PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon TriPower?

Oscar 319
04-28-08, 03:31
Does anyone use a TriPower? I don't believe I've seen one TriPower mounted on anyones build in here. I am just curious why. Buy buddy has one on his Wilson AR and he loves it. I have never shot with one. Any thoughts on these?

C4IGrant
04-28-08, 08:19
Does anyone use a TriPower? I don't believe I've seen one TriPower mounted on anyones build in here. I am just curious why. Buy buddy has one on his Wilson AR and he loves it. I have never shot with one. Any thoughts on these?

I have used them. I really want to like this optic, but the battery life is just horrible on it. I would put it firmly behind Aimpoint and EOTech.

C4

5pins
04-29-08, 11:45
I was thinking of getting a tripower on my M1A scout because of the chevron reticle. If the batteries dies then don’t you have a reflex sight? Is there any “red dot” sight that uses a chevron or triangle?

C4IGrant
04-29-08, 11:48
I was thinking of getting a tripower on my M1A scout because of the chevron reticle. If the batteries dies then don’t you have a reflex sight? Is there any “red dot” sight that uses a chevron or triangle?

The issues with the batts is not in full sun, but at night.

C4

Neeglik
04-29-08, 14:36
Like Grant said, I really wanted to like this optic. The tritium does illuminate at night, but it is very dim. Too dim for my liking. I went back to my Aimpoint. I work nights, so this was a deal breaker for me. If you are just going to use it at the range during the day time, then go for it!!

A search for "Tripower" actually gets a few hits for ya to read up on it. You can read a lot at this link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=337&highlight=tripower My posts on that thread pretty much echo what I said here. The deciding factor was the night time need for batteries and then the subsequent battery issues that go along with it. Like I said, for me it just doesn't do what it does better than the Aimpoint.

Oscar 319
04-29-08, 15:13
Roger that. That's why I asked. I too really wanted to like it and could not figure it out. Can't go wrong with Aimpoints. Thanks guys.

Henchman
04-30-08, 09:36
Also if you use the Tri Power at night with the fiber optic cover off it glows like a stove coil and can give away your position. With that said it is a very rugged optic, but I just wish it had Aim Point battery life.

Jeremy
12-08-08, 19:09
I just got my tripower mounted tonight and first impressions are very good.

I tried an aimpoint and never could get it zeroed. The dot never was crisp and was terrible when used with a magnifier.

I've looked through Eotechs and they are very fuzzy too me as well.

I even got my eyes checked and no astigmatism so I don't know whats going on but neither the Eotech or the Aimpoint work for me.

I have been using a Millett zoom dot and it works very well and I just slightly see a tail with a magnifier. I shoot real well with it, but don't like the tinting as it darkens the view with the magnifier too much for my liking.

I had some problems with the zoom dot washing out with the sun at my back looking at a white target. The aimpoint did the same thing for me.

I went with the tripower as it was reported to be the crispest reticle and so far it it appears to be true. When I add the battery power to it, inside at night, it still doesn't bloom.

The view through a magnifer is very clean and it appears the BAC concept works well with the magnifier in place as well.

In darkened parts of my house, the tritium is quite visible but washes out with my rifle light (250 lumens tends to do that). The fiber optic doesn't pick up enough to over come and I have found that I need to use the batteries, at a low setting, to make sure I have enough reticle brightness to see it with the rifle light.

With interior lights on the fiber optics work great and I hope we have a bright sunny day tomorrow so I can check the fiber optics out then.

Overall it fixes the problems I had with other optics. Did I mention how crisp the reticle is?

I should get a chance to shoot it tomorrow.

Outlander Systems
12-08-08, 20:10
http://i36.tinypic.com/wcg3dh.jpg

Jeremy: Congrats. I'm absolutely in love with the TriPower. On the next sunny day you'll find that the reticle is illuminated by the fiber optics to the same level as the battery backup on full power. It's incredible.

I've got the same problem with the other optics not being very friendly to my eyeballs. As well, the Chevron reticule is my personal flavour of choice.

I've found the Tritium to be rather dim, unless it is a totally darkened evening. At that point, I'd run the battery backup anyway. The included cover removes any worries of the "Hot Stove" effect, in the dark.

What sort of mount are you using?

Jeremy
12-08-08, 20:51
I'm using a Larue mount, half of a pair of LT-123 rings. This gives me a little bit lower than direct co witness on my XCR with my BUIS's and I use the other ring for my magnifier. This lowers the optics a bit compared to standard AR height mounts, yet still lets me use my backups.

About the biggest gripe I have is that it uses two batteries instead of one. I'll have to throw another one in my VFG.

The rated battery life of 110 hours at #7, which I find works well with my light, should last me 4 months or longer at work. This assumes an average use of 45 to 60 minutes per 8 hour shift at #7 which would probably be a lot.

I do like how easy it is to feel the up, down and off switch, even in the dark.

For close quarters hold overs, it looks like the top of the inside triangle void should work perfect. More or less putting the chevron on the bridge of the nose looks like it should be perfect.

Jeremy
12-09-08, 19:29
I got to shoot it just a bit today. I rough zeroed at 25 yards to get it close and I grouped better at 25 yards than I ever have. I usually zero at 50 yards and did not get a chance to dial it in at this distance.

Overall, first impressions are pretty good. I was suprised at how big the chevron appeared at 25 yards but it was quick.

I don't think battery life will be an issue for me, given how I use the scope. Daytime looks like most circumstances will be covered by the fiber optics. With it being rainy today, it was actually a little brighter than I would have dialed in if I could.

The longest single deployment I have been on is easily covered by the battery life specified. Two spares on the gun and I should be good to go.

I'll keep updating as I use it as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on these.

Outlander Systems
12-09-08, 20:22
There's really not of information regarding end-use of these sights. It seems like most folks have a love/hate relationship with the TriPower.

I'm totally loving mine. The batteries have enough juice to get you through a few bad, long nights, if the need should ever arise, and the daytime fibre optic is even better than I had expected when I purchased mine. I ordered mine sight unseen, taking the gamble that "Trijicon don't make junk".

It's worked out pretty well for me, and suits my needs for a sub-100 yard optic.

It's been my first cool guy optic, and I am definitely beyond satisfied. I've had the chance to use an EOTech 553, and a Gen. I Reflex in the past, and had considered an Aimpoint, but the fibre optic was the real deal breaker in my case.

I look at this particular unit as being a fibre optic powered sight with tritium and battery backups. A lot of the bitching about this unit isn't unfounded, IMHO, the tritium is patently useless to me without NV, unless the operator is in a totally darkened environment, but at that point, youd' be unable to differentiate between good guys and bad guys. As soon as you hit your light, the tritium is toodles. The battery backup solves this, but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too...

If Trijicon could push the battery life a little further toward Aimpoint's, I think this would be the most popular optic on the market.

I'd love to see Trijicon incorporate the battery backup on more sights like the RX series, and possibly others. If the tritium was brighter, this could be a truly triple-redundant system, without peer.

Minor faults aside, I'm in love with this thing.

If anyone from Trijicon is fishing for ideas for the "New for 2010" optics:

Incorporate a battery backup onto the RX30 and you'll have a winner.

Slap a chevron or donut on the RX30, AND a battery backup, and you may have me calling the TriPower my "2nd favourite optic".

LettersFromEarth
12-10-08, 16:54
Jeremy,

Be advised; TheLandlord (or whatever he is calling himself this week;) ) is full of boiled Georgia Nutz and is leading you down a thorny path with the TriPower. Same goes for your XCR. if you send them both to me and I will set you right with a Hi Point carbine and a BSA red dot. :)

Jeremy
12-10-08, 20:36
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will suffer through.

I got to use the Tripower for entry training today and was pleased with it. I have found that I tend to flip the battery power on before an entry do to the varying lighting in buildings, especially when using a mounted light.

I have played with it more at night and the tritium is useful in lighting conditions where I can see without the light on. The problem is that when I hit the light, the chevron goes away.

My recommendation to trijicon would be to either brighten the tritum or do away with it and up the battery life.

The range estimating ability was nice as doing one scenario I had to provide overwatch. I slapped on the magnifier, found a known object, and ranged it at 75 yards.

Depending on lighting conditions, I am seeing a little shadow through the magnifier, but it is easy to tell which is the shadow and pick the correct aiming point. From reading up on magnifiers, it appears that this is fairly common and due to the lack of dipoter adjustment. If anyone knows more about this, please feel to chime in as it is mildly frustrating.

Belloc
03-24-09, 07:28
Edit.

Henchman
03-24-09, 17:31
Question: Does the hot stove signature at night happen even with the battery off?
Thanks.

No it does not but the tritium is not bright enough to make it useable with out night vision.

hotwheels76
03-25-09, 02:09
I really wanted to like the TriPower, was really excited when I first read about them and got one as soon as I could get my hands on one. I love the chevron and the whole concept of the optic. I just didnt think that Trijicon got it quite right. I got rid of it a short time after I got it cause of the wash out problems and the fiber optic "blooming" at night. I am thinking about getting another one and trying it again, I am a huge Trijicon fan after all, and just putting it on a range/ non-serious plinker gun instead of a red dot.

Belloc
03-25-09, 12:40
Edit.

Outlander Systems
03-28-09, 21:10
The only improvements I would recommend to Triji for the TX-series are as follows:

1) Brighten the tritium. The tritium is set up for NV use, something that I'll never deploy, thusly rendering the tritium worthless. It's there, it's present, it's just not effective. At the least, offer an "NV Ready" version, and a civvy-friendly version.

2) Double the battery life, at least. If Trijicon could even get half of what Aimpoint's pushing in terms of battery drain, these things would outsell every other optic.

That's about it. The fibre optic is the main selling feature for my particular end-user needs. The lack of battery life is a little depressing, and something they could fix, but I absolutely refuse to be rid of the TX30. I love it.

I recently sold my EOTech for an "old school" Trijicon RX01. Along with that, I upgraded from the IT M3X to a SureFire M951, and with the polarising filter on the RX, against white walls, I've had no washout. YMMV, but I am getting anachronistic on my optics. I'd debated between the Aimpoint T-1, and the RX, but went with the RX, obviously. Did I make the best choice? For my particular wants and needs, yes. For someone elses? Maybe, maybe not.

I think the TriPower is the heat. Do I think there are some tweaks that should be made? Absolutely. I don't think there's a "perfect" optic out there, and I guess the end user needs to assess his needs, assess the availability of products, and choose accordingly.

Belloc
03-29-09, 01:13
Edit.

hotwheels76
03-30-09, 06:13
I like the idea of the new green ACOGs, I want to get my hands on one and play with one, a green Chevron Tri-Power might help with some of the problems of the sight.

Patrick Henry
04-11-09, 00:37
Putting my dunce thinking cap on....

Whereas green is many times more perceptible to the human eye, Trijicon should try experimenting with a green reticle. They could then lower the current draw from the battery, thus, vastly extending the battery life while retaining the perceptible brightness of the chevron. A green tritium would be perceptibly brighter, as well. They could keep with the red tritium for the NV-compatible version.

Just my $.00 ;)

Jeremy
04-11-09, 19:01
I would love to see a green chervon. If I could send mine in to have it converted I would.

That said, I am still pleased with the sight. I am still on the same set of batteries since December so battery life is fine for a patrol rifle.

I taught our explorers range today and they picked up the chevron well. I explained to them put the whole "triangle" in the body for close in speed and the tip for precision. We then had them shoot silhouettes at 7 - 10 yards and bowling pins at 25 and 50 yards. They were all getting quick, well placed shots up close and they all hit at least two pins at 50 yards.

We had one pin with the lower portion hidden by a rock and I had no problem hitting the neck.

It was a bright sunny day and there was no wash out on the white pins.