PDA

View Full Version : A question for you LEOs

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 20:22
Long story short, today i ran into a deputy sheriff buddy of mine at the mall, leaving the mall, i noticed several officers running after 2 kids who ran across the street into a neighborhood, they had stolen from a department store. I saw my buddy running towards two other officers, they looked dissapointed that they were getting away. Not even thinking, i drove up to them and asked if they wanted a ride across the street, all 3 of them jumped in my truck and we went looking for the lil bastards, im not a cop, i just wanted to help. Sure enough, one of them was walking down the street real nervously. They signaled for me to stop i stopped by the kid and they all hopped out and arrested him, his buddy was long gone. The thing is, im worried that this kid got a good look at my truck and im worried about retaliation now. My question is: how do you LEOs deal with the thought of someone you busted coming back for revenge? Its now on my thoughts and im worried about this kid shooting my truck or me or my family. I am positive he did not have time to even look at my truck good, his face was in total shock as the officers got out and busted his ass, they thanked me and walked off with him, talking on their radios.

DragonDoc
10-05-13, 20:26
I'm not a LEO but I bet the kid thinks you are. He will probably not mess with you or your family. Take appropriate measures if you feel otherwise.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 20:37
Im hoping he does, there are alot of undercover officers that roam the mall.

Alaskapopo
10-05-13, 20:41
Long story short, today i ran into a deputy sheriff buddy of mine at the mall, leaving the mall, i noticed several officers running after 2 kids who ran across the street into a neighborhood, they had stolen from a department store. I saw my buddy running towards two other officers, they looked dissapointed that they were getting away. Not even thinking, i drove up to them and asked if they wanted a ride across the street, all 3 of them jumped in my truck and we went looking for the lil bastards, im not a cop, i just wanted to help. Sure enough, one of them was walking down the street real nervously. They signaled for me to stop i stopped by the kid and they all hopped out and arrested him, his buddy was long gone. The thing is, im worried that this kid got a good look at my truck and im worried about retaliation now. My question is: how do you LEOs deal with the thought of someone you busted coming back for revenge? Its now on my thoughts and im worried about this kid shooting my truck or me or my family. I am positive he did not have time to even look at my truck good, his face was in total shock as the officers got out and busted his ass, they thanked me and walked off with him, talking on their radios.

I am in a small town and everyone knows where I live and I have never had an issue with revenge. Treat everyone with respect and don't make things personal and generally you will not have problems. But I do always carry a gun with me.
Pat

theblackknight
10-05-13, 20:53
Treat everyone with respect and don't make things personal and generally you will not have problems.
Pat

There it is right there.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 21:11
I dont know who the kid was, but im sure hes real pissed off right now, i can almost be certain hes not new to the game though.

C-grunt
10-05-13, 21:16
Is there any reason why he would recognize your truck over any other? Plus he probably had a bunch of other stuff on his mind at the time.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 21:22
Is there any reason why he would recognize your truck over any other? Plus he probably had a bunch of other stuff on his mind at the time.

I have a sticker on my rear window, other then that theres a ton of trucks like mine in town, and yea. I am a little calmer now, but i'll tell you what, my adrenaline sure was pumping! I had never been in a situation like that.

T2C
10-05-13, 22:02
This is a minor offense and I can't speak for the officers involved.

If a citizen assisted me in the apprehension of a serious offender and the subject tried to retaliate against the citizen, after a period of time the suspect would only be focused on me and completely forget about the citizen who assisted.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 22:11
True, true, its not like a was helping chase a freakin serial killer or something lol! But still, last year some kids stole a truck from a gas station, rammed a LGS, stole various guns, then robbed a target a day later, they were all 16 at the time. One of them spent 6 months in juvvi, he recently got out, then he attempted to rob the same store that got robbed today, he assaulted an officer, and ran down the same block we went down. He was caught and will be spending a few years in county, hes only 17.

Avenger29
10-05-13, 22:13
We busted a group of teenage high school ****s stealing scrap metal off of our property. They not only know where we live but what we drive. I'm not too worried about it...told them that if they come back I'm gonna **** 'em up six ways to Sunday instead of turning them over to the cops...

lunchbox
10-05-13, 22:39
I have a sticker on my rear window, other then that theres a ton of trucks like mine in town, and yea. I am a little calmer now, but i'll tell you what, my adrenaline sure was pumping! I had never been in a situation like that.Not a LEO--But could replace sticker with different one, or no stickers at all.

CGSteve
10-05-13, 22:53
If you said they were just kids stealing from the mall, I wouldn't worry about "retaliation" as they are not hardened career criminals.

I too live in a small town and our agency is the largest LE presence down here. Everyone in town automatically knows or assumes you are most likely BP as they know you're not from the town. We are already not well liked as a general feeling, but few have made bold threats to agents or their families. The few that have are involved in human and wholesale narcotics smuggling.

Then again, I wasn't there. I don't know the neighborhood you live in and whether these kids were just being stupid or were already involved in greater criminal activities.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 22:54
Not a LEO--But could replace sticker with different one, or no stickers at all.

Ive been thinking about it. I'd hate to though..

HwyKnight
10-05-13, 23:11
Don't sweat it, thanks for being a good citizen and helping.

SilverBullet432
10-05-13, 23:33
Don't sweat it, thanks for being a good citizen and helping.

It was an impulse, i guess since ive been robbed before I know the feeling of it.

Mac5.56
10-05-13, 23:41
Ha, if that is the least of your worries consider yourself blessed.

Unless your vehicle is so obvious that it is literally the only one of it's kind, you will be fine.

The nervous little kid that is currently pissing his pants while talking to his parents is not thinking about your vehicle.

SilverBullet432
10-06-13, 15:00
Ha, if that is the least of your worries consider yourself blessed.

Unless your vehicle is so obvious that it is literally the only one of it's kind, you will be fine.

The nervous little kid that is currently pissing his pants while talking to his parents is not thinking about your vehicle.

well, it kind of is very unique, there is no other pickup like mine in town. I have kind of gotten over it now, i doubt that kid gives a shit what his parents think though.

SteveS
10-06-13, 15:10
I am in a small town and everyone knows where I live and I have never had an issue with revenge. Treat everyone with respect and don't make things personal and generally you will not have problems. But I do always carry a gun with me.
Pat

IMHO it is foolish not to for many reasons.

J-Dub
10-06-13, 16:41
I park my marked unit in front of my home, and I live in the shit part of town. Not much you can do but hope for the best expect the worst I suppose.

And unless this was a "hardened criminal shoplifter" the worst will probably be a few eggs or a key job.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Voodoo_Man
10-06-13, 17:06
Does not really matter how you treat people, some people will act a certain way regardless of how they were treated.

On a few occasions I have run into people I arrested, one of which I was not too nice to, not really an issue. Every instance was not even remotely confrontational, they looked at me, I looked at them, they went about their business as did I.

The person that is going to try to find me and get into a confrontation with me because of me being a LEO, that's the guy that has a very bad day.

Alaskapopo
10-06-13, 18:35
Does not really matter how you treat people, some people will act a certain way regardless of how they were treated.

On a few occasions I have run into people I arrested, one of which I was not too nice to, not really an issue. Every instance was not even remotely confrontational, they looked at me, I looked at them, they went about their business as did I.

The person that is going to try to find me and get into a confrontation with me because of me being a LEO, that's the guy that has a very bad day.
I have to disagree. It seems that some officers always have more troubles with people fighting them than others and usually its because of how they treat the suspect. Your right some people will fight with you no matter what. But you can talk people into wanting to kick your ass as well.
Pat

Voodoo_Man
10-06-13, 19:20
I have to disagree. It seems that some officers always have more troubles with people fighting them than others and usually its because of how they treat the suspect. Your right some people will fight with you no matter what. But you can talk people into wanting to kick your ass as well.
Pat

I do not disagree, it has been my experience that some people you just can't reach.

aguila327
10-06-13, 19:58
Pat

So true. I started my LE career in corrections and have noticed how an officers ability to communicate or interact with a suspect can either lessen or increase the tension in many LE contacts. The former CO's seem to have developed the skills to communicate with some of these perps and avoid long lasting personal hatred.

A professional demeanor tends to garner a little respect in return. Many of my C.I's were former collars of mine. Wouldn't trust them as far ad I can throw em but they have given me some good info over the years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jondoe297
10-06-13, 21:18
But you can talk people into wanting to kick your ass as well.
Pat

Ain't that the truth. Sadly, there's a lot of veterans that haven't figured that out yet.

SilverBullet432
10-06-13, 23:18
Tomorrow i will talk with the deputy's son, he will let me know exactly what happened, and if the kid gave the other scumbag away.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-07-13, 01:18
So true. I started my LE career in corrections and have noticed how an officers ability to communicate or interact with a suspect can either lessen or increase the tension in many LE contacts. The former CO's seem to have developed the skills to communicate with some of these perps and avoid long lasting personal hatred.

A professional demeanor tends to garner a little respect in return. Many of my C.I's were former collars of mine. Wouldn't trust them as far ad I can throw em but they have given me some good info over the years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A golden tongue will get you much further in LE and Corrections than a strong arm ever will. Good communication skills, especially in Corrections, lead to fantastic results. Learn how to be a peace maker before you have to use your peace maker.

T2C
10-07-13, 05:29
A golden tongue will get you much further in LE and Corrections than a strong arm ever will. Good communication skills, especially in Corrections, lead to fantastic results. Learn how to be a peace maker before you have to use your peace maker.

I like that line and I think it is a good philosophy.

If you have good people skills, you don't have to use force as often as someone who cannot effectively interact with people. In addition to people skills, people you deal with have to sense that you are capable and willing to apply force, but will only do so if necessary.

11B101ABN
10-08-13, 13:55
I have a sticker on my rear window, other then that theres a ton of trucks like mine in town, and yea. I am a little calmer now, but i'll tell you what, my adrenaline sure was pumping! I had never been in a situation like that.

It's pretty bad ass, isn't it? ;)

11B101ABN
10-08-13, 14:01

I'll go one farther and say that your bearing, and outward appearance can have a significant impact in a Corrections and Patrol environment.

From the second you exit your patrol car, or step into the block, tier, or pod, you're being sized up and evaluated.

SilverBullet432
10-08-13, 15:55
It's pretty bad ass, isn't it? ;)

Yea it was! The look on that kid's face was just in complete shock as a random ass truck just stopped in front of him in the street, and 3 cops jumped out, told him not to move and cuffed his ass! It was rather exciting.

ALSO: I did talk to the deputy's son, he told me his dad hadn't told him anything about it. Probably because he was involved in a shootout out west of town the next day. Some guy shot up a sheriff truck and he arrived as back up and started firing towards the suspect. Suspect ran out of ammo and gave himself up. It wasn't on the news as no one was hurt. Our news doesn't cover squat unless someone gets hurt....... There could be a random fire flaming away in a field, it gets put out, but unless there was some sort of loss, no one else would ever hear about it...