PDA

View Full Version : "IB" HK91 A3 Range Report

HKGuns
10-13-13, 17:46
I picked this rifle up a few weeks ago and wrung it out briefly with irons two weekends ago. Irons were close enough for Govt. work after three shots so I stopped there as there was no need to adjust the sights.

Today I brought along my newly acquired Hensoldt Fero Z24 to sight it in on the rifle and get a feel for how it shoots scoped.

As you can see below, not only does the rifle look good, it shoots very accurately as well. None of this is me as it is literally my second range trip with the rifle and I am a good shot, not a crack shot.

Range: 100 Yards
Ammo: Sierra "Atomic" 125gr JSP "Tactical" low recoil.
Rounds fired: ~50 (I don't track shots)
Ejection: Brisk at 2:00 and 15 - 20'
Failures: None of any kind
Configuration: As pictured less bayonet

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v120/p2070444439-5.jpg

The first photo shows the first three shot group at 100 yards to get a point of reference for scope adjustments.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v90/p434436690-5.jpg

This one is my last 5 shot group shot at the 100 yard range......you can see a few other shots in the frame from walking the adjustments to the center of the target. That group is a very good one as well.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v117/p268788214-5.jpg

Lastly, I took it to the 200 yard range to verify the 100 yard sight in. I removed the claw mount and scope while driving to the 200 yard range. I was impressed with the zero hold as well after taking it off and putting it back on the rifle.

Range: 200 Yards
Ammo: Sierra "Atomic" 125gr JSP "Tactical" low recoil.
Rounds fired: ~15
Ejection: Brisk at 2:00 and 20'
Failures: None of any kind
Configuration: As pictured above, less bayonet
(Scope was removed between ranges so zero hold was excellent as well after re-mounting the scope)

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v98/p331713742-5.jpg

Needless to say I am extremely pleased with this new to me HK91.

SteyrAUG
10-13-13, 23:38
Impressive shooting for running a A3 stock.

ESK
10-14-13, 11:24
Why are all the holes punched Exactly The Same on all targets?

HKGuns
10-14-13, 11:40
Why are all the holes punched Exactly The Same on all targets?

If I understand the question correctly, it is because that is how you mark the holes in the software doing the shot group analysis.

ESK
10-14-13, 12:17
OK, that's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

If I understand the question correctly, it is because that is how you mark the holes in the software doing the shot group analysis.

JPB
10-19-13, 17:40
Thanks for posting this. I have a thing for '80s era hardware (HK, FN, Poly Tech, Norinco, Valmet, Gallil, you get he idea...). maybe I'll do a review on some vintage iron as well. Good to see I'm not the only one bangin' the classics.

KBAR-04
10-19-13, 17:53
Classic? Damn you make me feel old..I bought these guns new..

Most of the HK G3 type rifles Ive shot have done pretty well, My 1974 HK41 is a tack driver.

Thanks for posting this. I have a thing for '80s era hardware (HK, FN, Poly Tech, Norinco, Valmet, Gallil, you get he idea...). maybe I'll do a review on some vintage iron as well. Good to see I'm not the only one bangin' the classics.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-19-13, 19:47
I have been crying out in the wilderness that these old HK's are accurate as hell.

The_War_Wagon
10-19-13, 19:53
I have been crying out in the wilderness that these old HK's are accurate as hell.

You don't have to cry to me - I bought one in '90 I wish I had BACK... :cray:

I make do with a PTR91 now. ;)

HKGuns
10-19-13, 21:31

Well, you certainly don't have to convince me now. :) The recoil, even with the A3 stock, is pretty negligible as well which makes it very pleasant to shoot.

I listen very carefully to all of these seller's remorse stories. I guess it is why I've never sold a rifle or a pistol once I've decided to buy!

JPB
10-20-13, 10:52
Classic? Damn you make me feel old..I bought these guns new..

Most of the HK G3 type rifles Ive shot have done pretty well, My 1974 HK41 is a tack driver.

You're going to kick yourself if you manage to sell that 50.63 on the Files (I'm assuming that's you).

GNXII
10-20-13, 12:01
Ive had a 91 since 1999 when a buddy needed cash ASAP & I had a desire (+ plus cash). It was NIB and I have never regretted the purchase. Others Ive known were looking 91/93/94 were searching for a long time for good ones so dont sell it. Ironically, a neighbor called me about a year ago to see if I'd be interested in his Springfield/ Hellenic Arms SAR-8/' 91 that was NIB. A close friend of mine had been saving for a beater SAR-8 that a dealer had so I passed it to him. Another happy guy HK guy! I enjoy my classic 80's long arms and will pass them on to my sons one day as we probably will never see them imported or made again!

jamaicanj
10-21-13, 13:29
Thanks for sharing