PDA

View Full Version : Shot an AR and a SCAR Today

bjxds
10-01-13, 20:34
I am relatively new to AR's. I shot them many years ago, just for fun when they as well as ammo were dirt cheap. Cheap ones not mil spec, no real problems.

Fast forward many many moons. I decided to get a quality mil spec AR, because the quality vs price was well worth it, couple of hundred $ more. I decided on a BCM- Mid 16. The only reason brand is mentioned is so that the quality of gun is not in question.

After shooting with a friend he really, really wanted an AR too. He was going to get get a bottom line AR, and I told him to do some research and reccommended a quality mil spec AR. After doing research he agreed he could get one similar to mine for a little more than a low end gun.

BUT he decided on a FN SCAR. My opinion was he could save a lot, buy a lot of ammo, and get an AR with many more options available by buying a high end AR as opposed to the SCAR.

After more research he decided on the SCAR, and we shot today, quite a bit.

SCAR 16
well balanced
smooth shooter
accurate

BCM Mid 16
well balanced
smooth shooter
accurate

I don't really know if there was a difference in any aspect between the 2, allthough the SCAR may have been a little softer shooting? Could be the difference between piston and DI?
I wish both had better stock triggers. My opinion is all base stock triggers on all my pistols, rifls, and shotguns are not what I would like. It seeems that is the weak link by all. Don't understand why they can't put better triggers in all these things.

My other buddy says the same thing about the differences between his low end non mil spec AR and my higher end mil spec AR. There is not a big differnce in feel and shootability, but I belviee mine will be more reliable and last longer, as well as I have support from a top quality manufacturer.

I don't know or shoot enough about the true tactical differences between the 2, but I really don't see the big advantage of the SCAR platform vs AR considering the big difference in price.

With that said, something about is was very nice, not really sure why, but I kinda want 1, in 308.

Opinions/comments welcome.

advan031
10-01-13, 20:43
I own both and the PWS muzzle break has a lot to do with the SCAR being a soft shooter. Put the same thing on an AR and they shoot the same.

My main gripe about the SCAR is the sling attachments and short rail in stock form.

ptmccain
10-01-13, 20:44
I had a Daniel Defense M4 V1 and a SCAR 16.

I sold the SCAR 16 for $2500, $500 more than I paid for it.

I have a SCAR 17.

If you want a SCAR, get a 17, the SCAR 16 is just not worth it, at all.

Rikakiah
10-01-13, 21:04
The "advantage" of the SCAR is that it looks unique and cool. Otherwise, I think it's largely like comparing Ford to Chevy. If I had the money, I'd get both (right after I got a bunch of HKs).

Although, I also think I'd prefer it in .308, but that might be a bit of practicality, as I imagine the polymer of the SCAR would offset some if the heavier ammo weight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Rikakiah
10-01-13, 22:23
Pardon? I'll assume you're formulating something actually pertinent and productive to the thread instead of just coming across as insulting.

Pray tell, the SCAR isn't unique and cool looking? There are world-changing advantages vs a quality AR? .308 ammo is light and a polymer frame does nothing to save weight?

Are my opinions a definitive perspective between the two? Of course not. Are they valid? Tell me how they're not and we can converse.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Avenger29
10-01-13, 22:37
This thread is an excellent resource for those wanting more information on the SCAR.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62889&highlight=SCAR

Split66
10-01-13, 22:40
Completely unnecessary

Voodoochild

:rolleyes:

nml
10-01-13, 23:26
Pray tell, the SCAR isn't unique and cool looking?No response

.308 ammo is light19x7.62 vs 28x5.56 not a giant difference. maybe like 5 oz but right in the middle of gun, not hanging off the end. maybe 9 oz total but that's w the steel scar mag vs aluminum gi mag, not necessarily ammo difference.

Vegas
10-01-13, 23:47
I had a Daniel Defense M4 V1 and a SCAR 16.

I sold the SCAR 16 for $2500, $500 more than I paid for it.

I have a SCAR 17.

If you want a SCAR, get a 17, the SCAR 16 is just not worth it, at all.

A friend of mine bought his 16 around the time I bought my AR with a DD upper. I shot it and couldn't understand why anyone would buy one in 5.56 when a quality AR was a little over half the price. Other than to look "unique and cool" of course :p

albatrossarmament
10-02-13, 07:15
After years I ended up transitioning to the SCAR. I prefer the 5.56 round, always have and went with the 16. Having always been an AR guy, I too was skeptical at first but the SCAR has proven itself as a better mousetrap..albiet slightly after a couple years of use. Can you get a comparible AR for less..Yes. But just slightly less. What pushed me to the SCAR 16 were a few features:

Reciprocating charging handle. I actually prefer it
Monolithic rail
Free-floated barrel
Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel
Folding stock (flat out not available on the AR)
Folding sights standard
Suppressed/Unsuppressed selector. This is actually a nice feature when switching from can to non-can
Uses mil-spec mags
reliability...My SCAR is not picky with ammo, it feeds cheap-ass Tula just as good as Lake City.
Accuracy
Weight..with all these features its still a lightweight package
Light recoil. I run an AAC blackout flash hider. Recoil is super-soft. I attribute this to the heavy carrier, not the brake or piston.
As for sling swivel options, I run QD sockets, they are available from several manufacturers these days. I feel I lost nothing by switching to the SCAR, even in 5.56 form. And I gained a few features that I prefer over the AR. It did cost probably $300-$500 more, I paid $2150 for mine. But being an investment that has paid off for over two years now, it was well worth it. To the op, your friend did fine going with the SCAR16. If he had the extra money to buy it, then he should enjoy it for years to come. Its a well-designed platform with very few weaknesses.

JSantoro
10-02-13, 08:30
We're not doing yet another daggone AR vs. SCAR thread!

Fact: Use of the Search functions will NOT make one contract either dry or wet leprosy.

Any number of "AR vs SCAR" Search variations punched in will net a metric buttload of results. Neither DD ARs nor SCARs have changed significantly since the LAST time somebody rehashed the topic.