PDA

View Full Version : Stepped chamber brass

Dragun
10-04-13, 15:33
Is the brass from stepped chamber barreled guns such as HK and Walther reloadable?

wahoo95
10-04-13, 16:12
I never had any issues reloading brass shot in my HK P7 outside of then marks from the fluted chamber remaining. I've heard some complain about issues loading rifle brass shot from fluted chambers

Ttwwaack
10-05-13, 10:26
I general loose about 30% of the brass during case re-sizing due to cracked bodies and split necks. I use brass that is on its last firing in this rifle now before it goes into the recycling bin.

I have no experiance trying to reload pistol brass fired out of a fluted chamber.

Suwannee Tim
10-19-13, 07:15
The correct terminology is "fluted" not "stepped".

Aries144
10-20-13, 19:30
The OP is talking about stepped chamber handguns not fluted chamber handguns or rifles. Walther's and HK's newest handgun offerings feature stepped chambers.

Stepped chamber is the proper term.

wahoo95
10-20-13, 19:40
The question was sorta vague since HK P7 series used fluted chambers

Aries144
10-20-13, 19:51
The question wasn't vague at all.

Is the brass from stepped chamber barreled guns such as HK and Walther reloadable?

Mr blasty
10-20-13, 22:53
The question was sorta vague since HK P7 series used fluted chambers

The OP never brought up the P7.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

shootist~
10-21-13, 17:28
My PPQ M2 9mm brass has gone through 3 times or so. There is a ring around the upper neck area that I'm watching, but no issues so far.

Suwannee Tim
10-21-13, 20:09
The OP is talking about stepped chamber handguns not fluted chamber handguns or rifles. Walther's and HK's newest handgun offerings feature stepped chambers.

Stepped chamber is the proper term.

I stand corrected. What's a stepped chamber?

Aries144
10-21-13, 23:19
I'd honestly never heard of it either, before I bought my Walther PPQ, looked into the barrel after a few patches, and thought "MF! They didn't finish reaming my chamber!"

After some research at the Walther forum and further study around the net, I found that this "step" (which looks like a ring or unfinished reaming at the last part of the chamber before the throat area) is apparently supposed to help accuracy and is also seen in the HK P30 and the old P08 Luger.

My PPQ is fairly accurate, but I have no direct knowledge that this step contributes to that. What I DO know is that it does seem to cause stuck cases with steel case ammunition, as I've had several including one that I couldn't clear without hitting the muzzle against a bench. A distinct mark is left at the case mouth of fired cases.

ETA: I just read that the chamber step was apparently abandoned by the Germans in favor of the tapered chamber (as used by Glock, M&P, etc) for the P38 because of issues encountered with the (then) new steel case ammunition. How do you like that?

Stepped chamber:
http://i.imgur.com/jizuX.jpg