PDA

View Full Version : Are SOG knives typically garbage or is it just the Flashback model?

feedramp
10-13-13, 10:47
Picked up a SOG Flashback.

The biggest issue is the mechanism is incredibly stiff, doesn't disengage properly, and working it a lot does not seem to help resolve it. It requires two hands to operate it at all, which is ridiculous. And it doesn't seem to improve over time, it's simply manufactured wrong. A

This is the first time I've received a knife this sub-par in quality.

Can anyone else comment on whether SOG is generally better than this, or is this something I should have known better about?

Thanks.

levik97
10-13-13, 11:34
I haven't seen a lot of SOGs but I know my cousin has a SOG folder (not sure what model but it isn't the same as yours) that broke within a day or two of getting it. Granted, I don't know what he did to it to cause it, but the lock is what broke. A lot of people who know a lot more about knives than me won't touch SOG with a ten foot pole.

Levi

rero360
10-13-13, 11:47
That's odd, I've carried a SOG trident daily since the summer of '06 including two deployments (currently on the 2nd) with the exception of the blade currently starting to dull, its been a great knife for me. I was given a Strider SNG and while that is a fine knife, just too large for everyday carry and the handle is too aggressive, would probably wear holes thru my clothing.

RearwardAssist
10-13-13, 11:52
I have carried a sog flash2 for close to 4 years now and it gets used and abused has held up great.

Generalpie
10-13-13, 17:08
I've only had a couple but they have been fine middle of the road gear.

The break is a heat treat problem not steel related. That is probably AUS-8 which is a good steel, not great but fine for a daily user.

I would have at least sent it back. No idea on how their policies are on defects. Would be nice to know, that often makes or breaks a company.

Kain
10-13-13, 18:33
I've owned two SOG Tridents, a Flash II, A SEAL 2000, SEAL Pup, and a Dessert Dagger and have not had any issue. Granted the Tridents, and SEAL Pup were the only ones I beat the hell out of but never had any failures, prefer Emerson for a daily carry, but one Trident was carried hard for two years on and off.

Would contact the company and go from there, a failure like that...

feedramp
10-13-13, 19:06
I've heard much better things about their older designs. Thanks for the feedback, all.

britishtq
10-13-13, 21:28
I have a dog as a beater. I really want a bench made but can't justify it.

Kchen986
10-13-13, 22:22
Carried a Flash & Flash II for a couple of years. Good EDC knives when I had them. Kept its edge. Only complaint was the lack of reinforcements in the grip, the flashes seemed a little wobbly.

I've since upgraded to ZT knives, but the ZTs costs about 2-3x the Flash.

I had no issues with the assisted opening mechanism. I'd contact SOG and get them to fix it.

blade_68
10-13-13, 23:33
I've got a few "SOG" knives / tools, the seal pup knife moved quickly to a fishing box knife. There "para tool" failed in less than a week, the power tool held up well. A few of the unremarkable ones I don't remember the names snapped the blade or tips off. not even using to pry with them. 2 of the small "neck" knives no problems. The reason I normally use Benchmade, Emerson and Coldsteel.. other EDCs Swiss Army knife and USA made Stockman knife. I have seen Buck knives with the same issues. I have a lot of knives in the fail block. There is a lot of "brushmasters" out there:D

msstate56
10-16-13, 23:41
I bought one of their machetes a couple of years ago and the cutting edge bent and folded over on itself hacking saplings and small limbs around the house. I threw it away, and spend my money now on better gear.

Fly8791
10-21-13, 12:46
I have a SOG Spec Elite that has been great. Their ARC lock (a clone of benchmade's axis) is a solid and sound design.

The problem is the Flash 2/Aegis and Flashback have a piston lock and the piston lock is not very good or secure.
My Flash 2 shit the bed, after 2 weeks of the lightest possible use. They are garbage in my (limited) experiance.
Also be aware that this piston lock is sometimes labled as the "ARC" lock when it is clearly not.

Their fixed blades are usable if you are ok with the AUS8 steel. And their folders that have the true ARC lock (Spec Elite, Vulcan, etc) Are decent. But stay far away from their low end stuff you find a box stores like walmart.

The only problem with the Vulcan/Spec Elite knives from SOG is that they are about $100 (or more) knives and that puts you well into the price range of Spyderco and Benchmade.
The Spec Elite is a good knife with good steel (VG10) but everything it does, is done as good or better by Benchmade and Spyderco.

WickedWillis
10-21-13, 13:03
I carry a SOG Trident daily and it's great. Nice and lightweight, and it hasn't dulled very much since I've been carrying it (almost 2 years) for the price, it does everything I need a knife to.

Caduceus
10-21-13, 14:43
I have a Flash II that I care so much about I've lost in my bedroom. As in, there are others I go to first. Not that it's not a good blade profile (and I'm fine with the steel), just the plastic handle feels like junk.

Got rid of a SealPup too - handle just tore my hands up. Blade too thick for what I wanted.

I have a Sog Multiplier (I think?) in my truck with my tools, and it's been pretty solid.

maximus83
10-25-13, 23:30
I've had several SOGs with mixed results. A Flash II that had to be adjusted 3 times for the assisted opening, and finally returned (they were cool about the return). A Trident that also had to be returned for issues with the assisted opening. A X-ray Vision Tanto folder, it still works great except I hate the Tanto profile and wish I hadn't gotten that. A Pentagon Elite II that is an awesome larger folder, still carry sometimes. Have a Seal Pup that works great as a lightweight small fixed blade and I keep in an emergency kit in my car.

Overall they aren't usually high-end knives, but most of those I've had were good value working knives and they had a good return policy on the two problem models. The lower-priced folders I'm less fond of; they use cheaper steels and usually their opening mechanisms didn't hold up well for me under use. I don't buy them anymore as I don't like most of their designs and steel options, I lean more to Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT. Not bad knives at their price point, but I just don't prefer them anymore.

kevN
10-26-13, 01:54
I had a small one, maybe a twitch? It was okay, but I think the Kerhsaw's are in the same price range and much better.

Fly8791
10-30-13, 08:08
Kershaw makes some great knives for the price. I give them away as gifts all the time.
Funny how now my dad carries a Blur, mom has a OSO Sweet and my younger sister has a Volt 2. I even gave my LT at work a Tone because he likes tanto points. They all LOVE the knives (My sister finds excuses to use hers.)

I honestly don't know how Gerber stay's in buisness when Kershaw is around. Why spend $50-$70 on a Gerber turd when $30-$50 can get you a very usable Kershaw?
It is the knife equivelant of buying a $1200 Bushmaster when you could have had a $1000 Colt.

13MPG
11-01-13, 12:25
I have been using a SOG Visionary II for several months and it's held up very well. The blade is marked Seki-Japan.