PDA

View Full Version : Reloading dented cases

yellowfin
10-02-13, 11:11
I just resized some 7.62x54R brass from my PSL which had a dent in them from the shoulder to the body, about the length of a small staple. Upon sizing the dent actually got a bit worse, and is shaped like a kite. Apparently the majority of the dent's size came after the resizing, like I used too much lube, which those are said to be safe usually to shoot. Is it safe to reload these? Or do I need to get a new bolt or extractor for my gun so it doesn't produce any denting if I want to reload brass from it?

Dunno if you can tell from the pic, but it doesn't appear to be piercing into the brass at all, just a dent into it. I've reloaded .223 with a resizing dent smaller than that.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/attachments/424d1380729913t-case-denting-psl-img-20131002-00155.jpg

Airhasz
10-02-13, 11:47
No pic :confused:

yellowfin
10-02-13, 12:22
In case it didn't show up right, here's a direct upload

NWPilgrim
10-02-13, 12:33
That is severe denting. Generally if s case is just dented I load it and it will fire form out. But I throw into salvage any cases with a dent so bad it is a crease.

I don't know the properties of brass well enough to know precisely when a case has been weakened so I error on the side of caution. And when it is a rare occurrence it is no big deal to toss a case now and then. But, if all your cases are being dinged like that you have a problem.

I would definitely try to find a way to tune your rifle so it does not bang the brass up so bad. That is the worst I've seen just from ejection denting.

NWcityguy2
10-02-13, 19:53
Those are reloadable, a crease will pop out the same as a dent.

Eric D.
10-02-13, 20:28
I tend to toss cases that have been dented and creased as well. I think a crease is more prone to cause cracking early on as opposed to a well rounded dent.

Airhasz
10-02-13, 20:37

Not to shoot out of the same gun that is causing the dent...:rolleyes:

NWcityguy2
10-02-13, 22:28
I tend to toss cases that have been dented and creased as well. I think a crease is more prone to cause cracking early on as opposed to a well rounded dent.

I'd love to see some evidence to support that idea. I've never seen it in my years of reloading or on any of the reloading forums I frequent.

Not to shoot out of the same gun that is causing the dent...

They aren't being dented in the chamber, the dent will pop out. If on ejection the brass gets a new dent, then there is a new dent to pop out. Repeat until the neck cracks.

bigedp51
10-02-13, 23:45
I'd love to see some evidence to support that idea. I've never seen it in my years of reloading or on any of the reloading forums I frequent.

Ask and you shall receive at the link below, my question is will these cases fit in a cartridge headspace gauge and chamber properly with the shoulders dented so badly. I toss cases like the ones pictured, its easier to toss the cases than to repair high pressure gas leakage in the eroded chamber.

Reclaiming .223 Rem. Range Brass
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/5437/reclaiming-223-rem-range-brass/

"I also toss any that are severely damaged. Small dents or bent necks are fine, but any major crushing or any dent with a crease is tossed. After sorting, I let the cases dry for about a week, mixing and shaking every day or two to get the water out."

TomD
10-03-13, 02:22
Would like to know what caused that and I would scrap those.

Airhasz
10-03-13, 06:09

They aren't being dented in the chamber, the dent will pop out. If on ejection the brass gets a new dent, then there is a new dent to pop out. Repeat until the neck cracks.

Doesn't seem safe to keep shooting that brass in gun that is causing the extreme metal fatigue. You can go for it, not for me...:D

platoonDaddy
10-03-13, 06:13
I have an issue with dented brass and will not load them. Not worth the risk.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/BuffaloBore_zps7f615fe1.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/BuffaloBore_zps7f615fe1.jpg.html)

NWcityguy2
10-03-13, 19:07
Ask and you shall receive at the link below, my question is will these cases fit in a cartridge headspace gauge and chamber properly with the shoulders dented so badly. I toss cases like the ones pictured, its easier to toss the cases than to repair high pressure gas leakage in the eroded chamber.

Ugh, let me break with down for you. Proof would be tests resulting in damaged chambers or some actual pressure testing. Evidence would be increased velocity or visually observable pressure signs. Opinion is someone writing an internet article saying they do or don't do something (which is what your link goes to, you could quote yourself saying that and it would be the same thing). As I said before, I'd like to at least see some evidence.

Would like to know what caused that and I would scrap those.

Something as uniform as that is always a result of ejection.

Doesn't seem safe to keep shooting that brass in gun that is causing the extreme metal fatigue. You can go for it, not for me...

Eventually the neck will crack. The thing is necks crack all the time. There is nothing unsafe about shooting brass until the neck cracks. People who care about their brass anneal the neck regularly. The whole point of annealing is to relieve metal fatigue. Your solution is to throw away the brass to prevent something that happens with non-dented brass anyway. Regularly... Without any consequence...

No knowledgeable reloader discards brass like that.

Eric D.
10-03-13, 19:25
There may not be any real world evidence but there is reasoning behind not wanting to use severely dented/creased cases. A crease in the brass is a very concentrated and localized deformation. That kind of deformation will create fatigue very quickly and if the brass is going to perforate, its going to be along the crease. Split necks aren't a problem because the case mouth is where the flame front leaves the case and enters the bore. Cracking or splitting elsewhere can damage the chamber or bolt and, if its in the right place, could cause catastrophic failure. I have had cases split along the body with no consequence but its not something I want to happen and I'll what I can to avoid it.

If you're comfortable loading dented/creased brass then go for it, I won't tell you you're wrong. Its something that I and others just choose not to do.

Ryno12
10-03-13, 19:26

I reload my 10mm brass that looks like that. Never had an issue.

Sent via Tapatalk

Airhasz
10-03-13, 23:36
[QUOTE=NWcityguy2;1762906]Ugh, let me break with down for you. Proof would be tests resulting in damaged chambers or some actual pressure testing. Evidence would be increased velocity or visually observable pressure signs. Opinion is someone writing an internet article saying they do or don't do something (which is what your link goes to, you could quote yourself saying that and it would be the same thing). As I said before, I'd like to at least see some evidence.

I wasn't talking about the neck cracking.

Eventually the neck will crack. The thing is necks crack all the time. There is nothing unsafe about shooting brass until the neck cracks. People who care about their brass anneal the neck regularly. The whole point of annealing is to relieve metal fatigue. Your solution is to throw away the brass to prevent something that happens with non-dented brass anyway. Regularly... Without any consequence...

I wasn't talking about the neck cracking. You clearly did not concentrate on my post to make more neck cracking comments. Everyone knows the neck cracks, not what this threads about.

platoonDaddy
10-04-13, 00:11
I reload my 10mm brass that looks like that. Never had an issue.

Sent via Tapatalk

If you aren't using a 24 pound spring, give it a try and see if it solves your dented issue. Following are LoneWolf part nbrs & description:

ISM-GLF-24 ISM Full Size 24 lb Recoil Spring
LWD-GR2021 LWD S/S Guide Rod for G20,20SF,21,21SF

Ryno12
10-04-13, 05:39
If you aren't using a 24 pound spring, give it a try and see if it solves your dented issue. Following are LoneWolf part nbrs & description:

ISM-GLF-24 ISM Full Size 24 lb Recoil Spring
LWD-GR2021 LWD S/S Guide Rod for G20,20SF,21,21SF

You're correct. I usually have my 6" SL barrel, Wolff guide rod & 23# spring installed & my brass is fine. When I'm not running my hunting setup, which is rare, I get those dents.

Sent via Tapatalk

NWcityguy2
10-04-13, 19:35
I wasn't talking about the neck cracking. You clearly did not concentrate on my post to make more neck cracking comments. Everyone knows the neck cracks, not what this threads about.

That's what happens though. As an seasoned reloader who doesn't shy away from dented and creased casings I know this from actual experience. I'm not here speculating on things I have no hands on experience with like you.

Airhasz
10-04-13, 19:48
Don't speculate, I have loaded well over 10K in rifle alone in the last year and a half. Do not act like you are the only person to run brass through a press on this site, no shortage of experience on M4C.

Alaskapopo
10-05-13, 01:22

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/BuffaloBore_zps7f615fe1.jpg (http://s933.photobucket.com/user/slickville/media/BuffaloBore_zps7f615fe1.jpg.html)

You are worrying for nothing. That brass is fine. Just shoot the dent out and carry on.
Pat