PDA

View Full Version : T1 Mount LaRue vs KAC

702Warfighter
10-07-13, 18:45
Recently got a T1 with a DD mount from Grant (Awesome service btw) but now I'm looking for a qd mount and I was looking at either larue or Kac and I'm not sure which one to go with. Does anyone here have experience with the Kac mount? It's hard to find reviews on it.

mcmillanman5
10-07-13, 18:56
I had a KAC t1 mount for a while that I had gotten in a trade. It worked fine, never had any problems with it but I didn't like how long the release lever was. Not saying it was a problem, just always bothered me though.

I don't buy Larue stuff so can't comment on them. Currently have two t1 mounts from ADM and like their offerings.

702Warfighter
10-07-13, 18:59
I've owned ADM mounts before and I never had a problem with them either.. I did read that some people had problems with the Kac mount loosening up on them but Idk if it was hearsay or fact.

kdcgrohl
10-08-13, 08:51
I have both and while the KAC is nice and I've had zero problems, between the two I prefer the Larue(functionally, not aesthetically).

It's built stronger IMO. That said, I do have a GDI mount inbound to check out.:cool:

C4IGrant
10-08-13, 09:09
Recently got a T1 with a DD mount from Grant (Awesome service btw) but now I'm looking for a qd mount and I was looking at either larue or Kac and I'm not sure which one to go with. Does anyone here have experience with the Kac mount? It's hard to find reviews on it.

Honestly, I would not go with either of those mounts. My FIRST choice is Bobro. Second is GDI. My budget leader is the ADM setup.

With that said, most people do NOT need a QD mount and would be surprised to learn that the DD mount WILL return to a pretty close zero (especially if you draw witness marks on the screw and the base). So really think about how many times in a year you will be needing to remove that optic.

C4

TehLlama
10-09-13, 19:08
I've wound up benching my KAC mount (well, mounting on my MD SR-15 that gets neglected) because I just have so many ADM and LT mounts already around.

Unless multiple optics need to live on that upper, just run the DD.

702Warfighter
10-10-13, 22:53
Thanks fellas. I'll probably just stick with the DD since I do not plan on swapping optics on the rifle.

WS6
10-11-13, 09:16
Honestly, I would not go with either of those mounts. My FIRST choice is Bobro. Second is GDI. My budget leader is the ADM setup.

With that said, most people do NOT need a QD mount and would be surprised to learn that the DD mount WILL return to a pretty close zero (especially if you draw witness marks on the screw and the base). So really think about how many times in a year you will be needing to remove that optic.

C4

What does the GDI do better than the LaRue? Both are pretty well proven to return to zero (as is the Bobro), but one of the three costs about what two of the others do (GDI). So...what's the sell-point?

C4IGrant
10-11-13, 09:21
What does the GDI do better than the LaRue? Both are pretty well proven to return to zero (as is the Bobro), but one of the three costs about what two of the others do (GDI). So...what's the sell-point?

The same thing that the Bobro does. Larger contact area which in turn means that they retain zero better.

GDI mounts are simply bomb proof.

C4

Koshinn
10-11-13, 09:46
So I've apparently bent that little locking arm on my KAC T-1 mount... again.

I'd have to suggest the ADM mount over the KAC.

Airhasz
10-11-13, 19:16
The same thing that the Bobro does. Larger contact area which in turn means that they retain zero better.

GDI mounts are simply bomb proof.

C4

If you can salvage a fragment, Larue will send you a new mount no questions asked.

C4IGrant
10-11-13, 19:55
If you can salvage a fragment, Larue will send you a new mount no questions asked.

Uhm, sure.

C4

Boba Fett v2
10-12-13, 02:49
I've had positive experiences running ADM mounts with micros and scopes. They are good mounts.

RHINOWSO
10-12-13, 15:33
I like ADM mounts, use them exclusively but I have had Larues in the past, they are good as well, just prefer the ADM QD setup.

702Warfighter
10-12-13, 15:35
Yes, I like the ADM setup being tool less but the micro mount is so bulky and ugly lol. I'm sticking with the DD mount anyway for the time being.

Boba Fett v2
10-12-13, 16:02
Yes, I like the ADM setup being tool less but the micro mount is so bulky and ugly lol. I'm sticking with the DD mount anyway for the time being.

?

The ADM is no more "bulky and ugly" than the LaRue mount.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Voodoo_Man
10-12-13, 16:29
I run an H1 on an LT751.

I would probably put it on a KAC mount if I could get one for standard height. I remember when I was looking for one I couldn't get a KAC but could get an LT mount.

review of h1 and mount
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2012/12/aimpoint-h1-on-larue-751.html

britishtq
10-13-13, 03:54
I haven't owned either but I will say the Daniel defense mount got the shot beat out of it and still kept the aimpoint zeroed and mounted to the rifle. I'm becoming a Daniel defense fanboy.

C4IGrant
10-13-13, 07:35

I imagine other companies would be happy to do that as well.

C4

Djstorm100
10-13-13, 18:40
Let me ask this, I've traded that the lock up in larue are not that great compare to others but never could find solid info on the matter.

Brono being the one returning to zero the closet?

Using tapatalk

Voodoo_Man
10-13-13, 19:15
Let me ask this, I've traded that the lock up in larue are not that great compare to others but never could find solid info on the matter.

Using tapatalk

I have never had an issue with zero after re-attachment with a larue, I have had over a dozen mounts in the last 5 years.

Now, I do confirm zero every chance I get, sometimes things walk.

Not to sound like I am shilling larue or anything, they are just my go to mount.

bb223
10-13-13, 19:44
Used a bunch of LaRue mounts, haven't been happy with any (love their BUIS though) so I would go KAC over LaRue.

But if it's out for the Micro, I'd take Bobro over anything I've tried.

britishtq
10-13-13, 22:18
I had a Larue, very high quality mount, and I'll be trying the ADM this week. I can't speak to KAC though. All I can say is you won't be sad with a Larue.

Tootsies
10-14-13, 13:11
I have both, I like both. The Larue is probably better in my book, but the KAC is just sexy.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/9656225096_99774e9f1a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99028180@N02/9656225096/)
IMG_20130902_093832 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99028180@N02/9656225096/) by tb5252 (http://www.flickr.com/people/99028180@N02/), on Flickr

BigLarge
10-17-13, 22:03
Everybody seems obsessed with "return to zero." Maybe i'm alone here, if but running a 2 or 4 moa aimpoint mirco who cares if Larue does <1moa and Bobro does <.75moa? 99.99% of people shooting a micro wont be able to tell the difference.

What matters, to me, is which is the toughest? Which is the easiest to use, especially under stress? What about warranty?

steyrman13
10-17-13, 22:35
Everybody seems obsessed with "return to zero." Maybe i'm alone here, if but running a 2 or 4 moa aimpoint mirco who cares if Larue does <1moa and Bobro does <.75moa? 99.99% of people shooting a micro wont be able to tell the difference.

What matters, to me, is which is the toughest? Which is the easiest to use, especially under stress? What about warranty?

I have shot to distances of 550 and 625 with a 2moa comp m4 and t1. If the RTZ is only 2 Moa, I could miss my 10-12" at that distance. That is the reasoning for the obsession. Just because the dot size is 2 or 4 Moa, doesn't mean you can only shoot a 2 or 4 Moa circle. If that is the best you could do, then a RTZ of >1 could mean even further misses by up to 16" at those distances.

BigLarge
10-18-13, 04:12
I have shot to distances of 550 and 625 with a 2moa comp m4 and t1. If the RTZ is only 2 Moa, I could miss my 10-12" at that distance. That is the reasoning for the obsession. Just because the dot size is 2 or 4 Moa, doesn't mean you can only shoot a 2 or 4 Moa circle. If that is the best you could do, then a RTZ of >1 could mean even further misses by up to 16" at those distances.

I should have clarified better. I meant if Bobro has a (hypothetically speaking) 0.25MOA better RTZ than, say, Larue then the difference isnt that big of a deal on this type of optic. If we were talking about a NXS 2.5-10 then sure. Granted, i'm referencing my own personal needs. Whenever I see someone reference Bobro being better it generally revolves around RTZ. For a micro optic, for me, there are other things which are just as, if not more, important. However, I rarely see those things discussed.

steyrman13
10-18-13, 08:02
I should have clarified better. I meant if Bobro has a (hypothetically speaking) 0.25MOA better RTZ than, say, Larue then the difference isnt that big of a deal on this type of optic. If we were talking about a NXS 2.5-10 then sure. Granted, i'm referencing my own personal needs. Whenever I see someone reference Bobro being better it generally revolves around RTZ. For a micro optic, for me, there are other things which are just as, if not more, important. However, I rarely see those things discussed.

Tracking now. I see what you mean there. I think the only time people worry is with larue if the divot it makes on the reliever gets bigger it could continuity open up RTZ unless you re tighten and re zero although it would take it being setup too right in the first place and LOTS of removing and mounting to cause that in my experience

C4IGrant
10-18-13, 08:59

Returning to zero and RETAINING zero are important. Less so with a RDS though (agree).

What matters most to me is, will the mount become loose on my rail because the lever has created a "pocket" on the side of my rail.

C4

WS6
10-18-13, 09:33

Using tapatalk

I have read of optic tests which confirm that they require being VERY tight (to the point of not being QD) if you intend to be very rough with things.

I wish I could find the link, but it was an abusive gear review and the mount shifted on the weapon when dropped, is the gist of things, I believe, causing a zero-shift. This was prevented by cranking down on the adjustment nut.

WS6
10-18-13, 09:33
Returning to zero and RETAINING zero are important. Less so with a RDS though (agree).

What matters most to me is, will the mount become loose on my rail because the lever has created a "pocket" on the side of my rail.

C4

Have you ever seen said "pocket" created by an intelligently used LaRue mount on a quality upper?

Colt6920
10-18-13, 14:02
Have you ever seen said "pocket" created by an intelligently used LaRue mount on a quality upper?
I have never seen one on any of my guns.

2 LT eotech riser mounts
2 Nighforce 2.5-10's
1 Shortdot in LT mount
1 Lupy 3.5-10 on my ecr
2 Aimpoint t1's
All have been at speeds up to 60mph in rough, muddy, sandy and dusty
area on different hunts.
I rarely remove them though.
All stay zero'd.

mike240
10-18-13, 14:58
I have used the LT for years and like it very much. I can also store a spare battery inside/under the tall mount. For a non qd mount I like the Seekins. I have seen it and shot the rifle it was on but do not own one.

C4IGrant
10-18-13, 15:00

Yes. Seen them online, my own gun and on Mr. Hackathorn's gun.

On top of this, I have spoken to engineers that explain to me (in painful detail) how the mount cannot help but slide back and fourth AND seen Hi-Speed Video from a .Mil test of the mount that was tightened properly on the rail, move back and fourth.

C4

Airhasz
10-18-13, 15:09

On top of this, I have spoken to engineers that explain to me (in painful detail) how the mount cannot help but slide back and fourth AND seen Hi-Speed Video from a .Mil test of the mount that was tightened properly on the rail, move back and fourth.

C4

How did they test the mount during the video? Hard use or some shaker machine?

C4IGrant
10-18-13, 15:13
How did they test the mount during the video? Hard use or some shaker machine?

They actually weren't testing the mount. They were testing the gun (it just happened to be on it).

The weren't using any special "shaking" machine, they were simply shooting it. ;)

C4

BigLarge
10-19-13, 02:33

C4

Interesting....

So why is Bobro your pick over GDI?

Djstorm100
10-19-13, 11:14

C4

Grant what's the correct way to mount the 1/3 co- witness larue mount for t1/h1?

Using tapatalk

C4IGrant
10-19-13, 15:47
Interesting....

So why is Bobro your pick over GDI?

I think it is more advanced and is cheaper.

C4

C4IGrant
10-19-13, 15:51
Grant what's the correct way to mount the 1/3 co- witness larue mount for t1/h1?

Using tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aBI3YOnNj7Y

C4

coastwatcher42
10-24-13, 23:14
Has anyone used the A.R.M.S. #31 micro mount? How does it compare to the KAC, LaRue, GDI, and ADM?

kevN
10-25-13, 00:19
Has anyone used the A.R.M.S. #31 micro mount? How does it compare to the KAC, LaRue, GDI, and ADM?

Generally, the arms lever mechanism is not thought well of at this point. It was one of the first qd mechs but others have obsoleted it with far superior end results.

I have used Larue mounts quite a bit but prefer the ADM adjustment mechanism and less rail marring. No experience with the KAC or GDI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)