PDA

View Full Version : geissele trigger question for those who know them well..

dcnyli
10-14-13, 06:42
So had installed an SSA-E onto my AR and it was a great trigger, I spoke to the people at Geissele about the trigger, the 2nd stage was too easy for me and I wanted something with slightly more "crack", without hesitation they sent me a "blue" spring to swap out which made a very nice difference and now I am beyond 1000% happy.

with that spring swap did I change it from an SSA-E into an SSA or different model so to speak?

I will say they were beyond accommodating, took time to answer all my questions, shipped out the spring at no charge and I am completely happy with it!!

Ryo
10-14-13, 07:49
I sell Geissele triggers and none of them have a blue spring. Without knowing your pull weight, there's no way I can tell if you changed a SSA-E to a SSA.

_Stormin_
10-14-13, 10:11
It's kinda difficult to say without putting a scale to the trigger, but it sounds like that's the case (at least in pull weight).

I can say that I haven't seen a blue OEM spring, but it could be that they color code them for fast and accurate customer support claims.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 10:17
Gotcha, I will see if i can use my friends trigger weight machine(not sure the correct name) next time i see him to identify.

Thank you for the help, none of the paperwork identified color coded springs, so I assume it's an internal thing for them...

CoryCop25
10-14-13, 10:26
I have installed Geissele triggers with blue and red disconnector springs. I don't think that the springs designate anything in particular. I think they were just pat of a lot of springs Geissele was using at the time.
If your modified trigger now has a second stage pull weight of 2.5# then you now indeed have an SSA. There are many spring configurations to change your existing trigger into something else. For example, changing your trigger spring in a S3G trigger will make it a VTAC trigger. If I can remember, the difference between an SSA and an SSA-E is in fact the disconnector spring. You can also tweak a G2S trigger into a G2S-E with a little modification.

BTL BRN
10-14-13, 10:36
If I can remember, the difference between an SSA and an SSA-E is in fact the disconnector spring. You can also tweak a G2S trigger into a G2S-E with a little modification.

I think you are correct, I don't have my rifles in front of me at the moment; but I believe that the SSA-E I have has a yellow disconnector spring in it, while the SSA isn't colored.

SteveL
10-14-13, 11:25
Why not just call back and ask them?

matemike
10-14-13, 11:28
My question is: If you did change it from an SSA-E to an SSA with a $1 spring, then why is there a $20 price difference between those two triggers?

One would think they could go the other way and buy an SSA, then add an inexpensive spring to make it enhanced.

dcnyli
10-14-13, 11:29
I actually will call them and ask, good point on the reply above. I don't question the price albeit a bit high if in fact it's just a spring but curious minds want to know...

F-Trooper05
10-14-13, 13:55
My question is: If you did change it from an SSA-E to an SSA with a $1 spring, then why is there a $20 price difference between those two triggers?

One would think they could go the other way and buy an SSA, then add an inexpensive spring to make it enhanced.

The SSA-E and SSA have different disconnectors and trigger springs.

MistWolf
10-14-13, 14:25
The break of the SSA is described as being like breaking a carrot. The break of the SSA-E is described as like breaking an icicle, what is commonly described as "breaking like a glass rod". The SSA has just a slight bit more travel than the SSA-E in the final stage, which softens how the break feels. Changing the spring won't change that travel and won't soften the sear release. In fact, with a heavier pull at the final stage, your SSA-E trigger may feel even more crisp.

Changing the spring weight does not turn the SSA-E into an SSA trigger. It turns it into an SSA-E trigger with a heavier pull

CoryCop25
10-14-13, 14:44
The adjustable Match series triggers can be changed to a different configuration by just changing the trigger and or hammer springs.
I have done this before by using kits that Geissele provides distributors.
For example a Service rifle trigger can be changed to a DMR trigger by swapping springs.

MistWolf
10-14-13, 16:08
But what actually changes? Nothing but the pull weight. Because Service Rifle has a minimum pull weight requirement, G- offers a trigger that fills the requirement. A DMR trigger has no such requirement. So, they offer the same trigger with different springs to change pull weight, but nothing else- travel, creep, backlash & reset distances remain the same. G- simply gives them different names and assembly numbers so their customers can order the pull weight they want.

I can change travel, creep, pull weight and backlash on a Remington 700 trigger with an Allen key. But the springs, parts and geometry all remains the same, it's the same trigger regardless of how I adjust it

CoryCop25
10-14-13, 16:25
I have swapped out trigger hammer and disconnect springs in these triggers. I unfortunately don't pay close enough attention when I pull the parts. I have taken a trigger from the package and then taken a package that has said say "DMR kit" and replaced the parts that were contained in the package. If you go on Geissele's sight, you can see that the triggers are identical but have different springs.

TehLlama
10-15-13, 06:08
My SSA-E has a touch less overtravel, and feels like it breaks over a slightly shorter distance from the first stage takeup. Just my feel on why the -E costs more - I still like my normal SSA's the majority of the time, but I think I'll end up owning at least another SSA-E for precision oriented rifles.

cdb
10-15-13, 07:39
If I can remember, the difference between an SSA and an SSA-E is in fact the disconnector spring.

Might not just be the spring. When I talked to them about my SSA a few years ago they offered to convert it to an SSA-E. When I got it back it had the sear surface reground as well as the lighter springs.

Not only did they refuse my efforts to pay them for the work, but also sent me a free hat. Best customer service I've experienced.

Abraham
10-15-13, 15:17
My SSA-E, just like it is, is just right for me, but it did take me a bit of time to get used to it being such a light pull.

For precision shooting, I love it.

DreadPirateMoyer
10-15-13, 16:56
What MistWolf said is correct. You cannot change an SSA-E into an SSA or vice versa. They are different triggers with different sear geometries.

Changing your SSA-E springs for SSA springs only changes the pull weight. It is still an SSA-E trigger otherwise. It will still feel different than an SSA.

Quick Draw
10-15-13, 17:11
The break of the SSA is described as being like breaking a carrot. The break of the SSA-E is described as like breaking an icicle, what is commonly described as "breaking like a glass rod". The SSA has just a slight bit more travel than the SSA-E in the final stage, which softens how the break feels. Changing the spring won't change that travel and won't soften the sear release. In fact, with a heavier pull at the final stage, your SSA-E trigger may feel even more crisp.

Changing the spring weight does not turn the SSA-E into an SSA trigger. It turns it into an SSA-E trigger with a heavier pull

This is by far the best explanation I have seen on this thread.

I am happy with my SSA-E as shipped.