PDA

View Full Version : Solution to short stroking?

djegators
10-03-13, 23:20
Just saw this video, and well, I can't help but think there is more to the problem than stated. Am I off base here, or is there simply not enough info to say for sure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL808lxdEsA&feature=youtu.be

texasgunhand
10-03-13, 23:37
It still has an ftf on the last round shown.it would probably help if he held the rifle tight it looks like hes shooting a 50 cal. with the recoil.
look at the neck of the cases, at first i thought it was blanks...

lunchbox
10-03-13, 23:46
If your gas port is out of spec, gas block misaligned, # of other things, no amount of bore lapping is going to fix it. Snake oil I say, but hey I may be wrong. Dunno..

justin_247
10-04-13, 00:00
Weak ammo + too heavy of a buffer?

JSantoro
10-04-13, 07:40
"...frosty cases..." :rolleyes:

Well, at least he's not doing what folks do with that gender-nonspecific ejection pattern chart, and using "frosty cases" as a stand-alone indicator. At least there's a no-kidding malfunction present, first. THAT'S a positive step, though not describing any process (presuming there WAS one) to eliminate all of the other, usual culprits BEFORE reaching for something abrasive does a fantastic job of utterly negating it.

Absent such, reasonable to presume that there was no such troubleshooting string done. OTOH, presuming that he DID eliminate all other possibilities, we're left with a bad decision as to what is or is not worthwhile info for their viewers.

Hell, ratcheting the nearest tinfoil hat snugly onto my dome....nothing indicates they're even finishing up with the same gun, ffs. Presume the same gun...what's to prove that they did anything to it at all, other than change amo or lube the thing correctly?

Law of Unintended Consequences practically guarantees that hordes of retards who watch that and have the least little smudge on their expended brass are gonna be packing Flitz and whatnot into their chambers, malfunction or no.

Thing's good for kinda-sorta showing what a short-stroke LOOKS like in sorta-slow-motion. At best, it's endstate is the result of an incomplete process. At worst, it's an irresponsible, self-serving advertisement for a lapping compound that's gonna be enormously helpful in folks derping their guns.

Iraqgunz
10-04-13, 08:13
Way too much information is missing and anyone who follows that advice deserves what they get.

djegators
10-04-13, 08:15
Since I somwhat know Serbu, and we have associates in common, I won't question the integrity aspect of it without knowing more. He also has been in manufacturing for some time, but as far as I know, his expertise does not lie in ARs.

My first thought, as a non-expert, is that polishing a chamber would be very low on my list of things to check, and if it were the problem, I would not be very excited about that brand of barrels, which he does not state.

sinister
10-04-13, 09:01
The video posted in original post shows the bolt carrier (in the last shot) locked to the rear with what looks like the bolt catch locked on the front of the bolt carrier (vice the bolt face).

Weak ammo or not enough gas looks like the culprit.

JSantoro
10-04-13, 09:39
without knowing more.

That's the center of gravity as to why it's assed up, not necessarily the dude. There's no "more."

For all we know, taking abrasives to it WAS the answer all along, and all other possibilities eliminated.

The way the vid is made, to the eyes of someone used to competent troubleshoting, evokes "Here, we can detect the sound of hoofbeats. Forget about horses, or cows, or deer. Must be frickin zebras..."

For all we know, all the stuff that led up to that point is on the Bloopers/Outtakes reel because the editor didn't think the necessary, mundane troubleshooting crap was enough of a hook for the audience.

No matter how it was arrived at...be it intent, ignorance or just poor presentation...bad gouge is bad gouge.

lunchbox
10-04-13, 09:39
"...frosty cases..." :rolleyes:

Well, at least he's not doing what folks do with that gender-nonspecific ejection pattern chart, and using "frosty cases" as a stand-alone indicator. At least there's a no-kidding malfunction present, first. THAT'S a positive step, though not describing any process (presuming there WAS one) to eliminate all of the other, usual culprits BEFORE reaching for something abrasive does a fantastic job of utterly negating it.

Absent such, reasonable to presume that there was no such troubleshooting string done. OTOH, presuming that he DID eliminate all other possibilities, we're left with a bad decision as to what is or is not worthwhile info for their viewers.

Hell, ratcheting the nearest tinfoil hat snugly onto my dome....nothing indicates they're even finishing up with the same gun, ffs. Presume the same gun...what's to prove that they did anything to it at all, other than change amo or lube the thing correctly?

Law of Unintended Consequences practically guarantees that hordes of retards who watch that and have the least little smudge on their expended brass are gonna be packing Flitz and whatnot into their chambers, malfunction or no.

Thing's good for kinda-sorta showing what a short-stroke LOOKS like in sorta-slow-motion. At best, it's endstate is the result of an incomplete process. At worst, it's an irresponsible, self-serving advertisement for a lapping compound that's gonna be enormously helpful in folks derping their guns.

Since I somwhat know Serbu, and we have associates in common, I won't question the integrity aspect of it without knowing more. He also has been in manufacturing for some time, but as far as I know, his expertise does not lie in ARs.

My first thought, as a non-expert, is that polishing a chamber would be very low on my list of things to check, and if it were the problem, I would not be very excited about that brand of barrels, which he does not state. I can totally see some moron not getting all of the compound out before doing mag dumps and jacking up headspace, throat, and/or chamber(back to the start:rolleyes:). At 0:50 it says extraction force & frosty cases CAN mean rough chamber, then he proceeds to lap bore.

MarkG
10-04-13, 09:50
Has as Shamwow smell to it... OK, just a sham.

constructor
10-04-13, 12:16
He didn't lap the bore, he honed the chamber.
If sand or grit was on the cartridges or in the chamber it could cause short stroking. Quite possible just cleaning the chamber or blowing the dust off the ammo would have done the same thing.
As others said many things can cause short stroking.