PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Bulgarian 74, Advice?

Tzook
10-08-13, 14:53
Hey all, traded into a Bulgarian 74 imported by Century with the intention of flipping it. It's kind of grown on me however, and I think it may be fun to keep around for something different.

I realize that this isn't the epitome of a bullet proof AK, but I'm hoping I can work with it. Are there any upgrades or changes that I can do myself that would improve this rifle's reliability? I just want it to run as well as possible.

In addition, I might be looking at some upgrades to improve the rifle's ergonomics. A Tromix bolt knob might be a good option for me, are there any other products I should look at? Maybe some kind of safety improvement? Thanks all for your input, I'm looking forward to this!

BTL BRN
10-08-13, 15:01
A basic cheap upgrade would be to replace the shepherd's hook (trigger and hammer retaining wire) with a Kreb's retaining plate. I am guessing that it already has the Tapco G2 trigger installed - might be the only thing of value that they actually make.

Tzook
10-08-13, 15:04
A basic cheap upgrade would be to replace the shepherd's hook (trigger and hammer retaining wire) with a Kreb's retaining plate. I am guessing that it already has the Tapco G2 trigger installed - might be the only thing of value that they actually make.

Great! Yes, it does have the Tapco trigger. It's not actually that terrible which surprised me

I'm sure there are a ton of great upgrades that could be done by somebody else, but I'm learning that you can't just slap the parts together like you can with ARs

Bret
10-08-13, 16:39
Do you have any pictures of this rifle, especially the manufacturer and import markings on the receiver? I'm pretty in to AK's and as far as I know, Century hasn't imported factory built Bulgarian AK74's.

BTW, my advice is to avoid shooting corrosive ammo in it unless you fully plan to clean the snot out of everything immediately after you shoot it.

KalashniKEV
10-08-13, 16:50
Century hasn't imported factory built Bulgarian AK74's.

This.

OP, read this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74120

Tzook
10-08-13, 17:06
Do you have any pictures of this rifle, especially the manufacturer and import markings on the receiver? I'm pretty in to AK's and as far as I know, Century hasn't imported factory built Bulgarian AK74's.

BTW, my advice is to avoid shooting corrosive ammo in it unless you fully plan to clean the snot out of everything immediately after you shoot it.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab245/tzmanbball/671F29A4-9032-4C72-9D40-C7DDBDEFDD30-16171-00000A0AA7DE06BF_zpsc4e5f22b.jpg?t=1381239048

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab245/tzmanbball/906EEC73-C578-4950-A297-8AFECBCB8CDF-17127-00000A7EFD614DC6_zpscf2037bc.jpg?t=1381269923

Here are some. That's what I was told by the guy I got it from, but like I said I don't know anything at all about AKs. I forgot to take a picture of the bottom of it but on the bottom it says armory USA, Huston TX.

KalashniKEV
10-08-13, 17:59
Global Trades receiver, probably a Green Mountain barrel.

BBossman
10-08-13, 18:07

The only reason to own and shoot a 74 is the cheap corrosive ammo. A trigger spray bottle of 90/10 water/Ballistol negates the effects of the corrosive ammo.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Tzook
10-08-13, 18:27

Should I consider selling this then? I could make a pretty decent little profit off of it for the trade I made. I'm really interested in the AK platform now though and could get something nicer

Bret
10-08-13, 18:34
OK, the rifle is definitely not factory Bulgarian built. It looks to be from a kit built by Century on a US receiver. If the rifle was built right, it actually is the epitome of a bullet proof AK. From the pictures the rivets look good on the outside. Take a look at the uniformity of the rear front trunnion rivets inside the receiver just in front of the magazine well opening. If they look uniformly formed, then that's a good indication of build quality.

Global Trades started going out of the receiver market about the time that NoDak Spud started to scale up production. My guess is that this rifle was built by Century a while ago. If so, it likely has the original barrel. The way to know for sure is to see if it's chrome lined. If it's chrome lined, then it's an original barrel as Century wouldn't have spent the money on chrome lining.

Do the serial numbers on the front trunnion (top picture) and the bolt match? The bolt will only have the last three or four numbers on it.

As far as reliability goes, just shoot it and see how it works. I'd definitely recommend factory Bulgarian military surplus magazines.

Tzook
10-08-13, 18:45
The serial number on the bolt does not match the front trunnion, but the barrel is chrome lined. The rivets look pretty good, I'm no expert but I don't think it looks shoddy. I'll be getting out to shoot tomorrow.

As long as it runs and doesn't keyhole or something horrible like that I'm fine having it as long as I'm not in it for way too much, now that I have an opportunity to get out of it.

I traded something that I had about 675 ish in for this gun, 5 bulgarian mags and 500 rounds of 5.45. Decent?

Bret
10-08-13, 18:55
The serial number on the bolt does not match the front trunnion
I see the serial number on the bolt doesn't match either. Not a problem at all provided that it was headspaced properly. Unfortunately, there's not way to know for sure unless you have headspace gauges. Odds are if you shoot it and don't have any issues, the headspace is fine.

[/quote]the barrel is chrome lined.[/quote]
You shouldn't have any keyholing issues with a Bulgarian barrel (which I bet that it is).

The rivets look pretty good, I'm no expert but I don't think it looks shoddy.
If what you can see looks done right, then odds are what you can't see was done right.

I traded something that I had about 675 ish in for this gun, 5 bulgarian mags and 500 rounds of 5.45. Decent?
From what I see here you did fine. It appears you have a good rifle that you won't have to worry about getting dirty.

Tzook
10-08-13, 19:06
Great!!! I'm sure that it will run as the guy I got it from had a dizzying array of shit-tastic NC Star scopes, laser sights and flashlights hanging off of it.

I threw them in the trash :D

Bret
10-08-13, 19:12
Again, if that's corrosive 5.45x39, you'll need to clean the snot out of the whole rifle.

Dan_93SER
10-08-13, 19:30
I've got one of these built on a NoDak receiver. Like the one in that linked post, mine keyholes. Other than that, the rivets look good, the trigger is nice, and it feeds reliably.

I picked up a virgin Bulgarian barrel to swap in, but haven't gotten around to that project.

Tzook
10-08-13, 19:34
Again, if that's corrosive 5.45x39, you'll need to clean the snot out of the whole rifle.

I believe it is, and yes I will :mad:

Walleye
10-09-13, 12:11
If it's got a chrome lined barrel, you're probably OK. After shooting corrosive, just wash it down with a garden hose, spray out the water with WD-40 or similar, and clean it as usual. If you have the 22mm muzzle brake, make sure you wash it out and clean it too. Use a high temp grease on the threads when putting it back on.

BTL BRN
10-09-13, 13:29
If it's got a chrome lined barrel, you're probably OK. After shooting corrosive, just wash it down with a garden hose, spray out the water with WD-40 or similar, and clean it as usual. If you have the 22mm muzzle brake, make sure you wash it out and clean it too. Use a high temp grease on the threads when putting it back on.

Yeah, the corrosive ammo issue is pretty overblown IME; a simple garden hose (I follow up with some Windex), compressed air and then a light re-lubrication and you are back in business.

The point about removing your muzzle attachment is a good one though, people often overlook that to the peril or your crown/threads.

KalashniKEV
10-09-13, 13:37
It looks to be from a kit built by Century on a US receiver.

I would not call what they're working with a "Kit."

They have a US receiver, a US barrel, and a pile of parts... some serviceable and some unserviceable.

You've made a number of other incorrect assumptions.

Global Trades started going out of the receiver market about the time that NoDak Spud started to scale up production. My guess is that this rifle was built by Century a while ago.

I believe CAI bought up the remainder of their inventory when they closed up shop. When they ran out they switched to NoDak.

Both are good receivers in the hands of a good builder. CAI is not a good builder.

The way to know for sure is to see if it's chrome lined. If it's chrome lined, then it's an original barrel as Century wouldn't have spent the money on chrome lining.

If so, it likely has the original barrel

GM is chroming their barrels now, as well as other manufacturers.

Chrome lining is not an indicator of origin.

The serial number on the bolt does not match the front trunnion, but the barrel is chrome lined.

Parts Bucket.

Odds are if you shoot it and don't have any issues, the headspace is fine.

:confused:

If what you can see looks done right, then odds are what you can't see was done right.

This is terrible advice.

You obviously didn't follow the link I provided and don't have any experience with Century.

If you did, you would see that the rifle "looked right" but had an improper barrel, both inside and out.

From what I see here you did fine. It appears you have a good rifle that you won't have to worry about getting dirty.

No information provided so far has indicated that this is a good rifle.

I've got one of these built on a NoDak receiver. Like the one in that linked post, mine keyholes.

...and the NoDak CAI builds came after the GT/Arsenal Houston.

There is no way to tell when they ran out of improperly spec'd barrels. I doubt CAI could tell you if they wanted to.

I picked up a virgin Bulgarian barrel to swap in, but haven't gotten around to that project.

This is the best advice. It's not expensive to do and it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The only reason to own and shoot a 74 is the cheap corrosive ammo. A trigger spray bottle of 90/10 water/Ballistol negates the effects of the corrosive ammo.

After shooting corrosive, just wash it down with a garden hose, spray out the water with WD-40 or similar, and clean it as usual.

This.

The corrosive elements are actually salts. The water is doing most of the work to wash it away whether you use windex, hot water, water, or special sauce.

Don't skimp.

Follow regular hotwashing procedure after and store with a light coat of CLP.

Dan_93SER
10-09-13, 14:01
Clean up is no big deal with corrosive ammo. When I get home I pour a pot of scalding hot water into the guts, dry it out, and just clean it like I would anything else. I use hot water because it evaporates faster.

DMViergever
10-09-13, 14:31
Quit fapping on the net already and lets shoot the hog and see what it does. You first though.

Bret
10-09-13, 15:21
I would not call what they're working with a "Kit."

They have a US receiver, a US barrel, and a pile of parts... some serviceable and some unserviceable.
All the parts minus the receiver (and sometimes barrel) to make a rifle is generally considered a kit. Matching or unmatching doesn't matter. You've made the assumption that it's a US barrel and some parts are unserviceable. Based on what I see in the pictures, I believe both these assumptions are incorrect.

I believe CAI bought up the remainder of their inventory when they closed up shop. When they ran out they switched to NoDak.

Both are good receivers in the hands of a good builder. CAI is not a good builder.
I don't see where I wrote anything that contradicts this. My point is that the Global Trades receiver is generally an indicator of an older build.

GM is chroming their barrels now, as well as other manufacturers.

Chrome lining is not an indicator of origin.
In and of itself no. However, given that the rifle has an older receiver and Century almost certainly wouldn't have paid extra to have it chrome lined, the rifle most likely has an original barrel that was imported with the kit prior to the barrel ban.

Parts Bucket.
Your point? A quality rifle can be built from a kit that doesn't have matching numbers.

:confused:
Did you read the previous sentence where I said "there's not way to know for sure unless you have headspace gauges". You may be the kind of guy who checks the headspace of every rifle he purchases prior to shooting it, but 99% of people don't. My statement is literally true. If you don't have any accuracy or reliability problems, the odds are that the headspace is fine.

This is terrible advice.
You obviously didn't follow the link I provided and don't have any experience with Century.
I'll stick by my statement. What you can see is generally an indicator of what you can't see. Note that I didn't say always. What would you suggest that he does, send the rifle off to a gunsmith to pull the barrel to make sure that the front two trunnion rivets are smashed correctly and to make sure that all the internal barrel dimensions are correct?

No information provided so far has indicated that this is a good rifle.
In the limited information we have in the pictures, nothing indicates a problem.

There is no way to tell when they ran out of improperly spec'd barrels. I doubt CAI could tell you if they wanted to.
Again, you're assuming that it's not a Bulgarian barrel. Global Trades was out of the game before the barrel ban, so I'm betting it's an original Bulgarian barrel.

This is the best advice. It's not expensive to do and it's a worthwhile upgrade.
You think that it would be a good idea to swap out a barrel that is most likely an original Bulgarian before he's even test fired the rifle? Seriously? How about he shoots it and let's us know how it performs before buying a virgin barrel that requires a significant amount of gunsmithing work to install?

Walleye
10-09-13, 15:40
Keep in mind when speaking of Century that they do three things: Import, contract builds, and builds in-house. Just because it was built from a parts kit with Century's name on it doesn't mean that Century built it.

plouffedaddy
10-09-13, 15:58
Clean up is no big deal with corrosive ammo. When I get home I pour a pot of scalding hot water into the guts, dry it out, and just clean it like I would anything else. I use hot water because it evaporates faster.

I think it really depends on where you live and the weather. In the winter months I can usually get away with this but in the spring/summer my rifles seem to have rust developing by the time I pull them out when I get home. So, I've been using a ballistol/water mix (as mentioned above) and just hitting it at the range. No issues after that.

I made a how to video for cleaning the AK-74 after shooting corrosive ammo. Click here if you'd like to see the tutorial. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C7TtpjVls)

As to the barrel issue---all com-bloc barrels I've ever seen have a bunch of markings on it. If you take off the front handguards it should have stampings/inspection marks on it if it's an original barrel.

Tzook
10-09-13, 18:37
Just got done running it a bit, barrel was good to go with no keyholing. I forgot to take a picture but I actually got a pretty decent group out of it, far better than I was expecting

Dan_93SER
10-09-13, 19:57
I think it really depends on where you live and the weather.

I'm sure you're right. Your method sounds even easier than mine, which is sort of the point; that cleanup really isn't that hard.

I'll probably adopt your solution to eliminate the threat of burning the hell out of myself with hot water.

DMViergever
10-09-13, 20:10
I was there when he shot it and itran like a champ. Stock kicks the hell oitta your face though.

Tzook
10-09-13, 20:27
I was there when he shot it and itran like a champ. Stock kicks the hell oitta your face though.

Yeah.... I think we just need to learn how to shoot AKs. You're right though, way over gassed I need to grab an H3 buffer at least :p

DMViergever
10-09-13, 20:29
I have shot 1 74 and one 47. They did not suck like that one haha.

SteyrAUG
10-10-13, 03:49
Take off the handguards and look for Bulgarian markings on the barrel.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=127968