PDA

View Full Version : infidel vs afgan

Rockhopper
10-11-13, 18:31
is there any benefit to choosing an infidel and pinning a longer md on it rather than an afgan and pinning something in the 1.5" flavor if there are no plans to run a suppressor? i know suppressor mounts tend to run longer and would keep you at that 16" mark. but how about just simple weight and handiness?

jpaul
10-11-13, 19:07
Assuming you know of a suitable muzzle device long enough to give you the 16in barrel length once permanently attached, I would think there would be zero benefit. 16 inches is 16 inches.

I'm sure someone will mention velocity loss, though I doubt 0.8 would be too noticeable.

Good luck.

Amur
10-12-13, 07:55
Unless you have a specific need for the KX3....like you
Often clear rooms with a team.....Then it makes little sense to get a perm attached infidel. But if you think it's cool by all means its def a bad ass rifle!

Tim1071
10-12-13, 10:52
I have an Infidel and a Afgan. The Afgan is a little lighter and quicker handling....... but not much. That is the only diffrence between the two.

TriggerTX
10-12-13, 20:17
If I understand your question correctly:
It seems you have no intention to SBR this rifle so, why give up the almost 1 inches of barrel going with the Infidel when you have no intent on keeping it short? The infidel is 13.7 as oppose to the Afghans 14.5.

Scoby
10-13-13, 08:51
If you are not going to SBR it, go with the Afghan.
Pin a readily available 1.5" muzzle device on it and forget it.

T-Dot
10-13-13, 12:42
I went the infidel upper, and decided later that it wasn't what I was looking for. Now I'm doing what I can to sell it for a different project, but I think the odd barrel length makes it a harder sell: if someone isn't looking specifically for an Infidel set up, or going the SBR route, then it's no good to them. With a 14.5'', there are all kinds of options for MDs, and better opportunity to resell, if it comes to that.

I will say, though, while I found the KX3 to be a bit front heavy and not do as much as I expected to reduce perceived recoil (I go on about that in a different post), it is a very comfortable MD to shoot regarding muzzle blast: I run a BattleComp now, and it's the exact opposite.

Long story short: I don't think you'll regret going with the Afghan. Either way, enjoy!

Bigninja
10-13-13, 21:13
I had an infidel and sold it. Now I kick myself for selling it. It's front heavy but it shot pretty good. Wish I could find one.

tom12.7
10-14-13, 05:53
I'm personally a fan of the 13.7" Noveske for a SBR.
Combined with a rifle length URX 3.0, it gives me a good support hand placement without a lot of barrel sticking out. For a non SBR, I prefer a longer barrel and a longer rail, to get the most out of it.
I'm not a fan of the "pig" muzzle device. I just finished one that I had Marvin dimple, with a URX 3.0 and a MAMS. It swings easier and doesn't dip the muzzle like some brakes, plus the muzzle blast isn't as bad to deal with as other brakes.
The only issue with these is extreme cold weather reliability, but if that isn't part of what you're doing, I wouldn't care about that. They shoot smoothly, an A5 kit on it shoots smoother with more reliability. Adding a LMT enhanced carrier with the A5 helps if you run a can sometimes, but reliability suffers with the enhanced carrier and a carbine buffer system.
I've put together many of these 13.5"ish mid length combo's together, They aren't for everyone, but they do work well as long as extreme cold weather isn't involved.

Rockhopper
10-14-13, 19:13
I'm personally a fan of the 13.7" Noveske for a SBR.
Combined with a rifle length URX 3.0, it gives me a good support hand placement without a lot of barrel sticking out.that was actually going to be my next question. why you would want to sbr a rifle with a long(er) barrel like that. but you already answered that.

tom12.7
10-14-13, 21:54
I mentioned the rifle length URX 3.0 since it's the shortest length that I can stretch my support arm out. To keep the barrel as short as possible, you're limited to 13.5ish". The Noveske 13.7" mid length is the only thing I've found to fit out of the box. It's easier than buying a longer barrel to cut down.