PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Build

GambitVII
10-08-13, 22:20
I'm making this post in an attempt to acquire knowledgeable and accurate criticisms about my build and what I can do to greater improve it's overall effectiveness & reliability in a life & death situation. I don't plan to argue or defend my points so feel free to post accordingly, and if you don't see a reply from me just know that I am actually reading your responses and learning form everyone input.

The Purpose
While it's 'primary' purpose is aesthetics, I've done a bit of research to make it as functional as possible. I would like it to be able to run in an SHTF situation as well as a home defense scenario. The added bonus would be it's capability to perform in competition and hog hunting. (both of which ive never done but would like to get into)
Ultimately, I would also like it to last should a time come that I'm able to run thousands of rounds monthly if not weekly.

With that said, the following is what I have setup as the AR that I'm building in it's complete form:

Core Parts
Flash Hider - AAC Blackout Flash Hider (Pinned & Welded)
- 14.5 Centurion Arms CHF Barrel Carbine Gas Length (Pinned & Welded)
- Centurions Arms Low Profile GB (Pinned)
- 13.5 Centurion Arms CMR Modular Rail
- Carbine Length Gas tube
----
- Parralax Tactical Upper Assembly
- Fail Zero BCG (was planning to go Centurion Arms BCG but it was sold out :( )
- BCM Gunfighter Ambi Charging Handle
-----
- Seek-ins Precision Forged Lower
- BAD-ASS Ambi standard Selector Switch
- Magpul Miad Grip
- Weapon Outfitters H+ Buffer
- Sprinco Blue Buffer Spring
- DS Arms Mil-Spec Buffer Tube
- Noveske QD Back Plate
- Spikes Lower Kit (plan to change trigger to Geissele SD-C)

Attachments & Other Parts
- Magpul CTR Stock
- AImpoint T1 with LaRue Tall Mount
- Aimpoint Flip Magnifier with LaRue Mount
- Magpul MBUS Pro (front and back)
- Surefire Scout Mini with Drop WIng mount
- Magpul Handstop

Misc.
- D-fender Extractor Spring

Koshinn
10-08-13, 22:41
Get a 16" barrel. You'll thank me later. Go for mid length gas as well.

Consider a Raptor over the BCM ambi charging handle. I love the Raptor, as do many many many people.

I'd save money and get the magnifier last, and learn to shoot with your red dot without magnifier. You may realize you don't need it, like many people including myself have. Same with the handstop.

GambitVII
10-08-13, 22:53
The only reason I got the 14.5 was because I heard centurion arms was amazing and 14.5 was the only ones available at the time I made my purchase. However, I definitely hear you on the 16 inches.

With that said however, what kind of problems I can expect out of going pinned and welded? And would it be detrimental to my survival in SHTF or home defense?

As far as the Raptor is concerned, I really do want one and it was what I wanted originally. (its actually what i had on my old built) i just went with the BCM this time around to try it but if you can give me additional details as to why I should go for the raptor that would help me a lot.

Koshinn
10-08-13, 22:59
16" gives you a bit more velocity which means longer effective range in which fragmentation can more reliably occur. The 1" difference you won't notice at all. It also lets you run a mid gas tube which arguably shoots smoother. Longer barrels are also slightly quieter.

Renegade
10-08-13, 23:19
If you want a gun you can depend on in life or death, get a Colt, KAC, Noveske, DD, BCM etc, put an optic on it and buy ammo and training and go shoot it. Then based on your experience actually using it, decide what to replace or improve.

Hygienist
10-08-13, 23:41
Just a personal thing on the rail, I'd go with a Noveske NSR, the new Midwest Ind Keymod, or the upcoming BCM Keymod. I think they look better and are lighter.

For the Bbl, I'd recommend a mid length gas 14.5" or 16".

I don't think you should necessarily set your heart on a Centurion bbl, they're about as good as anyone else but I haven't heard anyone praising them above anyone else.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1435

For your charging handle, this is really just since aesthetics was one of your goals, but perhaps get the Raptor

For the grip, the MOE K2 is getting released soon, maybe look into that. Functional and pretty aesthetically pleasing.

For your stock, have you perhaps considered an Vltor IMOD? The clubfoot or regular version, either one. With the IMOD you get a better cheekweld and also storage, in exchange for a scant .05lbs addition.

I don't have experience with this, but I've heard a lot of people pulling away from the RDS + Magnifier build. Apparently the off axis weight of the magnifier is a bit annoying. Maybe look into something like a Accupoint 1-4 if you want the zoom?

GambitVII
10-09-13, 00:32
@Koshinn
Ah I see. For now it's too late as far as getting a 16 (much of the upper I already bought) but I'm considering getting an upper with a 16 inch in the near future anyways in the case I need to make use of those advantages.

@Renegade
I'll definitely take that to heart. Though I am curious, how far can a 'Frankenstein' build go as far as matching a 'top tier rifle' made for the same purpose in mind?

It definitely makes sense that a fully built rifle would be better in general since all the parts would be spec'd and measured accordingly as it is assembled. What I'm curious about is if a custom built rifle could ever match a complete one given that both of them were constructed with the same purpose in mind.

@Hygienist
I do have some parts that I haven't purchased yet and I'm sort of borrowing accessories as of now to test and see how the upper runs.
I'll definitely put all those things into consideration as I near the completion of my build.

ZINCOGNITO
10-09-13, 00:45
I would honestly save the money on the FZ BCG and go with a milspec BCG. I own a WMD BCG and I can honestly not see or feel the difference. Cleaning is about the same, not to mention that the finish stains.
I would also run the H2 buffer with the blue Springco. It's reliable and runs all types of ammo from my experience.

Goodluck

GambitVII
10-09-13, 00:57
I would honestly save the money on the FZ BCG and go with a milspec BCG. I own a WMD BCG and I can honestly not see or feel the difference. Cleaning is about the same, not to mention that the finish stains.
I would also run the H2 buffer with the blue Springco. It's reliable and runs all types of ammo from my experience.

Goodluck

Ehh... i kind of regret it myself. I hope I can return it but given that I've shot 100 rounds through it already I don't know if they'll take it back X_X

If I have to keep it, then I'll just make due and make that choice to go for something else with the 16 inch mid-length upper i have in mind.

Badger89
10-09-13, 02:48
Just a personal thing on the rail, I'd go with a Noveske NSR, the new Midwest Ind Keymod, or the upcoming BCM Keymod. I think they look better and are lighter.
Parallax Tactical also makes a keymod rail that is very similar to the NSR.

I don't think you should necessarily set your heart on a Centurion bbl, they're about as good as anyone else but I haven't heard anyone praising them above anyone else.
Seriously? We are talking about Centurion Arms, right? You know, the company that machines their CHF barrels from FN M249 blanks? :rolleyes:

Somnus
10-09-13, 12:51
Overall, nice stuff you have there. I like centurion barrels but like some of the newer keymod rails. Personally have converted all my charging handles to Raptors. Don't want any others now. Still debating KAC vs magpul pro sights... Get that thing built throw the aimpoint on there and shoot it!

Jonny4523
10-09-13, 13:11
I agree with the magnifier comment. I bought a used one with the idea that I'd throw it on my 3-gun rifle and run Tac Optics. I found that I shoot out to 300 yards with my 2 moa Comp ML3 and my 2 moa T-1 just fine without it.

I have also tried several different hand-stop accessories (AFG, TD stubby, etc) and found that I prefer just grabbing on to the rail without all the stuff. I ended up selling it all.

_Stormin_
10-09-13, 16:22
The only real change I would make is swapping the BCM CH for the Raptor. BCM's single sided CH's are my go to, but the Raptor is a much better ambi part. After using one, I was hooked.

GambitVII
10-09-13, 17:48
Wow, maybe I shouldn't of jumped the gun (lol pun) and got the Raptor!
I wanted to try the gun fighter because... I never had it before X_X

But with that said I think I'll pick me up my second Raptor and I too was very happy with my last one.

In regards to the Magnifier, It's kinda there just for kicks. For the most part, I'll be using red dots or irons but I plan to keep the magnifier around in the case I need to ID something or get better clarification as to whats around my intended target.

Though realistically, I can see why it's not needed as I have been fine without it. With that said, I believe I'll be picking it up for 'just haves' since it's mildly helped me ID some in the past when I had the Eotech XPS magnifier combo. (which in the end was too heavy so I took it off)

Given that I'm not running any grips and I have a much lighter optic and setup now, I'll give it a try and post my range report.

philpac33
10-09-13, 18:17
Gambit- good move on choosing to go with the Rainier Arms Raptor but beware, there are some counterfeits being sold now that would be difficult for the uninformed to differentiate. A genuine Raptor has a larger latch on the forward assist side(fakes are both the same) and the roll pins are different as well. Google it or use the search button above. You may want to reconsider the magnifier. 2MOA Aimpoints are very capable out to 300 yards. If you really feel the need for magnification, look into 1-4 or 1-6 variable scopes. I have the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on my wish list now.

DMViergever
10-09-13, 19:47
Adams Arms makes a flash hider called the Manimal. It is made so that you can slide a gas block over top and still be able to change your stuff out if you want.

TehLlama
10-09-13, 20:02
In regards to the Magnifier, It's kinda there just for kicks. For the most part, I'll be using red dots or irons but I plan to keep the magnifier around in the case I need to ID something or get better clarification as to whats around my intended target.
Given that I'm not running any grips and I have a much lighter optic and setup now, I'll give it a try and post my range report.

Given how much of that is spot on, the magnifier if it's there for giggles, as well as helping making it quicker to get a really good 200yd zero with the Aimpoint, it's fine, and you're not skimping money on key parts to have something that'll spend most of it's time in the case.

As far as the 14.5" permed setup - at least you put a good upper together before that gas block and barrel nut became captive to the muzzle device. The pinned/welded setup is brilliant for folks in states where a permed muzzle brake is required anyway, so the 14.5" is a 1.5" shorter version of what they'd otherwise be stuck with. 16" gives a bit more flexibility, but you didn't screw the pooch, just narrowed your options if you aren't looking to chop the muzzle device later (again, minor).

I'd just run that BCG. Would you have paid the price difference to borrow a BCG to run your rifle for the hundred or so rounds already through it? Would you have paid to have the complete rifle done sooner? If even partially yes, don't worry about that cost difference - run that thing, and see if that BCG holds up as well as advertised.

Given how similar yours is to the rifle that became my wife's, there's very little I see in need of changing.

ShermanM4
10-09-13, 20:32
16" gives you a bit more velocity which means longer effective range in which fragmentation can more reliably occur. The 1" difference you won't notice at all. It also lets you run a mid gas tube which arguably shoots smoother. Longer barrels are also slightly quieter.

I don't agree at all with a 16" over a 14.5".

Why not just go with a 18" for even more velocity! Heck just go with 20" for maximum velocity and effective range!! :rolleyes:

The 2-4" you won't notice at all!! :rolleyes:

Mid-length is "arguably" smoother... There is no real evidence of this or that they are easier on parts.

Perhaps I'm biased because I prefer the true military M4 14.5" carbine.

OP I started with a 16" and sold it a year later for a BCM 14.5" pinned upper and there is a HUGE difference! I will never own a 16" AR again.

You made the right choice going with a 14.5".

IMO.

gun71530
10-09-13, 20:36

Why not just go with a 18" for even more velocity! Heck just go with 20" for maximum velocity and effective range!! :rolleyes:

Mid-length is "arguably" smoother... There is no real evidence of this or that they are easier on parts.

OP I started with a 16" and sold it a year later for a BCM 14.5" pinned upper and there is a HUGE difference! I will never own a 16" AR again.

IMO.

Yeah, because 1.5 inches is such a huge difference.:rolleyes: Go with a 16 inch barrel, having a pinned muzzle device isn't worth it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Koshinn
10-09-13, 20:47

IMO.

Because 16" is the shortest you can go with a removable muzzle device unless you SBR the AR. :rolleyes: It also happens to be a sweet spot where increasing barrel length gives diminishing returns in muzzle velocity.

Barrel profile, rail, and muzzle device play a much bigger part in changing the feel of your AR than 1.5" of barrel would if you keep everything else the same.

But what do I know, I only have a 10.5" N4, a 16" SR-15, and a 14.5" Centurion (yes, the same barrel the OP has). The SR-15 handles identically to the 14.5" Centurion with a NSR handguard. It's a moot point though since he said he already has it.

ShermanM4
10-09-13, 20:50
Yeah, because 1.5 inches is such a huge difference.:rolleyes: Go with a 16 inch barrel, having a pinned muzzle device isn't worth it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

That's why I put

"IMO"

And IMO it is a huge difference it not only maneuverability but feel.

Also it "looks" right also to me.

IMO the 16" just doesn't "look" right.

Not trying to offend any one, but the 16" was only made because of the law...

The pinned FH did limit my options... But maybe that's a good thing cause I will be forced to spend money on the most important accessory for the AR... Ammo.

Split66
10-09-13, 21:00
Ultimately, I would also like it to last should a time come that I'm able to run thousands of rounds monthly if not weekly.

Not going to last too long @ several thousand rounds a week. Better build two.

:D