PDA

View Full Version : My experiment: dirt/fine sand 442

warpedcamshaft
10-02-13, 23:47
Despite my search efforts, I was surprised how little actual non-theoretical information is available regarding revolvers when exposed to dirt and sand.

Long story short, I got sick of anecdotal bull crap regarding revolvers and decided to see for myself what happened to a 442 (no lock, over 1000 rounds fired) when exposed to sand and dirt. (I love having a private range and the ability to screw around...) My range has some plain heavy top soil, and also some very fine sand.

My testing protocol was: 2 shots were fired before the firearm was dropped. The weapon was buried, agitated in the material, stepped on lightly, and then picked up. I checked the bore and cylinders for obstructions... and observed the function before firing.

After that, I fired a failure drill at 7 yards on an IPSC target, and then reloaded from a safariland comp 1 speed loader. Ammunition was standard pressure American Eagle 158 grain Lead Round Nose (AE38B)

I did the above scenario 2 times in both semi wet topsoil and very fine dry sand.

After the testing, I completely stripped, inspected, and cleaned the revolver and removed all potentially abrasive material. I understand the potential risks of such a test and am not interested in lectures regarding the matter... I simply hope this expands practical knowledge regarding J-frames.

My observations:

1: I was expecting much more fine sand to enter the action of the revolver. The trigger pull was slightly gritty, but definitely very usable. I actually tried pouring sand into the action, but the revolver was very well sealed.

2: The cylinder stop notches must be somewhat clean for proper function. If dirt clings to the cylinder and stop notches, the cylinder lock function of the revolver was compromised. Wet dirt clung to the inside of the stop notch, while dry sand did not. (When you consider the actual upward force exerted on the cylinder stop via the cylinder stop spring, it is not a surprise that minimal obstruction of the stop notches can impede the proper function of the weapon.)

3: I could not eject the casings in any of the above scenarios using just the ejector itself. Particulate matter seemed to lock the casings to the cylinder wall and I had to clear some of the casings manually. (I use an ejector rod palm strike method rather than thumb ejection.)

4: I would not want to fire a revolver that was exposed to the above conditions without first opening the cylinder and clearing dirt or mud from the cylinder and cylinder stop notches. This process only takes moments, but seems be necessary for proper function if the weapon was exposed to clingy soil.

5: Obviously, with any firearm... you will need to check for bore obstructions before firing.

6: During inspection after the above testing, I discovered very little particulate matter inside the revolver action.

In the end, this test actually bolstered my confidence in the J-frame for carry.

I only took 1 photo with my phone... I am sorry, but that is all I had for photon recording devices:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/photo2.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/warpedcamshaft/media/photo2.jpg.html)

warpedcamshaft
10-02-13, 23:58
Observant observers may notice that the 442 is equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips... just as a note... I taped over the port in the grip through which the laser beam is projected in order to avoid occluding the laser or introducing sand or dirt to the mechanism and electronics.

PriseDeFer
10-07-13, 08:53
Most excellent and outstanding. Thank you for doing the test and posting it. Good photo. I have a 442 and will keep those stop notches in mind. Thanks again.

TahoeLT
10-07-13, 15:19
Nicely done. I'm impressed it still ran well.

A few years back I was going through a "jungle run" and said, "hey, the SEALS use the P226 so it must be GTG with sand and salt water, right?" Tossed it into a sand pile and kicked it around a bit, then ran it again--and it lasted a few rounds and the grit locked it up.

Sand is rarely a firearm's friend!

10-10-13, 07:25
My experience with blowing sand was that magazines jammed due to a grain or two acting like a wheel chock between the rounds and magazine body.

mkmckinley
10-13-13, 08:21
Great writeup. I had some fine grit find its way into my 642 and the main issues were gritty action and trigger reset failure. I ended up having to take the side plate of and hit it with brake cleaner.