PDA

View Full Version : What happened here? ID this brass issue.

cmkirkham
10-06-13, 14:27
Gun in question:

Daniel Defense M4V5, midlength, 16" barrel, DD BCG, fully assembled by DD, no modifications other than a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Approximately 1500 rounds without a single malfunction using IMI M193, AE 55gr .223, and reloaded 55gr .223 made by Freedom Munitions.

Yesterday I was sighting a new scope and making notes about point of impact for each of the ammo listed above. The fired brass in the photo below did not extract after firing and the next round was pushed up beneath the spent casing and I experienced a stoppage. This was a .223 round as reloaded by Freedom Munitions. I've also included a photo of the next round that was notably dented from the stoppage.

The spent brass is bulged at the rear ahead of the case head and there is a clear ring embossed all the way around the bulge. The case rim is torn up in two locations nearly 180° apart from each other. Additionally, the primer was blown out of the case. I did not notice any difference in the report or recoil at all. After clearing the malfunction the gun continued to operate without issue with all three ammo types after I removed the primer from the trigger mechanism

Any thoughts on what happened here? Overpressure?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21834568/Expanded%20Case.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21834568/Dented%20round.jpg

foxtrotx1
10-06-13, 14:45
Shitty reloaded ammo overpressure. Plain and simple. My advice: Shop elsewhere.

GUNSLINGER733
10-06-13, 15:59
Over pressured crappy ammo.

Iraqgunz
10-06-13, 16:23
As I recall, if you search around, you will find that they have put out ammo that was over-pressure.

cmkirkham
10-06-13, 16:38
Thanks for the input. I figured that might be the case, but I've never dealt with it before. I intend to contact them to see if I can get some recourse.

chamber143
10-06-13, 17:30
Be careful when dealing with a lot of companies that remanufacture or reload ammo. There are a few really good companies but I suggest stay with first run ammo from reliable sources. They money you save with some companies wont replace your rifle when it blows up. Good luck in the future.