PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Accuracy

Shihan
04-28-08, 00:34
Ok guys its time for another toy. Im either going to build a SPR or a Recce and im trying to decide which barrel brand I want. Im leaning towards Noveske's SPR barrel or possibly his stainless Recon barrel. What other suggestions for a highly accurate barrel would you guys who have them suggest?

SethB
04-28-08, 01:05
I would start by deciding if I wanted an SPR or a Recce. Because if the answer is Recce I'd run a 1:7 CL barrel from Colt, BCM or Dennysguns. Because I have them (well, two of the three) and because your money is better spent on an optic and ammo.

If the answer is SPR, it is starting to seem like the LaRue uppers are a great deal. I may buy one soon.

taliv
04-28-08, 08:59
i've built two guns with the aforementioned dennysguns barrels. mine were from a batch done by white oak (highly recommended, and probably on a wilson blank), but i believe current ones are from shaw or douglas. reason i chose that barrel was features i could not find elsewhere: 1:7 twist, wylde chamber, mid-length gas, threaded, reasonably light profile. it's been through several classes and matches and still shoots great. I've been very pleased.

most recent gun i built was with an ABS carbon fiber barrel. it is also surprisingly accurate, but the primary feature is that it's 17" long and with the 3" compensator on the end, it's only 13 oz! it makes a world of difference. it's got a rifle-length gas, wylde chamber and 1:7 twist. it also cools very quickly. about 3-5 minutes after dumping 20-30 rnds through it in a stage, you can hold the barrel comfortably. they are kind of pricey though

ra2bach
04-28-08, 10:20
I would start by deciding if I wanted an SPR or a Recce....

what's the difference?

AMMOTECH
04-28-08, 12:03
:confused:
Does Noveske build his barrels in house or is it contracted out and to whom?

SethB
04-28-08, 13:28
what's the difference?

The SPR is type classified, military rifle. The specifications are available.

The Recce is a concept. A short rifle (14.5-16 inch barrel) with a magnified optic. People are making them more extravagant by the day, but the originals were M4s with ACOGs, or so I hear.

Shihan
04-28-08, 14:50
I would start by deciding if I wanted an SPR or a Recce. Because if the answer is Recce I'd run a 1:7 CL barrel from Colt, BCM or Dennysguns. Because I have them (well, two of the three) and because your money is better spent on an optic and ammo.

If the answer is SPR, it is starting to seem like the LaRue uppers are a great deal. I may buy one soon.

I guess I should have been more specific.
I will probably do both a SPR and another Recce. I will go stainless on both.

If I was going to go with a CL barrel on a Reece it would be another LMT as I havent found anything more accurate on a 16" CL barrel than LMT's.

Im leaning towards Noveske and/or WOA not only because they make good stuff but because im a dealer for them:)

wezalsgunsupply
04-28-08, 23:07
I've had real good luck with CMMG 1-7 barrels. For the money they have been hard to beat. I use them on mine and most customers rifles with good results. Retail pricing in the mid 200 range. The 14.7 shoots well. I use lots of mid lenght from them with sub inch groups at 50 yards with white box Winchester 55 grain. I've not gotten a bad shooter from them yet. A good alternative without paying Noveske money. But dont get me wrong I would love to have all Noveske barrels. I just dont have the wallet for them. Also hade great luck with White Oak on my varmit builds.

variablebinary
04-29-08, 00:54
Ok guys its time for another toy. Im either going to build a SPR or a Recce and im trying to decide which barrel brand I want. Im leaning towards Noveske's SPR barrel or possibly his stainless Recon barrel. What other suggestions for a highly accurate barrel would you guys who have them suggest?

Why limit yourself

SPR
DMR
SAM-R
RECCE
West Coast SAM-R

:p

Shihan
04-29-08, 01:02
Why limit yourself

SPR
DMR
SAM-R
RECCE
West Coast SAM-R

:p

I gotta have some limits as I want 3 of everything:D But I got plenty of M4ish AR's and need something alittle different.

variablebinary
04-29-08, 02:10
I'm in the same boat as you. I am planning my next toy, and want something long range oriented

Right now I am leaning toward an SDM-R/USAMU type rifle minus standard FSB. TA01-NSN will be my optic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg/741px-SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg

Keep us updated. I am always looking for inspiration

Shihan
04-29-08, 14:55
I'm in the same boat as you. I am planning my next toy, and want something long range oriented

Right now I am leaning toward an SDM-R/USAMU type rifle minus standard FSB. TA01-NSN will be my optic

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg/741px-SquadDesignatedMarksmen.jpg

Keep us updated. I am always looking for inspiration

I keep going back and forth between a 18" and 16" stainless match barrel and which of the longer rails I want to use or if I want to go with a VIS or LMT MRP/CQB?

variablebinary
04-29-08, 15:38
I keep going back and forth between a 18" and 16" stainless match barrel and which of the longer rails I want to use or if I want to go with a VIS or LMT MRP/CQB?

I was thinking MRP at first as well, but then I wouldnt be able to use any of the match grade barrels out there. Something to consider. I personally dont know if any of the well known accurized barrel makers are supporting the MRP

I was considering VIS, but will either go Stealth or Standard A3

I am thinking 18" SS 1/8 Match barrel, Troy 13.5 rail, A2 FH, Young NM BCG, TA01-NSN, Stealth Upper, Troy BUIS, forged CH

I can probably get it all done for under 1k without Stealth.

What's your budget for the project?

Shihan
05-01-08, 01:54
I was thinking MRP at first as well, but then I wouldnt be able to use any of the match grade barrels out there. Something to consider. I personally dont know if any of the well known accurized barrel makers are supporting the MRP

I was considering VIS, but will either go Stealth or Standard A3

I am thinking 18" SS 1/8 Match barrel, Troy 13.5 rail, A2 FH, Young NM BCG, TA01-NSN, Stealth Upper, Troy BUIS, forged CH

I can probably get it all done for under 1k without Stealth.

What's your budget for the project?

You must already have the ACOG to stay under a "G";)

I havent really thought about budget but under a grand would be nice. I have a refund check coming from S&W for the M&PT they bought back.

What 1/8 SS Match barrel are you thinking of using?