PDA

View Full Version : Any help with a preban post ban situation?

Veracity
04-28-08, 11:13
Guys,

As suggested here, I contacted Specialized Armament in search of a new Colt...or at least a new one that could be made NY legal (ban state)

Tina sent me this email, but it doesn't quite jibe with what I thought I knew about the Assault Weapons Ban in New York.

Some of my NYS AWB "experts" disagree with some of the info in Tina's email. I was rereading the law, and I too disagree with the bit about LE not being allowed on the receiver...and the "date of manufacture." All that is necessary is that it's NY legal.

If you buy a preban lower, then you can have prebab goodies on the rifle. I don't want any preban goodies. I want the 6920 to be neutered.

...currently the MT6400C is not available and delivery time on these is
quite extended from the factory. We could actually "produce" a NY
legal 6920 though. The only question that I have is regarding the NY
restrictions on "date of production" as I have received conflicting
information. I have been told that it cannot be marked with the L/E
markings (not a problem - but this has to be noted otherwise it would
be on a current production lower), that it has to be produced prior to
the 1994 federal assault weapon ban also not an issue but it would be
able to have the "6920" markings on the receiver - these are all
marked AR15-A3 Tactical Carbine."

I know the vast majority of you guys are "free state" but I'm looking to sort this out before Wednesday afternoon. There's a preban Colt I can buy that will not be available after Wednesday. Can't buy both...so I'd like to straighten this out.

Ron S.
04-28-08, 11:37
I'm a New Yorker as well, and I was thinking of the Colt, but when my dealer (in PA) said that the Bushmaster was of equal or better quality, and let me look at the two (he owns both), I saw that I actually preferred the Bushmaster. Plus, the Colts are harder to find, and cost a LOT more. My choice was a Colt M4A3 for about $1400 or so, or the Bushmaster A3 for $929. Yep...that was an easy choice. No modifications needed...just got the "Post Ban" Carbine.

Anyway, sounds like they gave you a bit of a "muddy" answer. Don't know what to think about that.

Oh, and don't buy a pre-ban...you'll pay a fortune for things you don't need, and that don't make a difference.

texasyid
04-28-08, 12:15
my dealer (in PA) said that the Bushmaster was of equal or better quality

Let me take a wild guess. He did not have any Colts in stock. :)

To the op. I can't answer your question but have bought two AR's from SAW and have been happy with both of them

markm
04-28-08, 12:35

It sounds like the dealer had both. It's just that the dealer doesn't know jack shit about ARs.

Ron S.
04-28-08, 12:42

It sounds like the dealer had both. It's just that the dealer doesn't know jack shit about ARs.

He didn't have either in stock. Like I said, though, he had his personal rifles in both brands to let me look over. I really did prefer the Bushmaster. I'll admit; I considered getting the Colt mostly because of the name. After all, it's a "Colt"! However, I soon got over that, and ordered myself a Bushmaster with a rail system, harris bipod, and skeleton stock, all for the price of the base Colt.

HES
04-28-08, 14:12
Perhaps for the price of the base Colt, but oh man the physical things you are missing out on. You'll spend quite a bit more to correct the material shortcomings of that Bushmaster if this is for HD. Still if you want it just for plinking then I guess it will do.

Ron S.
04-28-08, 14:44
Perhaps for the price of the base Colt, but oh man the physical things you are missing out on. You'll spend quite a bit more to correct the material shortcomings of that Bushmaster if this is for HD. Still if you want it just for plinking then I guess it will do.

M4 is an entry gun, and I'm a civilian, so yep, it's a plinker. ;-)

No one's going to be shooting an M4 for accuracy.

Keith E.
04-29-08, 13:04
No one's going to be shooting an M4 for accuracy.

I do. :)

Keith

Ron S.
04-29-08, 14:03
I do. :)

Keith

Didn't say you couldn't try. :D

Iraqgunz
04-29-08, 16:49
Ken is a highly respected person in the community and used to teach a great course. Having said that it is easy to understand that they may have recived some information that is contrary to what the norm is. I would have checked with a local dealer and asked them to show me what is currently allowed, said thank you and then contacted SAW again and advised them. But, understand that in our litigious society no one wants to lose their business over a couple of hundred dollar gun deal.

As for the Bushmaster. Read the stuff on the boards here, look at the obvious differences in quality and the shortcuts that Bushmaster takes and then ask yourself if it is acceptable to you. If I was trusting my life to weapon I would want to rule out potential malfunctions that could occur due to manufacturing.

I carry a BM here in Iraq because I have to. But, I also upgraded the extractor, staked the bolt carrier keys properly, staked the castle nut, ensured that it had an H buffer, good quailty mags and ammo.

Just some food for thought.

Cold Zero
04-29-08, 18:38
I think the first thing for you to do is to read the NYS AWB in great detail yourself. You will/could be the one who will /could be ultimately responsible for what you possess.

That being said, it is my understanding that you can have them make you an upper that is 16" barrel, bayonet lug, flashider, marked with whatever as long as it does not say restricted LE/Gov't only and put that on a pre ban lower and be in compliance. This is only my opinion.

I am neither an expert on the ban nor an attorney. I don't see how when the barrel or upper receiver was made effects things when it is the date of manufacture of the lower that is the focus. The lower being "The Gun". Hope that helps, there is much conflicting information out there to be sure.

Ron S.
04-29-08, 19:03
In NY you do have to have a fixed muzzle brake, though, as threaded barrels are not allowed. You also can't have that bayonet lug.