PDA

View Full Version : Honestly what sets a Colt apart from the rest?

JediMindTricks
04-27-08, 09:07
I am still looking for my combat rifle and this is one long tedious process let me tell you. All I want to know is what sets the pony apart from everyone else besides being worth more. If I am able to get an LMT and an Eotech for the price of a Colt then this seems like the more intelligent option, unless the Colt is leaps in bounds better (which I doubt from what everyone says about LMT rifles). Basically I want to know the details. What is in the details of the Colt that make it a Colt.

Please no charts, I've seen them all.

OldNavyGuy
04-27-08, 09:31
Honestly what sets a Colt apart from the rest?

for one thing, Colt was first, and they got it right, then comes the tradition of Colt quality thru the many years of producing the finest weapons a man can own, i.e., Colt/Walker, Colt Single Action Army, and the ever popular and still going strong, Colt M-1911 http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

today there are many high quality firearms and personally i own a few, but this logo seems to attract attention http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Images/colt_logo_s.jpg

i hope this added a little info of what you are looking for.

Robb Jensen
04-27-08, 09:36
If you can get a Colt for the price of an LMT then I would say buy the Colt. I own one of each and like both. I wouldn't say the Colt is leaps and bounds better than the LMT and the LMT typically is $3-400 more around here. If you want best resale value then get the Colt. Both are excellent rifles.

johnson
04-27-08, 09:41
LMT or Colt 6920 (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13672)

New to the forums. I want a serious AR/M4. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10679)

III
04-27-08, 09:58
Full auto ARs are much more temperamental than semi and companies that don't build full auto guns don't really have an opportunity to test there rifles. Colt builds more rifles per wk than most other AR manf/asssemblers do per year. Because they build so many and they build so many full auto guns and how long they have been doing it gives them the most experience in the industry. They have also concentrated on a proven design as opposed to chasing "improvements" which makes things easier. There assembly methods are incredibly efficient and consistent .

rob_s
04-27-08, 10:09
LMT or Colt 6920 (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13672)

New to the forums. I want a serious AR/M4. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10679)

I thought this seemed like deja vu.

Starting to seem like one of those "let me keep asking the same question over and over gain until I get the answer I want" situations.

tinman44
04-27-08, 11:24

Starting to seem like one of those "let me keep asking the same question over and over gain until I get the answer I want" situations.

maybe he wants someone to say "nothing" but i personally believe in you get what you pay for.

JediMindTricks
04-27-08, 11:39

lol, forgive me for wanting to spend my money right the first time....

Alaska
04-27-08, 11:42
Colt just a name, most lower recievers made from the same material and Mil Spec.............AR stands for Armalite which was the first. Colt just won the contract to make them in the 60's.

The Colt have large PINs vs Small pins in all the industry uppers/lowers.

Colt is not the same Colt of yesteryear!

I have a DPMS and Superior Arms Lower and very happy....

Robb Jensen
04-27-08, 11:48
Colt just a name, most lower recievers made from the same material and Mil Spec.............AR stands for Armalite which was the first. Colt just won the contract to make them in the 60's. The Colt have large PINs vs Small pins in all the industry upper/lower.

Colt bought the rights of the AR15 from Armalite.

Fairchild/Armalite and the ArmaLite of today are two entirely different companies.

Same goes for Springfield Armory todays civilian company and the Springfield Armory that made 1903s, M1 Garands and M14s etc are not the same company.

K9-Bob
04-27-08, 11:57
If parts are parts....then buy a Hesse lower and Blackthorne parts.:D

I think that with all things, your milage may vary, but usually you get what you pay for.

rob_s
04-27-08, 12:34
lol, forgive me for wanting to spend my money right the first time....

Three months ago

Awesome! This is what I am going to do. LMT lower and Noveske upper (mid length) when it's available. This appears to be a good set up for me! Thanks all of you.

What happened?

JediMindTricks
04-27-08, 12:36
Three months ago

What happened?

Researching.

LTPhoon
04-27-08, 12:43
Colt just a name, most lower recievers made from the same material and Mil Spec.............AR stands for Armalite which was the first. Colt just won the contract to make them in the 60's.

The Colt have large PINs vs Small pins in all the industry uppers/lowers.

Colt is not the same Colt of yesteryear!

How is the Colt not the same, outside of any improvements over the last 40 years?

rob_s
04-27-08, 12:44
Researching.

What changed? Did you decide something was wrong with your original plan?

I honestly do not understand all this consternation people have over these things.

Which, brings us back to your issue with Colt. Will it perhaps cost $200 more than all your other options? Maybe. But for that extra $200 you get a functional rifle, that will MORE than meet the needs of 99.99% of shooters and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you own one of the best, if not the best, factory built AR15/M4gery on the market.

There is no "best". You can lollygag for another 3 months and the answer won't be any clearer. But the Colt will still be a Colt, it will still have it's resale value if you decide you purchased poorly, and I'll betcha $:donuts that you won't.

Wayne Dobbs
04-27-08, 13:49
The short answer to this tired old dead horse question is that Colt builds guns to the requirements of the TDP.

That's why Colt is the objectively preferred brand in AR. Anytime you hear the words, "Brand X is 'as good as Colt'" you should realize you've just been given a clue.

Ridgerunner665
04-27-08, 13:58
Honestly what sets a Colt apart from the rest?

Less and less everyday.

kingc
04-27-08, 14:17
Let me give it to you in tastes you can confirm........

Colt=Butter

Bushmaster, Hesse, Blackthorne, whatever else=Margarine

Margarine tastes like Butter, but will never be Butter

Butter is always better..

Now Pony up the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and get your research diploma..class is OUT.

RAM Engineer
04-27-08, 15:05
nevermind.

ToddG
04-27-08, 15:09
I honestly do not understand all this consternation people have over these things.

Someone ought to make a list, or no ... a CHART! Yeah, someone out to make some kind of chart so folks could more easily compare the pros and cons of different AR brands.

Just an idea ...

:cool:

texasyid
04-27-08, 15:53
Rob-S
I am starting to like you better all the time. Now if we could just get you to stop wearing that O.J. looking visor and put on a regular ballcap. :)

BushmasterFanBoy
04-27-08, 16:24
Here is what it boils down to. Colt offers an out of the box, no issues AR. Everyone else cuts corners on "the chart" to save a few bucks. If you feel you want to put 1k of ammo and maybe $100 in parts that should have come with the gun to get it "reliable", then by all means buy another brand. If you want a gun that 99% of the time will work 100% out of the box, and comes with some reputation, then buy the Colt. Everything else ends up being a "project gun."

My experience with my two BM ARs leads me to come to a simple conclusion. Most AR's are fine, but you need to put some ammo downrange and if possible, put your AR in some less than ideal circumstances to find what doesn't work. When something breaks or fails to work as intended, upgrade or replace with higher quality.

In short, get an AR and go out and shoot the damn thing. Fix any problems, repeat until something breaks. (And something will always break, eventually...;) )

tinman44
04-27-08, 16:39
Three months ago

What happened?

i did this same type of research for several months and finally bought a colt le6920. i dont regret it but if i could do it all over again i probably would have built a noveske lmt combo cuz screwing around with my rifle thats basically what i have now, but its a colt.

RogerinTPA
04-27-08, 16:48
?

for one thing, Colt was first, and they got it right, then comes the tradition of Colt quality thru the many years of producing the finest weapons a man can own, i.e., Colt/Walker, Colt Single Action Army, and the ever popular and still going strong, Colt M-1911 http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

today there are many high quality firearms and personally i own a few, but this logo seems to attract attention http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Images/colt_logo_s.jpg

i hope this added a little info of what you are looking for.

That logo looks more like a non-heterosexual unicorn than a Colt logo! Is that a lolly pop in it's mouth? :confused:
But I do agree that Colt AR's are very good weapons. If only they would make a mid length in the 6920! I think Noveske N-4 is the cat's ass though.:D

RogerinTPA
04-27-08, 17:00
Someone ought to make a list, or no ... a CHART! Yeah, someone out to make some kind of chart so folks could more easily compare the pros and cons of different AR brands.

Just an idea ...

:cool:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're killing me here!