PDA

View Full Version : Gas tube too long?

CMW
10-08-13, 22:33
Hey, ran into an issue while doing a fit check on my new 6.8 build. Basically, the bolt carrier wouldn't sit flush in the upper:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y2gowSLpQLI/UlTNmgB55eI/AAAAAAAACLo/uU6Z56UO1xE/w428-h642-no/photo+2.JPG

Barrel/Gas block/Gas Tube are all new package deal from Noveske, upper is VLTOR MUR-1A.

I swapped the 6.8 bolt out, for a 5.56 bolt, and function checked the carrier in my BCM mid-length upper, no problem. That's when I noticed the gas tube length. The Noveske tube is .25" longer.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YWsoSCYP5YA/UlTNn0Rj-II/AAAAAAAACLw/0XDUH56XWWo/w672-h642-no/photo+4.JPG

I pulled the gas key back off (it's a stripped carrier, not staked yet), and slid it back in, everything locked up nice and flush.

So I'm assuming the gas tube is .25" too long? I know this might seem obvious, but I'm asking because it was a package deal from Noveske...I'm more inclined to think I screwed something up than they did ha.

K.L. Davis
10-08-13, 22:41
gas tube roll pin in front of, not through the gas tube?

Iraqgunz
10-08-13, 22:48
Did you already pin the gas tube to the gas block? Did it seat all the way forward? Maybe they accidentally sent you one of their "intermediate" tubes which is slightly longer than a standard midlength as I recall.

K.L. Davis
10-08-13, 22:56
Did you already pin the gas tube to the gas block? Did it seat all the way forward? Maybe they accidentally sent you one of their "intermediate" tubes which is slightly longer than a standard midlength as I recall.
Intermediate tube is substantially longer...

CMW
10-08-13, 22:58
gas tube roll pin in front of, not through the gas tube?

We have a winner...yikes, huge derp on my part...guess I was a little too excited to finish this one.

K.L. Davis
10-08-13, 23:07
We have a winner...yikes, huge derp on my part...guess I was a little too excited to finish this one.
No problem... and trust me, if you were the first person to do that... it would not have been so easy to call out :p