PDA

View Full Version : Building a fire - fundamentals

Arctic1
10-12-13, 14:41
Probably (hopefully) kicking in an open door here, but I had a good opportunity to build a fire today, and take some pictures. Figured I'd offer some thoughts.

First, prepare your tinder, kindling, smaller sticks and fire wood:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4350/ngjr.jpg

I like to first get a fire going, then I can gather enough wood to last for however long I need. A good rule here is to gather 2-3 times as much as you think you need.

I also prefer to use readily available materials, preferably dead wood. It is easy to gather, much of it does not require tools to break into smaller pieces, and requires less effort than cutting down living trees or standing dead trees.

Avoid using wet or moist wood initially. Makes a lot of smoke and can easily ruin a good base/ember. Wet logs can, however, be dried up next to the fire, so do not write off wet wood completely.

Depending on the purpose of the fire, heating for shelter, food, plan the layout of the type of fire you need, so you achieve the desired effect. Some fires also require more wood than others. Things to think about:

-Reflector
-Base
-Protection/boundary

For this fire I used a piece of bark as the base, and used a circle of rocks to limit the possibility of the fire spreading. A good tip when building a fire that serves as heat for a shelter, is to place a log between you and the fire, to prevent you from rolling into the fire.

The base is especially important during winter, as the fire will melt the snow beneath it, as well as around it. I prefer to dig a hole or pit in the snow, right down to the ground. This way the walls of the hole serve as reflectors, and the fire doesn't sink into the ground.

Start by lighting your tinder, and make sure you have a good flame before adding kindling:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/346/0mdw.jpg

I used Witch's hair as tinder for this fire.

Add your kindling little by little, until you have a solid flame and a pretty good ember going:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8612/6gpf.jpg

When this is done, you can start adding smaller sticks, whilst building the foundation of your fire around the base:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3826/6fsd.jpg

You can do some work beforehand, with regards to the foundation, depending on the type of fire you want. This was purely for enjoyment, so I built my foundation around the flame. Keep in mind that air circulation is important.

Kindling, sticks and wood was from a fallen fir. I only used a single match.

Another good thing is to have help:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1696/qeuc.jpg

Good help is invaluable. ;)

Good times:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1563/crbf.jpg

.46caliber
10-12-13, 15:40
Kids are awesome for gathering kindling. That task always went to my brother and I as kids.

You won't find it in the woods, but clothes dryer lint makes fantastic tinder. Does burn pretty quick though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Heavy Metal
10-12-13, 16:18
My secret recipie is to use dead pine needles and the dead lower branches from standing pine/firs/spruces as small/medium tinder.

Evergreen wood is resinous and just WANTS to burn. Just never cook meat on a stick like a hotdog over evergreen wood. Good to start the fire but lousy for grilling.

SeriousStudent
10-12-13, 18:32
Looks like you have a good helper there! :)

You have a very good point about outlining how to build a fire. I've talked to folks that have a magnesium firestarter or Bic lighter in their car "for emergencies", but have never actually built a fire in their lives. Nor do they have an idea how to do so. But "I've got a lighter, so I'm covered."

I have a mental image of them holding a lighter to a California Redwood trunk, and cussing profusely......

Hmac
10-12-13, 18:56
Here's a good video on firestarting done by a buddy of mine (Dave-HuldraArms (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=49480)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqnun7Oreo

sva01
10-13-13, 17:24
What knife is that? Kinda looks like a Randall but the spacers make me think it's not.

taliv
10-13-13, 20:11
looks like fun was had by all!

i've been using a magnesium striker for a while. set several fires this weekend with it, as a matter of fact. love it.

one thing i don't have a ton of experience with yet, but that has made a great first impression on me is 'utilityflame'. so far, this stuff rocks. won't evaporate. leaves only sand behind. non toxic. no odor.

couple sparks from the steel and you've got a pretty much clear flame burning 1300* which will light wet wood. (i'm going to do a test this week, but going out on a limb here to guess it will)

JBecker 72
10-13-13, 20:31
One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do was start a fire using only items I found in the woods. A trick I learned a while back was to keep dryer lint in a zip lock bag to catch a spark.

taliv
10-13-13, 20:37
but given that you don't find dryer lint in the woods, why not use something that will last for more than one use?

JBecker 72
10-13-13, 20:44
but given that you don't find dryer lint in the woods, why not use something that will last for more than one use?

I keep a snack bag full of it, and can probably get 3 fires out of that 1 bag if needed. I rarely use that stuff, it's more of an emergency situation supply. Almost every fire I start when camping involves a few ounces of camping fuel and matches.

I'm sure there are some cool alternatives on the market, but dryer lint is free and a seemingly never ending supply. I also have one of those magnesium blocks with the striker in the same pack.

Hmac
10-13-13, 21:34
Shavings off of paraffin blocks, or cotton balls soaked in Vaseline.

taliv
10-13-13, 22:29
cool. well it is lightweight and cheap. it just doesn't burn long or hot enough

lunchbox
10-13-13, 22:40
I keep a snack bag full of it, and can probably get 3 fires out of that 1 bag if needed. I rarely use that stuff, it's more of an emergency situation supply. Almost every fire I start when camping involves a few ounces of camping fuel and matches.

I'm sure there are some cool alternatives on the market, but dryer lint is free and a seemingly never ending supply. I also have one of those magnesium blocks with the striker in the same pack.The only problem that I have come across with dryer lint is, good fire lint needs to from laundry load of natural fabrics vs. synthetics/blends and animal hair also will hinder. Wanna say read this in book, but have been using idea for while. I like idea of using as much natural occurring woods items. If its in a Zip-lock, it will probably run out eventually.

underwoodbitsandspurs
10-14-13, 00:14
Tampons work great for starting a fire too, plus they are already in a waterproof bag. Just fluff the middle up like a birds nest.

Arctic1
10-14-13, 05:20
What knife is that? Kinda looks like a Randall but the spacers make me think it's not.

It's a SOG Super Bowie.

I bought it mainly for aesthetic reasons, as I have a thing for knives, but had to try it out.

Arctic1
10-14-13, 07:45
The key when building a fire is preparation. If you rush the initial phase, you will either not get it started at all, or you will use up valuable time getting your smaller sticks to light on fire. This can be dangerous in a real survival situation.

With regards to tinder, there are many different types available; homemade/improvised, store bought and found in nature.

The type of tinder used or brought with you on a trip should reflect the type of environment/terrain you are in as well as the weather. In some areas good tinder will be hard to come by. In wet weather dry tinder can be difficult to find.

I like to use what I find in nature, and my favorites are witch's hair or birch bark. You can also cut slivers from sticks, preferably from dead wood.

A good tip for having usable tinder on you, is to pull off strips of bark from birch trees or balls of witch's hair if available, when you come across these during your hike, and place them in a jacket or pant pocket. Bring a plastic bag to store them in if you want. This can also be done before going on a trip. By doing this, you can dry out the tinder during your hike, before you arrive at your camp site.

For me at least, it is more satisfying getting a fire going by using nature's own resources, rather than using a flammable liquid or other artificial fuel.

taliv
10-21-13, 11:25
just wanted to update my 'first impressions' post about utilityflame. my first impression was a mistake. i've taken it out 4 times now, with a couple people. we could only get it to light from sparks once. it's pretty disappointing, but it does burn hot once you get it started.

ra2bach
10-21-13, 12:47
One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do was start a fire using only items I found in the woods. A trick I learned a while back was to keep dryer lint in a zip lock bag to catch a spark.

make sure that dryer lint is cotton, not synthetic, or it'll never do anything more than smolder...

VooDoo6Actual
10-21-13, 17:27
Bag Balm (applied/saturated on cotton for tinder in ANY climate)

http://www.bagbalm.com

There are a plethora of viable reasons & one of it's attributes is not even listed for a use.

8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3% (antiseptic) in a petroleum jelly USP and lanolin base

peruna
10-21-13, 19:50
Dryer lint works okay, but I like to keep an Altoids tin of char cloth in my pack.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make it (but you need to make it before you venture out into the woods ;)):

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/charcloth

SeriousStudent
10-21-13, 23:58
Much agree, char cloth is awesome.

And they make the tiny Altoids tins, have you seen those? Then you can carry a small portion in your pack or kit, and have a tin to make more.

That's a neat website with the tutorial, thanks for posting that.

peruna
10-22-13, 09:09
I keep a "clean" Altoids tin for carrying the char cloth in my pack as the one I use to make the char cloth is covered in soot and I don't want that stuff getting all over my gear.

Small Altoids tins......hmmm, need to check them out. Thanks for the tip!

SeriousStudent
10-22-13, 10:19
No problem, they are usually in that "impulse buy" area right next to the checkout stand.

jjw
10-23-13, 22:10
a tube of shoe goo type stuff form the shoe shop.(its a shoe glue)
works well. i am never w/o the following
knife
life boat matches
steel wool
fire tabs form survival inc
shoe goo
magnesium rod
all small and can carry in small zip lock

cary l/b matche's, steel wool and mag rod duc taped tp my knife.

jjw

ruchik
10-26-13, 00:06
I tried some "Maya dust" a while back. Stuff was garbage. Wouldn't light after five minutes of constant sparks from a ferro rod. I really like the Wetfire cubes.

STONE-YARDER
10-26-13, 00:30
Birch bark is an amazing firestarter. The oils in it will light even when its wet.

lunchbox
10-26-13, 00:38
Birch bark is an amazing firestarter. The oils in it will light even when its wet.+1, Also a big fan of lighter'/ Fat wood/pine knot. So widely available in south east, I don't even bother packing any.

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 01:05
I tried some "Maya dust" a while back. Stuff was garbage. Wouldn't light after five minutes of constant sparks from a ferro rod. I really like the Wetfire cubes.

What is the shelf life like on those Wetfire cubes? I have thought about snagging some. Would they be okay to leave in a vehicle for a few years? Through the heat/cold cycles?

Thanks.

ruchik
10-26-13, 01:20
What is the shelf life like on those Wetfire cubes? I have thought about snagging some. Would they be okay to leave in a vehicle for a few years? Through the heat/cold cycles?

Thanks.

Per manufacturer, they should have a shelf life of 5 years. The key, and Wetfire's only weakness IMO, is that they will only last if the packaging is intact. If it's somehow busted, the shelf life drops to only about 3 months. I've pulled Wetfire cubes out of my car and lit them after going through some pretty hot and cold cycles for about a month or two, so as long as the packaging is intact, I would assume you're fine. Some folks apparently owned some cubes from the company back before they were even Ultimate Survival Technologies; after nearly 15 years in storage, they lit first time.

Now the upside to having a 3 month shelf life once opened is that you can reuse it. I don't think people who bash on this product utilize this aspect. You can light it, blow it out, and re-light it. It will be instantly cool once out. That means you can use just half a cube to light a fire, and use the other half later. Or you could even use the cube to light a larger bundle of tinder, shake it out, then use it again and again.

SeriousStudent
10-26-13, 14:30
Cool, thanks very much for the info and detailed response.

Remember those small Pelican cases that the NRA sold a few years back? They had a mirror, whistle, Blastmatch and some Wetfire cubes? I snagged 5 or 6 of those, and was going to replace the tinder in them.

I am betting it was exactly what you said. The packaging probably got popped open, and that was what did them in.

I may just do the char cloth as an add-on to them. Never hurts to have multiple methods.

ruchik
10-26-13, 18:07
Cool, thanks very much for the info and detailed response.

Remember those small Pelican cases that the NRA sold a few years back? They had a mirror, whistle, Blastmatch and some Wetfire cubes? I snagged 5 or 6 of those, and was going to replace the tinder in them.

I am betting it was exactly what you said. The packaging probably got popped open, and that was what did them in.

I may just do the char cloth as an add-on to them. Never hurts to have multiple methods.

I've struggled with finding a way to try and keep the packaging intact. The best method I found was to use empty pill bottles, like the kind you get from pharmacies.

SteveS
10-29-13, 15:56
Road flares work well to start fires in bad conditions.

JBecker 72
10-29-13, 16:30
Went camping this weekend. Friday afternoon it was in the mid 40's and the sun was setting fast. I brought a bunch of seasoned white oak wood, a magnesium block with striker rod, and my trusty bag of dryer lint. Made a bed of dryer lint in the fire ring, put some splinters i ripped off a bunch of the wood on top, and just used the striker rod on the magnesium block to see how easy it would catch a spark. It took a few tries and some huffing and puffing, but it worked without needing to scrape anything off the block.

The next day I used a pint of gasoline and a match. :D

SeriousStudent
10-29-13, 19:45
I've struggled with finding a way to try and keep the packaging intact. The best method I found was to use empty pill bottles, like the kind you get from pharmacies.

Plus when they are empty, I can use them to save dry tinder. Another plus.

Excellent suggestion, thanks for the tip.

Campbell
10-30-13, 17:43
a tube of shoe goo type stuff form the shoe shop.(its a shoe glue)
works well. i am never w/o the following
knife
life boat matches
steel wool
fire tabs form survival inc
shoe goo
magnesium rod
all small and can carry in small zip lock

cary l/b matche's, steel wool and mag rod duc taped tp my knife.

jjw

+1 on the shoe goo...you can build a fire and fix a whole lot of gear.

tb-av
10-30-13, 20:04
I believe the little fire cubes are the same thing Weber sells in Home Depot for $4(24 cubes) to start a grill fire. Little white cubes 3/4" in an ice cube type try with foil seal lid.

This guy seems to make some nice fire starters as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5adQwJfYO1M

Campbell
10-31-13, 07:26
I believe the little fire cubes are the same thing Weber sells in Home Depot for $4(24 cubes) to start a grill fire. Little white cubes 3/4" in an ice cube type try with foil seal lid.

This guy seems to make some nice fire starters as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5adQwJfYO1M

That's going to be hard to beat! Thanks for link.

tb-av
10-31-13, 10:17
That's going to be hard to beat! Thanks for link.

After the first dip, you could always insert a little finger nial sized wrap of tissue paper with some magnesium shavings in it. Or even some of those weber fire starter shavings. I think you would just have to be careful that you don't allow the shavings to burn your wax up but simply get the flame going... or even some char cloth.

Atg336
11-05-13, 21:25
In wet weather dry tinder can be difficult to find.

I like to use what I find in nature, and my favorites are witch's hair or birch bark.

I whole heartedly agree with Birch Bark. In my last trip (see Flameless Heating thread) I was out in the woods, but in the nap of human made comforts (wooden cabin in a state park, Johnny Walker in the snifter). However, despite the creature comforts, we still had an issue with making a campfire due to the wet weather that was falling on us that whole weekend.

Enter Birch bark - soaking wet after 3 days of humid, on/off rain, I peeled some off a dead knocked over rotting tree trunk (I could feel the dampness in the bark) and proceeded to light it. It went up pretty fast with just one match lit under it, then the rest of the soaking wet Brich Bark got the initial fire hotter and hotter until the other wet branches I found on the ground (placed around the fire) were dry and ready to fuel the fire.

Cannot endorse Birch Bark enough as one of the finest fire starters/camp fire temp. increasers in the Northern Hemisphere!

ruchik
11-05-13, 23:15
Plus when they are empty, I can use them to save dry tinder. Another plus.

Excellent suggestion, thanks for the tip.

Excellent suggestion to you too, sir! Never crossed my mind to use the empties as tinder containers :cool:

Jim D
11-09-13, 19:45
Medicine bottles are good for carrying tinder. Tape them shut for water proofing, and being plastic you can cut into them even if you loose sufficient dexterity in your hands to twist the top off.

Hmac
11-09-13, 20:35
Film cannisters.