PDA

View Full Version : How many in your ignore list?

WillBrink
10-05-13, 11:01
Do not name names. It's not meant to cause a flame war. I just have 1 at this time. You?

Do you use it regularly or don't care?

Find it helps reduce the signal/noise ratio or don't like the idea?

If you use it, what's your threshold for use?

JBecker 72
10-05-13, 11:03
None. I don't get mad at what stupid people say on the internet though. ;)

T2C
10-05-13, 11:04
I have been considering this, but have not looked into everything associated with it.

If you ignore someone, do their posts on a thread disappear? Can they still send you an IM?

Voodoochild
10-05-13, 11:11
Everyone...:D

Pork Chop
10-05-13, 11:12
I'm a big kid, I don't get so bent over Internet nonsense that I need to ignore anyone. I find Internet reading/posting to be nothing more than entertainment, albeit sometimes educational. Certainly not something to be confused with real life and especially not real anger/hostility.

montanadave
10-05-13, 11:20
No one . . . currently. :)

I've never really found it helpful. Those members I've allowed to get under my skin over the years are usually pretty predictable in their responses so I end up renting space out in my head whether I actually see the remarks or not.

Better to just skim 'em over and let 'em go.

WillBrink
10-05-13, 11:21
I have been considering this, but have not looked into everything associated with it.

If you ignore someone, do their posts on a thread disappear? Can they still send you an IM?

I believe they are blocked from sending an IM, but a mod would have to confirm that. Yes, you will not see their posts at all, but you may of course see a response to their posts by anyone not on your ignore list.

WillBrink
10-05-13, 11:24
Everyone...:D

So you wont see when I call you a wanker? :dance3:

T2C
10-05-13, 11:24
I believe they are blocked from sending an IM, but a mod would have to confirm that. Yes, you will not see their posts at all, but you may of course see a response to their posts by anyone not on your ignore list.

Thank you.

As of now I avoid threads where I see the potential for them to become personal pissing matches.

WillBrink
10-05-13, 11:26
Thank you.

As of now I avoid threads where I see the potential for them to become personal pissing matches.

Yup, one of various strategies that can help improve signal/noise ratio.

Ryno12
10-05-13, 11:32
I had three but recently released one of them. I use it more for people that just flat out annoy me more than anything else. Kinda like that "pestering mosquito" type of person.

Sent via Tapatalk

Safetyhit
10-05-13, 11:33
How touching. A thread dedicated to me by the guy that claims to ignore me. Quite the blatant contradiction. Now he needs to log off to read this, of course.

I would never waste my time with such a juvenile antic, never even remotely considered the ignore feature. Guess joking about the flexing in your avatar was just too much to take. A real tough guy would have shrugged it off and moved on long ago.

ptmccain
10-05-13, 11:54
In before the lock

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

C4IGrant
10-05-13, 11:59
Nobody. Reason? Everyone needs to learn to deal with difficult people (makes you stronger). ;)

C4

WillBrink
10-05-13, 12:10
Nobody. Reason? Everyone needs to learn to deal with difficult people (makes you stronger). ;)

C4

True, but it would be bad form for the owner of the forums to have members blocked. As the owner of 2 forums with approx 20k members myself, if as owner, I'd ban them before I blocked them, after appropriate warnings of course.

Translated, you don't count. :D

Moose-Knuckle
10-05-13, 13:23
Currently their is a singular member who has earned a spot on my covenanted ignore list. Said member was placed on the list after multiple harassing PMs. I understand a differance of opinions but when someone's penis envy is so cronic they resort to sending harassing PMs its time to be ignored.

Surprise, surprise several other members here also had issues with said member. I am convinced this member is nothing more than a troll/provocateur.

sandman99and9
10-05-13, 13:31
A grand total of 0

I don't worry about what people say.

S.M.

WillBrink
10-05-13, 13:32
Currently their is a singular member who has earned a spot on my covenanted ignore list. Said member was placed on the list after multiple harassing PMs. I understand a differance of opinions but when someone's penis envy is so cronic they resort to sending harassing PMs its time to be ignored.

Yup...

Surprise, surprise several other members here also had issues with said member. I am convinced this member is nothing more than a troll/provocateur.

There's a few of those here, as there are for any open access public forums, and not seeing their posts and or any PMs, worth hitting the "add to ignore" list I find.

But, as we see in this thread, some don't care nor bother. All good.

theblackknight
10-05-13, 14:04
Never used it, but hopefully I'm on some lists. Remeber kids, trolling is a 2 way street.

If I was going to, it would be the statist cops here.

Airhasz
10-05-13, 14:10
[QUOTE=theblackknight;1764258]Never used it, but hopefully I'm on some lists. Remeber kids, trolling is a 2 way street.

I just added you..:D

BCmJUnKie
10-05-13, 14:17
Never used it, but hopefully I'm on some lists. Remeber kids, trolling is a 2 way street.

If I was going to, it would be the statist cops here.

Hahahaha. It's true. If I eve needed TT (trolololololing training) I would seek the professional Blackknight.

High speed low drag trolling. :lol::lol::lol:

Safetyhit
10-05-13, 17:59
Ok Will, I am sorry. After reading the thread about liars, one of whom is currently wreaking havoc in my life and has me a bit on edge, I realized I should not have made that post in this thread. Especially considering your intent to be discrete. It was a mistake and I make them sometimes.

We had a silly dispute about the universe and my perception was that you came off as a know-it-all regarding something none of us fully understand. Then it led to other comments becoming of neither of us.

This thread indicated to me that it still bothers you and that shouldn't be the case. I have watched some of your videos and have no doubt we would get along very well in person. Therefore I will be the first to extend my hand and offer an apology. Whether you choose to accept or not is essentially irrelevant, as I suspect this post was the right thing to do regardless.

Let it go man. Believe it or not I am not your enemy and wish you well.

WillBrink
10-05-13, 18:30

Some times it is, some times it's not. One sided trolling happens all the time. Some don't think they're trolling of course and are just showing their winning personalities/voicing opinions, and some times they are actively and intentionally trolling.

So, ignore list is one option.

Ryno12
10-05-13, 19:05
Will, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question that is slightly off topic yet still in regards to site features. Can anyone explain what the point of the "stealth mode" is? It seems juvenile to me, yet there are people here that I respect using it, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

WillBrink
10-05-13, 19:13
Will, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question that is slightly off topic yet still in regards to site features. Can anyone explain what the point of the "stealth mode" is? It seems juvenile to me, yet there are people here that I respect using it, so maybe I'm just missing something.

No idea, I don't even know what that is. Anyone?

Ryno12
10-05-13, 19:25
No idea, I don't even know what that is. Anyone?

It's where people appear to be offline but actually aren't. I don't get what the purpose is.

theblackknight
10-05-13, 19:41
It's where people appear to be offline but actually aren't. I don't get what the purpose is.

I find that hilarious. Considering all the super secret agent men we have here and their fans, it's makes a lot of sense.

Covert internetting is paramount for cyber ops and maintaining persec means the difference in securing tomorrow's freedoms. (Transition to soaring eagle and fade out)

sent from mah gun,using my sights

.46caliber
10-05-13, 20:47

Bullshit. Stealth mode is when I go in the bathroom just to sit and read the forum there. That way I don't hear, " Are you on that stupid forum again?"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ryno12
10-05-13, 20:50
Bullshit. Stealth mode is when I go in the bathroom just to sit and read the forum there. That way I don't hear, " Are you on that stupid forum again?"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

:D:D:D
That's funny. I've actually done that.

Sent via Tapatalk

Suwannee Tim
10-05-13, 20:51
There were three. One of those got his ass banned. I can't remember why I don't like the other two.

VIP3R 237
10-05-13, 23:33
Hmm off line I saw two pages and now logged in I see no posts.... :D just kidding guys.

I don't see a reason for it unless harassed by a member such as what happened to Moose-Knuckle. I've tried to avoid pissing matches with others because I realize that I'm on a public forum and it honestly does not matter.

HKGuns
10-05-13, 23:52
How many in your ignore list?

Sorry, I can't read your post! :)

I'll just say that I've used it extensively to filter out the noise that I'm not disciplined enough not to ignore. So, it is more about me than it is about them. However, there are a few DB's on here that consistently rub me the wrong way.

Honu
10-06-13, 00:13
none figure I can ignore but rather here what people say :)

SteyrAUG
10-06-13, 00:20
One.

And it's mostly to keep me from replying to the same stupid shit over and over.

GeorgiaBoy
10-06-13, 00:27
None. I don't get the point. I will still see that they post and will have the option to "show post". And if people were to quote that person, I would see their posts anyway. If a lot of people are replying to that person, I would become confused about the trajectory of the thread if I didn't see the source material.

That being said I know quite a few who have me on ignore. ;)

ryr8828
10-06-13, 06:05
There are a few people here whose views are completely opposite of mine.
I'm strong enough not to let them indoctrinate me and old enough not to get to excited when I read their nonsense.

There's a 1 in 1,000 chance that these people might post something intelligent sometime and if I had them on ignore I would miss it.

ryr8828
10-06-13, 06:11

They don't want the general population of the site knowing that they're here. I use it on my sites. If I have to lock a thread or something it saves a lot of whiny pm's to me if I'm the only admin on the board at that time.

Or maybe they just don't want everyone on the internet to know how much time they spend here by looking at the online members list.

T2C
10-06-13, 07:23
There are a few people here whose views are completely opposite of mine.
I'm strong enough not to let them indoctrinate me and old enough not to get to excited when I read their nonsense.

There's a 1 in 1,000 chance that these people might post something intelligent sometime and if I had them on ignore I would miss it.

You make a very good point.

HackerF15E
10-06-13, 08:08
None. For the same reason I consume media from sources whose bias is not the same as mine.

Otherwise, you are just watching yourself speak in the mirror.

Waylander
10-06-13, 09:26
One thing I've noticed is I have all my threads setup to notify me instantly via email if there's a reply. Obviously if an ignored person replies I don't get notified and since I won't know to visit the thread I won't get notification of replies for a while even if those people aren't on ignore. Somebody may can confirm whether it's the number of additional posts or the time that's elapsed before you finally get a notification but you will eventually get an email.

So I have nobody on my ignore list currently. If I know a thread is going hostile I may put a couple on it temporarily if my phone keeps blowing up from constant silly posts. I've learned to mostly stay out of those types of threads anyway.

Big A
10-06-13, 11:13
No one.

I try to be as courteous here as I would be if I were to meet any of you in real life. Some folks here can't seem to mange that and ruin threads. It's a shame really. We all seem to have pretty common interests in guns and liberty and freedom but we can't seem to be civil towards one another at times over really petty shit. People will have different opinions on issues, and some of those opinions are bat shit crazy, but you're usually not going to convince them of this.

I just try to state my opinion and not argue back and forth with folks I know don't agree with me since it will most likely be counterproductive, but it is important to me to know that not everyone will see things the same way I do and I think that helps makes me a more complete individual as opposed to a drone just following the group think.

Magic_Salad0892
10-06-13, 16:12
Ok Will, I am sorry. After reading the thread about liars, one of whom is currently wreaking havoc in my life and has me a bit on edge, I realized I should not have made that post in this thread. Especially considering your intent to be discrete. It was a mistake and I make them sometimes.

We had a silly dispute about the universe and my perception was that you came off as a know-it-all regarding something none of us fully understand. Then it led to other comments becoming of neither of us.

This thread indicated to me that it still bothers you and that shouldn't be the case. I have watched some of your videos and have no doubt we would get along very well in person. Therefore I will be the first to extend my hand and offer an apology. Whether you choose to accept or not is essentially irrelevant, as I suspect this post was the right thing to do regardless.

I'm not sure that Will can read your apology.

Ryno12
10-06-13, 18:07
They don't want the general population of the site knowing that they're here. I use it on my sites. If I have to lock a thread or something it saves a lot of whiny pm's to me if I'm the only admin on the board at that time.

Or maybe they just don't want everyone on the internet to know how much time they spend here by looking at the online members list.

Thanks for the explanation.

Sent via Tapatalk

WillBrink
10-06-13, 18:26
I'm not sure that Will can read your apology.

I could not until your response. Now I can. I will respond accordingly and in kind.

WillBrink
10-06-13, 18:32

Not until Magic_Salad responded to you, and I was then able to see the post. I accept the apology and appreciate the effort made. I have no issues with anyone not agreeing with me on X topic. That's irrelevant to me. That was never the issue. This thread was not to rehash the topic, so we move along. ;)