PDA

View Full Version : Charging handles for Piston Guns?

Oak
10-12-13, 17:52
Do Piston guns utilize standard type charging handles?
I expect so, but I've been told I've been wrong before.

Thanks,
Oak

BigDeeeeeeee
10-12-13, 17:56
My PWS and LWRC do.

Oak
10-12-13, 17:59
Thanks. Probably my Sig 516 would. I'm guessing here, but why wouldn't it? On the other hand, I don't want to spend $$$ to find out I guessed wrong.

Oak

graffex
10-12-13, 18:22
But you didn't mind wasting money on the piston AR....

WNY_Whitetailer
10-12-13, 18:53
My Adams Arms does...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

TheJRK
10-12-13, 18:58
Yes, your 516 will accept a Gunfighter, etc.

Oak
10-12-13, 19:00
I'm going to amend my first response to this.
The Sig is the first 5.56 rifle I bought after many years of shooting handguns and bolt rifles. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you, I'm sure, but I think it's proven itself as very reliable, although with only a couple of thousand rounds through it and no issues at all. I like it, it's my money. And I don't consider it a waste. And I just ordered a BCM, which should be in my hands in about a week. This will give me a piston and a DI, so I can have fun dumping on either camp, if I happen to get in that frame of mind.
Now, do you have an answer to my question or is that all you've got.

Oak

Oak
10-12-13, 19:07
Thank you.

Oak

Tzintzuntzan
10-12-13, 19:36
Rainier's Raptor might not work with some SIG rifles but they offer a money back return policy if this happens to you.

F-Trooper05
10-12-13, 22:03
But you didn't mind wasting money on the piston AR....

You mad, bro?

Tzintzuntzan
10-12-13, 22:14
Better than Kel-tec?

mastiffhound
10-13-13, 03:52
I've been on this forum for a little while now and will say most of what is perceived as a slight is more likely good natured ribbing. M4C is very Pro-DI. Most piston systems are frowned upon here, it's not personal. That being said, many don't think very highly of Sig either. Again, it's not personal. The BCM is a great purchase for sure.

The problems with piston ARs as most see it are many. Availability of replacement parts, having to send them in to get fixed (leaving you without a firearm) because they use special fasteners and such, piston systems causing extreme wear on parts that DI guns don't, and the general agreement that DI had nothing wrong with it to begin with as long as you do your part to keep them clean and lubed. The replacement parts for DI are common, less expensive, and widely available almost every place in America.

My first AR was a Bushmaster POS jam-o-matic. A hated brand for sure! You will find a wealth of knowledge here just as I have. When people here give advice it's usually because they are trying to help someone (like myself) make an informed decision instead of wasting money. You will see "buy once, cry once" very often. To answer your question, yes most piston guns can use a standard DI CH. Welcome to the wonderful world of AR rifles and M4C!

Abraham
10-13-13, 08:31
"will say most of what is perceived as a slight is more likely good natured ribbing."

I'd like to believe that...

DMViergever
10-13-13, 12:59
All three of my Adams guns have been crap...between being boringly reliabe and not having to scrape carbon off my bolt and not eating gas when I shoot suppressed, even with my plain jane charging handle I just really hate it...

Adams runs a regular charging handle.

Robb Jensen
10-13-13, 15:52
I'm using a BCM Gen2 Mod3 Gunfighter CH on my LWRC 12.7" SBR.

Tzintzuntzan
10-13-13, 17:03
Is that an original LWRC or a newer LWRCi?

Iraqgunz
10-13-13, 17:59
This really isn't complicated. Look at the website for your upper. If it isn't different from a USGI type handle then I don't see why a standard one won't work.

Oak
10-13-13, 18:10
I'd like to think I can take a jab as well as the next guy, but if somebody's going to crap on me for a choice of rifle, or any other piece of gear, at least have the stones to answer the original question. Maybe I and someone else can learn something. As I said, my Sig has not skipped in over 2, 000 rounds, which doesn't include wading through mud and/or sand and dust. I'm learning about the shortcomings of the proprietary parts, which is one reason I bought the BCM. I don't have a lot of cash laying around, so I already did the buy once cry once thing to the highest level I can. If BCM isn't good enough, and from my reading I'm pretty confidant that it is, I'll just have to live with it. I'm thinking these two rifles will probably last me for as long as I'd like to keep them.

Thanks to those who've answered the question.
Oak