PDA

View Full Version : Best comp

1911vm
10-07-13, 19:46
what is the best comp that requires little to no timing . I need to install and pin the comp. I would not be able to go to the range and play wit it.

fixit69
10-07-13, 20:31
I'm sure ther are some that require little timing, but a comp or at least the ones I am familiar with, require timing to do thier respective job. There are many that do a fine job that have been discussed at length on this site.

Good luck

IndianaBoy
10-07-13, 21:49
Miculek is pretty forgiving but you can visually time a comp with either crush or peel washers and then pin it. Many comps can have a jet port drilled and then you can open it up in small increments to tune the comp. I drilled and tapped my Nordic comp for a machine screw which I drilled a small hole in the center of because I had a little too much downforce.

Iraqgunz
10-07-13, 22:16
I don't understand the question. There is no need to install/time a comp and then go to the range. All that you need to do is follow the instructions. Most all of them will tell you how to do it.

I recommend a Bravo Comp that is designed for that purpose and is already pre-drilled.

Hmac
10-07-13, 22:25
It seems to me that the very nature of an effective compensator mandates that it be timed.

Anyway, what's the big beal with timing? Crush washer, tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen until you're 90 degrees short of timed, give it that last 90 degrees and you're done. It's a 5 minute project. Only way to screw it up is if you go past optimal timing too much, in which case you grab another crush washer and start over.

Why would you need to go to the range?

HuntingTime
10-09-13, 13:42
Get an effin a comp and you can tune it after it is pinned.

plouffedaddy
10-09-13, 15:48
what is the best comp that requires little to no timing . I need to install and pin the comp. I would not be able to go to the range and play wit it.

Agreed with others that 'timing' it is very simple and doesn't require a range trip so long as you follow the instructions on 95+% of comps.

Just to ensure we give the answer you're looking for---do you prioritize a lack of muzzle climb, felt recoil, blast, ect... when defining "best?"

Koshinn
10-09-13, 16:12

Many brakes don't require "timing" if you don't care about dirt and dust being kicked up.

RST Customer Rep
10-09-13, 16:18
I don't understand the question. There is no need to install/time a comp and then go to the range. All that you need to do is follow the instructions. Most all of them will tell you how to do it.

I recommend a Bravo Comp that is designed for that purpose and is already pre-drilled.

+1 for the BCM Comp. I have one on my 14.5 pinned and welded. It works well as both a comp and a flash hider.I like how my M9 Phrobis Bayonet will fit with it as well. I tried it on my 10.5 and while it helped with muzzle rise it was SOOO loud, even with electronic earpro. And of course it did nothing for the flash. Nothing much will on a shorty tho.

Ryno12
10-09-13, 16:26

Pardon the slight derail, but do you or anyone for that matter, know about a 7.62 version of the BCM comp? I saw it listed on the back of the packaging for 5.56 comp but I haven't seen it listed on BCMs website.

Sent via Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
10-09-13, 16:30
Sorry, I don't.

Pardon the slight derail, but do you or anyone for that matter, know about a 7.62 version of the BCM comp? I saw it listed on the back of the packaging for 5.56 comp but I haven't seen it listed on BCMs website.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
10-09-13, 16:38
Sorry, I don't.

No problem. Thanks

Next time you talk to Paul, can you tell him to whip one up for me? I'd even swing by to pick it up. :p

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
10-09-13, 16:44
OP, I third the motion for a BCM comp. I have one pinned on a 14.5" BCM upper I built. It took about 15 minutes to attach, drill the barrel, pin & weld. Pretty simple

Sent via Tapatalk

Boba Fett v2
10-09-13, 16:45
Try Griffin Armament comps. They're quality and they work.

OP, crush washers are cheap. Buy a pack of 10 and play with as many comps as you need to until you're satisfied and settle for one. Timing is nothing. Red Loctite that shit down after you've settled on a comp you prefer.

Cylinder Head
10-09-13, 17:05
BCM's comp is great as previously mentioned. Battlecomp makes an excellent product that I've been happy with and if you plan to suppress the Surefire brakes are excellent but very loud and do little to alleviate flash.

Hmac
10-09-13, 18:04
I've not tried the BCM, but I respect the brand and the price makes it worth considering if starting from scratch.

I have BattleComp 1.0 on all my rifles, including two 11.5 SBRs and have not had any reason whatsoever to consider anything to replace them. And BCE's customer service is truly extraordinary.

I did have a PWS FSC556 on a 16 inch barrel for awhile. That did suck.

houdini23
10-10-13, 09:11
Miculek is pretty forgiving but you can visually time a comp with either crush or peel washers and then pin it.

I have really been impressed with my Miculek brake.

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 09:44
Off the top of my head, the only comps that would require range time would be the Effin-A and B comps and that would only be for 'fine tuning' which ports you want to have screws in.

Freelance
10-10-13, 11:52
Love my Battle Comps 1.0 and 1.5 and 2.0 on my 5.56's and BABC on my 6.8 and 300BLK.

Damon1976
10-10-13, 11:59
Lanrac Dragon

ColtSeavers
10-10-13, 12:52
Off the top of my head, the only comps that would need range time would be the Effin-A and B comps and that is only for fine tuning (deciding which screws you want to leave installed or not). Everything else should be pretty obvious and easy to time without going to the range as previously mentioned.

TactTeam
10-10-13, 15:30
I did have a PWS FSC556 on a 16 inch barrel for awhile. That did suck.

Just out of curiosity.....what did you not like?

Sound or function?

Hmac
10-10-13, 15:39
Just out of curiosity.....what did you not like?

Sound or function?

Noise and blast. It was impressive. Even more so than my buddy's Surefire.

As a compensator, it functioned OK, but to me, not noticeably better than my BattleComp.

TactTeam
10-10-13, 15:45
Noise and blast. It was impressive. Even more so than my buddy's Surefire.

As a compensator, it functioned OK, but to me, not noticeably better than my BattleComp.

Okay, I was just curious. I have owned 2. One 556 and a .30 cal for the 6.8. I love them.

I was shooting beside a buddy last week with his gun having a surefire brake and mine the PWS, both on a 16" BCM barrel.

The three of us there thought mine had less concussion and both of the other guys are talking about switching to PWS for function after shooting both rifles.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and personal interpretation of function.

It is much louder than a standard A2, though.

1911vm
10-10-13, 16:23
Thank you all. for you in put. I have not been able to respond. a flat shooting rifle to me is the most important. living in Connecticut to day all I need is to get stopped with unpinned 14.5 barrel. I would make 6 o'clock news fast. that's why I just want to pin it and forget about it.

plouffedaddy
10-11-13, 07:12
Thank you all. for you in put. I have not been able to respond. a flat shooting rifle to me is the most important. living in Connecticut to day all I need is to get stopped with unpinned 14.5 barrel. I would make 6 o'clock news fast. that's why I just want to pin it and forget about it.

Side ported brakes seem to shoot very flat. The Miculek, and Lantac Dragon do a great job at that but they're pretty blasty.
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8292/1qbh.jpg

For a little less blast but still good control of muzzle rise the Battlecomp and Manticore NightBrake are very effective as well.

My Battlecomp review with day/night shooting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb3X27foBfo)

My NightBrake review with day/night shooting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io2wilwieY0)