PDA

View Full Version : Gov't "shutdown" fallout on our fallen Warriors

Hootiewho
10-08-13, 12:08
This is absolutely sickening. Political pony show aside, there are some lines that should not be crossed.

http://m.today.com/news/shutdown-denies-death-benefits-families-fallen-soldiers-8C11355842

Mauser KAR98K
10-08-13, 12:16
Yet, the EBT and SS money is still going out in droves.

People need to start going to prison, particularly starting with those in the White House.

William B.
10-08-13, 12:36
They had to cut somewhere didn't they? :suicide2: You didn't expect them to make cuts here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaries_of_members_of_the_United_States_Congress) or anything did you? Enfuriating...

R/Tdrvr
10-08-13, 12:43
What's really f'ed up about this, is that the death benefit comes from the SGLI, which is paid into by the members.

Javelin
10-08-13, 12:44
I recieved a letter back from my congressional representative Sam Johnson regarding the Veterans bill that would ensure the families of severely wounded Soldiers returning from war have the necessities they need while they await the broken VA system backlog and his reply was that the deficit is too high and that the democrats would not offset the costs to approve it.

So I usually do not retort back to a representative as it does no good but I did in this case. I told him that our returning grossly wounded veterans are not to be used as political bargaining chips and that the burden of deficite spending bills should not be placed and carried on the backs of wounded veterans.

I received no response in return.

Javelin
10-08-13, 12:48
Also, I know of two people that are going to have to probably quit school as the government is not paying the GI bill benefits. They paid in the entire time while in service to the GI bill as required by law and now the government is not keeping their end of the bargain.

Lesson learned is this: you work for the government you better not take their word even in writing as you don't matter.

crusader377
10-08-13, 13:52
This is absolutely sickening. Political pony show aside, there are some lines that should not be crossed.

http://m.today.com/news/shutdown-denies-death-benefits-families-fallen-soldiers-8C11355842

I think this just proves how much the left in this country and the Obama administration hates the military and the individuals who serve this great nation. Lots of things in government are still funded including EBT, food stamps for illegals etc...

Renegade
10-08-13, 14:18
$100K?

Wow did not realize we were paying that much. That should really cover most families short-term needs to take care of business. And getting it to them in 36 hours, that is cool too. Barry is really doing everything he can to inflict pain in Americans during this crisis, but this has to be the lowest thing I have ever head of.

Eurodriver
10-08-13, 14:40
Also, I know of two people that are going to have to probably quit school as the government is not paying the GI bill benefits. They paid in the entire time while in service to the GI bill as required by law and now the government is not keeping their end of the bargain.

Lesson learned is this: you work for the government you better not take their word even in writing as you don't matter.

They have no one to blame but themselves. Tuition is paid at the beginning of the semester in full. You must be speaking about the housing allowance, which is paid on the first of every month and that wouldn't affect their enrollment in school at all or their personal finances until Nov 1st.

I have a savings account. I don't rely on uncle Sam or anyone to pay me on time so that I don't go under. Maybe they will learn from this.

ETA: Above applies to post 9/11. if they're using the MGIB the savings account rule still applies.

SeriousStudent
10-08-13, 23:47
Does anyone know of an organization that I can contribute to, that will help with the airline expenses of these folks?

I'd like to contribute towards their expenses getting to and from Dover AFB. Let me know if you have a lead on this.

I'd like to say I'm surprised by this, but I'm not. Just sickened, like Chad.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-09-13, 01:26
I have a savings account. I don't rely on uncle Sam or anyone to pay me on time so that I don't go under. Maybe they will learn from this.

ETA: Above applies to post 9/11. if they're using the MGIB the savings account rule still applies.

Good for you. However, I really dont think its fair to damn them for not having saved enough. It should be a lesson learned for us all though: our troops are and always will be political pawns. "Support the troops" goes as far as the support that they can give to the political cause de jure.

Javelin
10-09-13, 01:55
They have no one to blame but themselves. Tuition is paid at the beginning of the semester in full. You must be speaking about the housing allowance, which is paid on the first of every month and that wouldn't affect their enrollment in school at all or their personal finances until Nov 1st.

Not sure you understand how the GI Bill works. Soldiers have to pay into it out of their already pathetically low paychecks every month while they serve.

Javelin
10-09-13, 02:01
But you know it really doesn't matter. The government isn't ours anymore anyway so what can anyone do about it. I've lost faith and grown tired of the corruption.

Javelin
10-09-13, 04:19
http://us.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=26048&external=2360728.proteus.fma

"Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki is spelling out some of the dire consequences for veterans of a long-term government shutdown, with about 3.8 million veterans not getting a disability check next month if the shutdown continues into late October.

Shinseki says some 315,000 veterans and 202,000 surviving spouses and dependents would also see pension payments stopped.

In all, more than $6 billion in payments would be halted with an extended shutdown.

Shinseki is set to testify Wednesday before the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. The Associated Press obtained a copy of his written testimony."

Eurodriver
10-09-13, 06:47
Not sure you understand how the GI Bill works. Soldiers have to pay into it out of their already pathetically low paychecks every month while they serve.

They stopped that in August of 2008 when the Post 9/11 GI Bill took effect. No one pays into their GI Bill anymore (with the exception of maybe some service-only kickers? But that'd be the Army's, not the VA's problem. )

I've lost faith and grown tired of the corruption.

Agree fully.

Caduceus
10-09-13, 07:36

There's a whole bunch of Native American tribes that already know this lesson.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-09-13, 08:05
They stopped that in August of 2008 when the Post 9/11 GI Bill took effect. No one pays into their GI Bill anymore (with the exception of maybe some service-only kickers? But that'd be the Army's, not the VA's problem. )

Agree fully.

I dont think thats totally true. Isnt every service member required to pay $1200 into it regardless of whether or not they use it?

Pork Chop
10-09-13, 08:11
Does anyone know of an organization that I can contribute to, that will help with the airline expenses of these folks?

I'd like to contribute towards their expenses getting to and from Dover AFB. Let me know if you have a lead on this.

Just heard this on fox. Fisher House Foundation is stepping up.
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2360806.proteus.fma

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-09-13, 08:30

Unless you are in a union.

Eurodriver
10-09-13, 08:35
I dont think thats totally true. Isnt every service member required to pay $1200 into it regardless of whether or not they use it?

No.

You do not pay $1200 anymore. The last $100 monthly payment was stopped in August of 2008.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for anyone with 90 days of active duty service (prorated) after 9/11. You don't "opt in" for it like you did with the MGIB.

skydivr
10-09-13, 10:12
Calculated to hurt the opponents of the Dems...

So, when are they going to announce delays/withholds on welfare benefits? WIC?

Caeser25
10-09-13, 11:48
Absolutely disgusting.

Caeser25
10-09-13, 11:48
Calculated to hurt the opponents of the Dems...

So, when are they going to announce delays/withholds on welfare benefits? WIC?

Never.

Javelin
10-09-13, 12:01

Agree fully.

Right. He served 2001-2009. He paid. But it doesn't matter.

Caduceus
10-09-13, 12:06
NM, wrong thread.

Eurodriver
10-09-13, 12:29
Right. He served 2001-2009. He paid. But it doesn't matter.

Tell him to get an EBT card.

That thing will *never* run out.

Javelin
10-09-13, 13:02
Tell him to get an EBT card.

That thing will *never* run out.

No I do not think I will do that. He's broke and I and his sister give money so he can buy food. If this is how a "greatful government" treats it's war veterans I would hate to see how an ungrateful one reacts.

Eurodriver
10-09-13, 14:20
No I do not think I will do that. He's broke and I and his sister give money so he can buy food. If this is how a "greatful government" treats it's war veterans I would hate to see how an ungrateful one reacts.

I fail to see how him being broke has anything to do with the shutdown. October 1st's checks went out just like usual (Maybe I was the only one who got mine though, who knows?).

He shouldn't be expecting any pay from the GI Bill (MGIB or Post 9/11) until November 1st.

interfan
10-09-13, 16:24

Just heard this on fox. Fisher House Foundation is stepping up.
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2360806.proteus.fma

Here is the donation site for Fisher House: http://www.fisherhouse.org/donate/

There is a very low ring in hell for whomever made the decision to stop paying death benefits at either the White House or DOD.

SeriousStudent
10-09-13, 22:41
Thanks very much, I have reached out to Fisher House, and also to the Lead The Way Fund.

http://www.leadthewayfund.org/

Two of the fallen were Rangers, and they had a lot more Rangers wounded in that engagement.

interfan
10-09-13, 23:50
Thanks very much, I have reached out to Fisher house, and also to the Lead The Way Fund.

http://www.leadthewayfund.org/

Two of the fallen were Rangers, and they had a lot more Rangers wounded in that engagement.

Thanks. Donated to them, too. Very worthy cause