PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 Work

Fail-Safe
10-09-13, 22:34
I acquired a functional, but horrible looking Marlin 336. I wanna have some fun with it. I've decided I am going to chop the barrel, XS LSM with peep, XS front stripe, and a Ramline/Outers synthetic stock set.

First question I have has to do with chopping the barrel down. If a 20 inch barrel and 19 inch mag tube holds six rounds of 30-30, how many will a tube that is 16 inches? 4 or 5. What length holds 5?

I intend to polish up the engagement surfaces, is there anything else that warrants attention while I have the gun completely stripped down?

NYH1
10-10-13, 01:31
The Marlin 336Y 30-30 Win. has a 16 1/4" barrel and holds 5 rounds in the magazine.

NYH1.

okie john
10-11-13, 12:53
20" lever carbines are so common because they balance perfectly for fast offhand shots, which is how they get used most of the time. Shorter ones often feel too light in the muzzle and longer ones can feel ungainly.

This won't show up as you compare unloaded rifles. These carbines are so light that the weight of a loaded magazine shifts the balance forward markedly. (Yeah, it's only five rounds of 30-30, but they're all forward of the action. It's worse with 44 Magnum carbines because the ammo is heaver and the magazines hold more cartridges.) You really have to shoot them offhand, ideally on moving and/or multiple targets, to see what I mean.

Why not de-burr the engagement/feeding surfaces and mount the scope and sights, then shoot it for a year or so before you shorten the barrel? You may change your mind about cutting it.

Okie John

Fail-Safe
10-13-13, 20:02
I'll be lopping the barrel off to 16.25 inches this week at the locomotive shop. We have the tools, we have the knowledge.

My next question is in regards to barrel clamps. I don't want to use the second one. I don't have the ability to dovetail the front, and the cost isn't one I want to incur. I was looking at the mag tube cap which has a hole all the way through it. I was thinking that maybe I drill/tap the barrel below, run a longer screw into the barrel and Loctite it? Will it be durable enough?

philcam
10-13-13, 20:31
You should be able to cut the rear of the magazine tube, where it goes into the receiver thereby saving the barrel band notch.

Fail-Safe
10-14-13, 00:03
Yeah but I don't want the last barrel band.

Its been my limited experience that Marlins without the second band are more accurate.

philcam
10-14-13, 08:20
Gotcha! I misunderstood your question. I thought you didn't want the barrel band because you would not be able to recut the magazine tube.

Sent you a PM