PDA

View Full Version : good AR based multitool?

hogarth
10-08-13, 07:45
Want one to keep with my AR, maybe on my vest. Not sure what features I seek. Some drivers, front sight tool, etc, all in a multicolor/Swiss army style package. Any recommendations?

mildot
10-08-13, 08:09
What about the "Multitasker" ???

Ryno12
10-08-13, 08:11
I love my Leatherman MUT, so much in fact, I own a couple of them.

http://www.leatherman.com/29.html

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
10-08-13, 08:14
Multitasker. Check Brownells. Very useful tool.

jmoney
10-08-13, 08:30
multitasker series three, i'm pretty sure skdtac has them in stock right now

Tzook
10-08-13, 08:40
Multitasker. Check Brownells. Very useful tool.

This.

hogarth
10-08-13, 08:52
Wow! Thanks guys!

I will look into the multitasker and also the leatherman.

C_1
10-08-13, 08:55
Another vote for the Leatherman MUT.

kdcgrohl
10-08-13, 08:55
I love my Leatherman MUT, so much in fact, I own a couple of them.

http://www.leatherman.com/29.html

Sent via Tapatalk

The best way to describe the MUT is a great Multi that also applies to firearms. Good tool to have in your pocket for anything, and I use mine all the time.

glocktogo
10-08-13, 09:56
The MUT is excellent, but it's pretty heavy.

Sone
10-08-13, 12:46
The Multitasker is a great tool and does everything I need it to do

Hmac
10-08-13, 13:06
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_080001043_37.jpg

Series3 multitool for AR platform rifles
CNC billet pliers (D2 tool steel)
Non-slip G10 scales (BLK or TAN)
3/8” hex for LaRueTM mounts
1/2” hex for scope rings
Dual lug M4 castle nut spanner wrench/bottle opener + screwdriver
3/32” pin punch with 8-32 male thread for Otis cleaning kit compatibility
Radiused tip carbon scraper
3” D2 tool steel knife blade
Pocket clip (removable)
1/4” magnetic bit driver with M16A2 FSP Adjuster
Also includes 10 hex bits for the most commonly used AR accessories

LtNovakUSA
10-08-13, 16:14
I have both the MUT and the multitasker, and I find the MUT to be a better all around tool, but if you are getting a tool just for working on the gun at the range the multitasker may be a better fit. If you are taking it out to the field, camping or whatnot, the MUT will give you a little more versatility with other than AR tasks. Really wish it had a file though.

Hmac
10-08-13, 17:17
Yeah, Multitasker is a gun tool. Useful at the range or during courses etc for doing things to the AR. Not a general-purpose utility tool.

Iraqgunz
10-08-13, 21:08
I was involved in some of the early testing of the Multitasker back when I was in Iraq. It has definitely evolved since then and always carry one in my tool kit or range bag.

narco23
10-09-13, 19:08
Would love a Multitasker. Seems like a great tool. I have the MUT and also love that. As mentioned above it is a great multi tool that can apply to firearms.

LoveAR
10-09-13, 19:18
H,

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting a tool like these and was not aware of what was available. Now I am.

Cylinder Head
10-09-13, 19:22
Another for the MUT. It gets lonely when I shoot my SR-15 but in classes it helps all the Stag and Bushmaster guys get back to the line.

britishtq
10-13-13, 00:23
Multitasker seems cool but for $119? Idk.

Iraqgunz
10-13-13, 01:21
Myself and other professionals have used it and it works good. None of these multitools are cheap. But the Multitasker is made specifically to used with an AR.

Hmac
10-13-13, 02:11

The MUT is the same price, but without the same AR15 usefulness.

Ryno12
10-13-13, 06:22
The MUT is the same price, but without the same AR15 usefulness.

The Multitasker is the same price, but without the same 'everything else' usefulness. :p

*Hmac, you seem emotionally invested in your purchase. It reminds me a little of an individual we had a conversation with about optics recently.
J/K, bud. Only giving you a hard time. :D

Actually, I've seen the MUT selling for under $100, just gotta watch for it. OP, based on my experience with the MUT & the other individual's recommendations, it sounds like either tool will serve you well. If it's a tool you're only going to leave in your range bag, I'd lean towards the Multitasker. If it's a tool you'll want to use around the house, then toss into the range bag when you go shooting, you may want the MUT. Both have pro's/con's, you'll have to weigh them out & see which one you'll get more "use per dollar" with.

Sent via Tapatalk

Hmac
10-13-13, 07:13
The Multitasker is the same price, but without the same 'everything else' usefulness. :p

*Hmac, you seem emotionally invested in your purchase. It reminds me a little of an individual we had a conversation with about optics recently.
J/K, bud. Only giving you a hard time. :D

Actually, I've seen the MUT selling for under $100, just gotta watch for it. OP, based on my experience with the MUT & the other individual's recommendations, it sounds like either tool will serve you well. If it's a tool you're only going to leave in your range bag, I'd lean towards the Multitasker. If it's a tool you'll want to use around the house, then toss into the range bag when you go shooting, you may want the MUT. Both have pro's/con's, you'll have to weigh them out & see which one you'll get more "use per dollar" with.

Well, I'm not taking a chance on not having the best tool..I'm ordering an MUT right now.

:)

Ryno12
10-13-13, 07:47
Well, I'm not taking a chance on not having the best tool..I'm ordering an MUT right now.

:)

Well that settles it. I'm getting a Multitasker then. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Seagunner
10-14-13, 14:48
GERBER MULTI-PLIER 600 The military version has a carbon scraper and a sight adjustment tool. Ebay slightly used under 30 bucks.