PDA

View Full Version : Bolt gun upgrade: Scope or stock?

jmnielsen
10-04-13, 18:45
Background:

I've got a .270 WSM in the Winchester model 70 Super shadow that needs some upgrades. I've decided that I would like to some long range shooting for fun and my current set up is less than optimal. Currently it's got a Harris bipod and a Leupold vx-I 4-12x40 with fine duplex reticle. It's been strictly a hunting rifle until now and has served me great whacking mule deer to about 400 yds.

I would like to upgrade the stock from the factory POS. I'm planning on the Hogue over molded tan stock, but because Winchester decided it was a good idea to have the bottom "metal" molded in with the factory stock I will need to replace the bottom metal. (It's actually just a molded part of the stock that looks like the bottom metal). I could go with the standard metal replacement, or PTG just came out with their Stealth DBM for the model 70 and I could go that route if the .308 short mag magazines will work with it. I'm leaning towards having detachable mags because with my internal mag I can only fit 3 rounds. All said and done it will be around $260 for the stock and new bottom metal.

The scope that I plan on getting is the viper HS-T 4-16x44. That will run me about $560 but I would also sell my Leupold, so that would help offset the cost. I like the PST line but those are a little more than I want to spend.

Goal:

Get this rifle out of the safe and doing some shooting. Most shooting would be under 800, with some to 1000 if I can find someone with the space that will let me shoot. It still needs to be a useful hunting rifle, though (which is why I like the zero stop turrets). Weight wouldn't be a huge factor for me in upgrades as long as it isn't something ridiculous. I more or less want to get in to some longer range shooting and utilize what I already have.

Ideally I would order everything and do it all at once, but that's not gonna happen. I feel that it makes the most sense to do the scope first, BUT the factory stock is not pillar bedded or anything.... So accuracy would still be less than optimal with the new scope. So what do you all think? Scope? Stock and DBM? Sell it and buy something else?

mark5pt56
10-04-13, 19:12
Me personally, I would leave the hunting rifle as it is. If you want a long range rig, I would think about what you really want to do with it. Are you simply punching paper and whacking steel or do you need to deliver a payload on an animal at distance or both(that can be an argument in itself) To have a bit more barrel life and shooting enjoyment, I would also look at other calibers that are easier to shoot and are not barrel burners. A .260 or 6.5 CM may fit you better or the old work horse .308.
You will find that although "accurate" for it's class, the S Shadow is not considered a "precision rifle" While I have three .308's and one 30-06 Models 70's (Extreme Weather's), they are not precision rigs. And that barrel is going to heat up fast on strings of fire, you would be good for about a round a minute to keep it from walking on you.

Sending you a PM

jmnielsen
10-04-13, 20:17
The long shooting would be either whacking steel, or whacking deer or smaller sized game. I do realize the S Shadow is not the best choice, but thought I would try to make what I have work. Although perhaps I should reconsider.

TehLlama
10-04-13, 21:20
I think Mark nailed it - it's a solid hunting rifle, one which would require spending a fair chunk of change to do much more for ringing steel at longer ranges - so much so that you'd be money ahead patiently waiting to pick up somebody's finished or almost finished long range bolt gun used, and going with that. Especially if you're after DBM/adjustable stock/caliber comfortable at 1k.

I'd keep it as a hunting rifle, and look at picking up a simple .308 (or a 6.5mm caliber like 260Rem/6.5CM if you want more reach) rifle to spend money on the glass to get you to a click. It really is about the glass, even with my young eyes, past 600m. I'm quite sure Mark's running some really nice glass, since the best scope I own was previously his.

SteveS
10-04-13, 23:14
I would leave it as is and save the money or build / buy a specific use rifle.

BigJoe
10-05-13, 03:44
the mod70 action is a great action but like others have said to make that gun "up to the task" it will take a new stock and most likely new heavier contour barrel. There are plenty of good stock options like manners stocks with mini chassis, mcmillan, AICS, XLR, Mcree, Rock Solid stocks, and the list goes on. A new barrel would be around 400-500 dollars installed so your looking between 1000-1500 total for chassis and barrel.

You could always just start saving for a savage, FN, remington tactical line rifle in your chosen caliber and leave that one along for your hunting application.

jmnielsen
10-05-13, 16:59
the mod70 action is a great action but like others have said to make that gun "up to the task" it will take a new stock and most likely new heavier contour barrel. There are plenty of good stock options like manners stocks with mini chassis, mcmillan, AICS, XLR, Mcree, Rock Solid stocks, and the list goes on. A new barrel would be around 400-500 dollars installed so your looking between 1000-1500 total for chassis and barrel.

You could always just start saving for a savage, FN, remington tactical line rifle in your chosen caliber and leave that one along for your hunting application.

Just found a savage 10-TR with 20" barrel so that's what I will be using as a gun to work on. Thanks for the help guys.