PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 1911

G4PI09
10-12-13, 23:38
Hey guys im looking at buying my first 1911, and was looking for some input. Im sure there are a ton of threads on this in the search function, but im looking for input on current production 1911's. This gun would be mostly a range toy but at the same time i would want to be able to rely on it as a defensive weapon if i ever had too. I would like to keep the price under $1500.

Wake27
10-12-13, 23:53
There is a ton on this already, and much of it is very current.

uglyducky
10-13-13, 01:49
Hey guys im looking at buying my first 1911, and was looking for some input. Im sure there are a ton of threads on this in the search function, but im looking for input on current production 1911's. This gun would be mostly a range toy but at the same time i would want to be able to rely on it as a defensive weapon if i ever had too. I would like to keep the price under $1500.

For your price range, Dan wesson Valor or Springfield TRP are two VERY solid 1911's. I would stay away from Kimber all together but that's just been my (bad) experience with a number of their pistols. I don't have any experience with Sig or S&W 1911's but I'd stay with the two I mentioned as I believe them to be the best production 1911's out there. YMMV

G4PI09
10-13-13, 09:58
Wake- Roger that I'll go back Do some more reading.

Uglyducky- thanks for the input, I'd like to go with Springfield, it's really between the range officer, loaded, and mc operator. Is the difference between the operator and TRP pretty significant or no?

Wake27
10-13-13, 10:21
Wake- Roger that I'll go back Do some more reading.

Uglyducky- thanks for the input, I'd like to go with Springfield, it's really between the range officer, loaded, and mc operator. Is the difference between the operator and TRP pretty significant or no?

I think there's actually a specific thread on that. You'll also find several on Colt v. Springfield. Both are great.

Kaboom
10-13-13, 13:04
Do a search for Severns Custom Thunder in the West Shootout. Some great reviews of various 1911s.

Army Chief
10-13-13, 13:58
Colt XSE Series, 5" (Government). No real need to look any further.

AC

R0CKETMAN
10-13-13, 14:56
I'd add $400 and get a Baer

jmoore
10-13-13, 15:21
I have to give another thumb up to the DW Valor!
Melonite over stainless, factory pistol but hand fitted, no MIM parts, and US made. Mine is all I could want in a 1911 with the exception
of the heinie straight 8 night sights - the dimmest I've ever seen. Accurate, reliable, and (presumably) durable. For a functional fighting pistol - all I can ask for.
john

G4PI09
10-13-13, 18:44
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm going to do some more research on the suggestions you guys have given

GunBugBit
10-13-13, 19:09
For your price range, Dan wesson Valor or Springfield TRP are two VERY solid 1911's.
I own both a TRP and a Valor and can vouch for both. Valors are a little outside of the stated price range but they are darn good 1911s -- all business, built to last, shipped dry (at least mine seemed very dry) and rather tight so you have to know to oil them up before shooting them (I couldn't even field strip mine until I got some oil into it), especially the barrel. TRPs have some MIM but they are fit together very nicely, an excellent combination of reliability and accuracy.

If sent into harm's way I'd take either of these 1911s, no hesitation.

48J
10-13-13, 21:58
I concur with AC. Get the Colt XSE in 5" and be done with it.

duece71
10-14-13, 09:09
Colt, all the way. Read up on Hilton Yams' blog on the 1911, great reading.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/

GunBugBit
10-14-13, 11:08
The black Valor (2010 and later) is finished with a ferritic nitrocarburizing process applied to the stainless steel.

I appreciate the Heinie Straight Eight sights and the thicker barrel bushing.

When you dissect one and examine the areas where hand fitting/polishing was done, and see the mating of sear to hammer, the near-click-fit of the barrel-to-slide interface, and experience the accuracy of this production gun, you wonder why other 1911 makers don't try harder.

There is at least one Big Name 1911 maker that does not do a good job with sear-hammer mating -- you have to request a "special" trigger to get that. Dan Wesson, while not perfect, strives to get this right as a minimum standard on every 1911 they make, and with no MIM parts.

Read Dave Severns' "Thunder In The West Shoot-out" threads (1911 fans will know which forum site these are on -- just Google). The videos are an education in themselves.

ARJ
10-15-13, 08:10
Will you be carrying?

G4PI09
10-15-13, 08:40
After doing some more research the Colt XSE looks to be about perfect, now the hard part will be finding one. The local shops in my area are quoting a 20 to 30 week wait on any Colt 1911.

ARJ- to answer your question, i plan to continue to carry my glock 19 until i can actually find a 1911 and get some trigger time on it

CAVDOC
10-15-13, 09:17
In my area based on current pricing for 1500 I would pick up TWO older colts and have at it!

48J
10-15-13, 21:51
There is at least one 5" Colt XSE on Gunbroker right now.

azngotskills
10-15-13, 23:49
In the $1500 range or so, I would look into the Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson Valor...I personally think Colts are overpriced for the features/performance/fit but you do pay for knowing it was the original 1911 classic. Also I would recommend not getting a series 80 equipped one personally

Another option is getting a basic Colt or Springfield for $600-$800 and customizing it to suit your preferences (gunsmith or yourself if inclined)