PDA

View Full Version : Red dot problems?

mastiffhound
10-02-13, 19:37
I've been looking into red dot sights just to maybe try something new. Today at the LGS I looked through an EoTech, a Strikefire, and a Spark. Now just to be clear I did not get the starburst effect that those with astigmatism get. Instead, I saw small lines inside of the blob like dot. The dot wasn't uniform in color either, some lines were brighter or darker than others. The lines didn't change unless I went off center, then I got different lines and the blob changed shape. I have had an eye exam every year and have always had superb vision. No astigmatism, no glasses, or contacts. I can read the smallest print on paper and see things from a distance that others don't. My mom used to call me to come over and thread her needles after I moved out.

I got the same effect from each optic. None of the dots looked the same, they were akin to snowflakes only not symmetrical. When two others looked, one who wears glasses and one who said he had astigmatism, they both had different answers. Glasses said slight starburst, astigmatism said full on starburst. So what the hell? I can't imagine that my sight would be good enough to pick out small imperfections in the glass? The blob changing shape and the lines changing is just weird. Anyone have an answer?:confused:

GH41
10-03-13, 06:28
Have you tried looking at the target and not the dot?? GH

Hmac
10-03-13, 06:41
You're focusing on the dot. That's not the way it works. The dot is projected onto the same plane as the target. You have to focus on the target.

SteveL
10-03-13, 08:08
With regard to the Eotech you should be aware that the reticle is made up of small dots like pixels on a TV rather than being a solid image so it doesn't necessarily look ultra smooth. I don't know about the other two you mentioned.

Also astigmatism can produce any number of artifacts, not just the typical starburst, halo, or comet tail. It could be that you have a small degree of astigmatism (not enough to otherwise affect your vision negatively) that you've never noticed before. It seems that RDS often make people notice imperfections in their own eyesight that they've never noticed before.

As others have said, when you look through one of these optics focus on the target rather than on the dot/reticle. Also make sure you don't have them turned up too bright. You want to turn the intensity up enough that you can easily/quickly pick it up, but not so much that it blooms, distorts, or overpowers everything else in your visual field. Depending on the store you're shopping at, ask the salesman if you can step outside with it. You'll sometimes see a big difference looking through a RDS outside in the sunlight as opposed to the fluorescent lighting in the store.

vandal5
10-03-13, 13:19
As others have said, when you look through one of these optics focus on the target rather than on the dot/reticle. Also make sure you don't have them turned up too bright. You want to turn the intensity up enough that you can easily/quickly pick it up, but not so much that it blooms, distorts, or overpowers everything else in your visual field. Depending on the store you're shopping at, ask the salesman if you can step outside with it. You'll sometimes see a big difference looking through a RDS outside in the sunlight as opposed to the fluorescent lighting in the store.

I agree with Steve on this, I used to have a sparc and it would look like a series of dots while in was inside but normal outside. I would function check in the basement as that is where my safe is before going to the range and it always looked funny.

mastiffhound
10-03-13, 18:19
I did try looking at the target, a big buck head at the other side of the store, no dice. I might have to try it outside if they will let me, they know me and have an intimate relationship with money that used to belong to me so they probably will. If not or that doesn't work then I just have to stick to scopes, granted not the worst thing in the world I guess.

Hmac
10-03-13, 20:00
Like looking across the store through a magnified scope you're not familiar with in fluorescent lighting using a demo with fingerprints all over lens. I've been there. No relationship whatsoever to looking through the same scope at a buck 75 yards away from your tree stand at dawn. You say you have no astigmatism. OK. That means that you should have no problem with a functional quality red dot sight when it's mounted on your rifle and pointed at a target 50 yards away if it's set to the correct brightness and you are focused on the target.

Eotech reticles are made up of many, many individual 1 MOA pixels, but the pixel in the center of the reticle, the actual aiming dot, is one pixel. If it appears as some kind of kaleidoscope to you, it's either defective, you're using it wrong, it's set too bright, or you have astigmatism.

It's true, there are a lot of good magnified optics out there that may function better for you. But if you have an actual need for an RDS, you should find a buddy with one, take it out to the range and shoot with it. In-store evaluations.....hmmm...that ain't gonna help.

MrCleanOK
10-03-13, 21:15
...If not or that doesn't work then I just have to stick to scopes...

Okay, so you obviously have some experience with magnified optics. You're not the first person with prior scope experience to do it wrong when they get their hands on a red dot type sight. Most of the folks like this that I have encountered are still trying to look at the reticle in the optic like it's a scope crosshair, then superimpose that on the target. With a red dot, keep both eyes open and look at the target just as you normally would, nothing different. Then, move the optic into your field of view, and the reticle will appear downrange. I describe it to people as looking "past" the optic, not "through" it. As others have said, you need to have the brightness dialed in correctly too. Just bright enough that it stands out readily in the ambient light.

Best of luck to you!