PDA

View Full Version : My AK was cerakoted- but they missed a spot

mannythegreek
10-08-13, 18:42
Hey all,

I sent my rifle to be cerakoted and being in a rush, I did not get a chance to inspect the entire rifle. After I got home, unfortunately the person did not lift the rear site so there is bare metal (from the previous bead blasting, as they coated the entire rifle) present under the rear site. I applied a spray on paint to prevent rust, and received a hefty discount, but I was wondering if there was a spray on duracoat or cerakote that would hold up against solvents.

Thanks

-MannytheGreek

bp7178
10-08-13, 21:41
There are, but Cerakote doesn't recommend applying it over existing Cerakote, which would be the case, even if it was only slight in the form of over spray.

The H series is the oven bake, the C series is the air-cure. Both you can get in kits at Brownells, and add it to an air-brush or sprayer.

Re-blasting the part and having another go at it would be the best way.

I have a barrel I did myself with Cerakote H series and a cheap airbrush. As long as you de-grease properly, you can get very good results. I am very impressed with how my barrel turned out, having paid for such service in the past.

albatrossarmament
10-09-13, 07:08
You can use C-Cerakote (hi temp air cure) and a fine paintbrush. It wont be quite as good as doing it right, but it will work. Make sure the area is degreased (acetone works well), dried, then apply. Allow a full 5 days to cure. Plus you will have extra cerakote to do touch-up work in the future.

BBossman
10-09-13, 12:15
Did they media blast the rear sight as well. It only takes about 15 seconds to pop a rear sight off of an AK. I wonder why the didn't do that as a matter of course.

Bret
10-09-13, 19:46
Did they media blast the rear sight as well. It only takes about 15 seconds to pop a rear sight off of an AK. I wonder why the didn't do that as a matter of course.
+1, they should have removed every part that they could (rear sight, trigger group, stock set, etc.).