PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Service

jpeezy
10-04-13, 16:48
I purchased a Comp M4S with Larue mount back in 2009 and ever since it's seen hard use and is mounted on my duty gun. I made the mistake of keeping a battery in for to long and it later leaked. I cleaned the battery compartment up best I could over time and called it day. A couple of days prior to our qual the optic went down and the battery was replaced. Long story short it went down in qual and I finished with irons while the battery housing was a mess. I promptly called Aimpoint and shipped it. I was told it may have to go back to the Swedes and could wait 6 weeks, but to my surprise Aimpoint had it for two days and shipped it back. I was ready to pony up some cash for the service since it was my own stupidly which caused this. Aimpoint cleaned it up, installed a new battery housing and even installed a new pro battery for no charge. After mounting it back on my rifle the zero was also good to go. I own several aimpoints, but for those still debating on which optic to buy I hope this helps your decision.

BuzzinSATX
10-04-13, 18:40
Thanks for the customer service story! Makes me glad I decided to go with the PRO myself.

Vulture38
10-04-13, 20:00
Another who is pleased that you posted this OP.

cma g21
10-05-13, 13:29
jpeezy,

Just curious, what battery brand/type were you using.

I went with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's, just to (hopefully) avoid the destructive leaking issue. But, while I've read that the Lithiums rarely (if ever) leak, I don't know how valid that claim is.

TurretGunner
10-05-13, 17:58
jpeezy,

Just curious, what battery brand/type were you using.

I went with the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's, just to (hopefully) avoid the destructive leaking issue. But, while I've read that the Lithiums rarely (if ever) leak, I don't know how valid that claim is.

Lithiums genneraly are built much better due to the guts of them being really ****ing nasty if they leak.

jpeezy
10-05-13, 23:49
I have used standard Duracell batteries since I've had it. I was able to escape this incident without any outrageous expense, just shipping. I promptly changed out the batteries on my H1's this weekend and will do so on my optics every 6 months. Even though the optics boast about outrageous activation life, your still hampered by the physical limitations of the battery and climate such as ours in the valley of the sun where my trunk can be 140 degrees. The Aimpoint rep did recommend going with a lithium battery and sent a Duracell pro lithium battery with my optic.
Just a side note, I've had a couple other coworkers with comp m4's who had this same issue. I personally feel it is a battery issue.

steyrman13
10-06-13, 00:30
I have used standard Duracell batteries since I've had it. I was able to escape this incident without any outrageous expense, just shipping. I promptly changed out the batteries on my H1's this weekend and will do so on my optics every 6 months. Even though the optics boast about outrageous activation life, your still hampered by the physical limitations of the battery and climate such as ours in the valley of the sun where my trunk can be 140 degrees. The Aimpoint rep did recommend going with a lithium battery and sent a Duracell pro lithium battery with my optic.
Just a side note, I've had a couple other coworkers with comp m4's who had this same issue. I personally feel it is a battery issue.
It is a battery issue. Use the lithiums and it will most likely never happen even after a few years sitting in there. Obviously if it is a go to gun it needs to stay in there. If only a range gun you can always remove the battery when in storage. But use lithium only. Most of the watch batteries(which are lithium) are used in many optics for this very reason.

TurretGunner
10-06-13, 09:25
The reason you take the batteries out, is that over time, the charge depletes. Some devices, also draw current when the device is off. When there is no charge left, and the device is trying to draw, it will force the acid out of the battery into whatever terminal it is connected to. That's why electronics get corroded and devices get ruined.

If you are not going to use something for a while, take the battery out. Lithiums are much better than NiCd, but not immune.

In places where hi end electo-optics are used, they are stored without the battery. During deployments, you throw fresh batteries in before every mission, and they aren't in the device long enough to go dead and corrode the device.

10-07-13, 11:06
I keep my Aimpoints on constantly so they are ready to go at a second's notice. To make sure they don't drain and start the corrosion process, I change them every 6 months. That's approx. 4320hrs. on the batteries which is way within their service life when used in an Aimpoint; no need to worry about corrosion at this service interval.