PDA

View Full Version : Got my 6920 today

jhfc
10-02-13, 17:07
Picked up my first AR-type rifle today from the local FFL.

Can't wait to shoot it; maybe this weekend if time and weather permit. It's been raining like crazy here.

A couple of questions:

1. I wasn't sure what stock would come on the rifle, mostly expecting the Rogers SS. Instead, I think I have the USGI stock. 3 positions. Did Colt stop using the Rogers SS? I like the factory stock just fine, whatever it is.

2. In the safety and instruction manual, there is a scary warning in orange about the risk of accidental discharge when a round is fed into the chamber (slamfire?), the gun is dropped or the muzzle receives a blow, regardless of hammer position or safety devices. Is this lawyer speak or a risk beyond other firearms? I don't recall similar warnings in other firearm manuals, but my memory is not the best.

Please take all with a dose of vitamin noob. I'm no beginner with firearms, but this is my first AR.

CrazyFingers
10-02-13, 17:43
To answer question #2:
The AR-15 does not have any kind of firing pin capture spring. It uses a plain old free-floating firing pin that slides back and forth when a round is chambered.
No commercially available or military surplus ammunition should present any problems with this, as the primer cup is much to hard to ignite except from a blow from the hammer when fired.
Now, if you were to use reloads that have a soft primer, then all kinds of interesting Bad Things(tm) might occur.

So don't do that. :D

ex95B10
10-02-13, 17:56
Do we get to see your new AR?

Pics or it didn't happen.

Kokopelli
10-02-13, 18:33
Indeed! Post a few pics.. Congratulations.. Ron

Double3
10-02-13, 18:43
The last couple new 6920s I've seen had the standard M4 stock and not the Rogers.

They must have run out of them.

FAB45
10-02-13, 18:50
Pics or a lie :dance3:

Airhasz
10-02-13, 20:57
Congrads are in order on a new Colt. Just another reminder we are waiting on the pics...:D

tog
10-02-13, 21:15
What magazine did it come with? Cleaning kit? MBUS or carry handle? Facts man!

I-M4-REAL
10-02-13, 21:25
Hell Yeah! Lets see that virgin M$ rollmark!... Oop's,.. sorry,.. I meant "M4" rollmark!
Congrats- Enjoy- Be Safe!

Doug in Alaska
10-02-13, 21:30
Congratulations on the 6920, you are going to love it! My wife bought one for me in June as a birthday gift. This past weekend I did a three day tactical carbine class with it, wow! One thousand rounds down the tube and not a single hiccup! :)

krisjon
10-02-13, 21:51
Welcome to the madness...

itsjimmyo
10-02-13, 22:25
I love my 6920 .. have fun

Iraqgunz
10-02-13, 22:35
Let's not turn this into Facebook or Twitter. He asked some valid questions and we can address them. If he wants to post pics we have a place for them as well.

Redbeardsong
10-02-13, 23:05
I've heard from a source at Colt that they will not be using the Rogers stock any more, so it's possible you got a recently shipped gun with the M4 stock.

Or, perhaps you have a 6920 SOCOM, which always came with the M4 stock.

RWH24
10-03-13, 00:28
File Photo from link below.

http://clydearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/l/clyde_armory_le6920mpb.jpg

http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920mp-black.html?SID=mgoi2c10s7phb31bnhl3367bj2

texasgunhand
10-03-13, 12:22
Any thing with a free float pin could hit the primer, but i have an old sks that dent every primer that it chambers and has not gone off ever and i meen it hits them hard. its scary bad!

I just had this talk with a friend that says every m-4 he has on his range dents primers.but mine doesnt..and the Washington prison system uses a lot of rock rivers to train with,maybe its a RRA thing?

Be sure and clean and lube her up good and go have some fun!

Abraham
10-03-13, 15:28
Is it possible you have a Magpul configuration?

Did it come with Vertical Grip you have to install yourself? Mine did.

As to lawyer speak, I haven't seen anyone specifically address that, but my guess would be, yes, it's a liability disclaimer.

jhfc
10-03-13, 16:45
So the details are: 1 Magpul 30 round magazine, no sling, no cleaning kit, one quick release sling attachment (probably for the non-existent Rogers stock) and a chamber flag! No vertical grip or carry handle. MBUS back up iron sight.

Hoping to get out to the range this weekend, but it's not looking too good.

Say hello to my little friend!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oMhEH4WWCaA/Uk3DSAYZs7I/AAAAAAAAAZo/mTnbjkjt92k/w1220-h688-no/2013-10-03_08-12-02_524.jpg

Yum.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ldHSiefoK1E/Uk3YoLl__qI/AAAAAAAAAaI/M7jcx-GsK-4/w1220-h688-no/2013-10-03_13-46-53_139.jpg

ex95B10
10-03-13, 17:04
She's a beauty!
Will you be building on it or keeping it stock?

jhfc
10-03-13, 17:11
Thanks!

My initial plan is to leave it mostly alone. I might upgrade the trigger and eventually put some kind of optics on it. Dry firing it a couple of times, trigger didn't seem too bad out of the box.

Being my "first" AR (GF giving dirty look again), I'll take it slow, learn about it a bit and then build another one. Maybe give one to my son when he turns 18.

But for now, I just want to shoot the thing.

Iraqgunz
10-03-13, 18:29
All the Colts I have seen had a cleaning kit and sling included. I would make an inquiry in the event that the LGS pulled it out. It's happened before.

So the details are: 1 Magpul 30 round magazine, no sling, no cleaning kit, one quick release sling attachment (probably for the non-existent Rogers stock) and a chamber flag! No vertical grip or carry handle. MBUS back up iron sight.

Hoping to get out to the range this weekend, but it's not looking too good.

Say hello to my little friend!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oMhEH4WWCaA/Uk3DSAYZs7I/AAAAAAAAAZo/mTnbjkjt92k/w1220-h688-no/2013-10-03_08-12-02_524.jpg

Yum.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ldHSiefoK1E/Uk3YoLl__qI/AAAAAAAAAaI/M7jcx-GsK-4/w1220-h688-no/2013-10-03_13-46-53_139.jpg

Swag
10-03-13, 18:32
Dirty looks from GF? Meh...That's what new purses are made for. Grats on the rifle.

Javelin
10-03-13, 18:40
All the Colts I have seen had a cleaning kit and sling included. I would make an inquiry in the event that the LGS pulled it out. It's happened before.

Yeah cause some of those SOBs think they can get away with it and make an extra couple bucks. Saw that happen with Glock magazines when purchased through the GSSF program and the guy at the counter was packing away the 3rd mag and only give the guy 2. This industry is full of scammers.

jhfc
10-03-13, 18:42
Only got a dirty look from the GF because she wants her gun to be next in the queue.

From what I've read (and what the dealer's site mentioned), no more sling or cleaning kit included.

weez440
10-03-13, 18:47
this is what grant said last spring so that clarifies that the gun doesn't come with sling or cleaning kit. just build the gf a rifle and you then have a shooting buddy.

Got a handful of these in the other day. Colt has changed how the LE6920 is configured and what comes with it quite a bit.

They have stopped shipping the guns with the removeable carry handle and now use the Magpul MBUS 2.

They have stopped including the cleaning kit and sling. Instead of the two 20rd USGI mags, you now get one (black) M3 PMAG.

npthaiduong
10-03-13, 19:30
Congrats with your first rifle. I did consider to get the 6920 but then decided to get the KAC SR15 instead. You will enjoy the 6920 for sure

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

C4IGrant
10-03-13, 20:05
Picked up my first AR-type rifle today from the local FFL.

Can't wait to shoot it; maybe this weekend if time and weather permit. It's been raining like crazy here.

A couple of questions:

1. I wasn't sure what stock would come on the rifle, mostly expecting the Rogers SS. Instead, I think I have the USGI stock. 3 positions. Did Colt stop using the Rogers SS? I like the factory stock just fine, whatever it is.

Yes, they stopped using them.

2. In the safety and instruction manual, there is a scary warning in orange about the risk of accidental discharge when a round is fed into the chamber (slamfire?), the gun is dropped or the muzzle receives a blow, regardless of hammer position or safety devices. Is this lawyer speak or a risk beyond other firearms? I don't recall similar warnings in other firearm manuals, but my memory is not the best.

Please take all with a dose of vitamin noob. I'm no beginner with firearms, but this is my first AR.

Lawyer speak.

C4

C4IGrant
10-03-13, 20:06

They stopped including the sling and cleaning kit early this year.

C4

Race121
10-03-13, 20:27
For what it's worth....I bought my 6920 mid June, Magpul edition, M4 rollmark. It came with cleaning kit, sling, vertical grip, 2 30rd pmags, no carry handle.

PaLEOjd
10-03-13, 21:40
Congrats on your purchase, good choice. You are not missing anything by not getting the Rogers SS. Buy some extra mags and ammo, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone4S
using Tapatalk

fdxpilot
10-03-13, 21:55
Dirty looks from GF? Meh...That's what new purses are made for. Grats on the rifle.

I find assorted jewelry also works well.

Javelin
10-03-13, 22:19
http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/how-mad-is-she-flowers1.jpg?w=600&h=350

TerdFergison
10-03-13, 23:26
I just bought 2 LE6920's (Black & FDE)within the last 2 months and no sling or cleaning kit in either one. I watched the dealer cut the tape on both boxes to verify SN's. Not a big deal because I have my own slings and cleaning kits that I prefer.

Iraqgunz
10-04-13, 05:06
Those b*stards.

C4

tpevan
10-04-13, 09:21

C4

No real loss there...

Congrats on your purchase, good choice. You are not missing anything by not getting the Rogers SS. Buy some extra mags and ammo, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone4S
using Tapatalk

Agreed very much. I purchased my LE6920 back in Dec '12 and it had the Roger's SuperStoc. The Roger's is ok, but there are much better options out there as far as ergonomics go (i.e. B5, Magpul, Vltor). I tossed mine and went with a B5 Bravo Sopmod.

Tacteam
10-04-13, 09:50
Yeah cause some of those SOBs think they can get away with it and make an extra couple bucks. Saw that happen with Glock magazines when purchased through the GSSF program and the guy at the counter was packing away the 3rd mag and only give the guy 2. This industry is full of scammers.

If you notify Glock of this, they will send someone to investigate and if they find that the dealer is removing mags they will pull their GSSF program. It happened to a couple of lgs here in Az.

texasgunhand
10-05-13, 01:24
If you notify Glock of this, they will send someone to investigate and if they find that the dealer is removing mags they will pull their GSSF program. It happened to a couple of lgs here in Az.

This is great to hear there are so many crooks out there!!

cop1211
10-05-13, 08:37
Can't go wrong with a Colt.

Bello
10-05-13, 09:02
I'm happy with my 6920 had to make a couple upgrades but overall happy just need a nickel boron bolt now

tog
10-05-13, 09:56
I picked up my 6920 last Feb. No cleaning kit, sling, and only one pmag. I'm leaving mine stock as it's mass just feels right. The only thing that I might add is the Aimpoint-pro. Congrats on your new rifle.

Uni-Vibe
10-05-13, 15:12
I picked up my 6920 last Feb. No cleaning kit, sling, and only one pmag. I'm leaving mine stock as it's mass just feels right. The only thing that I might add is the Aimpoint-pro. Congrats on your new rifle.

New Colts come with a Pmag? I though they issued a 20 round NHMTG/ Colt?

tog
10-05-13, 16:21
New Colts come with a Pmag? I though they issued a 20 round NHMTG/ Colt?

Just one 30 rnd pmag with mine. Others have stated the same. Some-like the magpul addition-came with two pmags. Others came with two aluminum 20 rounders. At least this is what I have seen over the past couple of years.

TerdFergison
10-05-13, 17:34
In CA no pmag, just 1 crappy metal 10 round mag.

Doug in Alaska
10-05-13, 19:56
I got my SOCOM in June and it came with one aluminum, 30 round, Colt mag.

TBomb
10-05-13, 20:04
I'm happy with my 6920 had to make a couple upgrades but overall happy just need a nickel boron bolt now

I can think of quite a few things that one would need before a nickel boron anything.

ex95B10
10-05-13, 20:39
In CA no pmag, just 1 crappy metal 10 round mag.

Is 10 rounds the max for Cali or could you go to 20?

TBomb
10-05-13, 21:13

10 rounds max.

NYH1
10-07-13, 00:25
Being my "first" AR (GF giving dirty look again)
When my does that (my wife that is). . . . .I just remind her that she was the one that bought me my last one. "My logic is. . . . .if she can buy them so can I". She just doesn't get it!

Nice AR. She bought me the same one last Christmas. I put a Aimpoint PRO on mine, check them out. They're a great deal IMO. A good sling and white light setup might be worth checking out too.

Good luck, NYH1.

greyeyezz
10-07-13, 09:38
Got mine in August, Rogers SS, magpull BUS, one 30 p-mag.

Somnus
10-08-13, 07:47
I don't dislike my Rogers super stock. Locks up fairly tight with decent cheek weld for me. I like the Ctr and Str better though!

Cashflow
10-08-13, 08:02
I like the Rogers also. I have bought some takeoffs to put on a couple of builds. I have one on my 6.8 SPC because I like the way they lock up.

Not as nice as my Magpul UBR but not near as costly either. Just my humble two cents.

TerdFergison
10-08-13, 17:52

10 round is Max unless you want to go to prison.

ex95B10
10-09-13, 05:51
10 round is Max unless you want to go to prison.Does this limit apply to handguns as well?

britishtq
10-10-13, 03:40
That's a good little rifle OP, I shot one and had no complaints.

fido4x
10-10-13, 17:00
Only got a dirty look from the GF because she wants her gun to be next in the queue.

From what I've read (and what the dealer's site mentioned), no more sling or cleaning kit included.

Mine looks exactly the same except that it has more Magpul furniture attached like the vertical grip. Same stamp though. It was purchased in Dec '12 from local LGS and did come with a sling and cleaning kit. I like it a lot.

Airhasz
10-10-13, 18:47
Does this limit apply to handguns as well?

Main article: Gun laws in California
Subject/Law Long guns Handguns Relevant Statutes Notes
State Permit to Purchase? No Partial* §26500, §12071, §12082 All firearm sales (except long guns more than 50 years old) must be completed through a dealer. *Handgun purchases require a Handgun Safety Certificate and proof of residency.
Firearm registration? No Yes §12025 and §12031 All handgun serial numbers and sales are recorded by the state (registered) in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. Long arm serial numbers are not recorded, only the sale. While there is no requirement for California residents to register previously owned handguns or firearms with law enforcement, §12025 and §12031 enhance several misdemeanor offenses to felonies if the handgun is not on file in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. California §12025 states that handguns must be transported unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility box in a motor vehicle. A "locked container" is further defined to mean "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device." New residents must register handguns (purchased outside of California) with DOJ within 60 days.
Owner license required? No No None
"Assault weapon" law? Yes Yes §12280, §12285 Illegal to possess, import, or purchase assault weapons and .50 BMG rifles, unless such weapons were acquired by the owner prior to June 1, 1989. Legally defined assault weapons and .50 BMG rifles listed by make and model by the DOJ must be registered. Their sale and transfer is prohibited. Military look-alike rifles that are not chambered for .50 BMG and are not on the DOJ roster are legal to purchase or possess, with some restrictions in configuration – known as "banned features." Active-duty military members residing out of state and assigned to duty in California may bring personally-owned assault weapons into the state. The military member's residence must be in a state that permits private citizens to own and possess assault weapons, and the firearms must be registered with the California Department of Justice prior to the servicemember's arrival in California by submitting the registration form with a copy of the member's Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.
Magazine Capacity Restriction? Yes Yes §12020 It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, cause to be manufactured, keep for sale, or offer or expose for sale, or give or lend, any large-capacity magazine. A large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds, a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. However, the possession of large capacity magazines purchased outside CA (and not imported by means of interstate commerce), is legal except in the city and county of Los Angeles.
Carry permits issued? Yes Yes §12050 May issue, depending on jurisdiction. County sheriff's or local Police Chief's discretion, many counties are de facto "no-issue," while others are "shall-issue" in practice. CCW permits valid statewide. Out-of-state permits not valid in California.
Open Carry? Partial* Partial* §26350 *Long guns may be carried in unincorporated rural areas where open carry is permitted by local ordinance. In a county with a population of less than 200,000 residents, a permit to carry a handgun "loaded and exposed" may be issued by the county sheriff.
State Preemption of local restrictions? Yes Yes §53701 GC Most but not all local restrictions preempted.
Castle Doctrine Law? Yes Yes California never requires a duty to retreat whether in your own home or not. Legal presumption that an intruder poses a deadly threat if in your own home or property that is owned and controlled by yourself.
NFA weapons restricted? Yes Yes §12220, §12020, §12020 Possession of automatic weapons or short-barreled shotguns or rifles prohibited without DOJ "Dangerous Weapons Permit"; permission rarely granted outside of film industry. Suppressors (aka silencers) prohibited. Destructive devices are prohibited unless are designated as curios & relics, in which case a collectors permit can be obtained. The only AOW's that are permitted are smoothbore pistols and firearms with a combination of a smoothbore and rifle barrel.
Peaceable Journey laws? No No None Federal rules observed.

PaLEOjd
10-30-13, 14:28

Why would you NEED a nickel boron bolt? To many people are caught up in the flash of shiny stuff with a lot of hype pushing the product. There should be nothing wrong with the factory Colt bolt that you so badly need to replace.
Do yourself a favor, stay away from the snake oil and get yourself an Aimpoint for your 6920. It will serve you much better than a flashy bolt.

Sent from my iPhone4S
using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tylerw02
10-30-13, 14:44
Why would you NEED a nickel boron bolt? To many people are caught up in the flash of shiny stuff with a lot of hype pushing the product. There should be nothing wrong with the factory Colt bolt that you so badly need to replace.
Do yourself a favor, stay away from the snake oil and get yourself an Aimpoint for your 6920. It will serve you much better than a flashy bolt.

Sent from my iPhone4S
using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

^This is good logic. I suggest you listen. You'll get much more utility out of the Aimpoint, or even extra magazines and ammunition. Pick up 300 extra rounds and a training course.

ETA: In December, the 6920s had cleaning kits and two 20s. In March I had to verify SNs and cut some Colt boxes open to find only a manual and single 30-round P-mag.

badness
10-30-13, 14:51
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=1040

3ACR_Scout
10-30-13, 16:39
Active-duty military members residing out of state and assigned to duty in California may bring personally-owned assault weapons into the state. The military member's residence must be in a state that permits private citizens to own and possess assault weapons, and the firearms must be registered with the California Department of Justice prior to the servicemember's arrival in California by submitting the registration form with a copy of the member's Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.

Thanks for posting that information - that's good to know. While I hope that I won't be stationed in CA (Irwin is not my favorite place), I'm glad that they make provisions for military despite all the other issues with that state. I wasn't sure what I would have to do if I was ever assigned there.

On the 6920 topic, I'd like to get one eventually to configure like the ones I carried overseas - no contemporary bells and whistles, just the regular KAC RAS and an ACOG or M68. I did manage to use a CTR on one tour (SOPMOD on my first trip) so that might be the only non-standard upgrade. I'd also like to find a 6921 with pinned muzzle device to get as close to my old M4 as possible.

Dave

STG44*
10-31-13, 07:32
Can't go wrong with a Colt. :cool. Pete

Pilot1
10-31-13, 08:24
I bought my Colt M4/LE6920 last December, 2012. I got the Magpul edition with black receiver, and FDE furniture. It came with sling, cleaning kit, and one 30 round PMAG. I really like it, and it is my favorite rifle. I always wanted one, and finally got one at the right time, and at a great price.

Enjoy yours, they are great as is or customized. Mine is being left stock, except I did install a slightly larger Magpul butt plate to give me a longer LOP.

Pappabear
10-31-13, 10:33

C4

That being said, I have two slings and two cleaning kits I'm selling for $400 each. :D

Abraham
10-31-13, 10:37
I wonder why there's so much disparity with what each LE6920 comes with?

How much of what you don't get is reflected in the cost?

I paid $1097 for the Rogers stock version, if you will, and $1147 for the Magpul configuration. No sling or cleaning kit. One 30 Pmag and Magpul BUIS each.

tylerw02
10-31-13, 12:02
I think part may have to do with what was available when it was made, part cost-cutting, and part trying to make it a more attractive package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

The_One
12-13-13, 13:32
For what it's worth....I bought my 6920 mid June, Magpul edition, M4 rollmark. It came with cleaning kit, sling, vertical grip, 2 30rd pmags, no carry handle.
This is what mine came from that I purchased last week.

jhfc
12-13-13, 13:57
Took my new 6920 to the range a few weeks back and put a hundred rounds or so through it.

Accuracy was quite a bit better than the mini-14 I also had with me.

Trigger on the Colt is quite grainy and creepy. Maybe with time it will get better? Dry firing a few hundred times? Even so, it wasn't hard to get it to group nicely.

I can see a replacement trigger would be one of the first things to change. But, I'll keep it as is for a while and then look at getting a better trigger.

CXXX
12-18-13, 15:21
I picked up 2 new LE 6920 M4 Carbines last Friday, neither had a cleaning kit or sling. Both had 1 30 round Gen 2 PMAG

1. LE6920 sn 2636xx has the Rogers Super Stock $1100

2. LE6920MP-B sn 3028xx Black MagPul $1140

I got them sealed from my dealer and opened them myself at home. I was glad to get the Rogers SS.