e. in the middle of the night.

Hell, in 1983 at Benning we pulled it at Sand Hill, and they were brick barracks (although the Harmony Church schleps still lived in the wooden ones :) ).

Well, any recent grads or Drill Sergeants?

LtNovakUSA
10-01-13, 13:39
They do. Two on Firegaurd per Platoon when they are in the Barracks. Plus they still act as CQ runners. CQ rotates between the PLTs, two on CQ per company, with 1 Drill sgt as the actual Charge of Quarters. Those 2 CQ runners come from the Drill's PLT.

The above from a friend of mine who is currently an Armor OSUT Company Cdr at Ft Benning right now.

skydivr
10-01-13, 15:59
They do. Two on Firegaurd per Platoon when they are in the Barracks. Plus they still act as CQ runners. CQ rotates between the PLTs, two on CQ per company, with 1 Drill sgt as the actual Charge of Quarters. Those 2 CQ runners come from the Drill's PLT.

The above from a friend of mine who is currently an Armor OSUT Company Cdr at Ft Benning right now.

Your friend is correct. However, it may be a post by post requirement and not uniform across TRADOC. I still can't get over AR OSUT at Benning and not Knox...

ABNAK
10-01-13, 16:17
Your friend is correct. However, it may be a post by post requirement and not uniform across TRADOC. I still can't get over AR OSUT at Benning and not Knox...

Me neither!

You know if the treadhead trainees are doing it the grunt ones sure as hell are!

ETA: I would *think* that it wasn't a post by post thing. One of the basics of soldiering (hence the basic training part) is pulling some sort of guard duty at all hours. I think the "fire" part of fireguard is a ruse! Maybe at one time, but even then they killed two birds with one stone. I would be very disappointed in the Army if that wasn't an Army-wide requirement for BCT/OSUT.

Caeser25
10-01-13, 16:20
AR OSUT is at Benning now?

ABNAK
10-01-13, 16:23
AR OSUT is at Benning now?

Yep, in the Harmony Church area (old wooden barracks are long gone). Grunts are at Sand Hill, with some smattering of other MOS's basic-only at Sand hill also, but seperate from the grunts in OSUT.

Ft Benning is now the "Combined Arms Center of Excellence". :(

kry226
10-01-13, 18:42
Yep, in the Harmony Church area (old wooden barracks are long gone). Grunts are at Sand Hill, with some smattering of other MOS's basic-only at Sand hill also, but seperate from the grunts in OSUT.

That's just crazy. Last I checked (and based on my own experiences), infantry and tankers don't get along so well. :p

Caeser25
10-01-13, 19:09

So I'm assuming ARTY is there as well?

sandman99and9
10-01-13, 19:58
I remember pulling firewatch during basic at Sand hill, Ft Benning in the early 90's

4th platoon C/Co 1/38 Inf just down the road from the reception battalion :)

We had the joy of having the Drill Sgt school eating in our chow hall every day.

Was it me or were those damn starship Barracks either 10 degrees hotter or colder than the outside temp ?

S.M.

CodeRed30
10-01-13, 20:32

With a big ****ing sign out front that says "Home of the Armor".

Like **** it is! :mad:

Wake27
10-01-13, 21:04

It's the Manuever Center of Excellence. Arty is still at Ft. Sill and as of two years ago, 11B's were pulling fire guard just as Lt said.

ABNAK
10-01-13, 21:45
It's the Manuever Center of Excellence. Arty is still at Ft. Sill and as of two years ago, 11B's were pulling fire guard just as Lt said.

I stand corrected. Still a culture shock for me to see it though! (was down there for my father-in-law's WWII reunion this past March and got a guided tour of the base)

Army Chief
10-01-13, 21:47
As a former 11B (obviously Benning-trained), it was odd indeed to find myself stationed at Fort Knox a couple of years ago when they stuck their tents on the Armor Center and moved everything to the former Infantry Center. Knox is effectively just a Recruiting Command and Human Resources Command post now (where all assignments are made), though the ROTC presence remains, and is apparently going to grow again with the return of Basic Camp. Not sure if they ran it this past summer, or if it was slated to resume in 2014; either way, the tanks aren't rumbling through the maneuver areas there any more like they once did. Too bad, as Knox is actually a very nice post with a pretty interesting history.

Benning is big enough to absorb the influx, of course, but I can't help but think that it must change the nature of the place somehow from the old light (Infantry/Airborne/Ranger) focus to heavy (Mech/Cav/Armor). Then again, I guess those lines are being increasingly blurred of late, too, as we move to vehicles like the Stryker. Probably have been for a while, if we include the Bradley. Maybe the fit isn't so awkward, after all. Just a different mentality.

AC

ABNAK
10-01-13, 21:49
With a big ****ing sign out front that says "Home of the Armor".

Like **** it is! :mad:

I have to laugh....when I was down there this past March for the above-mentioned WWII reunion I asked one of the Infantry Drill Sergeants if they were inter-mixed with Armor DS's. "Hell no!" was the reply. You should have seen the indignation!

Methinks sharing the Home of the Infantry with dats and scoots isn't real popular. ;)

ABNAK
10-01-13, 21:52
As a former 11B (obviously Benning-trained), it was odd indeed to find myself stationed at Fort Knox a couple of years ago when they stuck their tents on the Armor Center and moved everything to the former Infantry Center. Knox is effectively just a Recruiting Command and Human Resources Command post now (where all assignments are made), though the ROTC presence remains, and is apparently going to grow again with the return of Basic Camp. Not sure if they ran it this past summer, or if it was slated to resume in 2014; either way, the tanks aren't rumbling through the maneuver areas there any more like they once did. Too bad, as Knox is actually a very nice post with a pretty interesting history.

AC

Ironically I too found myself at Ft. Knox after I PCS'd from Panama. The now-defunct 194th Armored Brigade, which had a mech Infantry BN as well as 11C slots (me) in their Cav Troop.

I went from the 193rd Infantry Brigade in Panama to the 194th Armored Brigade at Knox!

BTW, is Basic Camp the summer thing for ROTC? If so, who the hell is supporting it? IIRC there is a brigade of the 1st ID (?) stationed there so maybe that is who is getting tasked to provide support.

Wake27
10-01-13, 21:59
As a former 11B (obviously Benning-trained), it was odd indeed to find myself stationed at Fort Knox a couple of years ago when they stuck their tents on the Armor Center and moved everything to the former Infantry Center. Knox is effectively just a Recruiting Command and Human Resources Command post now (where all assignments are made), though the ROTC presence remains, and is apparently going to grow again with the return of Basic Camp. Not sure if they ran it this past summer, or if it was slated to resume in 2014; either way, the tanks aren't rumbling through the maneuver areas there any more like they once did. Too bad, as Knox is actually a very nice post.

AC

Its usually referred to as LDAC now, we all know how the Army likes to rename things... They were still up at JBLM this past year, I think the rumor is that 2014 will be the first year at Knox.

I have to laugh....when I was down there this past March for the above-mentioned WWII reunion I asked one of the Infantry Drill Sergeants if they were inter-mixed with Armor DS's. "Hell no!" was the reply. You should have seen the indignation!

Methinks sharing the Home of the Infantry with dats and scoots isn't real popular. ;)

At least the infantry DS's have the blue ring on their hats, really let us know who not to **** with. Plus it just looks so much more badass.

Army Chief
10-01-13, 22:07
BTW, is Basic Camp the summer thing for ROTC? If so, who the hell is supporting it? IIRC there is a brigade of the 1st ID (?) stationed there so maybe that is who is getting tasked to provide support.

Yes -- though I'm not sure if it is still called that, since Advanced Camp was itself renamed LDAC at some point. Bragg used to run a Basic Camp, too (Camp All American), but the idea is to offer a "light" version of BCT training for cadets that don't have any prior service. (Unlike guys using their GI Bill, coming from the Guard/Reserve or doing the Green-to-Gold thing, for example.)

Fairly sure the 1 ID assets are moving, and I can't recall who the supporting cadre was supposed to be drawn from. Normally I'd probably be a bit more lucid, but this week's household move has be a bit worn out. ;)

AC

Wake27
10-01-13, 22:11
Oh wait, yeah LDAC is advanced camp, I think basic camp is what is now referred to as LTC - Leadership Training Camp (IIRC). I had a buddy go while I did the guard/SMP route. Sounded like it was a good time.

ABNAK
10-01-13, 22:20
Fairly sure the 1 ID assets are moving, and I can't recall who the supporting cadre was supposed to be drawn from. Normally I'd probably be a bit more lucid, but this week's household move has be a bit worn out. ;)

AC

Every summer the 194th was tasked out for ROTC support. No NTC, no Ft. Bliss, just running ranges. Hell, they even cleaned the weapons the cadets used! Not sure about the M16's and personal weapons, but the crew-served stuff. Kinda always thought that set a bad precedent for their officer careers, but it was explained to me that their schedules were full enough that they didn't have time (!) to do it. :rolleyes: Mmmkay......

Wake27
10-01-13, 22:25
Every summer the 194th was tasked out for ROTC support. No NTC, no Ft. Bliss, just running ranges. Hell, they even cleaned the weapons the cadets used! Not sure about the M16's and personal weapons, but the crew-served stuff. Kinda always thought that set a bad precedent for their officer careers, but it was explained to me that their schedules were full enough that they didn't have time (!) to do it. :rolleyes: Mmmkay......

We really didn't. We cleaned our own M16's that we carried for about 2 weeks but the whole thing is run a lot more efficiently than basic so its not like there was a stupid amount of downtime. They used guard units for a lot of our cadre, including on the ranges. It served as their AT.

Sensei
10-02-13, 00:46
Benning is big enough to absorb the influx, of course, but I can't help but think that it must change the nature of the place somehow from the old light (Infantry/Airborne/Ranger) focus to heavy (Mech/Cav/Armor). Then again, I guess those lines are being increasingly blurred of late, too, as we move to vehicles like the Stryker. Probably have been for a while, if we include the Bradley. Maybe the fit isn't so awkward, after all. Just a different mentality.

AC

Benning has indeed changed, and so has the whole Columbus, GA area. IMHO, both have become very livable. I went though basic in the early 90's and came back several times during my infantry career until 1998. Then, there was a hiatus in my visits until after I changed my officer branch to the medical corps. I started to come back to the CONUS Replacement Command in Harmony Church for deployments in 2007, 2009, and 2011. Man, the past 5 or 6 years have seen Harmony Church transform from a remote location on post to a small city as the Armor School has taken over. You really don't recognize the place anymore as it looks more like a college campus. I used to run the loop around Old Cusseta Hwy, Hourglass Rd, and Jamestown Rd. Now, traffic is so bad that you are likely to get killed by some PFC in a mustang or fresh LT in an Abrams.

Having spent some of my most formative years on that post, it is good to see Ft. Benning growing. I just left the service 3 months ago, but a part of me will always call Benning and Columbus home.

C-grunt
10-02-13, 01:20
I still can't believe they moved armor training there. I went through basic there in 02 and ended up assigned to 1/30th up on Kelly Hill. Being a mech unit we got along with the tankers, especially on cold night during guard when we used them as 60 ton heaters. But they always knew they were in our house there. Now they are going to be some cocky sumbitches.

jaxman7
10-02-13, 02:43
.... but a part of me will always call Benning and Columbus home.

Amen to that. I loved being at Benning/Columbus. Columbus is a great town and I miss being there. Little things like the Riverwalk at night, Ranger Joe's and riding down Victory Drive and stopping at all the pawn shops. Found some seriously cool stuff in those shops over the years. Joe can get rid of some fabulous stuff. And yes I don't miss anything else about VD drive. ;)

-Jax

ABNAK
10-02-13, 03:08
I still can't believe they moved armor training there. I went through basic there in 02 and ended up assigned to 1/30th up on Kelly Hill. Being a mech unit we got along with the tankers, especially on cold night during guard when we used them as 60 ton heaters. But they always knew they were in our house there. Now they are going to be some cocky sumbitches.

I couldn't resist! :)

ABNAK
10-02-13, 03:12
Amen to that. I loved being at Benning/Columbus. Columbus is a great town and I miss being there. Little things like the Riverwalk at night, Ranger Joe's and riding down Victory Drive and stopping at all the pawn shops. Found some seriously cool stuff in those shops over the years. Joe can get rid of some fabulous stuff. And yes I don't miss anything else about VD drive. ;)

-Jax

I spent almost $140 there during my March visit.

Infantry Museum was pretty cool too.

CodeRed30
10-02-13, 04:13
You ****ers are crazy or amnesiac. I hated Benning while I was there! Getting scuffed up at every turn. Don't get me wrong, amazing lessons learned but I certainly won't say I miss it!

Infantry museum is legit, as ABNAK mentioned. Definitely worth seeing.

Army Chief
10-02-13, 05:49
You ****ers are crazy or amnesiac. I hated Benning while I was there! Getting scuffed up at every turn. Don't get me wrong, amazing lessons learned but I certainly won't say I miss it!

Can't say as I ever saw very much of Benning beyond the training areas. I did BCT, AIT and (later) Airborne School there, but aviation took me to Rucker for the most part thereafter.

I too really enjoyed the National Infantry Museum. Got to see that a couple of years ago during a site visit to Lawson AAF, and it was admittedly an emotional experience for me. After all, I became an Aviator in no small part because of what I remember those guys doing for us as Grunts. Definitely a strong bond with me.

AC

Wake27
10-02-13, 07:22
Yeah I have awful memories of Benning. Granted I've only been there for OSUT so far, but still. The Infantry museum is awesome though - very impressive.

C-grunt
10-02-13, 10:59

I was all excited when I finished Basic and we got on the bus and drove over to Airborne School. I was there for all of 5 minutes when I learned that I was not medically cleared at MEPS for the school. I had a ruptured eardrum and had to go see a ENT doctor.

So my ass got back on the bus and drove back to Sand Hill. I got stuck in some limbo wasteland with a bunch of privates who either were waiting on orders (open enlistment guys) or were getting medically booted out of Basic.

After 3 weeks waiting for an appointment with the doctor I told my chain of command I don't care about Airborne School just get me out of here and to a unit.

Two days later they told me I got a unit. The DS in charge told me to get in his truck and five minutes later I was at my unit.

At first I was kinda pissed because who has ever heard of 3rd ID? Definitely not as famous as the 82nd, 101st or 10th Mountain. But that changed about 6 months later.

Wake27
10-02-13, 11:21
I was all excited when I finished Basic and we got on the bus and drove over to Airborne School. I was there for all of 5 minutes when I learned that I was not medically cleared at MEPS for the school. I had a ruptured eardrum and had to go see a ENT doctor.

So my ass got back on the bus and drove back to Sand Hill. I got stuck in some limbo wasteland with a bunch of privates who either were waiting on orders (open enlistment guys) or were getting medically booted out of Basic.

After 3 weeks waiting for an appointment with the doctor I told my chain of command I don't care about Airborne School just get me out of here and to a unit.

Two days later they told me I got a unit. The DS in charge told me to get in his truck and five minutes later I was at my unit.

At first I was kinda pissed because who has ever heard of 3rd ID? Definitely not as famous as the 82nd, 101st or 10th Mountain. But that changed about 6 months later.

When I went two years ago, the hold over was apparently 6 months for airborne school...

sandman99and9
10-02-13, 13:54
I remember being told when I arrived at Benning that I would be at the reception battalion for 2-3 days and it ended up being 14 days of suck before I went downrange to start training. Some long, boring days of nothing but make work and crap details. Anyone else have to pick up trash on the side of the public highways ?? WTF ?

I did get to work the phones and radios at CQ quite a bit and the Sgt Maj brought me some BK burgers a couple times :)

I loved Ranger Joe's !!

S.M.

kry226
10-02-13, 15:47
Ah, the trip down memory lane!

OSUT, BNCOC, and Airborne here, and like others, my memories weren't so pleasant. These days I look back with fondness, and even took the wife to see all the skin heads on Sand Hill. Honestly though, it's still the most intimidating post I've ever been to. It's like you come in the gate and all the suck just starts pummeling you at once.

Still cannot believe the tankers are there. I bet everyone washes their hands before they eat field chow now too.

dash1
10-02-13, 17:45

AC

Two reserve units just did Tank Gunnery on Ft. Knox, so there still are some tanks to be seen and heard.

Heavy Metal
10-02-13, 18:48
I went thru Basic in 1990 at Ft. Jackson.

I was in a Starship Barracks, it was modern at the time, only a few years old, mainly block and masonry in construction with ample smoke alarms. The odds of it burning and killing the occupants were almost zero. It was obvious, to even my young self, the damn thing was deliberately designed to NOT burn! I was aware, even then of the dangers of the old firetrap Barracks and how people had died in them from the stove or people smoking in bed.

I always figured Fire Guard was really to:

1) Get you used to the idea of pulling a guard shift.

2) Most importantly, to have accountability on making sure nobody snuck out and went over the wall after lights-out.

There were still some Trainees who were stuck in those old wooden Barracks up near Tank Hill at the time I went thru. Even still, I am sure those had ample alarms installed and were in no danger of burning down before the occupants could escape or extinguish the fire.

DragonDoc
10-02-13, 19:01
That's just crazy. Last I checked (and based on my own experiences), infantry and tankers don't get along so well. :p

Well they better learn how to now that they are in bed together.

jaxman7
10-02-13, 20:31
When I went two years ago, the hold over was apparently 6 months for airborne school...

And that would've been airborne hold. Directly across from the graduation field and on the other side of the parking lot from the small PX. I spent WAY too much time there recovering from 2 surgeries before moving on. That place is a no man's land. Most of my recovery time involved driving the ITB commander around in a Tahoe. First week while driving him around while still on profile and still drugged up from pain killers given to me at Martin Army....I center punched a tree with a Colonel, CSM, and a Major riding with me. Yep, fun times! :) Not what I signed up for. Only good thing that came from Airborne hold was that it gave me time to attend Javelin school.

-Jax

ABNAK
10-02-13, 21:57
Walking around for your hour with helmet liner (pre-Kevlar days), flashlight, and laminated General Orders sheet.

One night there was a knock at the platoon bay's door. I was like "WTF?" as it was in the middle of the night. I had been trying to wake up my relief, a piece of excrement we called "Sleepy Irvin" as that SOB dropped off to sleep if you had a 5 minute break and did NOT want to get up for fireguard.

At any rate, I figured I better go see who was at the door. I opened it and 2 Drill Sergeants, one with a werewolf mask on, jumped through the door and went "Grrrrr!!!". I jumped back and reflexively drew back with my flashlight like a club. They laughed and said "What are you gonna do, hit us with that?" I stumbled through an answer to the negative and they went through the bay f*****g with sleeping recruits (I think they *may* have been drinking but wasn't sure, and sure as hell wasn't going to ask!).

After they got bored rattling startled trainees, they looked at me and asked about my General Orders, yada yada. Asked what I was doing and I told them I was trying to wake up my relief but he wouldn't get up.

Then the fun began........:D

Sleepy Irvin's bunk was the last one in a row, right next to a wall. One of the DS's walked over, put the mask back on, and leaned down over him. He growled, and told him to get up, but not in a loud tone. Irvin grumbled and rolled over. The DS seemed stunned at first that he'd been blown off, and leaned down again and repeated his "Get up" slightly louder. Irvin again grumbled and buried his face in the pillow. The DS stood back up, pissed as hell, and took the mask off while handing it to the other DS. He said "Oh, this is too good!".

"GET THE F*** UP!!!" he screamed as he simultaneously reached down and flipped Irvin's bunk against the wall, sandwiching him. Of course every-damn-body woke up and Irvin jumped to attention (clad in underwear and T-shirt) amongst the wreckage of his bunk.....one of the funniest things I've ever seen! Of course I was loving every minute of it as this POS was a dumbass.

The DS's took turns reaming his ass and needless to say, I was relieved of fireguard! Went to bed with a smile on my face for the only time in OSUT.

To this day I CANNOT STAND and have ZERO patience with sleepyheads. Get the hell up when you're supposed to. :mad:

C-grunt
10-02-13, 22:12
And that would've been airborne hold. Directly across from the graduation field. I spent WAY too much time there recovering from 2 surgeries before moving on. That place is a no man's land. Most of my recovery time involved driving the ITB commander around in a Tahoe. First week while driving him around while still on profile from drugs given to me at Martin Army....I center punched a tree with a Colonel, CSM, and a Major riding with me. Yep, fun times! :) Not what I signed up for. Only good thing that came from Airborne hold was that it gave me time to attend Javelin school.

-Jax

That's exactly where I was the whole time. I hate that place.

Sensei
10-03-13, 12:29
Benning is without a doubt a much better experience as an O-4 than an E1. For example, I had to pull some time at Martin Army Hospital during my last deployment. After a few weeks I got tired of parking in Egypt and walking across the parking lot only to see TWO perpetually empty spots on the front row labeled "Reserved for Visiting General Officer. So, I went down to the PX and bought myself a Blue Star Service Flag; you know, the one's that your family puts in the front lawn or window to signify the number of members serving. I was able to attach it to the front of my Tahoe (NC only uses rear license plates) and park there for 3 days. On the 3rd day, a Ft. Benning police officer finally came to the ED and politely told me to remove my car and the 3 blue stars on the front; perhaps LT General was a little too presumptuous. Something tells me that an Article 15 would have been the result had I been an E1.

skydivr
10-03-13, 12:46
Two reserve units just did Tank Gunnery on Ft. Knox, so there still are some tanks to be seen and heard.

Awesome, but I think you mean ARNG?

skydivr
10-03-13, 12:49
Benning is without a doubt a much better experience as an O-4 than an E1. For example, I had to pull some time at Martin Army Hospital during my last deployment. After a few weeks I got tired of parking in Egypt and walking across the parking lot only to see TWO perpetually empty spots on the front row labeled "Reserved for Visiting General Officer. So, I went down to the PX and bought myself a Blue Star Service Flag; you know, the one's that your family puts in the front lawn or window to signify the number of members serving. I was able to attach it to the front of my Tahoe (NC only uses rear license plates) and park there for 3 days. On the 3rd day, a Ft. Benning police officer finally came to the ED and politely told me to remove my car and the 3 blue stars on the front; perhaps LT General was a little too presumptuous. Something tells me that an Article 15 would have been the result had I been an E1.

You MUST be a Tanker, that's what I call BOLD, AUDACIOUS and DESCISIVE :)

I can beat that one: Several years ago (at Knox), we had a trainee (oops can't call them that anymore) get hurt out on a range. My Bn Cdr and I go up to Ireland to see the kid (he's not hurt THAT bad). When we go in, a nurse tries to stop us - she says "I'm sorry, but only Doctors can go in here". My Bn Cdr looked her square in the face and said, "Lady, I AM a Doctor" and walked right by her - not mentioning that he had a Doctorate in EDUCATION, not Medicine :)

From him I learned two adages:
1. "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission"
2. "You can get away with just about most anything, as long as it's not for YOU, but for those under your Command"

I would follow that guy thru the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil...

dash1
10-03-13, 15:56
Awesome, but I think you mean ARNG?

No. USMCR.

kry226
10-03-13, 16:49
Benning is without a doubt a much better experience as an O-4 than an E1.

You said a mouthful there. Did jump school as a CPT, or an "Alpha." Felt so bad for the E6s who had to stay in the barracks and babysit the skinheads fresh off of Sand Hill. Needless to say, newly found freedom for 18 year-olds results in lots of alcohol consumption and whizzing in one's own bed.

It wasn't pretty.

CodeRed30
10-04-13, 01:26
You said a mouthful there. Did jump school as a CPT, or an "Alpha." Felt so bad for the E6s who had to stay in the barracks and babysit the skinheads fresh off of Sand Hill. Needless to say, newly found freedom for 18 year-olds results in lots of alcohol consumption and whizzing in one's own bed.

It wasn't pretty.

Oh, you underestimate the joy an infantry E6 has "babysitting" a private ;)

kry226
10-04-13, 04:16
Oh, you underestimate the joy an infantry E6 has "babysitting" a private ;)

Having been an infantry SSG/E6, I don't think so. Trust me, the NCOs in the barracks were getting as much from the Black Hats as the NCOs were giving to the PVTs.

CodeRed30
10-04-13, 09:18
I'm an infantry E6 and I'm contrary to your position on this.

skydivr
10-04-13, 10:05

It wasn't pretty.

Me too...agree I felt sorry for ANY NCO having to put up with the "Black Hat Experience" - but the fresh privates HAVE to be kept a close hold on...

kry226
10-04-13, 12:34
I'm an infantry E6 and I'm contrary to your position on this.

OK, that's fine. I have presided over my fair share of smoke fests and executions (including a Captain a few months ago). But all night GI Parties and hourly bed checks do not tickle my fancy as an enjoyable experience. :suicide: